Trailer

[youtube][/youtube]

Full Movie

[youtube][/youtube]
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I think I've seen this trailer before. I had high hopes, given the title and the caption "Heaven or He11" at the beginning, but I don't think this film is what I had hoped it would be.

Anyway, thanks for posting.

While we're on the subject of documentaries, though, I have a recommendation for everyone who enjoys this forum. It's called The Pruitt-Igoe Myth: An Urban History. It is one of the finest documentaries I have seen. Focusing on the City of St. Louis and the ill-fated Pruitt-Igoe housing projects, it tells the story of American cities, and, perhaps unwittingly, of America itself. Even if you don't feel the way I do about this country and its cities, this film is nothing short of compelling.

[youtube][/youtube]

I know it is available to view instantly on Netflix.
Last edited by StreetsOfOmaha on Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

^I've seen that documentary it is extremely good.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Whoa! Common ground!  :;): Yeah, it is seriously really, really good. I was quite blown away by it.

Thanks for the comment.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I first found out about Pruitt-Igoe midway through college and for some reason started researching it all the time.  It's an extremely interesting combination of urban planning, architectural, and societal failures.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Haha. Wow, we are very similar in this regard. Yes, I too have found the whole thing endlessly fascinating in its implications for American cities, architecture, and society.

The documentary paints such a vivid picture of that time. It's incredibly good.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I watched about half of it last night. I might try to finish it tonight.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

The Pruitt-Igoe Myth?

Definitely finish it and let us know what you think.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:The Pruitt-Igoe Myth?
Yes, it's been kind of sad so far. I'll definitely let you know what I think once I finish it.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

HR Paperstacks wrote:Yes, it's been kind of sad so far.
You think?  :;):

I definitely teared up at multiple points.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

One thing they didn't explain very well and I can't find information are the "No Men Allowed" and other rules. I understand what the rules say, but not the context or rationale behind them.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I just finished it. And wow! I can't believe something that started so great ended so badly. I think urban flight lead to a lot of the problems that eventually lead to its downfall. Without the tax base, there was no way to keep up the buildings and things just started to fall apart from there.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

jessep28 wrote:One thing they didn't explain very well and I can't find information are the "No Men Allowed" and other rules. I understand what the rules say, but not the context or rationale behind them.
I was very surprised by the "no men allowed" thing, too. You're right. The filmmakers could have elaborated on that more. I think it suffices to understand that it had to do with the institutionalized "morality" (and racism) of public housing policies during that time.

The part that just jabs me right in the heart every time I watch it is toward the end, when the woman chokes back tears and says "When I feel bad... I don't intend to, but I dream about Pruitt and Igoe, and I always see myself standing in the window."
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Looks like I found out what I'm watching Saturday afternoon.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

:)

Chime in with your thoughts afterward.