Dying/Dead Shopping Malls

Humor and off topic conversation

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

jessep28
Planning Board

Dying/Dead Shopping Malls

Post by jessep28 »

This guy has a urban exploration YouTube channel. One of his regular features is to tour dead shopping malls. Some of you may find it interesting.

Dead Mall Series:

[youtube][/youtube]
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Busguy2010
County Board

Re: Dying/Dead Shopping Malls

Post by Busguy2010 »

Having a better idea of what kills a mall now, it would be really interesting to see if somebody somewhere could build a new indoor mall. Or, maybe indoor malls are totally a thing of the past and just a few made it through the fire.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah I don't see many being built going forward. Anchor stores are struggling, and even the retailers inside are too. I think the last new enclosed mall in the area will have been Jordan Creek in West Des Moines.

Omaha would be fine with Westroads only. I think the only two that will survive in KC are Oak Park for the Ks side and Independence Center on the Mo side.

Greg
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Greg S wrote:Yeah I don't see many being built going forward. Anchor stores are struggling, and even the retailers inside are too. I think the last new enclosed mall in the area will have been Jordan Creek in West Des Moines.

Omaha would be fine with Westroads only. I think the only two that will survive in KC are Oak Park for the Ks side and Independence Center on the Mo side.

Greg
As women continue to move to task list shopping like men have done since the 80's and kids are less self-transporting and have less ability/incentive to turn into mall rats, I think you are correct. Physical malls are annoying. If you need a shirt and then some dog food, you can go to strip mall stores much more efficiently.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

By referencing the '80s, do you mean like the 1180s AD or 480s BC or something? Have men ever been anything other than list shoppers? Get in, get your item and get the heck out.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

guy4omaha wrote:By referencing the '80s, do you mean like the 1180s AD or 480s BC or something? Have men ever been anything other than list shoppers? Get in, get your item and get the heck out.
Fair point, I do think we have had generations of men, like my dad's who were used to going from place to place looking for the best version of an item.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

That looks like oakview kinda
Go Cubs Go
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Man, a whole mall would be a hard thing to preserve but I think in a few decades after more of these are torn down, the American indoor shopping mall of the '80s and '90s will be romanticized a bit and there will be a push to preserve the ones that remain given how engrained they were in our culture. Familiarity breeds contempt while rarity wins admiration. I think they'll be admired in the same way we now admire some tacky '60s motels a la Palm Springs or shitty dive bars a la Austin.

^This one can probably die though.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert