M's Pub Explosion and Fire

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Louie
County Board

Re: M's Pub Explosion and Fire

Post by Louie »

swgiust wrote: Second, M's should look at the old "O" building. They literally could clean it up and open. I'm sure the owners would love to sign a nice
3 year lease there.
That is a tough location, but M's would be a tenant that could actually pull it off!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Mr.Nuke wrote:
swgiust wrote:It is really sad but it would have been better for the old market if the building had come down. There would be a flat lot there right now. The old market would be "open" again. The owners of M's must really consider their neighbors as they move forward. .
Well the owners of M's aren't the owners of the building. M's was a tenant.
Right, and I'm sure the Mercer's are thinking in terms of what's best for the Old Market in the long run. It definitely would NOT be better if the building had come down. Either way, they'd still be looking at a lengthy process to get things back closer to normal. The City of Omaha should look real hard at what can be done to open the streets back up, as long as people are safe. Just cleaning-up the mess as much as possible will help.

Oh, and what/where is this old "O" building?
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

GetUrban wrote:
Mr.Nuke wrote:
swgiust wrote:It is really sad but it would have been better for the old market if the building had come down. There would be a flat lot there right now. The old market would be "open" again. The owners of M's must really consider their neighbors as they move forward. .
Well the owners of M's aren't the owners of the building. M's was a tenant.
Right, and I'm sure the Mercer's are thinking in terms of what's best for the Old Market in the long run. It definitely would NOT be better if the building had come down. Either way, they'd still be looking at a lengthy process to get things back closer to normal. The City of Omaha should look real hard at what can be done to open the streets back up, as long as people are safe. Just cleaning-up the mess as much as possible will help.

Oh, and what/where is this old "O" building?
If I'm not mistaken, it is one block to the east of El parian or whatever is currently in the bay of failure on the backside of 1200 landmark. I think that was the place that always would get into fights with patrons from Maria Sangria.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

GetUrban wrote: Oh, and what/where is this old "O" building?
1015 Farnam. The food was good at M's, but such a huge part of it was the design of the space and the atmosphere there. I don't see them moving anywhere.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

swgiust wrote:Two post in one day! I really like outside the box thinking. Two thoughts that I have had:

The city should make the parking building next to Roja's free. With a little promotion it would greatly help the Old Market stay open.

Second, M's should look at the old "O" building. They literally could clean it up and open. I'm sure the owners would love to sign a nice
3 year lease there.
Agreed on the free parking.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

At today's OMBA meeting, the city said they are still waiting on that engineer's report. Said they may be waiting another week.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Awning at fire-damaged M's Pub building could come down today

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/awning- ... 0e862.html
Roseann Moring / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The Mayor's Office said the Mercers, who own the building in the Old Market, have hired Anderson Excavating to remove the awning.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I think people are exaggerating the historic nature of the awning. It's really pretty simple construction, and could be easily and cheaply replicated with currently-available materials. Those awnings in OM were cheaply built without much, if any, architectural consideration at the time. They're pretty much the equivalent of the tacked-on roof over a deck that some homeowner builds over the weekend with a case of beer.

The brick facade, not so much. That's the part worth devoting the salvage and restoration effort.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I agree, the awnings could be rebuilt with some poles and sheet metal.

Like mentioned before, I would love it if they could rebuild it to look like it originally did.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is a photo from the World Herald:
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

skinzfan23 wrote:Here is a photo from the World Herald:
Wow, that looks like a bit "heavy-handed" way to bring down some sheet metal/steel post/angle canopies. I would think they would do more of a "surgical" disassembly so there is no chance of damaging the brick masonry walls. But I suppose some of those back hoe operators are so good they could probably scratch an itch or part the hair on your scalp without breaking the skin. Anyway, that makes me nervous.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

GetUrban wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:Here is a photo from the World Herald:
Wow, that looks like a bit "heavy-handed" way to bring down some sheet metal/steel post/angle canopies. I would think they would do more of a "surgical" disassembly so there is no chance of damaging the brick masonry walls. But I suppose some of those back hoe operators are so good they could probably scratch an itch or part the hair on your scalp without breaking the skin. Anyway, that makes me nervous.

My assumption is that they are taking this approach for the safety of the crew. Anything that would be more fine tuned would be hand work and would require people to be much more exposed to a wall failure.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Can they clean the bricks of the smoke? Because if not it would actually look really cool.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

To follow-up on my last post above....I did notice a video on the OWH article (or was it a TV station?), that the workers were doing some more "surgical" prep work removing things they want to save such as signage, gas light fixtures, etc....they were up on ladders working under the canopy and even sawing through some steel supports to remove things. So it wasn't all done with the back hoe, and the workers were at risk during the minor removals.

The brick can likely be cleaned of black fire soot by power-washing and/or a light soda-blasting. It seems the Mercers would want to return it to its original look and put the memories of this fire behind them.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I looked at it this morning. Doesn't look like they did any damage to the building when they removed the awning.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Just heard on the news that the west, south, and east walls will be reinforced, the north wall will be removed, as will the 4th floor.

