Schlegel to step down at Creighton

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Schlegel to step down at Creighton

Post by Coyote »

Schlegel leaves a lasting mark
Matthew Hansen WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Schlegel, 66, announced his planned retirement in e-mails to faculty and staff Wednesday morning. He will step down as president in July 2011, in order to give the college's board of directors time to search for a suitable Jesuit to replace him.

Creighton has grown by 40 acres during his presidency, building a giant student center, a state-of-the-art soccer stadium, apartment-style student housing and a basketball arena that all sit on the new eastern edge of the campus.

U.S. News and World Report has ranked CU the top Midwestern university of its kind for seven straight years. And more than half of last year's incoming freshmen scored a 27 or higher on the ACT, brainpower that assures Schlegel the college won't slip any time soon.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Best of Luck to Fr. Schlegel.  "He really did a lot for the School, the Campus, North Downtown, and Omaha!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Lannon: CU changed my life
Rick Ruggles WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The Rev. Timothy Lannon will return to Creighton University to lead the campus that he says had a profound influence on him and his father. Lannon, who will become Creighton's 24th president next summer, was introduced Friday to the university at the Ryan Center.

Lannon has served as president of St. Joseph's University in Philadelphia since 2003. At Creighton, he will serve as a president for the second time. The first was in the early 1970s, when he was elected student body president.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Huge hire for CU.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:Huge hire for CU.
I would call that an understatement.
Brad
City Council

Re: Schlegel to step down at Creighton

Post by Brad »

Per Twitter, Timothy Lannon is retiring in June 2015
Timothy Lannon SJ ‏@tlannonsj 54m

Creighton's momentum continues as I pass the torch on to my successor in summer 2015. Let's make this year one to remember! #Creighton
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just received this e-mail:
Dear Creighton Alumni,

What I am about to share with you is difficult and very sad for me. Following my health issue in November and after much prayer, reflection and conversations with religious superiors and our Board of Trustees’ leadership, I have reached an important personal decision, but one that certainly affects our University community. Accordingly, I have informed the Board of Trustees’ chair, Bruce Rohde that I will retire at the end of the 2014-2015 academic year (June 2015). I am giving this advanced notice in order for the University to facilitate the best presidential search process. However, during these next 15 months, I am committed to leading our University to the fullest of my abilities. What might I do, after I leave Creighton? That is a conversation for a later time with Father Tom Lawler, provincial of the Wisconsin Province of the Society of Jesus. My desire for future ministry is to be able to be more engaged in pastoral work.

I am grateful to the Creighton Board of Trustees for entrusting the leadership of this great University to me. The past three years, as president have been such a rewarding, fulfilling, energizing and challenging experience. The privilege of leading this institution forward with you has been an honor that I will always cherish.

The timing is important - because the momentum that Creighton is experiencing is transformational. I am immensely proud of what the University has achieved in the past couple of years, and very grateful that I have been able to participate in the successes. There is no place like Creighton University. It was home to me when I was a student and it is home to me today.

As Creighton alumni, I know you have the same feelings of pride concerning our alma mater as I do. It has and continues to be a privilege to collaborate with you in providing a wonderful Catholic and Jesuit education for our students. Your support has been a blessing beyond measure.

God’s blessings,

Timothy R. Lannon, S.J.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Moving up his retirement.

Creighton University President Timothy Lannon to resign in January

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/creight ... f9395.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kate Howard / World-Herald staff writer wrote:He intended to finish the academic year in June, when Creighton trustees hoped to have a new president in place. But Lannon said in an email to Creighton faculty and students Tuesday that he could no longer balance his health with his responsibilities.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

OWH wrote:The board of trustees on Sunday named the Rev. Daniel S. Hendrickson, associate provost of academic initiatives at Marquette University, to be Creighton's 25th president. He will begin at Creighton on July 1.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Creighton icon John Schlegel says in letter that his cancer is inoperable

http://www.livewellnebraska.com/health/ ... 72b11.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kate Howard / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Former Creighton University President John Schlegel has inoperable pancreatic cancer, he said in a letter to friends and family this week.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Whoa, I saw that he had cancer, but I didn't see it was pancreatic...
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Very sad for him and his family. He was a good leader for CU and was a positive influence on the city while here.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Former Creighton President John Schlegel — 'an extremely upbeat, visionary leader' — dies at 72

http://www.omaha.com/news/education/for ... ae051.html
Michael O’Connor / World-Herald staff writer wrote:“Father Schlegel was a passionate supporter of Catholic and Jesuit education, and friend to Creighton students, faculty, staff, alumni and supporters,” the Rev. Daniel Hendrickson, Creighton president, said in a statement. “He loved Creighton and the Omaha community. He will be missed by many.”