Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

blueblood
Home Owners Association

This is your local newspaper

Post by blueblood »

Are you kidding me?

http://m.omaha.com/om/pm_23081/contentd ... d=PHl7UiAM

So proud  of how this must look to anyone from anywhere else.  What an embarrassing newspaper.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

blol
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Why can't I marry Ron Brown to a dude?
Stable genius.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

Big E wrote:Why can't I marry Ron Brown to a dude?
Given the Ted Haggard vibe Ron gives off, he might not really object if you did.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I tried to marry Lauren Cook with Alfonzo Dennard. I was trying to procreate an abusive drunk.  :)
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

While the OWH was at it, they should have also had one of those deals which predicts what your kids are going to look like.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Omababe
Planning Board

Re: This is your local newspaper

Post by Omababe »

blueblood wrote:What an embarrassing newspaper.
Slow news day! (week? month?)
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Omababe wrote:
blueblood wrote:What an embarrassing newspaper.
Slow news day! (week? month?)
"Slow" news organization.
Stable genius.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Professor Woland wrote:
Big E wrote:Why can't I marry Ron Brown to a dude?
Given the Ted Haggard vibe Ron gives off, he might not really object if you did.
You know what the evidence shows about homophobes.  They secretly want to get hot and nasty with other dudes.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

ModeShift Omaha's Heyday on May Day, an event to promote transportation options in Omaha, didn't make it anywhere onto omaha.com that I've seen, but today they're running a lengthy story on a girl who took a cardboard cutout of Tim Tebow to prom.

I don't even...

/rant.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The World-Herald has won two prestigious National Headliner Awards, sponsored by the Press Club of Atlantic City, N.J.
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120505/NEWS01/705059853
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

The OWH posted a revolutionary "Three Nutrition Habits to Avoid" column today. Two of the three are:

- Don't forget to eat

- Don't eat large portions

Seriously, who would have thought?
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

ShawJ wrote:The OWH posted a revolutionary "Three Nutrition Habits to Avoid" column today. Two of the three are:

- Don't forget to eat

Sounds like something WOWT News would air during Sweeps Week! :)

I'm holding my breath, what is #3? I guess I could look it up, but I'm sure it's Paid Content. :)
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Omababe wrote:
ShawJ wrote:The OWH posted a revolutionary "Three Nutrition Habits to Avoid" column today. Two of the three are:

- Don't forget to eat

Sounds like something WOWT News would air during Sweeps Week! :)

I'm holding my breath, what is #3? I guess I could look it up, but I'm sure it's Paid Content. :)
Being a weekend warrior - waiting until the weekend to eat on a schedule and exercise.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Am I the only one who rolled my eyes through this entire article?

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120701/N ... fter-hours

Putting the shooting aside, how do people expect people to act when you have a small area filled with bars?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Well I for one EXPECT people to not kill each other.  I expect them to follow police instruction and depart when told, it should never have to come to pepper shots.  I expect that illigal drug use will be confronted by the authorites and alcohol will be treated with the respect that it deserves.  I expect that this area doesn't turn into a riot zone or gang land just becuase the bars close.  If any expects less then that is part of the issue.

ShawJ wrote:Am I the only one who rolled my eyes through this entire article?

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120701/N ... fter-hours

Putting the shooting aside, how do people expect people to act when you have a small area filled with bars?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

nebugeater wrote:Well I for one EXPECT people to not kill each other.
Same.
 I expect them to follow police instruction and depart when told, it should never have to come to pepper shots.
Agreed. But I don't think police are resorting to pepper spray every night in the Old Market. This was a rare example.
I expect that illigal drug use will be confronted by the authorites and alcohol will be treated with the respect that it deserves.
In an ideal world alcohol would be treated with respect, but how often does that actually happen? You can't fill an area with bars and then expect all of the people to act mature and smart. That doesn't mean that people have a free pass to kill people and get violent, but again, that's a rare example.
 I expect that this area doesn't turn into a riot zone or gang land just becuase the bars close.  If any expects less then that is part of the issue.
And that's where I disagree with the article. I don't think the Old Market is turning into a riot zone at all. The shooting was unfortunate but also extremely rare for the area.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I thought it was a good article, not too much fluff.  

These things will happen sometimes in a city, it's a shame it happened but until it turns into a trend there's not much to be worried about.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Linkin5 wrote:I thought it was a good article, not too much fluff.  

