Words/phrases you hate

Humor and off topic conversation

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Linkin5
County Board

Words/phrases you hate

Post by Linkin5 »

I hate the words epic and fail, especially together.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

They fail epically.
Go Cubs Go
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

"Heartland", when used by WOWT news. :)

"Web Channel", need I say more. :)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I think we have 8 or 10 threads about this subject now....

Towne Pointe Centre etc   :;):
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I think "mixed-use" has run its course, as well.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

S33 wrote:I think "mixed-use" has run its course, as well.
LOL, I agree. :)
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

the overuse of the word "ninja"
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

ricko wrote:the overuse of the word "ninja"
Overused Ninja is not amused.

(Dammit...  what IS the trick to sharing the URL from Flickr?)
Stable genius.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Big E wrote:

If you click the little "share" toggle at the top and go to BBCode it'll spit you out a different img tag. But you have to kind of filter it out from all the other stuff. I'm not sure if there's an easier way.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

That's ridiculous.  Good joke ruined by Flickr.
Stable genius.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

"trending now..."
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

YOLO
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Big E wrote:

If you go to Actions button at the top and View All Sizes, those versions of the image have a static URL. Just choose the size you want, right click on the picture and copy the URL.

Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Would have been funnier earlier.
Stable genius.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

That joke really flickred out.

8)
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

After watching tv for the last couple of hours I would like to reiterate I |expletive| hate the word epic.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

I hate when political types talk about families balancing their budgets "around the kitchen table." I hate "hubby".   I hate "meme".  I hate "utilize".  Much like Jerry when I sneeze I would prefer someone say "you are so good looking" instead of "Bless you."
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

"Baby Bump"
Professor Woland
Library Board

MadMartin8 wrote:"Baby Bump"
"Preggers" "Preggo" or any similar substitute for pregnant.
Blade1655
Home Owners Association

Post by Blade1655 »

“I seen…”

Waiters or waitresses asking “How are you guys today? What can I get you guys?” to a table of men and women.

Each example makes me cringe and each seems to be uniquely Nebraskan…
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Professor Woland wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:"Baby Bump"
"Preggers" "Preggo" or any similar substitute for pregnant.
I just normally say "what's up, fatass"? Then I run.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Professor Woland wrote:I hate when political types talk about families balancing their budgets "around the kitchen table." I hate "hubby".   I hate "meme".  I hate "utilize".  
Agree.

Also hate seeing babies with "wheel of fortune" names (spin the wheel and add a consonant onto aiden and you have any yuppie name for boys or girls)  but most, I hate seeing babies with mis-spelled names.   "Gosh, that is a cute baby, what's his name?  Answer Qjy'Ahhneee, pronounced johnny."  

While overused words are an annoyance for a while, little Qjy'Ahhneee is going to have to live with that every day.  

As a pediatrician, please do your babies a favor and stick to simple, properly spelled, gender specific names for the contents of your pregger baby bumps.  For those who have  non-pregger "baby bumps", well, you already know the name of what's inside.  Budweiser.
Professor Woland
Library Board

bigredmed wrote:
Professor Woland wrote:I hate when political types talk about families balancing their budgets "around the kitchen table." I hate "hubby".   I hate "meme".  I hate "utilize".  
Agree.

Also hate seeing babies with "wheel of fortune" names (spin the wheel and add a consonant onto aiden and you have any yuppie name for boys or girls)  but most, I hate seeing babies with mis-spelled names.   "Gosh, that is a cute baby, what's his name?  Answer Qjy'Ahhneee, pronounced johnny."  

While overused words are an annoyance for a while, little Qjy'Ahhneee is going to have to live with that every day.  

As a pediatrician, please do your babies a favor and stick to simple, properly spelled, gender specific names for the contents of your pregger baby bumps.  For those who have  non-pregger "baby bumps", well, you already know the name of what's inside.  Budweiser.
Terrible baby names are border line child abuse.  If your kid's name resembles that of a fictional country music performer it's a bad name.  I also groan if people have multiple kids and give them all names that start with the same letter "These are my kids Jade, Jackson, Jersey, and Jassachusetts."
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Blade1655 wrote:
Waiters or waitresses asking “How are you guys today? What can I get you guys?” to a table of men and women.
That isn't Nebraskan. Its actually a component of most languages in the world. When there is a large group of people of both genders, you use a masculine plural to denote them.

For example, in Spanish, guys are chicos, girls are chicas, and together they are chicos.

And I've heard people from all over the world say "You guys." Sometimes even girls will say it to other girls.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Professor Woland wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
Agree.

Terrible baby names are border line child abuse.  If your kid's name resembles that of a fictional country music performer it's a bad name.  I also groan if people have multiple kids and give them all names that start with the same letter "These are my kids Jade, Jackson, Jersey, and Jassachusetts."
Someone in Lincoln named their child Felony, no joke.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Linkin5 wrote:
Professor Woland wrote:
bigredmed wrote:

Someone in Lincoln named their child Felony, no joke.
Lemonjello

Orangejello

Female

Nosmo King

All sadly, real names here in Omaha.

Between the misspelled names, the non-gender specific names, , the wheel of fortune names, the bizarre alternate universe names, and those abominable shared initial names, its no wonder that when a kid grows up he wants to change his name to T-Dog.

Last comment on this:  Never name your daughter Angel, Hope, or Destiny.  They will have no hope, as it will be their destiny to be an angel before their time.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

"I owed $100,000 to the IRS and they got it down to $8,000"
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

bigredmed wrote:Last comment on this:  Never name your daughter Angel, Hope, or Destiny.  They will have no hope, as it will be their destiny to be a stripper.
Fixed.
Stable genius.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Big E wrote:
bigredmed wrote:Last comment on this:  Never name your daughter Angel, Hope, or Destiny.  They will have no hope, as it will be their destiny to be a stripper.
Fixed.
haha i thought the same dam thing
Go Cubs Go
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

"Tumbled" and "Gave Back" in the daily market reports.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

I hate "I could care less" because 93% of people don't realize they're saying it wrong.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ShawJ wrote:I hate "I could care less" because 93% of people don't realize they're saying it wrong.
And because those same 93% really do care, they are just too pi$$ed off and don't want to admit it :;)
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

"Like".    

Not sure when inserting " I was like ", "she was like" ...  into daily vocabulary became routine, but it sounds idiotic.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

bbinks wrote:"Like".    
Like totally, fer-shure, ya know, totally yesterday, to the max!
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

"Please advise."

Usually this follows a question (or series of questions), and you wouldn't ask if you didn't want an answer.
byrdrules
Home Owners Association

Post by byrdrules »

bbinks wrote:"Like".    

Not sure when inserting " I was like ", "she was like" ...  into daily vocabulary became routine, but it sounds idiotic.
[youtube][/youtube]
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

I absolutely hate the word 'eclectic'.  It's the most over used word in development and tourism.  And usually,  whatever is being described as eclectic all looks the same.  It's like people think they are cool by using that word.  It's used to describe every city, chamber of commerce, retail area, etc.  Apparently everything is eclectic.

I also hate the phrase 'It's a good place to raise a family.'.  I don't get what that means; just about every place is good to raise a family.  To me, that phrase is a compliment people fall back on because their city, state, region, or general area has nothing to promote.  I hear it a lot locally when people say Omaha has businesses and fun things to do, but Lincoln or some other part of Nebraska is a good place to raise a family.  It really drives me nuts when people say Omaha is a good place to raise a family as opposed to some other part of the country.  It's like saying Omaha is quiet and boring when in reality there's a lot going on here.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

twiztid1 wrote:'It's a good place to raise a family.'.
That phrase is a "dog whistle" to certain types. Same as "front office material" and "all American" on headhunter summaries.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

"Finding yourself" or "soul searching."   :barf:

Oh yeah, and Obamacare, like it's an actual program.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

nebport5 wrote:Oh yeah, and Obamacare, like it's an actual program.
What are the odds that people will ask at government offices how to sign up for "Obamacare"?  (that is, if at least some portion of it remains after the impending SCOTUS ruling)