Douglas County Fair

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Douglas County Fair

Post by Guest »

I'm interested in hearing what everyone's take on the Douglas County Fair is, and what can be done to make it better.  As of now, it is hidden away downtown within the  River City Roundup.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It would be better if you would get a few more taller, colorful rides, and park them close to abbott dr.  :;):

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Honestly though, I have not been to either the Fair or RCR since they were at Aksarben.  It has nothing to do with the location, I am downtown all the time, it just never dings my radar.
Omababe
Planning Board

Re: Douglas County Fair

Post by Omababe »

Anonymous wrote:I'm interested in hearing what everyone's take on the Douglas County Fair is, and what can be done to make it better.  As of now, it is hidden away downtown within the  River City Roundup.
In my very not so humble opinion, they ruined it when they moved it out of the permanent, but admittedly aging, facility out by Elkhorn.

A "County Fair", again in my not so humble opinion, is not supposed to be urban. It's supposed to be rural and very earthy in nature. There were permanent buildings out there, plenty of shade in the daytime, not too many bugs in the nighttime, and you could walk over to El Bee's after. :)

As to what you can do to make it better, build a new permanent facility in some remaining un-annexed community in the county, if there is one.

If you can fall asleep at the County Fair, wake up at the Santa Lucia Festival, and not notice the difference, something is wrong!

Okay, I'll shut up now ...
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Stop having a Douglas County fair.  Start having a metro fair with Sarpy and maybe Washington counties.   Have it at either the Sarpy fair grounds or the Washington county fair grounds.

The DC co. fair has sucked so hard and for so long that no one thinks of going.   This is what the RedSky festival is heading to.   Sucking over and over causes fewer and fewer people to want to go and less buzz is generated till the point of no buzz, and no people.  

I don't think that moving it to the rural part of the county would work, and it would be costly.  Frankly, I would rather see that part of the county stay rural or get developed for something that would be more generally productive than a fair ground.
Original poster

Post by Original poster »

I dont think Sarpy or Washington Counties would be willing to cede their fairs to Omaha control.

And I agree that the Douglas County fair does suck, as it is now.  If the fair was able to get permanent fairgrounds near Waterloo again, either along W Maple or W Dodge, and not allow itself to be an extension of the Knights of Aksarben, it would have the potential to rival the state fair.  Theres still many thousands of acres of land to develop before developers try to install sewers in the Elkhorn/Platte floodplain
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

The Douglas and Sarpy Co fair already are combined for MANY things.  4-H is a major part of any county fair.  With the move of the Douglas Co fair to the location and dates that it is at there are no 4-H exhibitors that can compete at the county level and then have a chance to advance to the state fair.    Keep in mind there is MUCH more to 4-H than the livestock.  All of the Douglas county 4-H exhibitors enter and compete at the Sarpy county fair and it has been that way since the move to DT.  At the Douglas Co fair all that the 4-H programs do is exhibit some select items and some livestock compete in the open class shows.  For all practical purposes the Douglas COUNTY fair is at the Sarpy Co fair.  

The Extension programs for the two counties that in turn oversee the 4-H programs along with many other programs are combined for the two counties in every way.  They work on a combined budget that is determined from one formula with both counties contributing along with the privet funding that are brought in.

What is called the Douglas County fair is in name only and doesn’t represent a county fair at all.  The best comparison to what Omaha could have is the Lancaster county fair (Lincoln) and that is a true county fair like Omaha could have.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Original poster wrote:I dont think Sarpy or Washington Counties would be willing to cede their fairs to Omaha control.

And I agree that the Douglas County fair does suck, as it is now.  If the fair was able to get permanent fairgrounds near Waterloo again, either along W Maple or W Dodge, and not allow itself to be an extension of the Knights of Aksarben, it would have the potential to rival the state fair.  Theres still many thousands of acres of land to develop before developers try to install sewers in the Elkhorn/Platte floodplain
I truly hate to seem statist, but development in that part of the county needs to be severely studied before we go further.   Its one thing for Valley to add a couple of folks, but large scale development is going to bite us in the backside come the next hard winter with a quick thaw.

Probably better to leave that land in ag.   Saves on the number of rescue craft we will need.

Damn this topic for making sound like a fan of the nanny state... :shock:
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Omababe wrote:
Anonymous wrote:I'm interested in hearing what everyone's take on the Douglas County Fair is, and what can be done to make it better.  As of now, it is hidden away downtown within the  River City Roundup.
In my very not so humble opinion, they ruined it when they moved it out of the permanent, but admittedly aging, facility out by Elkhorn.

A "County Fair", again in my not so humble opinion, is not supposed to be urban. It's supposed to be rural and very earthy in nature. There were permanent buildings out there, plenty of shade in the daytime, not too many bugs in the nighttime, and you could walk over to El Bee's after. :)

As to what you can do to make it better, build a new permanent facility in some remaining un-annexed community in the county, if there is one.

If you can fall asleep at the County Fair, wake up at the Santa Lucia Festival, and not notice the difference, something is wrong!
This.  Not EVERYTHING needs to be in downtown.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

joeglow wrote:Not EVERYTHING needs to be in downtown.
And, likewise, not everything needs to be at (what remains of ) AkSarBen!
All of the Douglas county 4-H exhibitors enter and compete at the Sarpy county fair and it has been that way since the move to DT.
The most intriguing idea I've seen in this thread is for a formal or informal multi-county fair, and something like this may be the nucleus of it. It may just kinda happen. :)

Post by Guest »

A multi county fair for the metro area would be interesting and would give the kids in Omaha a chance to compete in the urban fair competitions that 4H has.  Ever been to Harlan, IA for the Shelby Co fair?   They have a great photography contest with broad categories of participants and techniques.

Think about how many city kids could do that.

Categories could be based on age, type of photography, type of post-photo processing allowed, pro vs amateur.  

In Harlan, any age can enter, which makes it a fun way for amateur's to show a photo, and for kids, its exciting to win against an adult.

Photo, cooking, amateur beer brewing contest, plants, dog obedience contest, foot races, the old Punt, Pass, and Kick event for kids.  

There are a lot of things one could add to the regular ag-based fairs that would be additional fun for everyone.

Also agree with both comments regarding the inevitable drift of things downtown or to Aksarben.   I lived in the Orpheum Tower for a couple of years.   Man those parades get old.   Especially on days when I had to go to work.   Nothing quite as fun as having to get up 4 hours early to move my car blocks away and park on a dark side street rather than my secure garage just so I wouldn't get blocked in by ST. fill in the blank's day parade.

I imagine that the people in the condos down by the river and the people in the apartments by the Ak are probably equally tired.
Melissa
Home Owners Association

Post by Melissa »

Anonymous wrote:I imagine that the people in the condos down by the river and the people in the apartments by the Ak are probably equally tired.
Aksarben-folk here.  Nope.  Not even close to tired of having convenient mixed use development and a venue for a wide array of events in my backyard.
“Auditors are the people who show up after the battle and stab the wounded.”
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I think you need to go to some of the county fairs other than the Douglas County fair tied to what it is now.  You are not desribing anything that is not availabe in Nebraska right now and for Douglas county you that are interested in 4-H it is all there at the combined entry options at the Sarpy Co fair every year in Springfield.

Anonymous wrote:A multi county fair for the metro area would be interesting and would give the kids in Omaha a chance to compete in the urban fair competitions that 4H has.  Ever been to Harlan, IA for the Shelby Co fair?   They have a great photography contest with broad categories of participants and techniques.

Think about how many city kids could do that.

Categories could be based on age, type of photography, type of post-photo processing allowed, pro vs amateur.  

In Harlan, any age can enter, which makes it a fun way for amateur's to show a photo, and for kids, its exciting to win against an adult.

Photo, cooking, amateur beer brewing contest, plants, dog obedience contest, foot races, the old Punt, Pass, and Kick event for kids.  

There are a lot of things one could add to the regular ag-based fairs that would be additional fun for everyone.

Also agree with both comments regarding the inevitable drift of things downtown or to Aksarben.   I lived in the Orpheum Tower for a couple of years.   Man those parades get old.   Especially on days when I had to go to work.   Nothing quite as fun as having to get up 4 hours early to move my car blocks away and park on a dark side street rather than my secure garage just so I wouldn't get blocked in by ST. fill in the blank's day parade.

I imagine that the people in the condos down by the river and the people in the apartments by the Ak are probably equally tired.

Post by Guest »

Am I mistaken, or was the Douglas county fair once in Waterloo?  I have fond memories from whatever the location was out 'there'.  Yeah, urban fairs suck.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Anonymous wrote:Am I mistaken, or was the Douglas county fair once in Waterloo?  I have fond memories from whatever the location was out 'there'.  Yeah, urban fairs suck.
Yes it was.  On dedicated fair grounds
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Anonymous wrote:Am I mistaken, or was the Douglas county fair once in Waterloo?  I have fond memories from whatever the location was out 'there'.  Yeah, urban fairs suck.
Yes, and there were permanent buildings and a very nice stage for performances. IIRC it was just a few blocks north of the downtown Waterloo area. There were mature trees in the area, so it was not terribly hot in the daytime.
SabrinaFaire
Home Owners Association

Post by SabrinaFaire »

There's a Douglas County fair?