These things will happen sometimes in a city, it's a shame it happened but until it turns into a trend there's not much to be worried about.
I agree, the article seemed pretty balanced towards the cops and the old market business owners, but failed to be more critical on the group of people who deserve it and they are the hooligans and criminals who seem to think that they are entitled to trash places.   Till the OWH and the other media show the stones and the objectivity to call these jerks out, we will see more encroachment into other common areas of the city and will soon see a decline in the use of these areas and a flight to safety by the people who can handle their highs and dont want to deal with this nonsense.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Now Michael Jordan's kid is getting arrested in the Old Market, |expletive| is seriously getting rowdy down there now a days.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The article was decent, but I couldn't really tell if it was supposed to be about Old Market safety, or an update on the shooting.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I expected to see something about "hey kids, get off my lawn" near the end of the article. It felt more like an over dramatic editorial lecture on manners, with some shooting detail thrown in so it could live in the news section.
OWH wrote:The music ends, the lights are turned on and police begin the task of getting the mass to move on. They sometimes fire pepper balls into the air.

This is not the Old Market of corner musicians and khakis and decorative basket sales. This is something darker and more dangerous.
And the Oscar goes to....
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Where's the "in a world..." guy when you need him?
Stable genius.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Big E wrote:Where's the "in a world..." guy when you need him?
He died four years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_LaFontaine
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120706/NEWS/707069938

I wonder if they'll run a story about how air conditioning helped keep people from suffering/dying of heat stroke despite the heatwave this past week.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

OWH site is down.  People will just have to get their news from this site.

In other words, just another day....

They'll figure it out if someone checks the monthly stats & says "Hey, Warren, seems like nobody is reading our internets anymore"

By the way, OWH, Godaddy called.  You owe $19.95 for your web site for the month.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Whoever reports on car accidents needs to learn more about cars. That person (or department) keeps labeling vehicles involved in accidents as SUVs when they are not. Apparently a pick-up truck with a bed topper or any type of hatchback is now considered an SUV by OWH staff.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Whoever reports on car accidents needs to learn more about cars. That person (or department) keeps labeling vehicles involved in accidents as SUVs when they are not. Apparently a pick-up truck with a bed topper or any type of hatchback is now considered an SUV by OWH staff.
Not a phenomenon only at the OWH.

KMTV reporter interviewed the warden of the state pen after an inmate was shot and killed trying to escape.  He was hit in the center of his chest by a .308.   She claimed the warden had a "shoot to kill order".   The warden never could get her to understand that the guards are taught to shoot at the center of the mass and that this for the safety of others as it lowers the risk of missing.   She could just not get it through her head that it was not ok to aim at their foot.

Granted, this was KMTV, but there seems to be a lot of journos that don't get out much.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

http://www.theonion.com/articles/econom ... ali,28718/

Sometimes you find a lot of truth in humor.
vargas
New to the Neighborhood

Post by vargas »

I have to say that I stopped taking the OWH 4 years ago.  I occasionally will read their online version; however, it becomes more unbearable with each "upgrade" they do to the appearance.  Whether they will admit it or not, they have also changed since the purchase by Warren - and not for the better.  Their really is nothing to the newspaper anymore on weekdays.  Sad.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

vargas wrote:I have to say that I stopped taking the OWH 4 years ago.  I occasionally will read their online version; however, it becomes more unbearable with each "upgrade" they do to the appearance.  Whether they will admit it or not, they have also changed since the purchase by Warren - and not for the better.  Their really is nothing to the newspaper anymore on weekdays.  Sad.
Definitely in the tank for Kerrey.    They keep tinkering with layout and do nothing about their content problems.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Re:

TitosBuritoBarn wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:48 am Whoever reports on car accidents needs to learn more about cars. That person (or department) keeps labeling vehicles involved in accidents as SUVs when they are not. Apparently a pick-up truck with a bed topper or any type of hatchback is now considered an SUV by OWH staff.
Pardon me circling back to this rant from 2012, but this continues to be a pet peeve of mine. Granted, since all media outlets continue to do this I have to think it's the police department's fault for an erroneous accident report.

Anyway, most of the time when I find local media mislabeling cars as SUVs they are at least a truck with a bed topper or a hatchback as mentioned previously - something with a rear hatch like you'd find on an actual SUV. Today there was an accident involving an "SUV" that they identified as a "2018 Nissan Altima."

THIS IS NOT AN SUV!!!!!!!! :rant:
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I'm just surprised by two things:

1) That there is still someone on the payroll to write a story.

2) That they would devote any space in the paper to something that isn't an ad.