Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

BRoss
IT Director

M's Pub Explosion and Fire

Post by BRoss »

Looks like there was a gas leak and explosion at M's Pub today:

Fire, explosion reported at M's Pub at 11th and Howard Streets in Old Market
World-Herald staff reports wrote:Fire and rescue officials are on the scene of a reported a fire and explosion at M’s Pub at 11th and Howard in the Old Market. Fire department personnel are spraying water into apartment windows above M’s. Heavy smoke continues to pour out.

Callers to 911 reported a strong smell of natural gas just before the explosion, and the Fire Department said there was a leak in the basement.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Re: M's Pub

Post by U R my Helix »

hope no one was hurt. :(
Last edited by U R my Helix on Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A fire fighter just said it's moving east through the basements - now at Nouvelle Eve
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

1 day shy of the Butternut fire anniversary I believe. Same conditions cold and windy. :(
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I feel like we're going to lose the block. Idk I guess.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Dude... just awful...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

As of 30 minutes ago, fire still not under control. Floor collapse in the building.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Third alarm was just toned out.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

They are pulling fire personnel back. Likelihood of collapse is high.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Sorry I can't post these the right way, but I when I get home.

Photos:
http://on.fb.me/1naxhs7

I was in the gallery when it happened, shook the |expletive| out of the whole building!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

This is becoming so tragic. Hope nobody else gets hurt.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

GetUrban wrote:This is becoming so tragic. Hope nobody else gets hurt.
Yep. Thankfully everyone got out.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

Billy Frogs on fire report is false. Safe so far.
onelocalfoods
Home Owners Association

Re: The Market House (formerly Vivace)

Post by onelocalfoods »

Whats the latest.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

The thick brick walls between buildings are very effective fire walls for several hours, as long as the flames don't jump roofs or get blown from window to adjacent window, or the walls don't collapse. The weight of all the frozen water can become a factor too. This is such a nightmare, especially for the firefighters in subzero weather. I sure hope the owners can rebuild and M's and the displaced residents can return. So sad.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I sure hope the exterior of the building can be saved and they can rebuild inside the external walls.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Brad wrote:I sure hope the exterior of the building can be saved and they can rebuild inside the external walls.
They have been able to do so in a few of the past fires that have hit buildings in the OM, such as Jobbers Canyon Bar & Grill (now Blue) and the building where Howard Street Tavern / Homers was...I believe that is the former Vivace building. The Jobbers fire wasn't in such cold weather, but the Homer's fire was. Of course Butternut didn't fair so well. The Bemis building above the former Blue Barn burned too and they lost part of the top floor near the alley.

On this one it seems like the firefighters just couldn't get into the basement where the gas leak was feeding the fire to get a handle on it. (apparent cause) Bad news if they can't get inside to fight it. That's where sprinklers can help. Don't know if the M's building was sprinkled...appears not.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

This is truly devastating for downtown Omaha. I hope some philanthropic organisation comes in and rebuilds everything destroyed by the fire...because God knows the insurance companies won't make it easy for owners to do so. I do have my doubts about this building being able to be saved though since the fire department said that it could possibly be on the brink of collapsing... there may be just too much damage.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

The fire is out. They're now battling spot fires and heavy smoke. No word on the integrity of the building until tomorrow.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

I just read an article that a company was boring underground to install fiber optic cable and hit the gas line. Would they then be the ones held financially responsible for this...if it is true?
Last edited by lmdramos on Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

The contractor has liability insurance that will pay if they are deemed at fault, but I imagine the damage here likely exceeds what their policy is.
Last edited by mr. omaha on Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Fire is now "essentially out", OFD will remain over night in this wonderful weather.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Watching Ketv morning news and building still standing but no roof - so more or less an ice covered shell.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Hopefully, like the Brite Ideas building which appeared totally destroyed, the brick facade can be saved. Otherwise, a terrible loss for the Old Market.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Explosion in the Old Market....M's Pub is gone!

Post by OmahaOmaha »

Very sad news. I'm glad nobody got killed. My heart goes out to the owners, those who no longer have a home, and to all the employees who no longer have a place to work. Also, thank you to all the firemen who kept the rest of the Old Market from going up in flames.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I cannot imagine a more horrible blow to Omaha's iconic Old Market. It is like a giant punch to the gut. Words just fail me.
nebraska
Library Board

Re: Explosion in the Old Market....M's Pub is gone!

Post by nebraska »

This photo and more from Reddit.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

So long 1102 Howard St. 422 S 11th St. We will miss you.
Last edited by U R my Helix on Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

IANAL, but, this may take some time to settle down. Insurance will be a big issue, who was at fault, or who will be blamed. The Mercers owned and lived in this building, so they will have to decide what to do next.

Has the Stothert Administration said anything about this yet? That the one of the most iconic and tourist revenue creating site in this community has had a disaster? That they will do all they can to help restore this corner ?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

M’s Fire *Update*
As The Old Market Mourns, The Community Rallies

The Reader wrote:With the extent of the damage days away from being accurately assessed, the community wasted no time coming together in support of those who lost their jobs and homes last night. Restaurant owner Greg Cutchall has extended an offer to employ as many of M's staff as he can at nearby Jams while M's owners Ron Samuelson and Ann Mellen decide where to go from here.

