Work Boot Recommendations

Humor and off topic conversation

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

jessep28
Planning Board

Work Boot Recommendations

Post by jessep28 »

I'm in the market for new work boots. I work in an ag environment, so they need to stand up to mud and chemicals. Safety toe would be nice but not necessary.

I bought some Timberland Pros Endurance models last night, but there have been more reviews reporting premature wear than I'm comfortable with.

Cost isn't an issue. I'll pay for quality.

I'm just curious what people around here buy.

Thank you.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Uffda
County Board

Re: Work Boot Recommendations

Post by Uffda »

jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

If I luck out and they fit, I found some Keens on Amazon over the lunch hour for a hard to beat price. For some reason they had a size that I think will work selling for around $80 under MSRP.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I have worn steel toe work boots part of the time for my work for years and growing up on a farm I wore boots that were the same just not steel toe. I have tried many kinds through the years. I keep going back to Red Wing and no longer try others. Go to the Harney Shoe store on 108th near Valentinos and take a look. They will cost more than many but my experience is they will outlast anything else and in the end are very competitive in a cost per length used. Harney has a good return / guarantee policy too
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

nebugeater wrote:I have worn steel toe work boots part of the time for my work for years and growing up on a farm I wore boots that were the same just not steel toe. I have tried many kinds through the years. I keep going back to Red Wing and no longer try others. Go to the Harney Shoe store on 108th near Valentinos and take a look. They will cost more than many but my experience is they will outlast anything else and in the end are very competitive in a cost per length used. Harney has a good return / guarantee policy too
You're not the first to recommend Haney Shoes. I'm out near York. I wanted to go their Lincoln store on Tuesday evening when I was in town after work, but they close at 6 on Tuesday's.

I've got to take these Timberlands back, so I'll be in the area again soon.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

jessep28 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:I have worn steel toe work boots part of the time for my work for years and growing up on a farm I wore boots that were the same just not steel toe. I have tried many kinds through the years. I keep going back to Red Wing and no longer try others. Go to the Harney Shoe store on 108th near Valentinos and take a look. They will cost more than many but my experience is they will outlast anything else and in the end are very competitive in a cost per length used. Harney has a good return / guarantee policy too
You're not the first to recommend Haney Shoes. I'm out near York. I wanted to go their Lincoln store on Tuesday evening when I was in town after work, but they close at 6 on Tuesday's.

I've got to take these Timberlands back, so I'll be in the area again soon.

For what it is worth I just looked at the Red Wing web site and it shows there is an authorized retailer in York. No idea what variety they stock or what they are like as a store but it may be worth just going and taking a look.

WESTERN EDGE
701 LINCOLN AVE
YORK, NE 68467
402-362-4881
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Random update. I ended up filing a warranty claim on these Keen boots I bought in May. A lace eyelet separated from the leather. Despite attaching a receipt showing that I paid way less than MSRP, Keen gave me a credit for the full retail price. The catch is that it has to be from their website.

I had some friction and callus issues with the outside of my big toe unless I cranked the laces down super tight, so I'm reluctant to get another Keen work boot with a composite toe. I may just go Redwing or whatever they recommend from Haney in Lincoln, and use the credit on a pair of sandals or work shoes instead. A heavy duty shoe would be nice for when I'm not out in the mud, but still could potentially have stuff fall on my toes.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

jessep28 wrote:Random update. I ended up filing a warranty claim on these Keen boots I bought in May. A lace eyelet separated from the leather. Despite attaching a receipt showing that I paid way less than MSRP, Keen gave me a credit for the full retail price. The catch is that it has to be from their website.

I had some friction and callus issues with the outside of my big toe unless I cranked the laces down super tight, so I'm reluctant to get another Keen work boot with a composite toe. I may just go Redwing or whatever they recommend from Haney in Lincoln, and use the credit on a pair of sandals or work shoes instead. A heavy duty shoe would be nice for when I'm not out in the mud, but still could potentially have stuff fall on my toes.
Haneys Shoes are the Jedi of shoes and boots. I just buy what they tell me to. My feet have never been happier.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Didn't get much guidance at the Lincoln store, but at least I can wear the boots for a month and take them back if I don't like them. Settled on some Red Wing 2280's.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

jessep28 wrote:Didn't get much guidance at the Lincoln store, but at least I can wear the boots for a month and take them back if I don't like them. Settled on some Red Wing 2280's.
So you started out with the Timberlands and you didnt like them so you took them back. Then you ordered the ones off the internet and they did not work so you got a credit. Now Redwing boots is the next lucky candidate er I mean unlucky candidate. Something tells me you are not going to like the Redwings either Goldilocks! :o
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

jessep28 wrote:Didn't get much guidance at the Lincoln store, but at least I can wear the boots for a month and take them back if I don't like them. Settled on some Red Wing 2280's.
I am betting you will like this choice.
mgoett
Home Owners Association

Post by mgoett »

Haney shoes in Benson has
the best boots and knowledgeable staff
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

mgoett wrote:Haney shoes in Benson has
the best boots and knowledgeable staff
The Force is strong with them. I pretty much tell them the kind of thing I need to do in the shoes and they tell me what to buy. Much happier feet now.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Three weeks later, I've been very happy with these Red Wings. I did have to take them in after the first week to have the heel counter hammered down, but outside of that, they've been a good boot.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

jessep28 wrote:Three weeks later, I've been very happy with these Red Wings. I did have to take them in after the first week to have the heel counter hammered down, but outside of that, they've been a good boot.

You will find they hold up well too