Fort Calhoun Power plant

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20818
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Fort Calhoun Power plant

Postby Coyote » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:16 pm

I heard from a reliable inside source that the plant will be coming online this week. They are only waiting for orders to push the button, maybe as soon as tomorrow.
Image

User avatar
S33
County Board
Posts: 4552
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm

Postby S33 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:07 pm

That is surprising. After the story about that plant's so-called "negligence" went national, I thought for sure it was going to be dismantled and turned into a giant brick of concrete.
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Winston Churchill

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6158
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Postby nebugeater » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:59 pm

Wasn't in the news last week on one of the TV stations that it was close?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6158
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Postby nebugeater » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:01 pm

For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20818
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Postby Coyote » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:06 pm

[font=Georgia]Long-idled Fort Calhoun nuclear plant gets green light to restart[/font]

Cody Winchester / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The district began the process of restarting the plant Tuesday. It will take five or six days to attain full power.
Image

User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2382
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Postby jessep28 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:24 pm

S33 wrote:That is surprising. After the story about that plant's so-called "negligence" went national, I thought for sure it was going to be dismantled and turned into a giant brick of concrete.


The hippies who think that we can completely rely on solar and wind power were hoping that would happen. They didn't get their wish. Now that Excelon is in a 20  year contract to run the plant, hopefully it will stay off of regulator's radar.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

bbinks
Human Relations
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm

Postby bbinks » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:57 am

I do not see the need to reopen this plant.   This summer was the highest demand for OPPD, and the other plants kept up just fine.

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6158
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Postby nebugeater » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:37 am

bbinks wrote:I do not see the need to reopen this plant.   This summer was the highest demand for OPPD, and the other plants kept up just fine.


Do we know that they were not buying a sizable Amount of power from the grid?   Wouldn't this be a lower cost generatining option?  Don't know the answered but these are just two questions that come to mind for me before saying it is not needed.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

User avatar
S33
County Board
Posts: 4552
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm

Postby S33 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:50 am

And redundancy, maybe?
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Winston Churchill

bbinks
Human Relations
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm

Postby bbinks » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:23 am

On one of the hotter days in July/August, KETV had a story about power demand, and the OPPD person they spoke with said that they were keeping up with demand.   Whether that means on their own, or buying from within the grid is up to conjecture.

Ben
Human Relations
Posts: 809
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: Westside

Postby Ben » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:54 am

bbinks wrote:I do not see the need to reopen this plant.   This summer was the highest demand for OPPD, and the other plants kept up just fine.


I'm nearly certain this included buying power from the grid.  They weren't self sufficient without Ft Calhoun.  That was at least some of the logic behind their last rate increase.  Increased cost of power due to having to purchase.

The reality is that there's a fixed cost to maintaining Ft Calhoun, whether running or not.  Might as well get the upside of the power output.  Only way costs would go down at that site is with a full decomissioning...

ricko
Human Relations
Posts: 794
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 pm

Postby ricko » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:19 am

jessep28 wrote:
S33 wrote:That is surprising. After the story about that plant's so-called "negligence" went national, I thought for sure it was going to be dismantled and turned into a giant brick of concrete.


The hippies who think that we can completely rely on solar and wind power were hoping that would happen. They didn't get their wish. Now that Excelon is in a 20  year contract to run the plant, hopefully it will stay off of regulator's radar.
Oil, gas, and nuclear will be with us for decades to come, but recent developments/improvements in alternative sources of power have made them close to competitive with traditional sources. I think the long term goal will see us moving toward decentralization----i.e., homes and businesses generating their own power.  The traditional grid system is very vulnerable (I'm sure most of you remember the 2003 power failure that paralyzed the East coast).  At the end of the day, it looks like the hippies will win.

bbinks
Human Relations
Posts: 685
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:10 pm

Postby bbinks » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:23 pm

Let's wait to see if rates go down.   I will not be holding my breath to see if that happens.