The Tavern owner David Kerr launched a YouCaring account, instantly making the first generous donation to accompany a heartfelt note about the loss. https://www.youcaring.com/servers-in-th ... ket-500610

The Red Cross leapt into action, finding lodging for displaced families at The Residence Inn at 106 s 15th st. Donations can be made by simply texting 90999 to automatically send $10 to the cause.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ethan Bondelid wrote: The Market House Omaha looks surprisingly good inside. Paper menus on the tables let alone, a floor. It is raining in the restaurant however.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

This corner has rebuilt before.

"The Mercer Block #3 at the NE corner of 11th & Howard was destroyed by fire Jan 28, 1905. A new building replaced it in 1906."
image.jpg
image.jpg (189.33 KiB) Viewed 5466 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Jean Stothert @ 1:15 PM 10JAN16 wrote:
Update on Old Market fire: Building inspectors were at the scene last night and returned today but are not able enter the building, it is unstable and unsafe. They will try again tomorrow. Chief Kanger briefed me again this morning and urges everyone to stay away from the area. Here is the news release from the Omaha Fire Department, issued a short time ago.
Omaha Fire crews were dispatched to a possible explosion in a building at 422 South 11th St on January 9th at 2:51 p.m. Upon arrival crews found fire coming from the basement of the building and could smell natural gas at that time in the area.
A working fire was declared at 3:04 p.m. Crews entered the building and searched for possible occupied apartments on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th floors but did not find any occupants. A second alarm was declared at 3:43 p.m. as crews then fought the fire from the exterior until the natural gas was controlled by MUD at 4:28 p.m. Once the gas was controlled, an interior attack was attempted until the fire conditions forced them out of the
building into an outside, defensive attack.
Due to the fire conditions and the extreme weather, a 3rd alarm was declared at 7:26 p.m. The roof of the building collapsed at 10:30 p.m. amid reports that parts of the first floor of the building had also collapsed into the basement of the structure.
The fire was declared under control at midnight. Approximately 60 firefighters were on scene to help control the blaze. They battled not only the fire, but extreme cold, ice, and equipment issues due to the cold.
One occupant of the building suffered laceration and singed hair while he was exiting the building prior to crew’s arrival.
One other civilian was transported to a nearby hospital at 6:24 p.m. for a broken leg after slipping on the ice.
No Firefighter injuries were reported.
The fire building is part of 5 buildings that extend from 11th St. to the west. The fire building and the building next to it, to the west, are part of the “exclusion zone” that has been established, where no one is allowed in that area. Fire officials are attempting to have the utilities for the next 3 buildings to the west (buildings that house Stokes restaurant and Billy Frogs bar and grill) turned back on so that pipes do not freeze and are in the process of turning custody of those buildings back to their owners so that they may be re-occupied.
Road closures in the area include 10th St to 12th St. at Howard, and 11th St. North from Howard to Harney St.
Fire crews are still on scene today, as well as fire investigators.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation at this time.
Mentions nothing about the businesses...:roll:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote wrote:
Ethan Bondelid wrote: The Market House Omaha looks surprisingly good inside. Paper menus on the tables let alone, a floor. It is raining in the restaurant however.
Tim Maides wrote:Cross your fingers boys
Sounds as if the Market House may somehow survive this disaster...

Shout out to onelocalfoods: what do you know?
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Well, there are some buildings east of the Holland Center that may need to be moved to a new location.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Coyote wrote:This corner has rebuilt before.

"The Mercer Block #3 at the NE corner of 11th & Howard was destroyed by fire Jan 28, 1905. A new building replaced it in 1906."
image.jpg

Talk about coincidence. Crazy.
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

Coyote wrote:Has the Stothert Administration said anything about this yet? That the one of the most iconic and tourist revenue creating site in this community has had a disaster? That they will do all they can to help restore this corner ?
Do you think the City Council will realize on Tuesday that the $10 million earmarked for the buildings on 11th and Douglas would go a long way towards repair/redevelopment of the building on 11th and Howard, right in the heart of one of the most significant intersections in Omaha? I know there will be insurance payouts, but still, the City HAS to understand the significance of what happened, where it happened, and should try to assist in any way possible.

Also, word on the street is Verizon was the company boring the fiber optic cable.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

choke wrote:Well, there are some buildings east of the Holland Center that may need to be moved to a new location.
That's an awesome idea!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Coyote wrote:
Mentions nothing about the businesses...:roll:

That's because the 1:15PM statement just repeated a news release from the fire department. The mayor did mention the businesses and other occupants in an earlier social media post.

Jean Stothert wrote:
We are all saddened by the devastating fire in the Old Market and the losses to the businesses and residents. Our memories of M's Pub are celebrations, holiday gatherings, summer afternoons on the patio and much more.

The Omaha Fire Department has done an exceptional job for nearly 24 hours. Thank you to every firefighter who risked their own safety. We are so fortunate this fire did not cause significant injuries or loss of life. We also thank the Red Cross, Salvation Army and other Old Market businesses providing shelter and support to our firefighters and residents.

The extreme cold and icing makes this a dangerous area right now. The fire and police departments request that you stay a safe distance away until they give the all clear.

As Chief Kanger and his investigative team provide updates on the condition of the building and the cause of the fire, we will provide thorough information.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

If what I am understand from the posts in this thread. The building that is NOT above M's is undamaged (we hope). I think there is some confusion about the number of units over M's. According to the assessor there are only 5. The others are in the building next door (shown in the red box) its a little confusing because the parcel is L shaped and the address is posted on the S 11th street side where there is only alley space.