WOWT "Pros"

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

WOWT "Pros"

Post by NovakOmaha »

Holy |expletive|! I'm watching the live stream of WOWT during the storm. The weather guy is standing there reading his twitter feed on his iphone. I guess its Mallory Maddox showing us pretty pictures sent to the WOWT facebook page.

This is pathetic. Where is Les Nessman when you need him?
Omababe
Planning Board

Re: WOWT "Pros"

Post by Omababe »

NovakOmaha wrote:Holy |expletive|!  I'm watching the live stream of WOWT during the storm.  The weather guy is standing there reading his twitter feed on his iphone.  I guess its Mallory Maddox showing us pretty pictures sent to the WOWT facebook page.
This is one reason I seldom watch news on WOWT anymore. Passing such things as facebook comments off as news is getting very bad! If you're gonna do a "rip n read" at least do it from the wire!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Omababe wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:Holy |expletive|!  I'm watching the live stream of WOWT during the storm.  The weather guy is standing there reading his twitter feed on his iphone.  I guess its Mallory Maddox showing us pretty pictures sent to the WOWT facebook page.
This is one reason I seldom watch news on WOWT anymore. Passing such things as facebook comments off as news is getting very bad! If you're gonna do a "rip n read" at least do it from the wire!
Annnddd this is what you can get when you pass facebook comments off as news...

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/omaha- ... 1574954671
Violent storms hit Nebraska Sunday, leaving 20,000 without power in Omaha alone. NBC affiliate WOWT invited viewers to submit storm photos to its Facebook page, and the station aired several of them during live coverage last night. One of them was, uh, really weird.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Good Gawd!

Really gives a good impression of Omaha, huh?

I still think that WOWT does this (facebook comments as news) simply to save $$$$$. For every minute they fill reading stuff off of the net, they don't have to pay someone to produce and write true content.

Does ANY other station do this? I travel semi frequently and often watch local news in other markets. I can attest that recently in El-Lay, Las Vegas, St. Louis, and Chicago, I have not seen anything like it.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Omababe wrote:
Good Gawd!

Really gives a good impression of Omaha, huh?

I still think that WOWT does this (facebook comments as news) simply to save $$$$$. For every minute they fill reading stuff off of the net, they don't have to pay someone to produce and write true content.

Does ANY other station do this? I travel semi frequently and often watch local news in other markets. I can attest that recently in El-Lay, Las Vegas, St. Louis, and Chicago, I have not seen anything like it.
In Detroit they do a thing once a week one the 6AM cast where they have the Facebook Friend of the Day. It takes about 2 minutes. Watching and listening to WOWT was absolutely painful. Of course its to save money. They clearly aren't spending it on remotes or staff. As I said I especially enjoyed the two or three minutes of complete silence on WOWT last night. No one could get in the earpiece of any of the on air staff & yell "SAY SOMETHING!".
Pathetic
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

That is absolutely ridiculous. I always hate how they scroll through the facebook posts and tell you what everyone on twitter is writing about. I don't think they know the difference between news and gossip.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Last evening, Neal Obermeyer pointed out the calamity at channel 6 even before the fat guy and his naked girlfriend went on the air.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Hey, channel 6! Hold a bake sale and raise some green to pay to fix the citycam at 84th & dodge. It's been out for months. Maybe knicely can pad up & go with the fixit guys.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

I recall once that Flowers said low chance of rain. Outside my window... monsoon.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Looks like channel 6 has shaken up their weather team again. Only three people listed on their web site, Rusty Lord, Mike LaPoint and The new guy, Brad Sugden. I have no idea what happened to the others.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

nativeomahan wrote:Looks like channel 6 has shaken up their weather team again.  Only three people listed on their web site, Rusty Lord, Mike LaPoint and The new guy, Brad Sugden.  I have no idea what happened to the others.
You may not know what happend to the other but you still one up me. I don,t even know who the others are
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Greg Armbrecht has moved to Charlotte. Not sure about Cheryl Lemke.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

nativeomahan wrote:Greg Armbrecht has moved to Charlotte.  Not sure about Cheryl Lemke.
Hopefully Cheryl Lemke is gone, she was horrible. I couldn't believe she was on the news in a city of Omaha's size.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Cheryl worked at the Weather Channel for many years. She is a native Omahan.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

WOWT wrote:WOWT FAMILY. After more than 13 ½ years on the 6 News anchor desk, our Malorie Maddox is turning a new page in her career. Malorie has never been just an anchor. Storytelling was always her passion. She has reported on thousands of stories. But beyond the desk, she spent her career volunteering at hundreds of events in the community. She gave up weekends to emcee and speak at non-profit events and sat on community boards. But for all of us who know her, we know the most important part of Malorie’s life is her family. She has accepted a new job at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Nebraska as Vice President of Communications. This will allow her to be home with her husband Greg and her son Moss at night. Malorie’s last night on the desk will be next Thursday at 10. Please help us say thank you to Malorie. She always recognized it was never about her story, but always about yours.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

I knew it! She hasn't looked like she wanted to be behind the desk for months.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

That is sad, I thought she did a pretty decent job. Now the only long time anchor left is John Nicely.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Voice too whiny for broadcast news.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Stargazer wrote:Voice too whiny for broadcast news.
Not to pick on her personally . . . Maybe it was more a problem with my ears, but I just couldn't listen to her voice. Anything I have ever heard about her though pointed to her being a real nice person. Which, of course, is way more important.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

But WOWT just rolled out that commercial where she is walking down the street all serious and stuff.
SoPo
New to the Neighborhood

Post by SoPo »

Who’s most likely to succeed Maddox? I hope they bring some professionalism from outside.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

With two other Grey Media stations in Nebraska, they could easily ship someone in from Lincoln or Grand Island.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Emily Szink deserves better than Channel Third, and she does have business interests in Omaha and might not want to leave town...
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

skinzfan23 wrote:That is sad, I thought she did a pretty decent job. Now the only long time anchor left is John Nicely.
I'm surprised they renew his contract. One of the "reasons" for getting rid of Jim Flowers was his alleged pay. If that were the case, you'd think Knicely would be on the costs to much list as well.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

I miss the Omaha news blog that used to slam Sux news and Maltard Maddox. Some fun times indeed.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

guy4omaha wrote:
Stargazer wrote:Voice too whiny for broadcast news.
Maybe it was more a problem with my ears, but I just couldn't listen to her voice.
She just could not seem to shake the twang!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

WOWT has a new lineup starting an a couple weeks.

4:00 Local News
4:30 Local News
5:00 Local News
5:30 National News
6:00 Jeopardy
6:30 Local News
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

For the very first time in my long but sometimes foggy memory, Channel 6 is abandoning their 6 pm newscast during the workweek.
WOW(t)!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Brad wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:13 pm WOWT has a new lineup starting an a couple weeks.

4:00 Local News
4:30 Local News
5:00 Local News
5:30 National News
6:00 Jeopardy
6:30 Local News
2 hours of local news! How many times can you repeat the same story? It sure why the early 4 and 4:30 shows as most people aren’t home at that time Fromm their jobs. I know kmtv does the same early start
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Uffda wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:57 am

2 hours of local news! How many times can you repeat the same story? It sure why the early 4 and 4:30 shows as most people aren’t home at that time Fromm their jobs. I know kmtv does the same early start
Doesn't matter. If you use syndicated programming during those half hours, you get maybe two minutes local time to sell. A news show, the revenue is all yours.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Candleshoe wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:43 am
Uffda wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:57 am

Doesn't matter. If you use syndicated programming during those half hours, you get maybe two minutes local time to sell. A news show, the revenue is all yours.
Frankly, the money may be the driver, but the utility of the later newscast is appealing. Especially if it is written to be up to date for that time and not a rehash of the last show or a half hour of "expanded focus reporting" that turns a two minute story into a 10 minute story that really could have stayed a two minute story. We rarely get home in time to catch the news. I don't miss the network propaganda dump, but the local weather is useful.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Just looked up KMTV schedule ---

4:00-5:00 -- 3 News Upfront @ 4
5:00-5:30 -- 3 News Now Live @ 5
5:30-6:00 -- CBS News
6:00-6:30 -- 3 News Now Live @ 6

So the same news repeated three times over 2.5 hrs unless there is 'Breaking' news :lol:
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Uffda wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:01 pm So the same news repeated three times over 2.5 hrs unless there is 'Breaking' news :lol:
I'm sure that there will be plenty of fluff and filler, like reading facebook comments and such.

I find it ironic that the station that produces the poorest local news production (in my not so humble opinion, of course) is doing such a massive expansion.

It looks like they have some new, possibly intern "talent" as well. Last night just before SNL there was a young lady whose voice and delivery style were awful. At first I thought I had mistakenly tuned in to one of those "kids news" segment, as the voice sounded somewhat juvenile, and as I listened more she sounded more cartoonish, almost like Southpark. She NEEDS some voice coaching! I finally just turned it off, which I seldom do during news. :( Poor kid!
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Much like the Omaha World Herald, the quality of the news coverage put out by the local TV stations is a joke compared to what it once was. I have seen many stupid mistakes and bloopers from all the TV news stations just in the past week. Just like the paper this will only get worse I predict.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

The word “Pros” and WOWT should not be used in the same sentence...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Omababe wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:16 am It looks like they have some new, possibly intern "talent" as well. Last night just before SNL there was a young lady whose voice and delivery style were awful. At first I thought I had mistakenly tuned in to one of those "kids news" segment, as the voice sounded somewhat juvenile, and as I listened more she sounded more cartoonish, almost like Southpark. She NEEDS some voice coaching! I finally just turned it off, which I seldom do during news. :( Poor kid!
It can't be Rachel Urbanski, couldn't it? I think she shows promise,

If you feel the need to slit your wrists someday, turn to 6's weekend morning news. Anastasia Champ reads and recites with absolutely no inflection changes, barely stopping for breath, and doesn't believe in vocal semicolons or periods.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

If you get a chance, go to clickondetroit.com and watch channel 4 NBC Detroit. So it isn't new York or Los Angeles but the difference between channel 4 here and Omaha stations is glaring and seriously embarassing.

I noticed the difference within 20 minutes of arriving here.

Ownership of channel 6 SHOULD be ashamed but isn't as they are milking the station for every penny.

You know it's sad when channel 4's weekend fill in anchor is better than 6's weeknight talent...
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

WOWT hasn’t been “Pro” since the year Gary Kerr retired in 1999.. Their quality has, incrementally, decreased every year since...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

It can't be Rachel Urbanski, couldn't it? I think she shows promise,
I have no clue. And no, I'm not gonna carefully watch to see who it is/was. :) It was amateurish to the point of being annoying, even as filler while waiting for another program to come on. My guess was that it was a weekend newbee/intern.
I noticed the difference within 20 minutes of arriving here.

Ownership of channel 6 SHOULD be ashamed but isn't as they are milking the station for every penny.

You know it's sad when channel 4's weekend fill in anchor is better than 6's weeknight talent...
Yer preachin to the choir here! :) :)

Local news in most other markets, even some smaller ones, has far more professionalism and polish than you get here in Omaha!

In all fairness, KETV has been outpacing the others fairly consistently. They still have more inane filler than the annoyance threshold allows, and that endless-loop "7 Burlington Station" is starting to get old and tired, but they are now the most professional of the three. LOL, low bar, however. :)

One exception to the other market news was a few years ago when I found myself in Grand Junction for a few days. I was watching the local news and it was bad, and then I heard the give-away phrase "Web Channel" and realized it was a sister station of Big Six.
WOWT hasn’t been “Pro” since the year Gary Kerr retired in 1999.. Their quality has, incrementally, decreased every year since...
I remember him sortakinda. Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't he the one who semi-retired but came back to do one nightly show during the week? I remember him as pretty much the last of the old-school Omaha anchors. I always expected him to move on to a larger market but apparently he never did.