IC Swing Bridge could be removed...

Post by Brad »

Sad news about the old Swing Bridge...

DOCKET NO. AB-314 (SUB-NO. 7X)
CHICAGO, CENTRAL & PACIFIC RAILROAD
--ABANDONMENT EXEMPTION--
IN POTT A WA TT AMIE COUNTY, IOWA ~
AND DOUGLAS COUNTY, NEBRASKA

http://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.nsf/ ... 236225.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting language in the document...

"CC&P has retained the Missouri River Bridge as a strategic asset"

"For several years the U.S. Coast Guard has deemed the Missouri River Bridge a hazard to water navigation and has demanded that CC&P remove it under threat of penalty. "

"Because of the difficulties that CC&P may encounter with the Coast Guard in the event of inaction, CC&P is not considering retention of the Missouri River Bridge Line as a viable alternative to abandorunent and bridge removal"

And an interesting little tid bit from the city of Omaha:
"The City of Omaha Planning Department, however, has expressed concern that the subject abandonment could have an impact on long-term plans to improve connectivity between Downtown Omaha and the Omaha riverfront, and that removal of the bridge may limit future options for non-automobile transit. "
Louie
County Board

Re: IC Swing Bridge could be removed...

Post by Louie »

Is theis the one north of the marina? If so I'm curious how they think tearing it down will limit connecting ability to the riverfront. There isn't even a path up to it.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Louie wrote:Is theis the one north of the marina? If so I'm curious how they think tearing it down will limit connecting ability to the riverfront. There isn't even a path up to it.
Yes, The old Sand Piper Marina by the old Anchor Inn.

The tracks are still in place. They cross Abbott Drive just north of the old Hollywood Diner on the way to the airport and connect to that yard north of Abbott drive by 10th Street.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Brad wrote:
Louie wrote:Is theis the one north of the marina? If so I'm curious how they think tearing it down will limit connecting ability to the riverfront. There isn't even a path up to it.
Yes, The old Sand Piper Marina by the old Anchor Inn.

The tracks are still  in place.  They cross Abbott Drive just north of the old Hollywood Diner on the way to the airport and connect to that yard north of Abbott drive by 10th Street.
Ok, I see that now. So how does this affect riverfront connections when it's so far north?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I don't know that.

However the way the tracks are currently configured, if the bridge was operational, you could take a train from the Century Link Center to the Broadway Viaduct in CB on all existing rail.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

How could this be a hazard to river navigation? The bridge has been there for decades seemingly without issue. Why all the worry now?

I would hate to see this bridge go. It's a rather interesting relic there on the river and would prefer it be left alone unless it was recommissioned for actual use again.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bosco55David wrote:How could this be a hazard to river navigation? The bridge has been there for decades seemingly without issue. Why all the worry now?

I would hate to see this bridge go. It's a rather interesting relic there on the river and would prefer it be left alone unless it was recommissioned for actual use again.
I still haven't heard if or how many barges actually use the river anymore. The only barges I see are ones used to maintain the channel.

I do find it odd that there are no navigation light on the bridge.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Any updates on this?