Streets Should Get One of These

Humor and off topic conversation

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

jessep28
Planning Board

Streets Should Get One of These

Post by jessep28 »

Party Pals Say Let the Good Times Roll—On a Bicycle Built for 16
Companies Offer a Seat at the Bar, Which is Also a Giant Bike; Perils of Ill-Chosen Footwear

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000087 ... 97006.html
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

There is one of these in the Old Market.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Yeah either that or some midol.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Yep, I'm a woman having her period and I'm just grouchy. Funny. And mature. Good job.

Yeah, Jessep, there's totally a company that runs one or two of those around the Old Market. I feel pretty ambivalent about them, but people seem to enjoy them.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Yep, I'm a woman having her period and I'm just grouchy. Funny. And mature. Good job.

Yeah, Jessep, there's totally a company that runs one or two of those around the Old Market. I feel pretty ambivalent about them, but people seem to enjoy them.
You understood it!  Good job!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I didn't know Omaha has those mobile bar carts already. I thought it was just the Pedibikes, or whatever they call them.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

jessep28 wrote:I didn't know Omaha has those mobile bar carts already. I thought it was just the Pedibikes, or whatever they call them.
Yeah there is one I am pretty sure in the old market.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Linkin5 wrote:
jessep28 wrote:I didn't know Omaha has those mobile bar carts already. I thought it was just the Pedibikes, or whatever they call them.
Yeah there is one I am pretty sure in the old market.
I don't doubt you. I just didn't know.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Linkin5 wrote:
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Yep, I'm a woman having her period and I'm just grouchy. Funny. And mature. Good job.

You may think that counts as a comeback, but your original assertion (that I am a grouchy, menstruating woman) is still just as lame and immature.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:

You may think that counts as a comeback, but your original assertion (that I am a grouchy, menstruating woman) is still just as lame and immature.
Well, the fact is that you are grouchy.  I still say that if you substitute the word communism for interstates and suburbs your rants make for interesting reading.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Congratulations! You all win genius awards for picking up on the fact that I'm "grouchy." I've really been trying to hide it. I'm not at all surprised that my hyper-honesty regarding American cities and society is perceived by many as "grouchy." So simplistic. Anyway, I get it; no one likes hearing that their way of life is a mistake that should never have happened.
NovakOmaha wrote:I still say that if you substitute the word communism for interstates and suburbs your rants make for interesting reading.
Yeah? Let's try it:

The suburbs are bad. Substitution: Communism is bad.

The interstates are bad. Substitution: Communism is bad.

I think you are missing something.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Do you ever entertain the thought that maybe you are wrong and others are correct, or even somehwer in between.

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Congratulations! You all win genius awards for picking up on the fact that I'm "grouchy." I've really been trying to hide it. I'm not at all surprised that my hyper-honesty regarding American cities and society is perceived by many as "grouchy." So simplistic. Anyway, I get it; no one likes hearing that their way of life is a mistake that should never have happened.
NovakOmaha wrote:I still say that if you substitute the word communism for interstates and suburbs your rants make for interesting reading.
Yeah? Let's try it:

For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

nebugeater wrote:Do you ever entertain the thought that maybe you are wrong and others are correct, or even somehwer in between.
Absolutely. Oh, wait. That was a rhetorical question, wasn't it?
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Congratulations! You all win genius awards for picking up on the fact that I'm "grouchy." I've really been trying to hide it. I'm not at all surprised that my hyper-honesty regarding American cities and society is perceived by many as "grouchy." So simplistic. Anyway, I get it; no one likes hearing that their way of life is a mistake that should never have happened.
Yeah? Let's try it:

Simplistic?  I'll own that.  It's simple.  My way of life is a mistake and never should have happened.  And you and Mumford and the enlightened ones should decide how, where, and with whom I should live?  Yes, you and your wife need to leave at once as I just don't see that happening.  If I may ask, where do you and your beloved intend to live?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I don't want to dictate how, where, or with whom (not sure where that one came from) you should live. I just wish Americans had had the wherewithal, foresight, and self-restraint to do things right the first time (indeed, out of cultural self-preservation!).

Unfortunately, that's not the case.

We intend to emigrate to France (or, as I prefer to think of it, to seek cultural asylum in France).
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

By who's definition?
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I don't want to dictate how, where, or with whom (not sure where that one came from) you should live. I just wish Americans had had the wherewithal, foresight, and self-restraint to do things right the first time (indeed, out of cultural self-preservation!).

We intend to emigrate to France (or, as I prefer to think of it, to seek cultural asylum in France).
My guess is you will never be happy here so I would sugest you start packing for your own health and peice of mind.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I don't want to dictate how, where, or with whom (not sure where that one came from) you should live. I just wish Americans had had the wherewithal, foresight, and self-restraint to do things right the first time (indeed, out of cultural self-preservation!).

Having spent time in France I am inclined to say you may want to rethink.  They may not be sinking into the 7th level of .....  but they aren't exactly paradise either.  Surprising.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

NovakOmaha wrote:Having spent time in France I am inclined to say you may want to rethink.  They may not be sinking into the 7th level of .....  but they aren't exactly paradise either.  Surprising.
That's a little cryptic; I'm not sure what you're referring to. I, too, have spent a great deal of time there and speak the language fluently. Do you? It's hard to understand a nation or it's people if you don't speak their language.

Anyway, I've come to my conclusions in life and you have come to yours. One of the conclusions I have come to through experience in the US and in France is that the French have a functioning society and a culture that acknowledges and values human dignity, rationality, and the human soul. None of which I can say about America or its people, which, in all honestly, truly breaks my heart. I wish it wasn't like that. It's like having a father that beats you; you want to love him because he's your father, but you can't deny the fact that he repeatedly hurts you and has no regard for your well-being.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Oh nos!!!

http://worldcrunch.com/culture-society/ ... e/c3s3972/
As a result, commute times are increasing. The average French person now lives 15 kilometers from his or her place of employment. Although the largest cities have good public transportation, elsewhere the car dominates ever more as the primary mode of transportation.

“We are following the American model of urban sprawl, which presents a problem for municipalities,” says Jean-Loup Msika, an urban planner who opposes this kind of "horizontal" development. “It is much more expensive to bring services to far-off areas that are not densely populated.”
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

New French development, even auto-oriented suburban development, makes America's suburbs and exurbs look like the ninth circle of heck.

Many French people might look at certain forms of new construction that are automobile-oriented and say "this is so American" because (pathetically) "America" is virtually synonymous with automobile-orientation. But it would be like an American looking at, say, Village Pointe, and saying, "man, we are really following the European model with developments like this."

What I'm saying is that it is laughably inaccurate to say that France is doing ANYTHING by the American model.

What they have done is managed to observe and avoid the failures of the American model while still accommodating 21st Century appetites for private automobile mobility (i.e. maintaining a safe, civilized road system that subordinates the automobile in appropriate contexts), rather than rearranging their entire society to accommodate the automobile, which is what we have done here, with spectacularly dreadful results.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

The funniest thing about you still posting is nobody believes or cares about anything you say, probably pretty similar to your actual life.  You are a walking talking sad joke.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

That no one cares about what I'm saying (which is pretty much totally true) isn't so much a funny thing about me or the fact that I still post, nor is it so much that I am a walking talking sad joke (as you say), but rather is the most tragic thing about this country and how truly sad it is that Americans have so blindly and obliviously walked right into their own cultural demise.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:That no one cares about what I'm saying (which is totally true) isn't so much a funny thing about me or the fact that I still post, nor is it so much that I am a walking talking sad joke (as you say), but rather is the most tragic thing about this country and how truly sad it is that Americans have so blindly and obliviously walked right into their own cultural demise.
And even funnier, this is how you view the world.  Also the reason you feel entitled to speak down to and insult people.  In the words of Jeffrey Lebowski, you're not wrong you're just an assh0le.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

No. Not the world. Very much just the unique aberration that we call "America."

Being considered an assh0le comes with the territory of speaking honestly and frankly about our country in our country; it's something I've accepted and come to terms with. So at the risk of being considered an assh0le, for as long as I am still stuck here I am going to beat America into the ground with honesty about her own failures.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:No. Not the world. Very much just the unique aberration that we call "America."

Being considered an assh0le comes with the territory of speaking honestly and frankly about our country in our country; it's something I've accepted and come to terms with. So at the risk of being considered an assh0le, for as long as I am still stuck here I am going to beat America into the ground with honesty about her own failures.
You are a martyr streets, a true visionary.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

jessep28 wrote:Image
Nah.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Linkin5, you're giving away more and more of your own sense of inferiority with each post. Let it go.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Linkin5, you're giving away more and more of your own sense of inferiority with each post. Let it go.
You are so right.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Linkin5, you're giving away more and more of your own sense of inferiority with each post. Let it go.
Hey Nancy, Pot-kettle
Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:We intend to emigrate to France (or, as I prefer to think of it, to seek cultural asylum in France).
Equal Opportunity Hater.

Proudly oppressing the rest of Omaha with my suburbia lifestyle since 1999.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

What does France have to do with a bicycle bar?