Peyton Manning - "Omaha"

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Re: Peyton Manning - "Omaha"

Post by Bosco55David »

bigredmed wrote:It was a fluke that he used Omaha and it will be a different word next season.
It wasn't, and it won't.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This is a Denver/Packer/Chiefs city. A little Vikings and Steelers thrown in there.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Try the Dallas Cowboys...

almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I think Lou is spiking the results!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Kelly: 'Omaha! Omaha!' Peyton Manning to pay visit in May

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140222/NEWS/140229552" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Michael Kelly / World-Herald columnist wrote: Peyton Manning, whose line-of-scrimmage calls of “Omaha! Omaha!” caused a national buzz, will pay a call on Omaha.

The Denver Broncos quarterback will be the featured speaker at the 60th annual B'nai B'rith charity sports banquet on May 15 at the CenturyLink Center downtown.

“We wanted somebody really big,” said Howard Shandell, the banquet chairman. “When Peyton implemented Omaha into his play-calling, it seemed to take on a life of its own. He is a great football player and a great guy.”
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Still talking about it...an article from today:

Eli Manning Thinks Peyton Stole 'Omaha' From Him
"I think he stole it. It's a word we've used a lot. I think it means a similar thing there in Denver. It's okay we're always trying to help each other out. I've taken some plays and some tips from Peyton over the years," Eli told HuffPost Live's Marc Lamont Hill on Wednesday.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Eli finally reveals what the call means:
http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/ar ... 606f88d540
“So Omaha was in the playbook,” Eli explained, sitting onstage at the special event for season-ticket holders with wide receiver Victor Cruz, linebacker Jon Beason, former Giants offensive lineman David Diehl and host Bob Papa.

“There was actually a sheet that said ‘Omaha’ at the top, and basically ‘Omaha’ was maybe we change the play, or maybe when I was changing protection, or Diehl had to tie his shoe or something and was taking forever and the play clock’s running down. And ‘Omaha’ just told everybody to put their hand in the ground, shut up, and the ball’s about to be snapped.

“So I would say ‘Omaha’ and I would say it again and then say ‘set hut’ and do whatever you think you need to be doing and let’s go play football.”
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

HR Paperstacks wrote:Eli finally reveals what the call means:
http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/ar ... 606f88d540
“So Omaha was in the playbook,” Eli explained, sitting onstage at the special event for season-ticket holders with wide receiver Victor Cruz, linebacker Jon Beason, former Giants offensive lineman David Diehl and host Bob Papa.

“There was actually a sheet that said ‘Omaha’ at the top, and basically ‘Omaha’ was maybe we change the play, or maybe when I was changing protection, or Diehl had to tie his shoe or something and was taking forever and the play clock’s running down. And ‘Omaha’ just told everybody to put their hand in the ground, shut up, and the ball’s about to be snapped.

“So I would say ‘Omaha’ and I would say it again and then say ‘set hut’ and do whatever you think you need to be doing and let’s go play football.”
That's not the way it works in Denver. Eli is taking his understanding from the Giants offense, which during the Kevin Gilbride years was a sort of variant of the Erhardt-Perkins offense that is the base system also used by teams such as the New England Patriots. I have Patriots playbooks going back to the early 2000s (before Eli was even drafted) showing this same description of the Omaha call.

That said, while the Broncos ran their own variant of the Erhardt-Perkins offense (Manning's offensive coordinators in Denver prior to this year were Mike McCoy and Adam Gase, both of which worked under Josh McDaniels who brought that system over from his days as the offensive coordinator in New England) it is quite clear from watching the offense that the Omaha call has been changed to mean something. Also, if that was the actual meaning, Eli would have never revealed it.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Peyton Manning ends retirement speech with one final 'Omaha!'
Among the many things Peyton Manning will be remembered for — his record 539 touchdowns and 71,940 passing yards, his two Super Bowls, and the ever-present purple mark on his forehead from his helmet — his mysterious signature pre-snap call "Omaha!" is something you don't yet realize you'll miss next season. At the end of his emotional retirement press conference Monday, Manning walked away from the podium only after delivering one final "Omaha" for good measure.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

@NFL wrote:The final word from Peyton Manning's retirement press conference?

Of course.
OMAHA!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

The president got in on some "Omaha! Omaha!" calls:

'Omaha! Omaha!' Obama yells in honoring Super Bowl champs Broncos, Peyton Manning at White House
Michael Kelly / World-Herald staff writer wrote:In honoring the Super Bowl champion Denver Broncos at the White House on Monday, President Barack Obama barked a starting count a la Peyton Manning: “Omaha! Omaha!”
“I don’t know,” the president quipped, “it doesn’t seem to work as well for me.”
zippy
Home Owners Association

Post by zippy »

Just returned from LA on Southwest's new nonstop. The flight attendant started her spiel with "Omaha! Omaha!"
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Peyton Manning finally reveals what ‘Omaha’ meant
Harry Lyles Jr. of SB Nation wrote:"Omaha was just a indicator word,” Manning said to the crowd. “It was a trigger word that meant we had changed the play, there was low time on the clock, and that ball needed to be snapped right now to kind of let my offensive lineman know that ‘Hey, we'd gone to Plan B, there's low time on the clock.’ It's a rhythmic three-syllable word, ‘O-ma-ha, set hut.’”

The city loves him, too. “I’m a big deal in Omaha, Nebraska, now. I went there a couple of years ago, I got a key to the city.”

“I always got Omaha if I need a place to live,” Manning said.

Perhaps he should have been yelling out a more luxurious town to retire in, if that’s the case.