Incredulously Strange News Stories

Humor and off topic conversation

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Mother Arrested for Buying Kegs for Daughter
KOLN wrote:Lincoln police have arrested a mother for 22 counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor after she bought two kegs of beer for her underage daughter and her friends. When officers arrived at 1:30 in the morning, Flood said they found 22 minors ranging in age from 15 to 20 years old and two kegs of beer purchased by Beckner. Flood said all 22 minors received citations for MIP and inmates of a disorderly house. Flood said there was so much alcohol in the home that the breathalyzers used by officers recorded a .03 just from the air.
Awesome you found it!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Heck, I bet D'Shawn could blow an .03 right now  :P
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

0.03? I would laugh at the poor fool...oh you mean alcohol!
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Road Sign Hacked to Warn of Zombies

This is freaking awesome.

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/Road_signs_warn_of_zombies
Austin drivers making their morning commute were in for a surprise when two road signs on a busy stretch of road were taken over by hackers. The signs near the intersection of Lamar and Martin Luther King boulevards usually warn drivers about upcoming construction, but Monday morning they warned of  "zombies ahead."
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Not just any zombies... it said 'N.A.Z.I. Zombies'... for you Call of Duty fans.

(Okay... who added the N.A.Z.I. = friend translation??  that must be a Brad addition :) )
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:(Okay... who added the N.A.Z.I. = friend translation??  that must be a Brad addition :) )
I don't have that ability.  However, I was because MTO kept calling people that word.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

Im sure most people already saw this since it came out a couple days ago, but I just had to point it out

I-80 driver had it backward — for 40 miles

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10549874

Ok, I am not ageist, but there seriously has to be a point where people get too senile to drive.  SERIOUSLY, 40 miles with cops all over and all he did was wave?  Thats just ridiculous.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Amen, brother.  I thought the exact same thing.

Solve the alleged age-ism issue and make everyone actually take a real test every 4 years or so.
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Before you get so quick to judge, who among us hasn't been pursued by police going the wrong way down the interstate? Well at least going the right way.
DTO
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

I laughed pretty freaking hard through that entire article.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i'm sure he was looking for a country kitchen.
Go Cubs Go
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I think you mean a Golden Corral or Cracker Barrel. :)
skibum21
New to the Neighborhood

Post by skibum21 »

Big E wrote:Amen, brother.  I thought the exact same thing.

Solve the alleged age-ism issue and make everyone actually take a real test every 4 years or so.
I agree.   I once had an intern work for me and he went to school in Arizona.  When I was filling out his I-9 form, I noticed that his drivers license didn't expire until 2030 somethings.  At the very least, you appearance would change before then.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

People waited outside for a free Denny’s breakfast for two hours in -15 degree temps…  

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10554376

What the heck does a grand slam even cost???  $6.99???
JANE PALMER WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:If there's free food at the end, Omahans are willing to stand in line - even when the wind-chill factor makes it feel like 15 below zero.

About 100 people were waiting at 6 a.m. today at Denny's, 3509 S. 84th St., for a free Grand Slam breakfast: two eggs, two pancakes, two strips of bacon and two sausages.

The restaurant chain offered the free meals from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. It advertised the offer several times during Sunday's Super Bowl.

Chilled customers started lining up at 4:30 a.m. When doors opened, all the restaurant's seats were immediately filled. A crowd filled the entryway and vestibule and 20 to 40 customers lined up outside - many not dressed for the weather.

"Let's do the 'cattle': Put our (behinds) to the wind," 21-year-old Dustin Cary of Bellevue called to his three friends near the doorway. They huddled in a circle to keep warm.

The foursome had stayed up all night, playing Monopoly and the card game Uno. They were still wearing the lightweight jackets - no gloves and no hats - they'd worn Monday in mid-30s temperatures.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

My aunt was talking about going to this with my mom and grandma. I hope they didn't.

Denny's Free Breakfast: The Modern Day breadline.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

For those of you that can't/won't cook, you can make about 6 grand slam breakfasts at home for $7.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:
For those of you that can't/won't cook, you can make about 6 grand slam breakfasts at home for $7.

That's what I was thinking
Dozen Eggs $2.00
Pack of Bacon $3.00
Box of Pancake mix $2.00

One the other hand, here is the big numbers.

If you could buy a front page Ad on the OWH, what would that cost?  $10,000
What would a 2min spot cost during the 10pm 6am and noon news cost???

Basically they want to serve a 1000 people and IF and I mean IF a grand slam cost Denny's $3.00 each, they are making up all that in the free pub.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Brad wrote:People waited outside for a free Denny’s breakfast for two hours in -15 degree temps…
Man, just think if Wal Mart offered a free breakfast...... People would have been trampled to death!
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Can he say that? David Letterman just announced that Iceland has just elected a Lesbian Prime Minister
which would make her the only Foreign Dignitary that likes Bush.  :lol:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Can he say that? David Letterman just announced that Iceland has just elected a Lesbian Prime Minister
I was watching that... Hilarious.

Next he has the impeached Illinois Governor on.  He said "I have no idea why he is here".
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:Can he say that? David Letterman just announced that Iceland has just elected a Lesbian Prime Minister
I was watching that... Hilarious.

Next he has the impeached Illinois Governor on.  He said "I have no idea why he is here".
And he walked out to Paul Shaffer playing "My Way" by Sinatra...
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Pranks with electronic road signs stir worry
COLLINSVILLE, Illinois - Pranksters in at least three states are messing with electronic road signs meant to warn motorists of possible traffic problems by putting drivers on notice about friend zombies and raptors. And highway safety officials aren't amused.

The latest breach came Tuesday during the morning rush hour near Collinsville, Ill., where hackers changed a sign along southbound Interstate 255 to read, "DAILY LANE CLOSURES DUE TO ZOMBIES."

A day earlier in Indiana's Hamilton County, the electronic message on a board in Carmel's construction zone warned drivers of "RAPTORS AHEAD — CAUTION."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29017293/?GT1=43001
Go Cubs Go
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I wonder if this could happen in Omaha? Hmmmmm.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Coyote wrote:I wonder if this could happen in Omaha? Hmmmmm.
Well, after reading the How-To on this page...

http://jalopnik.com/5141430/how-to-hack ... -road-sign

...I would assume that it certainly "could" happen in Omaha. :yes:
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Fine I'll do it.
DTO
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10557290

Anyone following the evolving 'guy accidentally shoots wife in head with shot gun' story?

Once again, the white guy always gets the benefit of the doubt.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10557290

Anyone following the evolving 'guy accidentally shoots wife in head with shot gun' story?

Once again, the white guy always gets the benefit of the doubt.
I have family that knows them, all sounds accidental form what they say.  They were apparently the "Rare" perfect match.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I was reading about that story when it first happened in the Lincoln paper. Her parents were talking about how it was all a part of "God's mysterious plan for her life". :roll:
DTO
10thstgoober
Home Owners Association

Post by 10thstgoober »

She was shot in the shoulder, not the head...

My mother just reminded me who she was the other day.  She was a Barista at Starbucks, very giddy and chatty.  I remember being annoyed once until she spilled about getting married which explained it all.  

Who cares what her parents had to say about "god's mysterious ways?"  They're life just did a 180 on them.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

It's just such a heartless thing to say. They lost a daughter in a horrible accident and chalk it up to some divine plan. I don't understand that.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:It's just such a heartless thing to say. They lost a daughter in a horrible accident and chalk it up to some divine plan. I don't understand that.
Its not heartless... To people that believe.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Admirals Present "Don't Be Like Mike" Night

http://www.milwaukeeadmirals.com/home/n ... 52177B4352
Milwaukee, WI—Michael Phelps has done a lot of things in his life that he is proud of. Eight Olympic Gold Medals from last year’s summer games is just the start of a long list of accomplishments that anyone would want to emulate.

Unfortunately, the limelight that currently shines on him is not for any of his athletic achievements, but for an act that is a bit more dubious. Thus, the Milwaukee Admirals present “Don’t Be Like Mike” Night at their game on Thursday, February 19th at 7:00 pm versus the Rockford IceHogs.

All fans who are graduates of a DARE program (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) can get into the game for just $2 by bringing their DARE graduation certificate to the Admirals’ office or the Bradley Center box office. In addition, anyone with the name Michael, Phelps, Mary Jane, Cheech, Chong, Weed (Wied) or anyone who has won an Olympic Gold Medal can also get their ticket for only $2.

“I, along with Nancy Reagan, want to encourage people to not do drugs,” said Admirals President Jon Greenberg. “As an organization the Milwaukee Admirals don’t condone or encourage the use of illegal drugs, including, but not limited to marijuana, or anabolic steroids for that matter.”

The Ads will also be giving away a weed wacker, courtesy of National Ace Hardware, that will be signed by the team and if the Admirals score with 4:20 left on the clock in any period one lucky fan will win a season ticket for the 2009-10 season. The number 420 is often known as the police code for illegal drug use.

Plus, to ensure that no one ends up in the same predicament as Michael Phelps, the team will provide a document shredder at the DigiCopy Information Table outside section 225 so fans can bring any embarrassing or incriminating photos to be destroyed.

Fans can order tickets for the 19th, or any Admirals game, by calling Ticketmaster at (414) 276-4545 or online at http://www.ticketmaster.com. Groups of ten or more people receive a minimum of $2 off of each ticket. For more information or to order group tickets call the Admirals office at (414) 227-0550.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

:roll: Yes crucify your hero over nothing. If I was Michael Phelps I would have just held a press conference and wore all 8 of my gold medals and just pointed at them and said, "Lick deez medals! That aint the first time I've smoked. Didn't you see me on tv when I smoked every other mother |expletive| in the pool? Badow!"
DTO
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Not particularly strange... but it just seems like nothing but bad news comes out of Falls City, Nebraska... what is going on in this town??

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10563514
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

I haven't seen any news stories online yet, but a 70-some year old nun was driving east on Hickory across 72nd and hit a patch of wet cement in the middle northbound lane of 72nd. I stopped by around 6 on my way home from work. Witnesses said the patch of wet cement was not marked off and this happened around 430. I'm surprised it took an hour and half until they got the car out. Sorry not the best pics, only had my camera phone.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Sucks to be the City of Omaha on that one...
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I think I'd just forfeit before becoming part of history on this one... how much more humiliating can it be... full match video/photos on the WH website.  An undefeated wrestler from GI is up next tomorrow.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3 ... d=10569488

That said... I'll need to log off now, my wife has challenged me to a match.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

The World Herald is SO incompetent. Here's the caption they put under the pic.

Omaha North's Brittney Taylor celebrates his victory over Bellevue East's Spencer Hunt in the Class 103-pound semi-final match at the Qwest Center Omaha on Friday.

HIS?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

They probably lifted the caption off a KC Star story.   Oh, and I won my match.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

:lol: