2018 Nebraska Elections

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Garrett
Planning Board

2018 Nebraska Elections

Post by Garrett »

Looks like Bob Krist, the Republican-turned-independent state senator, has now turned his registration to Democratic. Should be interesting to see if he has a chance as a centrist against Ricketts.

http://www.omaha.com/news/politics/gube ... 46f91.html
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Re: 2018 Nebraska Elections

Post by bigredmed1 »

If he truly pro-life, then the democrats will drop a big stink bomb on him and he will get no national support from Emily's List and other democrat activist groups.

Not sure that Ricketts will have much to fight against. I can not say that I am fond of him, but given the track record of the dem governors we have had, I can't say that I am breathlessly awaiting the return of the Governor's Policy Cabinet that can't tell the difference between a fee for service and a tax and therefore would not allow us to even mention a fee structure for the newborn screening program to the legislature.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Whatever happens this year, somebody has to get the hard boiled egg with teeth out of the governors seat.
Jim Flowers rules!
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Silverspoon wrote:Whatever happens this year, somebody has to get the hard boiled egg with teeth out of the governors seat.
Agreed.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Silverspoon wrote:Whatever happens this year, somebody has to get the hard boiled egg with teeth out of the governors seat.
He has not been a credit to the GOP, but he was better than some of the dems who have oozed their way onto the ballot. Hopefully, the GOP will either replace him or at least get someone in the Lt Gov slot that will be able to move up and run in 4 years.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

bigredmed1 wrote:
He has not been a credit to the GOP, but he was better than some of the dems who have oozed their way onto the ballot. Hopefully, the GOP will either replace him or at least get someone in the Lt Gov slot that will be able to move up and run in 4 years.
The only reason Ricketts is Governor is because his daddy paid for it. You want the Cubs? Here ya go... Daddy, I wanna be Governor! Here ya go...
Jim Flowers rules!
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

I wil definitely vote against Ricketts, though he has been kind of good helping push through asset forfeiture reform and pushing for more law enforcement accountability. Ultimately his role in helping to bring back the death penalty makes me unwilling to vote for him.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Professor Woland wrote:I wil definitely vote against Ricketts, though he has been kind of good helping push through asset forfeiture reform and pushing for more law enforcement accountability. Ultimately his role in helping to bring back the death penalty makes me unwilling to vote for him.
Him getting busted trying to import illegal drugs to put prisoners to death was pretty funny. Hes a moron!

I sadly agree with needing the push for law enforcement accountability tho. We will just see what comes of it.
Jim Flowers rules!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Pete Ricketts is going to win easily. Hes on "Team Republican" and hes got millions. He can't be beat. There is not even a sliver of a chance that Ricketts would not get re-elected.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Professor Woland wrote:I wil definitely vote against Ricketts, though he has been kind of good helping push through asset forfeiture reform and pushing for more law enforcement accountability. Ultimately his role in helping to bring back the death penalty makes me unwilling to vote for him.
The death penalty was overturned by the vote of the people. Trying to overturn it was a dumb move regardless of how you see the penalty. Frankly you can't be a pediatrician and see the things I had to and not rationalize execution. There are humanoid life forms that simply turn in their people cards when they beat a baby with a ball peen hammer or get high on meth and hang their daughter. Life in prison in protective custody isn't justice.
Professor Woland
Library Board

I understand that some people deserve to die, and, if someone ever did something like that to someone I love, I would want to slowly torture them to death over the course of several years. That said, the understandable rage and anguish of people affected by atrocities should not be the basis of law and policy. You are of course correct that the voters brought back barbarism, and this reflected a flaw in the plans of representatives who voted to eliminate it. They should have worked to change public opinion while putting up enough roadblocks to executions that none would be carried out before the public saw the light and voted not to be complicit in state sanctioned murder. Ricketts is responsible for pushing candidates to unseat those brave enough to stand for Western values and the Enlightnment ideas, helping facilitate this abomination, and illegally securing the drugs necessary to achieve his diabolical ends. I could probably use less loaded language, but I'm not trying to win converts here, I'm just telling it as I see it. Arguing on the internet is like participating in a cockroach eating contest, even if you "win" your dignity is diminished for having been involved.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote:Pete Ricketts is going to win easily. Hes on "Team Republican" and hes got millions. He can't be beat. There is not even a sliver of a chance that Ricketts would not get re-elected.
You're right. Ricketts is going to keep making budget cuts to our beloved university system to where everyone living in Nebraska becomes so dumb, no one will have the intelligence to run against him.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Professor Woland wrote: Ricketts is responsible for pushing candidates to unseat those brave enough to stand for Western values and the Enlightnment ideas, helping facilitate this abomination, and illegally securing the drugs necessary to achieve his diabolical ends. I could probably use less loaded language, but I'm not trying to win converts here, I'm just telling it as I see it. Arguing on the internet is like participating in a cockroach eating contest, even if you "win" your dignity is diminished for having been involved.
Ricketts don't give a damn about being Governor again or the Death Penalty. Ricketts wants to be president someday and what better way to play up to the hard core Repubs then running commercials showing how he fought tooth and nail and liberals as Governor of Nebraska to see that the death penalty was enforced.

A "cockroach eating contest".........come on man! :roll:
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

choke wrote:
GrandpaaSmucker wrote:Pete Ricketts is going to win easily. Hes on "Team Republican" and hes got millions. He can't be beat. There is not even a sliver of a chance that Ricketts would not get re-elected.
You're right. Ricketts is going to keep making budget cuts to our beloved university system to where everyone living in Nebraska becomes so dumb, no one will have the intelligence to run against him.
Yes, this is infuriating.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Remember folks, this isnt the presidential election. For the local stuff, YOUR VOTE COUNTS.

Get out there and try to make a difference!
Jim Flowers rules!
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Louie wrote:
choke wrote:
It is infuriating, but the university is the biggest cut-able chunk of the state budget. Prisons are not cut-able. Schools are not getting any less. Roads have already been cut. The budget is taking a hit from economic forces that are beyond the control of the state. University of Nebraska has never been creative with its structure or methods of education. It could easily close some of the graduate programs and condense business and education into one school with three campii thus eliminating 2 deans and most of their staff. This would cut millions from their budget without really affecting students that much (after all, we can train nurses all over the state from one college, but not accountants?)
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Professor Woland wrote:I understand that some people deserve to die, and, if someone ever did something like that to someone I love, I would want to slowly torture them to death over the course of several years. That said, the understandable rage and anguish of people affected by atrocities should not be the basis of law and policy. You are of course correct that the voters brought back barbarism, and this reflected a flaw in the plans of representatives who voted to eliminate it. They should have worked to change public opinion while putting up enough roadblocks to executions that none would be carried out before the public saw the light and voted not to be complicit in state sanctioned murder. Ricketts is responsible for pushing candidates to unseat those brave enough to stand for Western values and the Enlightnment ideas, helping facilitate this abomination, and illegally securing the drugs necessary to achieve his diabolical ends. I could probably use less loaded language, but I'm not trying to win converts here, I'm just telling it as I see it. Arguing on the internet is like participating in a cockroach eating contest, even if you "win" your dignity is diminished for having been involved.
Professor, I don't know that the governor really had that much influence in this issue. There are just a lot more of us out here who believe in the important of what I will call "law and order" than is perhaps understood. And we've felt this way for a long time before this current governor came into office. Plus, a lot of us did not appreciate the legislature going against our clearly stated will. So the voters brought back the death penalty also to remind the representatives they represent us. I get and appreciate you're of a different opinion. But I and at least a few other folks out here have one too! Just wanting to balance out the space given to the arguments. Every once in awhile I can't remain in the shadows of the lurk mode.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Professor Woland wrote:I understand that some people deserve to die, and, if someone ever did something like that to someone I love, I would want to slowly torture them to death over the course of several years. That said, the understandable rage and anguish of people affected by atrocities should not be the basis of law and policy. You are of course correct that the voters brought back barbarism, and this reflected a flaw in the plans of representatives who voted to eliminate it. They should have worked to change public opinion while putting up enough roadblocks to executions that none would be carried out before the public saw the light and voted not to be complicit in state sanctioned murder. Ricketts is responsible for pushing candidates to unseat those brave enough to stand for Western values and the Enlightnment ideas, helping facilitate this abomination, and illegally securing the drugs necessary to achieve his diabolical ends. I could probably use less loaded language, but I'm not trying to win converts here, I'm just telling it as I see it. Arguing on the internet is like participating in a cockroach eating contest, even if you "win" your dignity is diminished for having been involved.
I am not posting this to take a stand on one side or the other. The issue I have is that the representatives should do exactly the opposite of what you suggest. They are elected to REPRESENT the public opinion of those they represent, not change it.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Professor Woland
Library Board

nebugeater wrote:
I am not posting this to take a stand on one side or the other. The issue I have is that the representatives should do exactly the opposite of what you suggest. They are elected to REPRESENT the public opinion of those they represent, not change it.
I don't think this is exactly the case. In a republic voters are supposed to elect representatives based on a number of factors including their ability to exercise judgment. This is one of the many safeguards against mob rule that make the American system work less badly than most other systems. Granted, if the public is passionate in its support of the wrong side, representatives will be voted out for doing the right thing. For instance, a mid nineteenth century Representative from Alabama would do the right thing to have a change of heart and become an abolitionist, but it would certainly cost him his seat.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

bigredmed1 wrote:
Louie wrote:
choke wrote:
It is infuriating, but the university is the biggest cut-able chunk of the state budget. Prisons are not cut-able. Schools are not getting any less. Roads have already been cut. The budget is taking a hit from economic forces that are beyond the control of the state. University of Nebraska has never been creative with its structure or methods of education. It could easily close some of the graduate programs and condense business and education into one school with three campii thus eliminating 2 deans and most of their staff. This would cut millions from their budget without really affecting students that much (after all, we can train nurses all over the state from one college, but not accountants?)
While we're at it, Nebraska could merge some of their county governments. How many counties does our state have? 93? Sarpy and Douglas should merge, IMO. How big is L.A. County in California?
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

choke wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:
Louie wrote:
choke wrote:
While we're at it, Nebraska could merge some of their county governments. How many counties does our state have? 93? Sarpy and Douglas should merge, IMO. How big is L.A. County in California?
Woof. Good luck with that, as much as I agree. People would hate giving up their county identities. Nebraska was one of the last states to have smaller counties, which is apparent as the further you go West in the state the larger they get.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

choke wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:
Louie wrote:
choke wrote:
Completely agree. Sarpy exists solely to prevent Omaha from annexing Bellevue. The counties along the Republican river and along the CO border are "Congressional Counties" that were required by Congress as a condition of statehood and from the moment of creation were to small to maintain.

We could easily condense Douglas,Sarpy, and Dodge. And go around the state doing the same. That would drop us to 35 counties.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bigredmed1 wrote:
choke wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:
Louie wrote:
choke wrote:
Completely agree. Sarpy exists solely to prevent Omaha from annexing Bellevue. The counties along the Republican river and along the CO border are "Congressional Counties" that were required by Congress as a condition of statehood and from the moment of creation were to small to maintain.

We could easily condense Douglas,Sarpy, and Dodge. And go around the state doing the same. That would drop us to 35 counties.
Yep, you nailed it. That is the whole reason that Sarpy county exists. The state founders really were planning ahead. :roll:
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

nebugeater wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:
choke wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:
Louie wrote:
choke wrote:

Yep, you nailed it. That is the whole reason that Sarpy county exists. The state founders really were planning ahead. :roll:
Omaha was north Nebraska. Bellevue was south Nebraska. Bellevue felt that as it was older, it should get to be the big dog. The Southerners couldn't affect Omaha's better location on the river or the fact that the UP couldn't bridge the Missouri from CB to Bellevue.
Omaha grew. It freaked out the rest of the state when Omaha got big enough to annex South Omaha and now abut Bellevue. Sarpy Co was cut out of what was one county all to keep evil Omaha from defiling Bellevue.
Professor Woland
Library Board

It would probably make more sense to merge Douglas and Washington Counties. It would give Omaha proper plenty of room to grow, and I don't think any of the cities in Washington County are big enough to avoid annexation, but I'm too lazy to look it up.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

The separation of Douglas and Sarpy counties is asinine, but lets look at this as a pro for the city. The perceived lack of space created by Omaha being bound on the North and South can help encourage density increase WHICH in turn lowers cost of living and the many other benefits of more urban living. Other than that: HUGE waste of resources.
#gohawks
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

buildomaha wrote:The separation of Douglas and Sarpy counties is asinine, but lets look at this as a pro for the city. The perceived lack of space created by Omaha being bound on the North and South can help encourage density increase WHICH in turn lowers cost of living and the many other benefits of more urban living. Other than that: HUGE waste of resources.
We're also bound on the east...
Jim Flowers rules!
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

bigredmed1 wrote: Omaha was north Nebraska. Bellevue was south Nebraska. Bellevue felt that as it was older, it should get to be the big dog. The Southerners couldn't affect Omaha's better location on the river or the fact that the UP couldn't bridge the Missouri from CB to Bellevue.
Omaha grew. It freaked out the rest of the state when Omaha got big enough to annex South Omaha and now abut Bellevue. Sarpy Co was cut out of what was one county all to keep evil Omaha from defiling Bellevue.
How many times are you going to repeat this old wives tale on here?

1. Sarpy County was split off from Douglas County in 1857.
2. South Omaha did not exist yet, let alone get annexed (1915)
3. When Sarpy was created Omaha had less than 2,000 people.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

bigredmed1 wrote:
The death penalty was overturned by the vote of the people. Trying to overturn it was a dumb move regardless of how you see the penalty. Frankly you can't be a pediatrician and see the things I had to and not rationalize execution. There are humanoid life forms that simply turn in their people cards when they beat a baby with a ball peen hammer or get high on meth and hang their daughter. Life in prison in protective custody isn't justice.
I understand it's difficult to put your feelings aside, but as a practicioner, do you see any benefit in keeping the people alive so they can be studied? The goal would be to use scientific study to better identify those with certain mental illnesses and treat then before they engaged in destructive behaviors. It's my understanding that mental illness treatment is more cost effective than legal costs associated with capital punishment.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

daveoma wrote:
bigredmed1 wrote:
I understand it's difficult to put your feelings aside, but as a practicioner, do you see any benefit in keeping the people alive so they can be studied? The goal would be to use scientific study to better identify those with certain mental illnesses and treat then before they engaged in destructive behaviors. It's my understanding that mental illness treatment is more cost effective than legal costs associated with capital punishment.
From a practical perspective life is cheaper. You won't get studies as the IRB rules for these inmates are very strict.

I oppose the death penalty, but it's not hard to understand why people support it. And for some offenders, it's probably the best way to be rid of them.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

If there is a decent alternative to Ricketts, bring it on. Flip Flop Krist is not that alternative.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Ricketts gets dumber every day! Lets praise the NRA and invite them into our homes at a time like this! :clap:
Jim Flowers rules!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Silverspoon wrote:Ricketts gets dumber every day! Lets praise the NRA and invite them into our homes at a time like this! :clap:
Typical rhetoric during election years.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

Silverspoon wrote:Ricketts gets dumber every day! Lets praise the NRA and invite them into our homes at a time like this! :clap:
He’s really trying to make a fool of our state isn’t he?
#gohawks
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

buildomaha wrote:
He’s really trying to make a fool of our state isn’t he?
He makes us look like a bunch of illiterate hillbillies.
Jim Flowers rules!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I have some sad news. Mort Sullivan has been disqualified to run in the primary for an OPPD board seat. He failed to file a financial disclosure form by the deadline.

http://www.omaha.com/news/politics/cand ... f9797.html
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum