The Yin's Proposed Gold Coast Home

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

The Yin's Proposed Gold Coast Home

Post by Brad »

Dream home's modern design puts couple at odds with some North Gold Coast residents

http://www.omaha.com/article/20131022/M ... -residents
Cindy Gonzalez / World-Herald staff writer wrote:A new half-million-dollar house — specially designed for construction on a longtime vacant lot east of 42nd Street — might ordinarily be embraced by one of Omaha's oldest neighborhoods.

But the welcome wagon has been anything but rolling in the historic North Gold Coast area, where the uncharacteristically contemporary-style residence is trying to fit in on mansion row.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

After North Gold Coast neighbors object, couple take vision for dream home elsewhere

http://www.omaha.com/article/20131031/M ... -elsewhere
Cindy Gonzalez / World-Herald staff writer wrote: The Omaha couple who had hoped to build their half-million-dollar dream house on a longtime vacant lot in the historic North Gold Coast area have ended their battle.

“We're done,” said Charlie Yin, a partner in the Hiro restaurants of Omaha and Lincoln. “We're just frustrated with the lack of clarity and transparency in the process.”
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I am surprised the OWH comments are this positive and well thought out:
OWH Facebook Page wrote:Milk - The good ol' Nebraska way, repress the young and innovative.

Tom - The Greatest insult that could be paid to the historic is to attempt to build a home to look like homes that were completed over a century ago using plastic and styrofoam. We must be true to our time. This home would have been an appropriate response in its context. I must remind others living in the neighborhood your homes were considered to be some of the most progressive designs in the city when they were completed in their time. The design proposed by the family was design completely in that spirit and context. It makes me sad that the general public can not appreciate this.  This is done everyday in places in the world that have building that 2-4 times older than our city. It is retroactive moments like this that stop us from reaching our potential as a truly "great" city.

Maria - Sorry you couldn't build your home there. But, looking forward to seeing some awesome modern architecture wherever you build your home in Omaha. There is a dearth of good residential design in our city and yours will be a much needed ad/edition. Omaha, take a page out of "Grand Design, London". Now that would be historic!

Eric - It is too bad that they can't build the house they want. All over the world there are cities that have a mixture of historic and modern architectural styles. The people who live in the North Gold Coast are too narrow minded and snobbish to appreciate good design. That vacant lot can stay empty for the next hundred years.

Micaela - Midtown Omaha will never be fully revived if we run off potential homeowners who are willing to invest in the community. A change of perspective and some forward vision is much needed among many long-time residents in this area.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I really like the design of the house. Very forward looking. The Gold Coast can keep their snobbiness.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

That's a shame the Yin's couldn't build their original design where they wanted to locate it. But they're probably better off not building some watered-down version to appease the neighbors. Makes you wonder how free we really are in Omaha when our neighbors or a committee can dictate what our houses look like. I guess it happens all the time in some of the newer neighborhoods with their restrictive covenants though. I'm surprised the Regency neighborhood can now be considered more progressive than the Gold Coast. The former Witherspoon and Thiesen/Wantanabe mansions in Regency were demolished  and replaced with more current progressive architectural designs, similar to Yin's proposed design.  The same architect, Jeff Dolezal of TACK Architects did the new house on the former Thiesen site.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I do have to laugh how someone on the OWH comments jumped to the conclusion that that neighbors were racist.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I think that design of the Yin home is terrible, but to impose where someone can build a well thought-out home is out of the question.  Even though I don't care for the style it is still a financial committment the Yins are making and trying to contribute to the neighborhood.  It is a tough call, and maybe the home wouldn't fit in a an full historic area but it is not like they are demolishing any properties to fit their home in.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Axel wrote:I do have to laugh how someone on the OWH comments jumped to the conclusion that that neighbors were racist.
Stuff like that is almost a given on the internet.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Unbelievable that a home could not be constructed on that century old grass lot.  The scale and colors of the new home were completely complimentary to the historic homes and often times modern designs can enhance and highlight the grandeur of the historic buildings next door and across the street.  Another neighborhood will be lucky to have the Yin's home.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

I certainly don't want a house that looks like an office building  next to mine.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I just walked through my neighborhood here in Chicago these evening and the mix of old style rowhouses with modern steel and glass, and it really is amazing how well they compliment each other. Of course, there were also several new houses they were extremely impressive recreations of the old style too.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC