River City Star

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

eomaha
County Board

Postby eomaha » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:56 pm

I'm glad to see 'Sand in the City' coming back... very cool event ( http://www.eomaha.com/gallery/experiences/1/ )

Among some of my many dreams for Omaha... is the River City Star getting upgraded to a more authentic looking 'paddle wheel' boat. :)

Finn
Parks & Recreation

Postby Finn » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:14 pm

Cool. Maybe Muddy Mo's will increase the foot traffic between there and Rick's Boatyard Cafe.

DTO Luv
City Council

Postby DTO Luv » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:21 am

I have a special connection to that boat. Back when it was still the Belle Of Brownville, my grandpa used to pilot it and he would even let me do it (now the river isn't even safe :P ). I would like to see more boats on the river.

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:06 am

I would also like to see more boats on the river. I think the Missouri seems like a great place for boating that is untapped by many area boaters. I know that in St. Louis the Mississippi is pretty well stocked with private marinas.

Swift
Planning Board

Postby Swift » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:20 am

like this at all hours of the day, instead of only on special occasions:

DTO Luv
City Council

Postby DTO Luv » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:03 pm

A floating restaurant! Think about how unique that would be. :)

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:20 pm

DTO Luv wrote:A floating restaurant! Think about how unique that would be. :)

St. Louis has that too. There's a riverboat that is permanenty achored in front of the arch that houses a McDonalds. There use to be a Burger King one too right next to it, but a big flood about 10 years ago pulled it out of its anchor and it floated away :D

DTO Luv
City Council

Postby DTO Luv » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:51 pm

Maybe something nicer than a BK or McD's. Like a big old looking river boat that's indoors but is open to the outside.

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:07 pm

River City Star making final voyage

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10504482

Christine Laue, OWH wrote:The River City Star will make its final voyage Thursday to a new home in Plattsmouth, where it will become a floating restaurant. Two new riverboats will replace it along Omaha’s riverfront.

The Star, previously called the Belle of Brownville, operated as an excursion boat for public and private cruises for more than 40 years .

Larry Richling, the boat’s most recent owner, said he decided to sell the boat because federal regulations for boats capable of carrying more than 300 passengers became too costly after the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

The two smaller boats, each with a capacity of 149 passengers, fall in a different category with fewer regulations, he said. They will be more cost-effective to operate as an excursion business, Richling said.
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

Stargazer
County Board

Postby Stargazer » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:08 pm

Aw heck... we're moving in the wrong direction... here I was hoping Richling would upgrade to a real paddle boat like you'd see in St Louis/Memphis/etc...

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:37 am

River boats are susceptible to terrorism?

Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Postby Bosco55David » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:21 am

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
DTO Luv wrote:A floating restaurant! Think about how unique that would be.  :)

St. Louis has that too. There's a riverboat that is permanenty achored in front of the arch that houses a McDonalds. There use to be a Burger King one too right next to it, but a big flood about 10 years ago pulled it out of its anchor and it floated away :D

What's interesting about that Burger King is that it was moored right alongside the USS Inaugural, which was a sister ship to the USS Hazard up in Freedom Park. It was the great Flood of 1993 that pulled the Inaugural, Burger King, and a floating heliport down the river. The BK and heliport sank pretty quickly, but the Inaugural floated down the river, slammed into a bridge and ended up on the riverbank, where it sank several days later.

Sadly, the Inaugural is still laying in the river, partially exposed.

http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/330 ... ?service=1

This makes the USS Hazard the absolute last Admirable Class Minesweeper left in the world that is still configured in it's original role. Also, this article is a long but interesting read on the Inaugural/BK/Heliport and it's sinking.

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/2007-03- ... inaugural/

Linkin5
County Board

Postby Linkin5 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:07 am

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:River boats are susceptible to terrorism?

Yeah.....thats what I was thinking.

icejammer
County Board

Postby icejammer » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:12 am

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:River boats are susceptible to terrorism?

Blow up a boat underneath an interstate bridge, bring the bridge down....yes, there are concerns there.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan

almighty_tuna
County Board

Postby almighty_tuna » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:10 pm

Was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time and caught the River City Star cruising down to Plattsmouth.  Ran and grabbed my camera for a quick photo...

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:48 pm

Awesome catch Tuna!
@bradwphoto on Twitter

omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Postby omahastylee459 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:02 pm

Thats too bad, I have only been on it once and it was for a Pirate cruise.  Unfortunately it was the night of the crazy storm in late June so the boat was only half full.  I was hoping to get on it again when it was full but looks like I wont get that chance, Ill have to settle for the smaller boat.

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:23 pm

The big boat was awesome because they would have bands play on the second floor, I hope they can do stuff like that with the new ones.
@bradwphoto on Twitter

DTO Luv
City Council

Postby DTO Luv » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:02 am

My great grandpa was the pilot of that boat for many years when it was the Belle of Brownville. I even got to pilot it by myself once.

Stargazer
County Board

Postby Stargazer » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:18 am

Blow up a boat underneath an interstate bridge, bring the bridge down....yes, there are concerns there.

Wouldn't it be alot easier to just blow up one of the bridge supports?

On the subject of the new riverboats... I believe I found Richling's ... I like that they have functional paddlewheels (I never cared much for the River City Star from an aesthetic standpoint).

Klamath Belle ( http://www.klamathbelle.com ... note operators message to his customers)

Desert Princess II, Lake Mead

Big E
City Council

Postby Big E » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:48 am

As long as we're all using eOmaha to plan our next domestic terrorist strike... :shock:
"The above statement was not intended to be factual."

Stargazer
County Board

Postby Stargazer » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:05 am

Emphasis more on "how fruitless is it to impose all of these added expenses on us in the name of our protection ... when the terrorists are going to find a way around it anyway".

DTO Luv
City Council

Postby DTO Luv » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:13 am

True. I remember someone on here saying we have to plan our lives around that the craziest people might do.

Stargazer
County Board

Postby Stargazer » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:16 am

But just look at those new riverboats folks.  I actually think it's going to be nicer having two of these authentic paddlers going up and down the river.

DTO Luv
City Council

Postby DTO Luv » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:20 am

It will be cool to see another boat from the river if you're on the other boat.

the1wags
County Board

Postby the1wags » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:35 am

I first thought that losing the Star was all bad news too but I'm now liking the two boats.

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:59 pm

Brad wrote:River City Star making final voyage

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10504482

Christine Laue, OWH wrote:The River City Star will make its final voyage Thursday to a new home in Plattsmouth, where it will become a floating restaurant. Two new riverboats will replace it along Omaha’s riverfront.

The Star, previously called the Belle of Brownville, operated as an excursion boat for public and private cruises for more than 40 years .

Larry Richling, the boat’s most recent owner, said he decided to sell the boat because federal regulations for boats capable of carrying more than 300 passengers became too costly after the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

The two smaller boats, each with a capacity of 149 passengers, fall in a different category with fewer regulations, he said. They will be more cost-effective to operate as an excursion business, Richling said.

Then, and now:

[font=Georgia]Original River City Star begins return to Omaha[/font]

KETV wrote:Once it arrives at 151 Freedom Park Road, it will be permanently docked on the riverside and will be a “floating party and boarding barge,” said officials with the River City Star. Public and private cruises on the current River City Star Riverboat will continue.

Brad
City Council

Re: River City Star

Postby Brad » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:07 am

Conflicting reports about the River City Star tonight, but either way they are broke down on a sand bar by Harras. People evacuated the boat on the sand bar with life preservers on.

May had hit the bank turning around, may have hit the ped bridge.
@bradwphoto on Twitter

skinzfan23
County Board

Postby skinzfan23 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:56 am

At least 3 injured after River City Star riverboat strikes bank, forcing evacuation

Passengers aboard the River City Star riverboat were evacuated Friday night in Council Bluffs after the boat struck a bank, lost power and drifted across the Missouri River, police said.

Greg S
County Board

Postby Greg S » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:13 am

Hopefully this is not the end of them. I think they've been on shaky ground in the past. The owner also owned the now closed Hollywood Diners, (and the still open candy store in the old market).

Greg

skinzfan23
County Board

Postby skinzfan23 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:45 am

Greg S wrote:Hopefully this is not the end of them. I think they've been on shaky ground in the past. The owner also owned the now closed Hollywood Diners, (and the still open candy store in the old market).

Greg

I agree, its already embarrassing that we don't have an scenic or excursion train out of Omaha, I wouldn't want to lose our only boat as well.

Return to “News and Events”