Edit: sorry, they're going to remove part of the fourth floor that collapsed. They're not shortening the building.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Since they are removing that wall it would be nice if they expanded the building like it used to be.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HR Paperstacks wrote:Since they are removing that wall it would be nice if they expanded the building like it used to be.
I was hoping for the same thing!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:Since they are removing that wall it would be nice if they expanded the building like it used to be.
I was hoping for the same thing!
Same here. That would make sense if they had enough back alley space for deliveries...
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I would love that as well, but many people probably don't know that the building used to extend to the alley (I know many of us on here didn't until recently)

Also, I wonder how expensive and timely it would be to add to the building with new construction. I am sure they would have to use certain materials since it is a historic property.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Same here. That would make sense if they had enough back alley space for deliveries...
From what I have, seen most of the delivers are not being made out in the ally anyways, they just stop the trucks in the middle of the street. Not just an old Market thing. Seen beer trucks parked in 10th street delivering to DJ's on Capitol too.
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

I know M's has been getting all the attention here, but what about the Market House? Any idea of when they will reopen? of if they will?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

swgiust wrote:I know M's has been getting all the attention here, but what about the Market House? Any idea of when they will reopen? of if they will?
They have been quoted numerous times saying that they will reopen. The building received extensive water damage, so that has to be taken care of first. My guess is that they will reopen late this year or early next year.
Nick808402
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Nick808402 »

skinzfan23 wrote:
swgiust wrote:I know M's has been getting all the attention here, but what about the Market House? Any idea of when they will reopen? of if they will?
They have been quoted numerous times saying that they will reopen. The building received extensive water damage, so that has to be taken care of first. My guess is that they will reopen late this year or early next year.
I don't think so. The Market House employees have been staging at other restaurants and they pretty much all have new jobs now. The other week they went in to clean things out and do some demolition.

"Lucky" Market House employees made out with quite a nice stash of liquor and wine...
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From the World Herald:
The association is calling for artist submissions for images to place on 11-by-5-foot banners that will hang on the fence around the ravaged M’s Pub building as construction crews work to restore it. Submissions are due by March 31, and a jury of local artists and art enthusiasts will select the images to be reproduced on weather-resistant mesh banners, Pawloski said. The banners will hang for one year.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

If they're good I hope they find other uses for them.

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

RNcyanide wrote:If they're good I hope they find other uses for them.
Sounds like the ultimate goal is to compile them in a book.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

skinzfan23 wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:If they're good I hope they find other uses for them.
Sounds like the ultimate goal is to compile them in a book.
Still think there's plenty of blank canvases around town where they could be used.

The Bride
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

RNcyanide wrote:
Still think there's plenty of blank canvases around town where they could be used.
I agree, but I am not sure how well the mesh banners will hold up after being exposed to the elements for a year.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Those kind of outdoor banners are not meant to be permanent. They will be really ratty in a year. Even if they kept it pristine for the whole year (which I highly doubt in the old market) they will be completely faded if they get any sun at all.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Brad wrote:Those kind of outdoor banners are not meant to be permanent. They will be really ratty in a year. Even if they kept it pristine for the whole year (which I highly doubt in the old market) they will be completely faded if they get any sun at all.
Of course. I mean if they were to make them durable. Which I'm not at all expecting. I did see in a city council agenda that they were going to put up some banners in MTC on the building that houses the dinner theatre. It's in the 3/1 agenda.

The Bride
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

RNcyanide wrote:
Brad wrote:Those kind of outdoor banners are not meant to be permanent. They will be really ratty in a year. Even if they kept it pristine for the whole year (which I highly doubt in the old market) they will be completely faded if they get any sun at all.
Of course. I mean if they were to make them durable. Which I'm not at all expecting. I did see in a city council agenda that they were going to put up some banners in MTC on the building that houses the dinner theatre. It's in the 3/1 agenda.
If they get enough entries, they could always rotate them in and change them out occasionally. It would get kind of boring looking at the same banners for a year anyway.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

GetUrban wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:
If they get enough entries, they could always rotate them in and change them out occasionally. It would get kind of boring looking at the same banners for a year anyway.
But yet we want to look at the same building for 100+ years! ( Joke Joke Joke Joke!!!!!)
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

skinzfan23 wrote:From the World Herald:
The association is calling for artist submissions for images to place on 11-by-5-foot banners that will hang on the fence around the ravaged M’s Pub building as construction crews work to restore it. Submissions are due by March 31, and a jury of local artists and art enthusiasts will select the images to be reproduced on weather-resistant mesh banners, Pawloski said. The banners will hang for one year.
Big banners something like this?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Holy |expletive|!

http://www.omaha.com/money/dispatch-cal ... 5d57c.html

What a frickin mess!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

No kidding . Someone is going to pay for this...
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

nebugeater wrote:
GetUrban wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:
But yet we want to look at the same building for 100+ years! ( Joke Joke Joke Joke!!!!!)
Hahaha!

Banners = billboards. Buildings = "permanent" environment, if there is such a thing.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

The picture on the banner of this site of 11th and Howard (all lit up) would make a perfect banner for the Old Market Art Project. Whoever took it, should submit it.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

choke wrote:The picture on the banner of this site of 11th and Howard (all lit up) would make a perfect banner for the Old Market Art Project. Whoever took it, should submit it.
I took it, and I already donated a large mounted metal print to the M's Fundraiser. I am still waiting to hear details about what kind of right I would be giving away if I let them use it in the fence. Another artists told me they would be free to use it on whatever they want, which isn't cool.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Brad wrote:
choke wrote:The picture on the banner of this site of 11th and Howard (all lit up) would make a perfect banner for the Old Market Art Project. Whoever took it, should submit it.
I took it, and I already donated a large mounted metal print to the M's Fundraiser. I am still waiting to hear details about what kind of right I would be giving away if I let them use it in the fence. Another artists told me they would be free to use it on whatever they want, which isn't cool.
That's a shame. Every time I see that picture, I get sick to my stomach about how that intersection looks now compared to how it once looked so magnificent on a summer's night.