I say this in part to point out that people don't even know that there is one. I've heard of the River City Round-up but because I don't like rodeos, I don't pay much attention to it, and had no idea that it was combined with the County Fair.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Omababe wrote:
Yes, and there were permanent buildings and a very nice stage for performances. IIRC it was just a few blocks north of the downtown Waterloo area. There were mature trees in the area, so it was not terribly hot in the daytime.
That is exactly how I agree fairs should be too.  I grew up on a dairy farm in Illinois, where we exhibited our cattle at several local county fairs.  They were all dedicated fairgrounds, and while most had been enveloped by suburban sprawl, they still had the rural, agrarian feel that the entire concept was based on.

The big state fairs I've been to (Illinois, in Springfield, Wisconsin, In Milwaukee, and Iowa, in Des Moines) work really well in urban locations, but only because they have so much history.  I love the random assortment of buildings, crooked streets, and alleys that lead to nowhere.  A fair at the Qwest center makes about as much sense to me as a symphony in a haymow.
cpomponne
New to the Neighborhood

Future of the Douglas County Fair

Post by cpomponne »

I am interested in hearing everyone's ideas of what to do with the Douglas County Fair, due to the fact that beginning in 2016, it will no longer be held in conjunction with the Ak-Sar-Ben Stock Show & Rodeo.

Here are a few items that'll help guide you:
  • The fair will likely move back to July/August when county fairs are usually held
  • A merged/joint fair is a non-starter due to 4-H complications. Also, Douglas County's fair is open-class, so anyone from any county/state can enter already
So basically, what do you want to see at the fair?
nebugeater
City Council

Re: Future of the Douglas County Fair

Post by nebugeater »

cpomponne wrote:I am interested in hearing everyone's ideas of what to do with the Douglas County Fair, due to the fact that beginning in 2016, it will no longer be held in conjunction with the Ak-Sar-Ben Stock Show & Rodeo.

• The fair will likely move back to July/August when county fairs are usually held
  • A merged/joint fair is a non-starter due to 4-H complications. Also, Douglas County's fair is open-class, so anyone from any county/state can enter already
I am curious what you mean by this. As far as I understand it the Sarpy Co fair already hosts all the Douglas Co 4-H entries so that they can compete at the state fair if they qualify for that. Anything that has been 4-H related at the Douglas Co fair has been for information and exhibit only, no competition.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

We need a quality fair if we are going to have one. Frankly, ours suck.

4H could sponsor contests that urban people could do. Shelby Co in Iowa has a photo contest that is super popular because there are background type sections, like kid v adult or adult, but not a pro.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

cpomponne wrote:I am interested in hearing everyone's ideas of what to do with the Douglas County Fair, due to the fact that beginning in 2016, it will no longer be held in conjunction with the Ak-Sar-Ben Stock Show & Rodeo.

People may find it hard to believe but when the Douglas County Fair was in Waterloo NE it was a nice little fair. I went every year and did not have a whooping grand time but I enjoyed it. The minute the fair moved from Waterloo to in-town it sucked bad. Having the fair at Aksarben was tolerable but having it downtown at the Century Link is a real stinker. Getting the fair out of downtown would be the first thing that would need to be done to get me back to the fair.
cpomponne
New to the Neighborhood

Post by cpomponne »

nebugeater wrote:

I am curious what you mean by this. As far as I understand it the Sarpy Co fair already hosts all the Douglas Co 4-H entries so that they can compete at the state fair if they qualify for that. Anything that has been 4-H related at the Douglas Co fair has been for information and exhibit only, no competition.
I wasn't talking about with just Sarpy, but Washington/Dodge/Saunders or the making of a regional super-fair
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I see plenty of people in Omaha heading to the Sarpy County Fair.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

cpomponne wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

I wasn't talking about with just Sarpy, but Washington/Dodge/Saunders or the making of a regional super-fair
That footprint is getting kind of big.

There is a regional fair in Fremont that is separate from the county fairs ( four or five counties I think). It has a Lot of 4-H involvement with exhibitors and competition from multiple counties. It does not qualify you for the state fair but it gives competitors a nice dry run. Truth be told this regional fair is no where near what it used to be.

with the size of Douglas Co and the fact that the 4-H portion is already combined with the Sarpy Co fair I think this should be used as the base for expansion with a partner. That answers your question from your original post.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:People may find it hard to believe but when the Douglas County Fair was in Waterloo NE it was a nice little fair. I went every year and did not have a whooping grand time but I enjoyed it. The minute the fair moved from Waterloo to in-town it sucked bad.
Agree. Ditto with moving the State Fair from Lincoln. I wish I had gone to both of those more in the original locations while I could. :(
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Omababe wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:People may find it hard to believe but when the Douglas County Fair was in Waterloo NE it was a nice little fair. I went every year and did not have a whooping grand time but I enjoyed it. The minute the fair moved from Waterloo to in-town it sucked bad.
Agree. Ditto with moving the State Fair from Lincoln. I wish I had gone to both of those more in the original locations while I could. :(
Grand Island is getting some praise for how they have taken over the state fair. You are the first person to criticize it. What has declined?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I have been to the state fair for at least one day ever year since sometime in the Mid 80's

The state Fair in Lincoln was a great event for many years. The last 10 years or so it was a skeleton of itself. It needed to change, IT could have stayed in Lincoln and been reinvented but that didn't happen. I was very skeptical of the move to Grand Island and did't think it would work.

Year one was good and better than the last years in Lincoln. They have done nothing but make it better each year that it has been there.

It is a chicken / egg thing with the fair in Lincoln. Did people stop going because the fair stopped progressing or was it the other way around? Not sure but it was a funding issue for sure. I get that there was a funding structure change at the same time as the move but that aside Grand Island has done it right and if you have not been there for the fair give it a try.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Douglas County Fair being held at Crossroads Mall July 21-23.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Guess that means no demo for a couple more months.
15-17, 26, 32
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

nebugeater wrote:I have been to the state fair for at least one day ever year since sometime in the Mid 80's

The state Fair in Lincoln was a great event for many years. The last 10 years or so it was a skeleton of itself. It needed to change, IT could have stayed in Lincoln and been reinvented but that didn't happen. I was very skeptical of the move to Grand Island and did't think it would work.

Year one was good and better than the last years in Lincoln. They have done nothing but make it better each year that it has been there.

It is a chicken / egg thing with the fair in Lincoln. Did people stop going because the fair stopped progressing or was it the other way around? Not sure but it was a funding issue for sure. I get that there was a funding structure change at the same time as the move but that aside Grand Island has done it right and if you have not been there for the fair give it a try.
Used to go to both state and Douglas County Fairs when I was a kid----and looked forward to them. I felt like a curious outsider since they were both focused on agriculture/farming/ranching and the communities that supported them, so it gave me a window on an otherwise foreign world. With the shift in agriculture from family farms to 'factory' farms, and the decline in rural communities, it wouldn't surprise me if the state fairs around the country diminish in importance, while county fairs disappear altogether.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

MTO wrote:Guess that means no demo for a couple more months.
Try..........Ever.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Douglas County Fair

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

I read in the paper this morning that the Douglas County Fair is going to be at CrossRoads in about 3 weeks. Thats actually the best plan I've heard for Crossroads yet. Going downtown for the fair was a stinker and half. This has got to be a huge improvement. Finally someone came up with a good economical use of crossroads.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Crossroads - Redevelopment Plan

Post by Coyote »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:I read in the paper this morning that the Douglas County Fair is going to be at CrossRoads in about 3 weeks. Thats actually the best plan I've heard for Crossroads yet. Going downtown for the fair was a stinker and half. This has got to be a huge improvement. Finally someone came up with a good economical use of crossroads.
One of the local news stations had a special on this last night... KETV? I only watch ABC ... Free Parking, open bays, central location, I think they really wanted to separate it from the Roundup. Let's see what happens next year, or, if Crossroads is still in limbo...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It needs to go out to Valley. I like county fairs, but not in the middle of a big city, that's just not what county fairs around here are all about.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:It needs to go out to Valley. I like county fairs, but not in the middle of a big city, that's just not what county fairs around here are all about.

Just need to finish the merger and have a combined fair with Sarpy CO in Springfield. Much.... basically all...of the Douglas Co 4-H that is a major part of a County fair already part of the Sarpy Co Fair.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

nebugeater wrote: Just need to finish the merger and have a combined fair with Sarpy CO in Springfield. Much.... basically all...of the Douglas Co 4-H that is a major part of a County fair already part of the Sarpy Co Fair.
Absolutely agree with this.

County fairs are just out of place at a location like Crossroads mall.
No posts exist for this topic
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

MadMartin8 wrote:
nebugeater wrote: Just need to finish the merger and have a combined fair with Sarpy CO in Springfield. Much.... basically all...of the Douglas Co 4-H that is a major part of a County fair already part of the Sarpy Co Fair.

I will go one step further. When they are at a place like Crossroads it is NOT a county fair. It is only a roving carnival.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

I will go one step further. When they are at a place like Crossroads it is NOT a county fair. It is only a roving carnival.
The Douglas County Fair is an Event in search of an Identity. Is it a 'Rodeo', a county 'Fair', a 'Carnival',a 'Farming Community 4H' event? What should an Urban County Fair be? What should it comparable?
Brad
City Council

Douglas County Fair

Post by Brad »

I agree with nebugeater. Merge with sarpy and get it over with. Rural county fairs are great. What ever this currently Douglas County fair is, is just lame.