Planning Board

Couple Not In My Backyard (NIMBY) stories

Post by jessep28 »

Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Brad
City Council

Re: Because it's funny

Post by Brad »

jessep28 wrote:A couple Not In My Backyard (NIMBY) stories published over the past 24 hours.

Valley Shores residents unhappy about incoming Dollar General
If people would do just a tiny little bit of Research before they built a house, they would know this is a possibility...

Valley Shores Plat, Lots 141, 143, and 144 Zoned Commercial:
https://douglasomaha.filebound.com/WebV ... Notes=null" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its right on the plat, which was done before the first road was paved, first lot sold, and long before the first house started...

Anyone can get a copy of the plat online, county engineer's office, and I believe it should be your closing paperwork from your title company.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Re: Couple Not In My Backyard (NIMBY) stories

Post by Seth »

You're being way too logical, Brad.

This reminds me of a common occurance where I grew up. Back in farm country in Illinois on the fringes of the Chicago suburbs, we were used to the subdivisions going up across from a cattle or hog farm. Shortly after moving in, the new residents woudl start complaining about the smell.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Brad, your website is password protected. Perhaps this is a factor in why they didn't do the research?

That said, I agree with the basic premise of who is first, wins. If the plan to build a dollar general was on the books before the houses, it wins.

Never quite got the rationale that says a gun range that has been in place and active for 20 years should have to close because some fool decided to build a house down range.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

bigredmed wrote:Brad, your website is password protected. Perhaps this is a factor in why they didn't do the research.
Yeah because that one website is the only resource in the world to find zoning maps.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Linkin5 wrote:
bigredmed wrote:Brad, your website is password protected. Perhaps this is a factor in why they didn't do the research.
Yeah because that one website is the only resource in the world to find zoning maps.
OK one time for the people who can't understand the world.

Some people have frequent need to use specialized search engines, they think finding detailed info on some narrow topic is easy because for them, it is.

For those who don't have access, the ability to get detailed block by block zoning data is beyond their ken.

So, it is not hard to see how the Douglas Co zoning map being behind a password protected website would block the uninitiated more than someone who used the site weekly.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I have used that website for close to a decade now and that password is new. It wasn't there when I posted that in March.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Apparently they were cool with the decaying horse track nearby when it existed over a decade ago?

http://www.ketv.com/news/new-uno-parkin ... s/33366216
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

"And your backyard has a fantastic view of a parking garage" said no residential real estate agent ever.

I can't blame them on this. I definitely would not want to buy one of those houses once this thing is built.

Greg
Last edited by Greg S on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Greg S wrote:"And your backyard has a fantastic view of a parking garage" said no residential real estate agent ever.

I can blame them on this. I definitely would not want to buy one of those houses once this thing is built.

Greg
Yep. I agree with UNO needing the space, but structures are really expensive and have limited life expectancies.

My thought is that UNO would be better off buying the houses that butt up against this and build landscaping to block views. Once built, they should sell the homes and eat the loss on the homes.