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1905
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Postby bigredmed » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:55 pm

ricko wrote:
jessep28 wrote:
S33 wrote:That is surprising. After the story about that plant's so-called "negligence" went national, I thought for sure it was going to be dismantled and turned into a giant brick of concrete.


The hippies who think that we can completely rely on solar and wind power were hoping that would happen. They didn't get their wish. Now that Excelon is in a 20  year contract to run the plant, hopefully it will stay off of regulator's radar.
Oil, gas, and nuclear will be with us for decades to come, but recent developments/improvements in alternative sources of power have made them close to competitive with traditional sources. I think the long term goal will see us moving toward decentralization----i.e., homes and businesses generating their own power.  The traditional grid system is very vulnerable (I'm sure most of you remember the 2003 power failure that paralyzed the East coast).  At the end of the day, it looks like the hippies will win.


Hippies Schmippies!

Tesla v Edison Redux

AC is great for motors, furnaces, and other things that suck watts.  DC is great for electronics.  Ever look around your house and think about how much 120V AC is being crunched into 6 V DC and a bunch of heat?   What would be cool is to see an engineering project of using solar and small scale wind to charge an array of deep cycle marine batteries via an off the shelf solar controller (plans are on line and the components are largely at Radio Shack or otherwise commercially available).

Run AC to the house for the motors, but use the DC flow for the electronics, thus bypassing need for power supplies that waste so much of the electricity we consume.

I am not an EE, so I don't know all the calculations, but I would be inclined to use my 5 watt solar panel and get a marine battery and controller to do some small scale experiments if anyone is interested.

Dundeemaha
Library Board
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:41 am
Location: Country Club

Postby Dundeemaha » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:17 pm

Wind power is already within 5.5% of the cost of electricity from coal and more economical than "clean" coal plants. Without the associated risk of rising coal costs. Source

A large amount of the cost of nuclear is the capital costs in building the plant. An already built plant is one of the greenest, most cost effective power solutions available.

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20818
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re:

Postby Coyote » Thu May 12, 2016 11:19 am

nebugeater wrote:
bbinks wrote:I do not see the need to reopen this plant.   This summer was the highest demand for OPPD, and the other plants kept up just fine.


Do we know that they were not buying a sizable Amount of power from the grid?   Wouldn't this be a lower cost generatining option?  Don't know the answered but these are just two questions that come to mind for me before saying it is not needed.


OPPD will be voting whether to shut this down by the end of the year...
Image

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6158
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: Re:

Postby nebugeater » Thu May 12, 2016 11:27 am

Coyote wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
bbinks wrote:I do not see the need to reopen this plant.   This summer was the highest demand for OPPD, and the other plants kept up just fine.


Do we know that they were not buying a sizable Amount of power from the grid?   Wouldn't this be a lower cost generatining option?  Don't know the answered but these are just two questions that come to mind for me before saying it is not needed.


OPPD will be voting whether to shut this down by the end of the year...


I saw that come across the news feed too. I am betting the vote is a formality and the decision to close it down is already made.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations
Posts: 833
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:10 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Fort Calhoun Power plant

Postby GRANDPASMUCKER » Sat May 14, 2016 5:24 am

People in high places at OPPD need to be fired but we know that won't happen. What was the point of gearing the Fort Calhoun station back up again just to shut it down. How many hundreds of millions were wasted? We are to believe they just now realized that reopening the plant was a bad idea? Oh and hey someone slap me for having the audacity to think, but what happens 5 years down the road from now when there is a shortage of electricity on the grid and we have to pay a much higher price for it. At that time you can just here it now that suddenly OPPD has to build a new power plant so we can be secure and provide our own electricity again. And the beat goes on. :x

choke
Human Relations
Posts: 679
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:46 am
Location: North Omaha

