M's Pub Explosion and Fire

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

choke
Human Relations

Re: M's Pub Explosion and Fire

Post by choke »

Coyote wrote:The Market House is beginning to renovate.
That's good news. I had heard he was originally going to take the spot in Dundee that J Coco took. It must have been too much to handle after the fire.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Walked by the M's Pub building tonight, and noticed that the exterior is close to 100% restored. There were even lights on in he building.

At long last, walking past these buildings is no longer making me sick to my stomach.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

nativeomahan wrote:Walked by the M's Pub building tonight, and noticed that the exterior is close to 100% restored. There were even lights on in he building.

At long last, walking past these buildings is no longer making me sick to my stomach.
Glad to hear they are making progress. I still miss getting to walk past it everyday when I worked downtown.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote:Walked by the M's Pub building tonight, and noticed that the exterior is close to 100% restored. There were even lights on in he building.

Its amazing that 11 months ago, the building was considered by most a total loss. Now its looking great and way further than I ever expected!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

M's Pub co-owner plans to re-create restaurant at same location, but name might change
A restaurant with the classic style and familiar menu of M’s Pub, the Old Market spot destroyed by a fire last January, will return to the same location, possibly as soon as June.

Nonetheless, Mellen said, she plans to re-create the space’s interior down to its green marble bar, mirrored walls and arched doorways.

Samuelson declined to comment Tuesday, but he acknowledged that the longtime partners have not yet settled on whether Mellen can use the iconic name.

Mellen said that as soon as the first-floor windows are installed, the fences will come down at 11th and Howard Streets and work can begin on the inside.

The main difference in the reconstructed space will be a one-story addition on the north side of the building that will allow the restrooms to be on the first floor instead of in the basement, a code requirement. That addition will also house an expansion for bakery and kitchen areas that used to be in the basement. Staff will enter the new space through an arched doorway on the north wall.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Not sure I how I feel about the "One story addition". Hope it looks better than what I have pictured in my mind. Too bad its not a 4 story addition to match what was there 80 years ago...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Awesome news! Can't wait for the barriers to be taken down and the Old Market gets back to Normal.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Brad wrote:Not sure I how I feel about the "One story addition". Hope it looks better than what I have pictured in my mind. Too bad its not a 4 story addition to match what was there 80 years ago...
It used to be 8?
NeonMartiniGlass
New to the Neighborhood

Post by NeonMartiniGlass »

Louie wrote:
Brad wrote:Not sure I how I feel about the "One story addition". Hope it looks better than what I have pictured in my mind. Too bad its not a 4 story addition to match what was there 80 years ago...
It used to be 8?
I think he meant a 4 story addition adjacent to the north. That's what used to be there.
Man Melts the Sands so He Can See the World Outside
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

NeonMartiniGlass wrote:
Louie wrote:
It used to be 8?
I think he meant a 4 story addition adjacent to the north. That's what used to be there.
Here's the picture as it used to be before the 1940's fire when they lost the north half...

I have to commend the architect/engineering/contractor team (BVH, WJE, TD2, Lund-Ross) that restored the building back to it's pre-recent fire form, and the Mercers for wanting it done right. They're doing a great job! Glad to hear that the restoration includes fire sprinklers and HC accessible restrooms too.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Permit just filed for a $2M renovation of the 420 Building and its 12 loft apartments.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MUD failed to properly mark pipeline in M's Pub blaze, State Fire Marshal says

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/mud-fai ... 7fd76.html
Russell Hubbard / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The Nebraska Fire Marshal's investigation into the M's Pub fire has concluded that the Metropolitan Utilities District failed to properly mark the pipeline that a contractor ruptured, leading to the Old Market conflagration.
Russell Hubbard / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The report also concluded that MUD's mapping system was inadequate and contributed to the utility's "inability to readily identify and promptly respond" to the fire.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Brad wrote:MUD failed to properly mark pipeline in M's Pub blaze, State Fire Marshal says

Russell Hubbard / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The Nebraska Fire Marshal's investigation into the M's Pub fire has concluded that the Metropolitan Utilities District failed to properly mark the pipeline that a contractor ruptured, leading to the Old Market conflagration.
Russell Hubbard / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The report also concluded that MUD's mapping system was inadequate and contributed to the utility's "inability to readily identify and promptly respond" to the fire.

Can't wait for another $40 fee on my bill to allow them to pay for "mapping project".
No posts exist for this topic
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Brad wrote:MUD failed to properly mark pipeline in M's Pub blaze, State Fire Marshal says

Can't wait for another $40 fee on my bill to allow them to pay for "mapping project".
It's something they should have been doing and charging you for all along as technology advances. Too bad it takes disasters like this to wake people up. We're very lucky more people haven't been killed as the result of a gas system that can't easily be documented and controlled quickly and safely.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

GetUrban wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

It's something they should have been doing and charging you for all along as technology advances. Too bad it takes disasters like this to wake people up. We're very lucky more people haven't been killed as the result of a gas system that can't easily be documented and controlled quickly and safely.
Yep, it would have been less expensive in the long run. Not only will it cost us to redo MUD's mapping, the numerous lawsuits to come for MUD is going to cost us also.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ann Mellen just said she hopes that M's Pub will be open by June.
Market House is having problems with asbestos and mold.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

I hope the whole Old Market gets together and does some sort of grand re-opening. I hear that traffic has been way down. Hire a band. Have a parade. Block off the streets and have a festival. Just do something to attract attention.
NeGoofyfoot
New to the Neighborhood

Post by NeGoofyfoot »

swgiust wrote:I hope the whole Old Market gets together and does some sort of grand re-opening. I hear that traffic has been way down. Hire a band. Have a parade. Block off the streets and have a festival. Just do something to attract attention.
I love this Idea! I've always thought the OM should be more of a pedestrian district, like Pearl Street in Boulder but we all know how everyone has to park within 5 feet of the door here in Omaha ...so that would never work!! :roll:
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

If they're not going to do anything with this chell then get that damn barrier out of the way. It's very uninviting and foreboding I can see why people are not touring the area. Unless there are holes in the sidewalk push that billboard wall against the building.
15-17, 26, 32
tpaine
New to the Neighborhood

Post by tpaine »

I wish they would build a rooftop bar/restaurant on the top of the M's Pub building. That would be a perfect corner location right in the heart of the Old Market. Think of the views!! :idea:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

tpaine wrote:I wish they would build a rooftop bar/restaurant on the top of the M's Pub building. That would be a perfect corner location right in the heart of the Old Market. Think of the views!! :idea:
I doubt the Mercers who live on the top floor think that that would be a good idea.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Coyote wrote:
tpaine wrote:I wish they would build a rooftop bar/restaurant on the top of the M's Pub building. That would be a perfect corner location right in the heart of the Old Market. Think of the views!! :idea:
I doubt the Mercers who live on the top floor think that that would be a good idea.
That would be a better thing to do on a new 4-6 story infill building at the northeast corner of 11th and Harney, to replace that surface parking lot. Then you could provide an elevator and proper exiting, etc. The Mercers deserve their old place back, after all they've done for the Old Market.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

M’s Pub will reopen by the end of August
M's Pub will be open for business under its original name by the end of August.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Its about time...I understand all the litigation that held this up, but it is crazy that it took almost 18 months to rebuild.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

skinzfan23 wrote:Its about time...I understand all the litigation that held this up, but it is crazy that it took almost 18 months to rebuild.
I usually agree with you on most things, but in this case I don't think it was an unreasonable amount of time do get it done right. They had to wait for it to thaw-out, assess the damage, very carefully remove debris, salvage what they could, re-assess and engineer the repairs, produce bid documents, get city permit approval, bid the work, and give the contractors time to do their work, all while making it look like nothing ever happened. ...plus litigation delays, whatever they were.

Over the life span of a historic building, 18 months is not too long to wait for an excellent restoration.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

GetUrban wrote:
Over the life span of a historic building, 18 months is not too long to wait for an excellent restoration.
I agree with that!
OmahaFan
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaFan »

Amazing work with matching the surrounding building's and make it look like it was before the fire. It's a Updated 2017 building with the exterior of the building built in the early 1900's! I bet they added more space to it as well! Looks amazing!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Opening date now set near the beginning of October.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

I wonder if the pipe is in a bad location for them to do it twice.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

EXCLUSIVE: M's Pub owner promises October return
Josh Spreiter | WOWT wrote: After a devastating fire almost two years ago, a famous restaurant is making its return very soon. The owner of M’s Pub tells 6 News she met with her contractor, and she's certain the restaurant will be open by the end of this month.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I believe the latest on M's is that it would re-open about November 1.
The corner is slowly returning to its old glory. Today I saw a vagrant sleeping just west of the intersection, under the large awning by Nouvelle Eve.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Soft opening yesterday and today.
Official opening on Wednesday.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Went to M's last night and the place was packed. Looked almost exactly the same. The stairs on the south side of the bar are gone, but the left the mirrors on the wall that matched where the stairs were. Without the stairs there are 3 additional tables, one tall bar table and 2 shorter tables. The new restrooms are nice on the main level too. Place looked old, but had that new car (or building) smell to it. Only other changed I noticed right away, they went from 2 beer taps to 8 beer taps. Had 4 Omaha, plus a Lincoln and an Iowa beer.

Glad to have them back!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Glad this place is back too. I've always found this a good place for a first date.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Nouvelle Eve is re-opening tonight.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

HR Paperstacks wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:08 pm Glad this place is back too. I've always found this a good place for a first date.

So....... How many times have you been there......
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

TIF to reconstruct the 12 condos in the building next to M's

https://planning.cityofomaha.org/images ... uly/14.pdf
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

nebugeater wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:02 am
HR Paperstacks wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:08 pm Glad this place is back too. I've always found this a good place for a first date.

So....... How many times have you been there......
At least a few times. I haven't really kept track.