Qwest Center to change to Century Link

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Hmmm.... what if they did Green and and an aquaish green?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I think the green and white will look clean and crisp, and is in line with Century Link's brand, which I'm sure is a primary concern.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I think the green and white will look clean and crisp, and is in line with Century Link's brand, which I'm sure is a primary concern.

Well Of course...

However, there's something to be said for color theory.  The purple lighting was optimal for the texture, color and etc of the building.  No, it doesn't look atrocious now, but it will never look as good as before with the green.  Also purple has a association with mystic and even magic, like it heightens (if only psychologically) what happens within the building.  Think of the big ball silver ball at Epcot and Cinderella's Castle at The Magic Kingdom for example.  Very similar lighting schemes.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I've never heard that the purple was "optimal for the texture," nor do I see any reason that green and white wouldn't look just fine with the texture. Furthermore, it always seemed to me that the purple was a mistake---a failed attempt to achieve the "Qwest" blue of the signage. Otherwise why would Qwest choose purple. I always thought that looked tacky and unintentional.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

I kinda loved the purple... Purple also has association with loyalty. But the two color themes communicate differently. Green and white is modern and clean, where as Blue and Purple is, as said, mysterious, and royal. Magical, you could say.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I hark back to the days when the local monopoly fishwrap refused to call it the Qwest Center Omaha and would only refer to it as the Omaha Arena and Convention Center.  Childish?  You betcha.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Why wouldn't they call it the Qwest?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Noticed that the blue strip lighting was back tonight after having previously been green.  Maybe some testing going on?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebport5 wrote:Noticed that the blue strip lighting was back tonight after having previously been green.  Maybe some testing going on?
Its been that way for a few days.  I know they are still waiting on the Filters for the other lights so may be they put it back until they arrive?
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

The new Century Link Center Omaha signs look better than I ever expected.  I can't wait for them to get the finishing touches all done on all the other lights.
where the corn meets the concrete
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:
Seth wrote:While driving back from Ashland today, my wife and I noticed the Qwest signs up on I-80 (and I'm sure there are more on I-480 and other highways and streets).  I wonder who will be paying to change those signs and when they'll be switched out?  BTW, "Centurylink Center" will take up a lot more space on those green highway signs!
WOWT just said I 408 will close this week to replace a "large sign over 480 on the Missouri River" I bet it has something to do with this.
I noticed this in the World Herald:
Temporary closing for I-480
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120309/NEWS01/120309628/-1#temporary-closing-for-i-480
The closing, from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m., is necessary to install a permanent sign structure. Commonwealth Electric Company of the Midwest is the contractor
I wonder if this is for the new signage for the CenturyLink Center.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

The timing fits with the rest of the new signs on I-80.  It will probably look like the other overhead ones that say "Evnt-Ctr/Ballpark".
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There has been a sign sitting on the east side of the Missouri River Bridge that was going to be put up a while back but weather delayed it.  I bet its just that sign, nothing to do with the clink.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

are they still planning on switching the accent lighting on the arena to green?  I can't believe that its taken this long to order replacement colored filters for the lights....  I would have thought that MECA would have pushed to get it done for an upcoming large event at the Clink, like the NCAA basketball games this weekend.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

The lights were changed on the Clink this weekend to pink (the stip lighting) and white accents for the Susan G Komen walk this past weekend, so maybe this is the intermediate step in getting to the full green Clink color scheme that they'd talked about forever ago when the changed sinage from Qwest to Centurylink.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Ben wrote:The lights were changed on the Clink this weekend to pink (the stip lighting) and white accents for the Susan G Komen walk this past weekend, so maybe this is the intermediate step in getting to the full green Clink color scheme that they'd talked about forever ago when the changed sinage from Qwest to Centurylink.
It was pink for one day last year too.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Brad wrote:
Ben wrote:The lights were changed on the Clink this weekend to pink (the stip lighting) and white accents for the Susan G Komen walk this past weekend, so maybe this is the intermediate step in getting to the full green Clink color scheme that they'd talked about forever ago when the changed sinage from Qwest to Centurylink.
It was pink for one day last year too.
I missed this KEY part of your post.  Those were filters so that is a good sign of Progress.  They had to be removed individually.  I saw it last night and it looked good!
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

The lights on the wedge are all white this morning and it looks SHARP! I'd like it if they just left it that way.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

mr. omaha wrote:The lights on the wedge are all white this morning and it looks SHARP! I'd like it if they just left it that way.
I drove around it again last night and it does look good.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Qwest Center to change to Century Link

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

love how they need a $50,000 study to do that. :?
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

I would hope that some group of some kind would buy the rights and rename it to something locally or culturally significant. Yeah, I know, in my dreams! :(
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

They need to go to the top bidder. I imagine CenturyLink will try and renew. I could also see Cox getting in on this.

Greg
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Well, we can assume Baxter won't bid on that one. That could get confusing.

I hope it stays Centurylink for a while longer, since it seems strange to change it too often.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

I'm sure MECA will try to keep it CenturyLink, unless they offer some terrible deal for it. Name changes are costly, and you lose name recognition.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Garrett wrote:I'm sure MECA will try to keep it CenturyLink, unless they offer some terrible deal for it. Name changes are costly, and you lose name recognition.
There's got to be a lot of effort and expense at changing. From the signage on the interstate, around OM, DT, etc, to the interior signage, as well as all the logos, promotional information and everything within the management organization.

It would be pretty funny if it went to Cox. We could just start calling it the "Telecommunications Center" (or Telco Center, for short) and save the trouble of learning a new name every 5 years.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

But isn't the expense of changing-up on the shoulders of the bidder, if I were MECA I'd certainly not pay for it.
15-17, 26, 32
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

Centurylink paid to change over the signs from Qwest to Centurylink so I assume if the name changes so will the new right holders.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

There is intrinsic value to a stable name. With CenturyLink's continued presence in the city and the building's name brand at stake I am sure the two parties will figure out a fair deal for both sides to keep the green lights on.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

And there's also advantages of a rebrand, depends who you ask.
15-17, 26, 32