Qwest Center to change to Century Link

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Qwest Center to change to Century Link

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

It will always be the Qwest Center to me.  I like the blue accent lighting at the Qwest, not sure I'm going to like it being changed to Green.
Maybe it will look ok with the Green accent lighting for the Ball Park

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110324/N ... est-center
Omababe
Planning Board

Re: Qwest Center to change to Century Link

Post by Omababe »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:not sure I'm going to like it being changed to Green.
So, uh, exactly who pays for the change of signage and such? Not just the neon on the Soon-To-Be-Century-Link-Center, but street signs, expressway signs, COC and OCVB literature, etc?
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Qwest Center to change to Century Link

Post by nebugeater »

Omababe wrote:
ItsAllAboutMe wrote:not sure I'm going to like it being changed to Green.
So, uh, exactly who pays for the change of signage and such? Not just the neon on the Soon-To-Be-Century-Link-Center, but street signs, expressway signs, COC and OCVB literature, etc?

Reading the story it says that Century will cover all the costs.  Not just the signage outside but everything that is logo'd inside as well.  AS for the street signs, that was not stated in the story I read in the paper this AM
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Just the look of the Qwest Center screams blue lighting. Green will just look weird, and its hard to picture it without the signature Q.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I knew this was coming, but I am very sorry to see the change.  I love the current signage.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

In listening to the local news last night, I got the impression that the renaming of the QWest Center will probably happen but is not a done deal. They said something along the line that each sponsored venue would be examined on a case by case basis to see if it would be renamed.

How much longer does QWest/Century have on their naming rights contract?

Hmmm ... I wonder if Cox will change their billboard to "Leaving Century?" :)  LOL, will Century have to pay for that change? :) :) :) :)
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omababe wrote:In listening to the local news last night, I got the impression that the renaming of the QWest Center will probably happen but is not a done deal. They said something along the line that each sponsored venue would be examined on a case by case basis to see if it would be renamed.

How much longer does QWest/Century have on their naming rights contract?

Hmmm ... I wonder if Cox will change their billboard to "Leaving Century?" :)  LOL, will Century have to pay for that change? :) :) :) :)

One of the stories I read on this said the original agreement was for 15 years so I am guessing the balance of that is where we are at.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

As for the name change, I think it's great. It will give the facility a new "face". I wonder if they will also replace all the blue lights around the roof with green ones...
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

It is still the "Omaha Convention Center and Arena."
joleo
Home Owners Association

Post by joleo »

I sure hope it ends up the Century Center and not CenturyLink Center.  That sounds awful!  This is no different thinking than the Qwest Center could have been the Qwest Communications Center, which also would have been awful!  I REALLY hope MECA gets this one right!!!
Fromaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Fromaha »

How about just "The CLC."
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

joleo wrote:I sure hope it ends up the Century Center and not CenturyLink Center.  That sounds awful!  This is no different thinking than the Qwest Center could have been the Qwest Communications Center, which also would have been awful!  I REALLY hope MECA gets this one right!!!

Yeah, I don't see that happening and MECA will have NO say in this.  A company spends MILLIONS of dollars to put their name on a building to help fund it and you want them to put a non-descript name on it.  You do realize the point is to get advertising out of the deal, right?  Imagine you are in Florida watching the NCAA regionals and you see the name "Century Center."  Most likely, you will hear it and forget it, but if you care, you will inevitably be asking yourself, who is THAT (Century 21?  The Century Company?, etc.).  There is NO comparison with your example, as Qwest is a recognizable brand that people know without the "Communications" on it.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I don't see how CenturyLink Center sounds that bad.  Plus it isn't like we will be the only city to deal with it and NFL stadium will share the same company name.  I am just going to be like a Philadelphia fan and call it The Link.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

Although I'm going to miss the Qwest name and colors, I have to admit I actually kind of like the Centurylink name.  It could be much worse.  It will be interesting to see what become of the signage and lighting down there.  The silver building looks like it was almost made for the Qwest accents.  However, it would probably be OK with some green on it.  I just hope they do it with some style because it would be real easy with their sunflower looking logo to make it look like the world's largest BP station or Holiday Inn.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Trenton called it the "Clink" on Grow Omaha this morning.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Brad wrote:Trenton called it the "Clink" on Grow Omaha this morning.
I saw people calling it that on Creighton's forum. To me, "clink" brings a lot of negative connotations to mind.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

ShawJ wrote:
Brad wrote:Trenton called it the "Clink" on Grow Omaha this morning.
I saw people calling it that on Creighton's forum. To me, "clink" brings a lot of negative connotations to mind.
Depends on how you look at it.  It's hard keep a straight face in promoting a UNO/North Dakota hockey showdown as a "fight to the busy signal, down at the CenturyLink Telecommunications Center".

...After all, UNO did just unveil their new, scarier bull.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Call it Colonel Clink.  Nothing funnier than a Notzi® POW camp commandant.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

From the OWH Facebook Page, cant tell if its real or a rendering?  I am leaning towards rendering...
OWH FACEBOOK PAGE wrote:Image
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I don't think it will look bad, but the Qwest was about as perfect a design and name for that building as you can get.

I am sure it will grow on me.  The thing that I am really curious to see what the building looks like lit up with green lights.  I also wonder what the new symbol for the arena will be.

Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Hmmmm ... The Clink and McStadium.

The two Crown Jewels of N-O-D-O!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Omababe wrote:Hmmmm ... The Clink and McStadium.

:boom:
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

The signage on the south side overlooking 480 is large, as expected. Though, I liked the understated signage that is at the intersection of 10th & Cass at the main convention center entrance and not necessarily slapping Clink green all over the place.  I wonder if they're going to change the color of the clock lighting in the sculptures out front...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

No, its the Clink and the Trade.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

I really don't like how it doesn't have a signature look to it like Qwest does with the Q.

Oh and for a night photo

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110715/N ... s-new-name
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Axel wrote:I really don't like how it doesn't have a signature look to it like Qwest does with the Q.

Oh and for a night photo

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110715/N ... s-new-name
Isn't that what the BP-looking logo does?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I hope that all the lights under the main sign will have a green shade to them, like how the current ones mirror the blue image from Qwest's logo.  
It looks weird with just plain white lights.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Looks like a huge BP gas station.
skywalker23
New to the Neighborhood

Post by skywalker23 »

Linkin5 wrote:Looks like a huge BP gas station.
i'm not sure if i'll be able to get that thought out of my head now.

also, i thought the blue lighting stood out more, although i haven't seen the green in person yet...it just doesn't seem as vibrant
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Major Fail.  Their TV ads make me think they just sell Slinkys.  Looks like one of those SNL parody ads.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I hate frivolous nicknames. How about we just call them by their actual names?

:grr:
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

http://www.king5.com/sports/seahawks/Ne ... 32689.html

SEATTLE -  The new logo for the Seahawks stadium in Seattle unveiled Thursday says CenturyLink Field, but some fans say they'll call it the Clink.

When CenturyLink purchased Qwest in April the telecommunications compnay also took over the naming rights contract for the stadium where the Sounders also play. Qwest Field is history.

KING 5 conducted a survey on Facebook asking fans what the nickname of the stadium should be. More than half said "Seahawks Stadium." Second place went to "The Clink" followed by "Royal Brougham Park," "Evergreen Stadium" and "Quest Spelled Correctly Stadium."
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

but some fans say they'll call it the Clink
Great minds think alike! :)
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

It's hard to move from monosyllabic names to multisyllabic.  Qwest Center just rolls of the tongue.  CenturyLink Center doesn't.  And some are worse than others.  Target Field, in Minneapolis - good.  TD Ameritrade Park, in Omaha - not so good.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Who among us thinks the term Century-Link will exist in anyone's lexicon in 2020?
Midtown Gal
Home Owners Association

Post by Midtown Gal »

Anyone know the exact day when they are going to change the signage on the building to Century Link??
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Yeah, I put my foot in my mouth yesterday when my wife and I were walking around downtown.  I was explaining how she wouldn't be able to go to the Qwest for concerts anymore because it's now the Century Link Center, only to come around a corner and see the Qwest signage still up.

She also things that "Century Link Center" sounds lame.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

They've started on the changeover on the arena signage.  2 large cranes are onsite this morning removing the old Qwest logo from the south side of the arena.
Last edited by Ben on Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.