Plasma TVs

Humor and off topic conversation

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Plasma TVs

Post by skinzfan23 »

The world is running out of plasma TVs
The last company to make plasma TV screens for U.S. consumers said this week that it would stop production of plasma sets in November. The widely expected announcement by LG has put the final nail in plasma TV's coffin.

Samsung (SSNLF) said earlier this year that it too would stop making plasma screens by November.
I have a 50" plasma and I think it is much better than our 60" LED. Of course in rooms that have a lot of light they don't work well because of their reflective screen but in low light situations, the dark colors are much easier to see.
BRoss
IT Director

Re: Plasma TVs

Post by BRoss »

I used to use a 60" plasma as one of my computer monitors, but found out they are not very good for that situation. It wasn't just "burn in" that was a problem, which I knew was somewhat of a problem. I also had problems with "shadows" going horizontally across the screen from dark parts of the windows. I even noticed this problem with video games. I had someone out to warranty repair it, but they said that was kind of normal. It was long after that I switched to a LED and it's been much better ever since.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

HR Paperstacks wrote:I used to use a 60" plasma as one of my computer monitors, but found out they are not very good for that situation. It wasn't just "burn in" that was a problem, which I knew was somewhat of a problem. I also had problems with "shadows" going horizontally across the screen from dark parts of the windows. I even noticed this problem with video games. I had someone out to warranty repair it, but they said that was kind of normal. It was long after that I switched to a LED and it's been much better ever since.
Whoa, a 60 inch computer monitor? Wowza.
No posts exist for this topic
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Yeah plasmas weren't really made for computer or static use. In later years plasma technology was better and solved most of the burn in effect. However, they still suffer from some "ghosting" which is essentially the same thing but not permanent. I know when I leave ESPN on for awhile with the ticker at the bottom and then shut the tv off, the next time you turn it on, you can faintly see the image still. After about 10-20 seconds it goes away.

The other issue they suffer from other than higher cost to operate, was that they run warm. I had a capacitor blow and it was nearly $300 to fix it. I admit that sometimes they have had their problems but the picture is much sharper.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

In 5 years we will all have UHDTVs.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I actually had a modern plasma, so my problem with burn in was the ghosting issue which would eventually go away. If I was programming in Visual Studio for a few hours, I had the ghosting problem for at least a few hours. I sometimes used a screensaver that changed rapidly to get rid of it each time it occurred. The main problem I had was this "shadow" (for a lack of a better word) issue that I noticed with moving images. I don't know if this was as normal as the repairman said, but I did have a pretty good LG TV.

And yes, I have a 60" monitor along with a 37" secondary monitor in my living room which I use with a wireless keyboard and mouse from my couch. I usually watch Netflix on one and browse websites on the other. Which one I use for what depends on what I feel like at the time. Right now I'm typing this on the 37" while watching something on the 60".

Eventually I would love to replace them with 4K TVs because 1080p is actually a lower resolution than actual computer monitors, but for now it works pretty good.