Re: Fort Calhoun Power plant

Postby choke » Sat May 14, 2016 7:59 am

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:People in high places at OPPD need to be fired but we know that won't happen. What was the point of gearing the Fort Calhoun station back up again just to shut it down. How many hundreds of millions were wasted? We are to believe they just now realized that reopening the plant was a bad idea? Oh and hey someone slap me for having the audacity to think, but what happens 5 years down the road from now when there is a shortage of electricity on the grid and we have to pay a much higher price for it. At that time you can just here it now that suddenly OPPD has to build a new power plant so we can be secure and provide our own electricity again. And the beat goes on. :x


You start to wonder if a publicly owned utility makes sense anymore. Perhaps OPPD should be sold to a private company who knows what they are doing. There is no doubt by being publicly owned, OPPD is not saving us any money; if anything they are costing us more.

daveoma
Human Relations
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:18 pm

Re: Fort Calhoun Power plant

Postby daveoma » Sat May 14, 2016 10:53 pm

choke wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:People in high places at OPPD need to be fired but we know that won't happen. What was the point of gearing the Fort Calhoun station back up again just to shut it down. How many hundreds of millions were wasted? We are to believe they just now realized that reopening the plant was a bad idea? Oh and hey someone slap me for having the audacity to think, but what happens 5 years down the road from now when there is a shortage of electricity on the grid and we have to pay a much higher price for it. At that time you can just here it now that suddenly OPPD has to build a new power plant so we can be secure and provide our own electricity again. And the beat goes on. :x



You start to wonder if a publicly owned utility makes sense anymore. Perhaps OPPD should be sold to a private company who knows what they are doing. There is no doubt by being publicly owned, OPPD is not saving us any money; if anything they are costing us more.


Didn't they say part of the reason they're closing the plant is because it's too expensive? All the while, wind power is now just as cheap as coal. It seems to me that switching to wind is a win for people who want cheap energy without the carbon output and risk of radioactive fallout.

choke
Human Relations
Posts: 679
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:46 am
Location: North Omaha

Re: Fort Calhoun Power plant

Postby choke » Sun May 15, 2016 8:25 am

daveoma wrote:
choke wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:People in high places at OPPD need to be fired but we know that won't happen. What was the point of gearing the Fort Calhoun station back up again just to shut it down. How many hundreds of millions were wasted? We are to believe they just now realized that reopening the plant was a bad idea? Oh and hey someone slap me for having the audacity to think, but what happens 5 years down the road from now when there is a shortage of electricity on the grid and we have to pay a much higher price for it. At that time you can just here it now that suddenly OPPD has to build a new power plant so we can be secure and provide our own electricity again. And the beat goes on. :x



You start to wonder if a publicly owned utility makes sense anymore. Perhaps OPPD should be sold to a private company who knows what they are doing. There is no doubt by being publicly owned, OPPD is not saving us any money; if anything they are costing us more.


Didn't they say part of the reason they're closing the plant is because it's too expensive? All the while, wind power is now just as cheap as coal. It seems to me that switching to wind is a win for people who want cheap energy without the carbon output and risk of radioactive fallout.


That sounds about right, plus natural gas. My issue is that OPPD spent about $200 million to get the plant back online after the flood. Surely, the signs of the nuclear plant costing more to operate than what it was returning had to be visible at the time of the flooding. Why not just shut it down then instead of wasting $200 million?

User avatar
Omababe
Planning Board
Posts: 2192
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:47 am
Contact:

Re: Fort Calhoun Power plant

Postby Omababe » Sun May 15, 2016 12:12 pm

choke wrote:Why not just shut it down then instead of wasting $200 million?


Indecisive management and a chaotic management style. It happens in both public and private sectors.

Does anyone (else) remember back when the nuclear plants were first under construction that they (the ubiquitous "they") were predicting that nuclear power would be "too cheap to meter" and such?

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations
Posts: 833
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:10 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Fort Calhoun Power plant

Postby GRANDPASMUCKER » Sun May 15, 2016 12:58 pm

Omababe wrote:
choke wrote:Why not just shut it down then instead of wasting $200 million?


Indecisive management and a chaotic management style. It happens in both public and private sectors.

