Millard South band wins Alamo Bowl competition

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

Millard South band wins Alamo Bowl competition

Post by eomaha »

Of course I'm partial to my own son's Millard North High band (the one blowing the horn in the middle :P ) ... but congratulations to the Patriots. :)
Omaha World Herald wrote: Millard South band is bowl winner

Millard South celebrated its own victory at Wednesday night's Alamo Bowl. But these players wore band uniforms, not football jerseys.

The band won a competition against 12 other high school marching bands from around the country Tuesday in San Antonio.

The band's reward was the chance to perform a six-minute portion of its field show as the Alamo Bowl's pre-game entertainment.

"It was amazing," said Amber Odom, a Millard South drum major. "It was probably the best time we've ever done it."

The 170 Omahans were on the field again at halftime, marching with the other invited bands before a crowd of more than 65,000 people in the Alamodome.

"The crowd was a big mass of orange and a big mass of red," Odom said.

In between the performances, South band members, staff and parents watched Ohio State defeat Oklahoma State 33-7.

"It was exciting to play in front of that many people, and the kids had a great performance," said band director Rex Barker by phone from Oklahoma City.
SychoBC
Home Owners Association

Post by SychoBC »

As Half Indian/Half Patriot myself, Go Millard South!
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

Too bad they didn't get any air time. My daughter will be playing with the Millard South band next year. I was an Indian back in the "good old days" 8)
Coyote
City Council

Re: Millard South band wins Alamo Bowl competition

Post by Coyote »

Millard West marching band claims first-place trophy at Holiday Bowl competition
Joe Dejka - World-Herald staff writer wrote:The band took first place in its class and swept all the caption awards: best music, best marching, best percussion, best color guard, best drum major and best general effect.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Coyote wrote:Millard West marching band claims first-place trophy at Holiday Bowl competition
Joe Dejka - World-Herald staff writer wrote:The band took first place in its class and swept all the caption awards: best music, best marching, best percussion, best color guard, best drum major and best general effect.
Wish I had that opportunity to compete. I played in the Alamo bowl in 2007. Unfortunately they didn't hold a competition and just invited enough schools to fill the field. Didn't march once and I imagine it was a poor show since we only practiced twice and I'm pretty sure half of the kids were faking.

Good on them for competing and winning.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I went to the Orange Bowl in 2009 with Millard South. We had a competition with a high school in West Virginia to see who would do the pregame performance and we won. It was kind of a hollow victory; they chose us because we were bigger, had brighter uniform colors, and their show was an Egypt show which is really overdone in the marching band world. Honestly they performed better than we did. The crowd otherwise didn't really pay attention to us during pregame, and the halftime show was weird because everyone played along with a recording.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Coyote wrote:Millard West marching band claims first-place trophy at Holiday Bowl competition
I bet they'll always remember that win.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MTO wrote:I bet they'll always remember that win.
|expletive| yes. I was on my HS and College Marching Bands and (yes I'm old MTO) I still remember every trip we made.
I'm a member of UNO's Band Alumni Facebook page and we still talk about |expletive| from the 70's.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Coyote wrote:
MTO wrote:I bet they'll always remember that win.
|expletive| yes. I was on my HS and College Marching Bands and (yes I'm old MTO) I still remember every trip we made.
I'm a member of UNO's Band Alumni Facebook page and we still talk about |expletive| from the 70's.
I was just trying to make a remember the Alamo joke, I'm a little baked tonight sorry. And you just outed yourself as a band nerd and 70S child, lol no for real that's cred right there.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MTO wrote:I was just trying to make a remember the Alamo joke, I'm a little baked tonight sorry. And you just outed yourself as a band nerd and 70S child, lol no for real that's cred right there.
Yeah, band nerd. I played trumpet in a 70's Chicago tribute band, played jazz guitar, and piano in a few others, heck, played piano before Hugh Downs and bass guitar in a band before 8,000 in Albuquerque. Band nerd...
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Coyote wrote:
MTO wrote:I was just trying to make a remember the Alamo joke, I'm a little baked tonight sorry. And you just outed yourself as a band nerd and 70S child, lol no for real that's cred right there.
Yeah, band nerd. I played trumpet in a 70's Chicago tribute band, played jazz guitar, and piano in a few others, heck, played piano before Hugh Downs and bass guitar in a band before 8,000 in Albuquerque. Band nerd...
Respect, ok ok I said you have cred and I was serious it's s good thing to be a nerd these days. No but for real that's pretty awesome your music history. Chicago is one of my favorites whenever I crank 25 or 6 to 4 my hanging out my friends roll their eyes. And the 70s and Hugh Downs I think you may be hipper than me.
15-17, 26, 32