Omaha's "String of Pearls"

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Omaha's "String of Pearls"

Post by iamjacobm »

The hail storm the other night destroyed many of the "String of Pearls" lights.  Apparently it will cost 500K to replace and the WOWT boards are going wild at the thought of replacing them.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

String of Pearls to shine on Buffett crowd

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120207/N ... fett-crowd
Juan Perez Jr. WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The damaged fixtures will be replaced with energy-saving LED bulbs — a change that officials say could save up to $150,000 in annual energy costs. The city hopes to replace all the string's bulbs with LED technology within five years.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I laugh every time I see those words...

Laugh.
Stable genius.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

All snarkiness aside, why has it taken 6 months to repair these light fixtures that line Omaha's front door?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote:All snarkiness aside, why has it taken 6 months to repair these light fixtures that line Omaha's front door?
If I remember right they were a custom order and they are being upgraded to more energy efficient LED lights.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

On my trip to the airport last weekend, they looked just as broken as the day after the storm.  I guess the parts must still be on order?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

They are almost all repaired.  I drove the route on April 24 and there were only a few dozen broken fixtures left, and repair crews were at work as I drove by.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Wow, I must have missed that.  I left town on the 22nd and it seemed like quite a few were still broken.  At that rate, they'll be finished pretty soon.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha's 'Pearls' shine again

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120429/N ... hine-again
Juan Perez Jr. WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The “String of Pearls” lining Abbott Drive are glowing again, just in time to welcome Berkshire Hathaway shareholders arriving in Omaha this week.

Finishing touches on the set of lights along Abbott Drive were largely completed last week, said City Traffic Engineer Todd Pfitzer.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

They have got to stop calling this string of pearls.  They might as well change the name of Gene Leahy Mall to Cream Pie Park.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

In Seattle the babe is also lined with a string of pearls.

http://ridetheslut.com/
Stable genius.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

I flew in last night and several of them were still dark.

In fact, I considered the streets in the Eppley area to be poorly lit!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Every city should welcome tourists with a pearl necklace...
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Omababe wrote:I flew in last night and several of them were still dark.

In fact, I considered the streets in the Eppley area to be poorly lit!
Thats why we have headlights.  Seriously though Id be curious to know which ones you thought were too dark.  The lighting scheme on Abbott is silly.  Even without any of the globes working the hockey pucks provide continuous light along the stretch.  When you put the two together its so overlit its absurd.  Even without the pucks, the globes are too close together.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

cdub wrote:The lighting scheme on Abbott is silly.  Even without any of the globes working the hockey pucks provide continuous light along the stretch.  When you put the two together its so overlit its absurd.  Even without the pucks, the globes are too close together.
I agree.  I like the rows of globes, but it just looks silly to have them next to to ordinary streetlights, especially when both of them are spaced so close.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Seth wrote:
cdub wrote:The lighting scheme on Abbott is silly.  Even without any of the globes working the hockey pucks provide continuous light along the stretch.  When you put the two together its so overlit its absurd.  Even without the pucks, the globes are too close together.
I agree.  I like the rows of globes, but it just looks silly to have them next to to ordinary streetlights, especially when both of them are spaced so close.
Agreed.... I have seen them in another city, although i cant think of where at the moment but the string of pearls was more of an accent with blue/purple lighting
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

cdub wrote:Seriously though Id be curious to know which ones you thought were too dark.
It just seems like whenever I fly in at 0-dark-hundred and eventually get out of the long term lot, it seems DARK along Abbott Drive, particularly the left turn from the south long term lot onto southbound Abbott. I'm always afraid I'm gonna run into a median section or get in the wrong lane.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Omaha's "String of Pearls"

Post by iamjacobm »

117 globes broken...again.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:117 globes broken...again.
I thought they replaced then with plastic? Do the globes in Dubdee break like this all the time?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

They said it would cost around $200k and not get done before the CWS.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Take em out!!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I like the lights and think they look very nice coming in from Eppley, but maybe they can look to see if there is a light that would better withstand hail. I just can't see how they can keep replacing these every 2-3 years. With all the technology and different styles of lighting fixtures available, there has got to be something that is better.
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:117 globes broken...again.
I thought they replaced then with plastic?  Do the globes in Dubdee break like this all the time?
I rode my bike down Abbott Dr the day after that storm and checked out the debris on the ground from them and they were some type of hard plastic.
Life is the sh*t that happens while we wait for moments that never come.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Does anyone know if these have been fixed yet? It has been three months.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Nope.... just came from the airport this evening
2Adam29
Home Owners Association

Post by 2Adam29 »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

City is on the road to a more durable String of Pearls

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/city-is ... d5669.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jessica Gibbs World-Herald staff writer wrote:He expects repairs to begin by late November, and to be completed within 30 days.
Jessica Gibbs World-Herald staff writer wrote:Two main decisions have been made about the replacement. After testing multiple products, the city selected polycarbonate material to replace the globes. It’s a material roughly 200 times stronger than glass.

The city also plans to replace all of the bulbs with LED lights. Discussions about LED lights began after a 2011 storm, Koti said. Those damaged lights were replaced with LED bulbs, resulting in a 60 to 70 percent reduction in energy costs.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Good to hear.
threeoutside
New to the Neighborhood

Post by threeoutside »

I'm arriving late to this discussion, but one thing struck me: Why don't they *already* have "hats" over the top - hasn't anyone in this city ever heard of light pollution? Cities all over the globe are capping their street lights to curb light pollution. Seems to me caps would solve two problems - broken "pearls" and light pollution from that set of lights. :?:
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

threeoutside wrote:I'm arriving late to this discussion, but one thing struck me: Why don't they *already* have "hats" over the top - hasn't anyone in this city ever heard of light pollution? Cities all over the globe are capping their street lights to curb light pollution. Seems to me caps would solve two problems - broken "pearls" and light pollution from that set of lights. :?:
They would also make them not look like a string of pearls anymore.

Besides, the photopollution from them is only a small part of the photopollution from Eppley and from the Clink, and the Bob.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Voting on spending a little over $90K for replacement bulbs next week.
threeoutside
New to the Neighborhood

Post by threeoutside »

bigredmed wrote:Besides, the photopollution from them is only a small part of the photopollution from Eppley and from the Clink, and the Bob.
I'm sorry, I'm not in the In Crowd; what are the Clink and the Bob?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

threeoutside wrote:I'm sorry, I'm not in the In Crowd; what are the Clink and the Bob?
Clink = CenturyLink Center Omaha
Bob = Bob Kerry Missouri River Pedestrian Bridge.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

bigredmed wrote:
threeoutside wrote:I'm arriving late to this discussion, but one thing struck me: Why don't they *already* have "hats" over the top - hasn't anyone in this city ever heard of light pollution? Cities all over the globe are capping their street lights to curb light pollution. Seems to me caps would solve two problems - broken "pearls" and light pollution from that set of lights. :?:
They would also make them not look like a string of pearls anymore.

Besides, the photopollution from them is only a small part of the photopollution from Eppley and from the Clink, and the Bob.
Unfortunately, people were/are so smitten and bedazzled by the name "String of Pearls" that we're stuck with them now, even though there are many other aesthetically pleasing light fixtures available that don't contribute so much to light pollution. But realistically, I agree it is a small part of the overall problem.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

From Mayor Stothert's fb page:
Many of you have asked about replacing the string of pearls along Abbott Drive. Most of the globes shattered during a hail storm earlier this year. The new globes will be delivered and installed in January. The new globes are made of polycarbonate, 200 times stronger than glass.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Anybody know if 200x is enough? I am no physics major, so this is purely out of curiosity.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Kiewit Foundation giving the city a $50K grant for the repairs.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

After a long break from air travel, I few out of Eppley last weekend and on the drive, my wife noticed all the broken globes. We couldn't remember if they were recent, or leftover from the 2012 storm.

After 5 years here in Omaha, I've kind of become accustomed to seeing the broken globes and malfunctioning lights on the Bob pylons. It's almost part of the city's character :;):
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Seth wrote:After a long break from air travel, I few out of Eppley last weekend and on the drive, my wife noticed all the broken globes.  We couldn't remember if they were recent, or leftover from the 2012 storm.

After 5 years here in Omaha, I've kind of become accustomed to seeing the broken globes and malfunctioning lights on the Bob pylons.  It's almost part of the city's character  :;):
They look sad during the day when I keep having to drive to the Open Door Mission.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Seth wrote:After a long break from air travel, I few out of Eppley last weekend and on the drive, my wife noticed all the broken globes.  We couldn't remember if they were recent, or leftover from the 2012 storm.

After 5 years here in Omaha, I've kind of become accustomed to seeing the broken globes and malfunctioning lights on the Bob pylons.  It's almost part of the city's character  :;):
The current damage is from the 2014 storm in June. They recently had an article in the paper stating that they should be repaired this spring with globes that will be much stronger than glass.