Does anyone (else) remember back when the nuclear plants were first under construction that they (the ubiquitous "they") were predicting that nuclear power would be "too cheap to meter" and such?



I remember watching the Fort Calhoun plant being built. Right before the plant went on line they had an open house one Sunday in 1972 or 73 and a big ad in the paper inviting all of people could walk around all over inside the plant and check it out. I was only 12 but I remember being disappointed when I found out that they only used the nuclear reaction to heat the steam which then turned the turbines to make electricity. I had figured that they somehow had a way to stick a wire in the middle of the nuclear reaction and suck out all that energy that way. I am no engineer but I think using nuclear energy to heat steam to spin the turbines is Flintstonian. Surely after all these years you would think they could of thought of a more efficient way of tapping into nuclear fusion then from heating steam.

daveoma
Human Relations
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:18 pm

Re: Fort Calhoun Power plant

Postby daveoma » Sun May 15, 2016 1:19 pm

choke wrote:
daveoma wrote:
choke wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:People in high places at OPPD need to be fired but we know that won't happen. What was the point of gearing the Fort Calhoun station back up again just to shut it down. How many hundreds of millions were wasted? We are to believe they just now realized that reopening the plant was a bad idea? Oh and hey someone slap me for having the audacity to think, but what happens 5 years down the road from now when there is a shortage of electricity on the grid and we have to pay a much higher price for it. At that time you can just here it now that suddenly OPPD has to build a new power plant so we can be secure and provide our own electricity again. And the beat goes on. :x



You start to wonder if a publicly owned utility makes sense anymore. Perhaps OPPD should be sold to a private company who knows what they are doing. There is no doubt by being publicly owned, OPPD is not saving us any money; if anything they are costing us more.


Didn't they say part of the reason they're closing the plant is because it's too expensive? All the while, wind power is now just as cheap as coal. It seems to me that switching to wind is a win for people who want cheap energy without the carbon output and risk of radioactive fallout.


That sounds about right, plus natural gas. My issue is that OPPD spent about $200 million to get the plant back online after the flood. Surely, the signs of the nuclear plant costing more to operate than what it was returning had to be visible at the time of the flooding. Why not just shut it down then instead of wasting $200 million?

Sounds like there was some serious lack of foresight with how the direction of the energy industry would be going.

User avatar
PotatoeEatsFish
Library Board
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:59 pm

Re: Fort Calhoun Power plant

Postby PotatoeEatsFish » Sun May 15, 2016 10:21 pm

This is going to suck for Blair.
First we lost Dana now this.

Honestly I kind of expected it though. They pay people who work at the plant a ton. Most make over 60,000 per year.
I got that Milf $

User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2382
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Fort Calhoun Power plant

Postby jessep28 » Sun May 15, 2016 10:44 pm

A friend of mine who works there just built a nice house North of the metro area a couple years ago. They've been posting a lot of pro nuclear power stuff on social media over the past few days.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

Jason4225
Home Owners Association
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:20 pm
Location: Rockbrook

Re: Fort Calhoun Power plant

Postby Jason4225 » Mon May 16, 2016 6:39 am

Fort Calhoun has obviously had it's problems over the years. Unfortunately for the employees and for Blair, it is just not cost effective to keep it operational. It costs OPPD around $50-$70 per megawatt hour to run Fort Calhoun while coal plants are typically $17/MWh and with the tax subsidies wind comes in around $1/MWh. With energy demand being as low as it has been, prices have been hovering around $20/MWh for a while now. With MidAmerican Energy producing such a large amount of wind energy in Iowa, they are able to flood the market with cheap power which puts many utilities in a tough economic position. Unfortunately nuclear doesn't fall into the clean energy category.

User avatar
thenewguy
Planning Board
Posts: 2876
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Council Bluffs

Re: Fort Calhoun Power plant

Postby thenewguy » Wed May 18, 2016 2:20 pm

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
Omababe wrote:
choke wrote:Why not just shut it down then instead of wasting $200 million?


Indecisive management and a chaotic management style. It happens in both public and private sectors.

Does anyone (else) remember back when the nuclear plants were first under construction that they (the ubiquitous "they") were predicting that nuclear power would be "too cheap to meter" and such?




I remember watching the Fort Calhoun plant being built. Right before the plant went on line they had an open house one Sunday in 1972 or 73 and a big ad in the paper inviting all of people could walk around all over inside the plant and check it out. I was only 12 but I remember being disappointed when I found out that they only used the nuclear reaction to heat the steam which then turned the turbines to make electricity. I had figured that they somehow had a way to stick a wire in the middle of the nuclear reaction and suck out all that energy that way. I am no engineer but I think using nuclear energy to heat steam to spin the turbines is Flintstonian. Surely after all these years you would think they could of thought of a more efficient way of tapping into nuclear fusion then from heating steam.


Not to split hairs, but they have not yet harnessed fusion technology. In this instance, it is a fission reaction that produces the power to spin the turbines. Fusion creates a much larger bang for the buck by comparison, therefore making it more difficult to bring it to fruition. I am not a pyhsicist, but if there was a more effective way of generating nuclear energy, we would likely have seen it. That's why there is such a push for wind right now. It's safe, cheap, clean, and effective.
Go Cubs Go

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20818
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Fort Calhoun Power plant

Postby Coyote » Sat May 21, 2016 7:58 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (64.91 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
Image

daveoma
Human Relations
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:18 pm

Re: Fort Calhoun Power plant

Postby daveoma » Sat May 21, 2016 11:32 pm

:lol:

User avatar
RockHarbor
Human Relations
Posts: 879
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:42 am
Location: Omaha

Re: Fort Calhoun Power plant

Postby RockHarbor » Mon May 23, 2016 12:23 am

Does this mean all the stupid jokes will stop?
"Crossroads Village" down the street from "Aksarben Village?" Does "Crossroads" have any meaning to people 20 and under? "Dodge At 72nd" is a type name I like better, drawing from the excitement of the iconic, special Omaha intersection. My $.02.

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations
Posts: 833
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:10 pm
Location: Omaha

Re: Fort Calhoun Power plant

Postby GRANDPASMUCKER » Sun May 29, 2016 12:17 pm

According to the above the fold front page article in todays Sunday paper OPPD wasted over 400 million dollars getting the Fort Calhoun Plant running even though all the signs pointed to the fact that it was a bad idea. Nobody is going to be held accountable or fired. One can only conclude by the end of the article that we have been screwed over by the exact same entity that we created to protect us. OPPD was supposed to protect us from greedy businesses but whoever said OPPD was not a business is mistaken. The big shots and managers at OPPD are not protecting us but instead running a good ole boys club designed to funnel money into their own pockets irregardless if they do a good job or a lousy job. We don't need OPPD to protect us anymore. We can't afford their protection. We need to figure out how to make OPPD go away.

choke
Human Relations
Posts: 679
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:46 am
Location: North Omaha

Re: Fort Calhoun Power plant

Postby choke » Sun May 29, 2016 12:42 pm

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:According to the above the fold front page article in todays Sunday paper OPPD wasted over 400 million dollars getting the Fort Calhoun Plant running even though all the signs pointed to the fact that it was a bad idea. Nobody is going to be held accountable or fired. One can only conclude by the end of the article that we have been screwed over by the exact same entity that we created to protect us. OPPD was supposed to protect us from greedy businesses but whoever said OPPD was not a business is mistaken. The big shots and managers at OPPD are not protecting us but instead running a good ole boys club designed to funnel money into their own pockets irregardless if they do a good job or a lousy job. We don't need OPPD to protect us anymore. We can't afford their protection. We need to figure out how to make OPPD go away.


I know that the Cooper station produces a little more energy, but why is Cooper viable energy for NPPD and Fort Calhoun a liability for OPPD? And why did OPPD need to bring in a Chicago firm to run Fort Calhoun? Cooper is solely ran by NPPD.

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20818
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Fort Calhoun Power plant

Postby Coyote » Sun May 29, 2016 12:50 pm

As natural gas prices plummeted, OPPD leaders clung to expensive, inefficient Fort Calhoun

Cole Epley and Russell Hubbard / World-Herald staff writers wrote:Now, OPPD executives say the coming of cheap natural gas — what it calls a nail in the coffin of expensive and small nuclear plants such as Fort Calhoun — was tough to forecast back at the time. Yet signs were flashing all over the place that natural gas was falling and would keep doing so:

(Dollars per million Btu)

7/3/08: $13.58
4/9/11: $4.04 (Fort Calhoun shuts for refueling)
5/12/16: $2.16 (OPPD says Calhoun should shut down)
Image

User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2382
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Fort Calhoun Power plant

Postby jessep28 » Sun May 29, 2016 4:46 pm

choke wrote:
I know that the Cooper station produces a little more energy, but why is Cooper viable energy for NPPD and Fort Calhoun a liability for OPPD? And why did OPPD need to bring in a Chicago firm to run Fort Calhoun? Cooper is solely ran by NPPD.


Cooper is a larger plant. It's over 50% bigger than Fort Calhoun in terms of generating capacity. They can spread out fixed costs better.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

daveoma
Human Relations
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:18 pm

Re: Fort Calhoun Power plant

Postby daveoma » Sun May 29, 2016 5:54 pm

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:According to the above the fold front page article in todays Sunday paper OPPD wasted over 400 million dollars getting the Fort Calhoun Plant running even though all the signs pointed to the fact that it was a bad idea. Nobody is going to be held accountable or fired. One can only conclude by the end of the article that we have been screwed over by the exact same entity that we created to protect us. OPPD was supposed to protect us from greedy businesses but whoever said OPPD was not a business is mistaken. The big shots and managers at OPPD are not protecting us but instead running a good ole boys club designed to funnel money into their own pockets irregardless if they do a good job or a lousy job. We don't need OPPD to protect us anymore. We can't afford their protection. We need to figure out how to make OPPD go away.


It's a public utility so they can be voted out of office, right?

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20818
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: Fort Calhoun Power plant

Postby Coyote » Sun May 29, 2016 6:02 pm

Didn't Mort Sullivan run for OPPD?
Image

User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2382
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Fort Calhoun Power plant

Postby jessep28 » Sun May 29, 2016 6:40 pm

Coyote wrote:Didn't Mort Sullivan run for OPPD?


That was a few years ago: http://web.archive.org/web/201112310533 ... livan.com/

I didn't see him running for anything on the 2016 primary ballot. Maybe he decided to take this election year off and go fishing:

Image
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

Dark Eyes
Home Owners Association
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Omaha, NE

Re: Fort Calhoun Power plant

Postby Dark Eyes » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:39 pm

Usually when a business eliminaties hundreds of good-paying jobs, there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth by public officials. (Case in point: ConAgra)

The closure of Fort Calhoun has prompted nothing but silence from the Omaha Mayor, Omaha City Council, and Omaha Chamber of Commerce. Why?

They should care. Many (if not most) of the soon-to-be-unemployed live in the Omaha metro. Many could end up moving away.

User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2382
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: Fort Calhoun Power plant

Postby jessep28 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:06 pm

Dark Eyes wrote:Usually when a business eliminaties hundreds of good-paying jobs, there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth by public officials. (Case in point: ConAgra)

The closure of Fort Calhoun has prompted nothing but silence from the Omaha Mayor, Omaha City Council, and Omaha Chamber of Commerce. Why?

They should care. Many (if not most) of the soon-to-be-unemployed live in the Omaha metro. Many could end up moving away.


It's not Omaha's problem. The plant isn't in Omaha, or even in the same county. The closing is more of an issue for Blair, Fort Calhoun and Washington County.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum


Return to “News and Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests