Borders Closing

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Fromaha
Home Owners Association

Borders Closing

Post by Fromaha »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110719/M ... st-chapter

Now that Borders will be closing all its remaining 399 stores, I can't help but wonder what will take its place, especially at the 72nd and Dodge Street location. That is such a prime location, but I wonder what kind of business, if any, would fit in that building. Maybe some of the development from University Village will help.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

Omaha By Design's rendering had a mid-rise apartment/condo building going there. Not sure if any residential developers would be interested in the space.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

riceweb wrote:Omaha By Design's rendering had a mid-rise apartment/condo building going there. Not sure if any residential developers would be interested in the space.
The area is "blighted" now.  Developers can get TIF funding much easier so I wouldn't be surprised if a developer looks at redeveloping that corner in the intermediate future.
Fromaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Fromaha »

Sounds good. Maybe with a skywalk across Dodge to another new building on the northwest corner. Seems like the perfect time to redevelop that whole area.
Melissa
Home Owners Association

Post by Melissa »

I wonder how receptive some of the businesses in that area would be to moving across the street to a re-developed Crossroads (Verizon, Pearl Vision, Pier 1, Five Guys, etc.)?  This could be a great opportunity to re-grade and redevelop several blocks in that area.
“Auditors are the people who show up after the battle and stab the wounded.”
Jaybird
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jaybird »

Well, that's a relief.  I'd heard a few months ago from someone who works at Trader Joe's that TJs was looking seriously at that space, but God knows there's such a gaping, yawning WalMart void between 99th & Military and 156th & Maple that we desperately need another WalMart in there instead.  In fact, I'm not sure one WalMart's enough to fill that six-mile WalMart-less corridor, especially since there's no place to buy groceries around there--unless you count two Hy Vees, two Bakers, a Bag n Save, and Super Target.  

Sorry my virgin post is so snarky but I'm bummed that Trader Joe's isn't moving in there and, man, I hate Wal Mart and how they're taking over Omaha, along with CVS.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I see that there's still bitterness over the 49er being torn down.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

jessep28 wrote:I see that there's still bitterness over the 49er being torn down.
Yeah, but if they would have built a Trader Joe's instead of another crappy CVS, I'll bet there would be a lot less frustration.