Bellevue University

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Bellevue University

Post by nebugeater »

Does anyone know why there are picketers at BU.  The big sign they are standing by says SHAME ON BELLEVUE UNIVERSITY.  I have seen them off and on for quite a few weeks.  The ones I see are Just West of Galvin Road on Harvell near the BU build that part of used to be a Kmart.  I do not remember seeing anything about this and A quick search didn't yield and info.  If they are trying to get their message out by picketing there sign doesn't tell me anything at least.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The probably used non-union drywallers.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Yep. Gallup got the same treatment while building their south expansion. They hired both union and non-union drywallers and when the union guys were done with their portion they hired warm bodies from Kansas City to sit on Abbott Dr. and picket the project. Same thing is going on over at Alegent off 96th & Q, Red Mango in NDT and some small restaurant off of 84th & Center, IIRC.   :roll:
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

The OWH has a story on these SHAME ON signs that pop up around the area every soe often.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130918/N ... e-on-signs

You first saw it while driving west down Dodge Street and wailing along to the Stones or Springsteen or Swift.

Then you glanced right. You did a double-take. You quit singing.

It is a giant sign, a banner really. In blood-red block letters, the banner says:

“Shame on Archdiocese of Omaha.”

That first time, you whizzed by and you stared back at the sign through your passenger side mirror.
In most instances, this happens in a manner completely acceptable to the Shame Guy.

When it does not, when Richard Marshall and other union leaders believe carpenters are being treated unfairly, out come the big signs.

“This is brought on by owners cutting corners and wanting to do construction projects as cheaply as possible,” Richard says after we order coffee from our friendly, nonunionized Village Inn waitress. “What's the easiest way to have a cheap job site? Not pay workers a fair wage. Not give them benefits. Pay them under the table. Pay them in cash.”

Of course, there is another side to this story, one that is told in court cases and by business owners: The union is simply trying to force contractors to hire its union's employees, they argue. Nothing more or less.

Either way, you can read the end result in giant, blood-red block letters.

Shame on Raisin' Canes. Shame on SAC Federal Credit Union.

Shame on Cherry Berry.

Shame on a total of eight businesses sprinkled throughout Omaha.

“We're educating the public about what's going on,” Richard says.

Well, kind of.
The two or three workers positioned behind the sign wouldn't talk to me much beyond a general exchanging of pleasantries and a look that said, “Why is this strange redheaded man bothering us?”

There's a reason for this: The union instructs the sign holders not to speak to passers-by even when they ask about the sign.

Why? Because the sign holders aren't themselves members of the union. They are actually part-time employees — part-time employees who are paid hourly and don't receive benefits
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I was wondering about this yesterday. I was guys putting up a sign on 180th just south of Dodge that said Shame on... Village Pointe Pediatrics... Labor Dispute or something... Right on their property and wondered how they could do this. I guess it is on a right of way where you can post any sign, but these are long 12 foot or so banners. They can do this?
Last edited by Coyote on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:I was wondering about this yesterday. I was guys putting up a sign on 180th just south of Dodge that said Shame on... Village Pointe Pediatrics... Union haters or something... Right on their property and wondered how they could do this.

Correction
Non Union Haters
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just corrected that to Labor Dispute, they are protesting non-union employment...
as if they are union haters... Still...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Right on their property and wondered how they could do this. I guess it is on a right of way where you can post any sign, but these are long 12 foot or so banners. They can do this?
Yes, they area always on the sidewalk or public property.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:Just corrected that to Labor Dispute, they are protesting non-union employment...
as if they are union haters... Still...
Got ya.   See what you meant but it is not how I first read it.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Coyote wrote:I was wondering about this yesterday. I was guys putting up a sign on 180th just south of Dodge that said Shame on... Village Pointe Pediatrics... Labor Dispute or something... Right on their property and wondered how they could do this. I guess it is on a right of way where you can post any sign, but these are long 12 foot or so banners. They can do this?
That sign has been there for more than a year now. It's always there during the day, but usually gone in the evenings.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A year, really? It look like they were just installing it, maybe they were taking it down. Funny thing, as the article said, maybe I have just ignored it, the only reason I saw it was I was at Walgreens and heading back to Dodge.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Coyote wrote:A year, really? It look like they were just installing it, maybe they were taking it down. Funny thing, as the article said, maybe I have just ignored it, the only reason I saw it was I was at Walgreens and heading back to Dodge.
Well... they're basically like just these big movable signs. They take it down and put it back up daily, and there are always people just standing there with it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

People just standing there with it... just being paid to stand there with it.
What was that ballot proposal a few years back that was sponsored by California money - and had paid non-Nebraska people to buy sigs at Post offices.
This is pathetic, no matter where you stand on Labor side issues...
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Very pathetic. But hey, you get paid to do nothing and say nothing. Where do I sign up?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

There was one in front of I think Centris on 114th for the longest time. I figured it was their employees striking. What do they really plan to accomplish here? Nobody knows what the heck they're there for and as the article said, they can't tell you even if you go up to them and ask. Now that I know what it really is, I gotta say it's an incredibly stupid PR stunt. They've made themselves out to be crybabies who suffer from butthurt symptom.

Butthurt symptom is a common but serious medical condition. If symptoms persist, please see your doctor. :;): [/Pharma commercial]
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

I can kinda appreciate these silent protesters now. Living in Chicago I can't walk 10 feet without someone harassing me for a money or a signature for some cause or another.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

At the very least, they tell you what they're standing for if asked, though. These people are literally here for nothing.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride