Cicadas

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Cicadas

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

With all the hype lately about how bad the cicadas are going to be this year I have to admit I was skeptical. They are not that loud yet here in Millard however I was out to Schramm St Park in Gretna today and the noise those cicadas were making was unbelievable. It was an absolute roar. Those critters mean business this year!
Brad
City Council

Re: Cicadas

Post by Brad »

My dad lives down by Plattsmouth and they are crawling all over everything down by his house!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

This evening I finally heard the Cicada serenade for the first time the year, kind of late for that...
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I also heard the serenade this evening for the first time (that I can remember at least) in 2016...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Don't they seem early this year? May be its because its been so warm lately.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:Don't they seem early this year? May be its because its been so warm lately.
I was thinking the same thing when I heard them last evening.. Usually, when I hear them most, it's around the beginning to mid August.. It seemed a bit out of place to hear them in late June...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Brad wrote:Don't they seem early this year? May be its because its been so warm lately.

I don't remember a time when Rosenblatt was around that they came this early. Coincidence? I think not.
No posts exist for this topic
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I think you are all just hearing fireworks
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

I've been mostly out of town this month but I recall being surprised to hear them at least a week, if not two weeks ago at my house by 72nd and Blondo. Summer isn't in full swing till after July 4th so they can go to sleep for a while longer!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I haven't noticed until tonight, but, they're back...
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Coyote wrote:I haven't noticed until tonight, but, they're back...
I noticed them about 7 to 10 days ago, not so much singing, but molting around my garden.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

The cat killed about 6 or 7 Cicadas in the last week. He ate about half of them too. It looks like those Cicadas are what he considers to be a pretty tasty bug.

The problem the past week was the Japanese Beetles. Thousands of them flew in. They attacked my broccoli plants Thursday like Pearl Harbor. I saw what they were doing and not liking pesticides I left them alone. By Friday the leaves on my once beautiful broccoli plants looked like someone had perforated them with a shotgun. By Saturday there were thousands of Japanese Beetles and my broccoli plants were gone and the beetles were starting to move on to all my plants. Being the good natured guy that I am I had let those beetles have their party for a few days but now they were just walking all over me. Then I went nuclear. I got out of the closet the super duper bug killer I had bought off the internet for 100 bucks. The carnage is quite ugly with thousands of dead beetle carcasses laying strewed around everywhere. "Now I have become death the destroyer of worlds."
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I too have had a huge problem with Japanese Beatles this year. They first started on my roses. I noticed them one day and two days later, they had destroyed a ton of the leaves. Next they went to my canna plants and then rhubarb and strawberries. I have now used the powder and killed almost all of them. Unfortunately, last night was round 3. I am noticing that they are thinning out a little so hopefully they will be gone soon.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Heard those Cicadas early last year (last week in June). Haven't heard any yet this summer..

I'll be paying closer attention now however :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Heard those Cicadas early last year (last week in June). Haven't heard any yet this summer..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Strong, is sound, in this one, tonight.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:Heard those Cicadas early last year (last week in June). Haven't heard any yet this summer..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Strong, is sound, in this one, tonight.
Indeed. I heard them very clearly this evening...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Maybe I'm late, but I just heard them for the first time this year.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Coyote wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:08 pm Maybe I'm late, but I just heard them for the first time this year.
I caught the end of Backyard Farmer on PBS yesterday, and they said the should be out in a few days. Saw a few on the bottom of our neighbors tree last week.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Padre wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:19 pm
Coyote wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:08 pm Maybe I'm late, but I just heard them for the first time this year.
I caught the end of Backyard Farmer on PBS yesterday, and they said the should be out in a few days. Saw a few on the bottom of our neighbors tree last week.
Actually, I’m pretty certain I caught their serenade this past weekend...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:37 pm
Padre wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:19 pm
Actually, I’m pretty certain I caught their serenade this past weekend...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Maybe you just heard the first wave. Not really sure, bugs were more my father's thing, he taught biology.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I have had my windows closed for the past few days due to the heat, only to open them up yesterday to hear the Cicadas for the first time this year. When did they start singing this year?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I heard them for the first time last week.. Around the 16th or 17th. Don’t remember hearing them before that...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

They are not as loud and as often for this late in the year, as far as Millard area.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I heard my first of the year today around 4pm in Aksarben.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Coyote wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:23 pm I heard my first of the year today around 4pm in Aksarben.
I had been wondering were they were at this year. What is the norm? I feel like the last several years they were around in early June. I haven't heard my first yet.

I've noticed mosquitos have also been pretty weak so far this year (thankfully). Haven't seen a June bug yet either. Japanese Beetles have been pretty thin compared to the last two years as well.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I believe the norm is early June. When I heard them today that was my first question. They were not loud nor numerous and only lasted a short while, unlike the fireworks in my neighborhood tonight. :roll:
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Anybody else notice a complete lack of mosquitos this summer, or am I just in a dead spot? I've noticed a lack of cicadas as well.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Busguy2010 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:55 am Anybody else notice a complete lack of mosquitos this summer, or am I just in a dead spot? I've noticed a lack of cicadas as well.
You are correct. The lightning bugs are few and far between as well. I have seen quite a few of the green Asian Beetles but not endless swarms of them like I did in the past 2 years.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:52 am
Busguy2010 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:55 am Anybody else notice a complete lack of mosquitos this summer, or am I just in a dead spot? I've noticed a lack of cicadas as well.
You are correct. The lightning bugs are few and far between as well. I have seen quite a few of the green Asian Beetles but not endless swarms of them like I did in the past 2 years.
While those insects have been less present based on my experience this year, I have been bitten quite a bit by horseflies (I think, that's what they are, they are giant black flies that bite). Never really had that issue before.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

I have a couple of Cicada Killer Wasps living in my backyard. I actually saw one up-close carrying a paralyzed cicada back to her burrow. Pretty cool. Looked like they were hugging each other. The wasps are very skittish and near harmless to humans.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:52 am You are correct. The lightning bugs are few and far between as well. I have seen quite a few of the green Asian Beetles but not endless swarms of them like I did in the past 2 years.
I have noticed a fair share of lightning bugs myself, but they are long gone by now. I'd say about a month ago they were fairly prominent in my neck of the woods. I agree on the Asian Beetles. They are here in my neighborhood, but they aren't super thick and decimating everything. Just barely munching on my plants so little I'm not even trying to control them.

I think I've been bitten by mosquitos a total of three times this summer, whereas in past years I'd pretty much have to use bug spray just to sit on the porch for a minute.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I have definitely noticed a lack of mosquitoes..at least I have not been on the menu as frequently this year (knock on wood)..

I do hear cicadas. I started hearing them around mid June.. Although since about mid July, I’ve also noticed a cicada killer wasp prowling the area around my residence, so perhaps that’s why the herd has thinned a bit since..

As far as lightening bugs, I saw a good number of them in July, especially around the 4th holiday. I have not noticed as many since. I have seen several dragonfly’s this summer.. Pretty cool to watch fly around...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Cermak
Parks & Recreation

Post by Cermak »

Japanese Beatles numbers do seem to be down. Last year we had way more. I wonder if the late freeze in mid April had anything to do with it ?.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Cermak wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:50 am Japanese Beatles numbers do seem to be down. Last year we had way more. I wonder if the late freeze in mid April had anything to do with it ?.
Or perhaps our colder than normal May..Much of May felt like March this year...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

For how quiet they've been this Summer, the Cicadas have really come on strong in the last week or so.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Busguy2010 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:24 am For how quiet they've been this Summer, the Cicadas have really come on strong in the last week or so.
My cat has been going outside and eating 1 or 2 of them every night for the past week. He tortures them for awhile before he eats them. A couple of nights ago he had one and it was clicking and buzzing bloody murder so loud it was echoing throughout the neighborhood. It would not have surprised me if a neighbor had come over and told me to make him stop.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I have noticed the cicadas the past few nights as well....love hearing the "summer" sounds.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

skinzfan23 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:51 pm I have noticed the cicadas the past few nights as well....love hearing the "summer" sounds.
They are vary loud and proud right now. They are a fact of life around here, but I'm not sure I share your love for them, as they are always associated with some of the hottest weather of the year. I wonder if the recent extreme heat finally prompted them to come out of hiding.
Furious_Rose
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Furious_Rose »

Oh my God! They sound terrifying. I've never seen one before but I have a real insect phobia, and now I am scared to death about moving to Omaha in a few weeks.
NUub
Library Board

Post by NUub »

Here's a primer: they are loud and hang out somewhere in trees, generally heard in evenings, almost always unseen, and are not aggressive at all. You really won't seen them flying around much either.