M's Pub Explosion and Fire

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Re: M's Pub Explosion and Fire

Post by Brad »

My company "Brad Williams Photography" donates to good causes all the time. In January 2016, my prints raised $650 in different fundraisers. I never heard what happened in Feb at the MOQ fundraiser. I would much rather donate a nice looking ready to hang print than to hand over a digital file. Its just like if you asked a restaurant for a donation they are give your food, not the recipe...

That said, if I was sending the digital file for the fence straight to Curzon or Renze, I would be fine with that. I have worked with those company many times and I know they do quality work and my digital file is safe.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:My company "Brad Williams Photography" donates to good causes all the time. In January 2016, my prints raised $650 in different fundraisers. I never heard what happened in Feb at the MOQ fundraiser. I would much rather donate a nice looking ready to hang print than to hand over a digital file. Its just like if you asked a restaurant for a donation they are give your food, not the recipe...

That said, if I was sending the digital file for the fence straight to Curzon or Renze, I would be fine with that. I have worked with those company many times and I know they do quality work and my digital file is safe.
This might be asking too much, but, could you post a mock image of what your banner would look like? It's hard to Imagine a vertical banner...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:This might be asking too much, but, could you post a mock image of what your banner would look like? It's hard to Imagine a vertical banner...
They are Horizontal: http://oldmarket.com/artproject
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:This might be asking too much, but, could you post a mock image of what your banner would look like? It's hard to Imagine a vertical banner...
They are Horizontal: http://oldmarket.com/artproject
Don't try and cop it, Williams tried suing me years ago just for looking at his photos.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote: They are Horizontal: http://oldmarket.com/artproject
I don't know why I presumed that they would be vertical hanging banners... a 5:2 makes sense...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Yeah, that would work. My original is 3:2, but here is what a 5:2 looks like:

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Construction on M's Pub building could begin as early as this week
Work to shore up the damaged walls of the fire-ravaged M’s Pub building could begin as soon as Friday.... the project could take several weeks to several months. Construction will start as soon as the necessary equipment is available, he said — as soon as today or Monday.

Omaha City Planning Superintendent Jay Davis said the east, south and north walls of the M’s building will be braced. Then debris can be cleaned out of the building.
Once that happens, reconstruction can begin. Davis estimates that to be about a month off.

“They’re saying two to five years to reopen the whole building, but I think they might try to get Nouvelle Eve open in two years,” she said.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

That headline in the OWH stating construction could start soon is misleading IMO. Construction, as I define it is a ways off. What is gong on now is controlled demo and shoring of the remaining structure.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

nebugeater wrote:That headline in the OWH stating construction could start soon is misleading IMO. Construction, as I define it is a ways off. What is gong on now is controlled demo and shoring of the remaining structure.
Yeah, I agree with you on that one. I am sure they are just trying to create an attention grabbing headline, but it does sound like actual construction might not start for a few months and once it does, it may take up to a few years.

I still don't understand why they can't shore it up and then start construction and have it completed by next summer. That gives them 14-16 months, which I think should be more than enough time, especially for a such a significant intersection in the Old Market.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

The condo owners have to settle, and then either sell out or they will want to have a say in reconstruction. If the insurance companies buy the condos, they will want to optimize their profit, so will want to have a say in how the building is built.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:That headline in the OWH stating construction could start soon is misleading IMO. Construction, as I define it is a ways off. What is gong on now is controlled demo and shoring of the remaining structure.
Yeah, I agree with you on that one. I am sure they are just trying to create an attention grabbing headline, but it does sound like actual construction might not start for a few months and once it does, it may take up to a few years.

I still don't understand why they can't shore it up and then start construction and have it completed by next summer. That gives them 14-16 months, which I think should be more than enough time, especially for a such a significant intersection in the Old Market.

And for those that scan the headlines a totally inaccurate expectation. But I guess we are programmed to accept this as the norm.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They build a large yellow/black crane today.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The just finished up building the crane and now backed it in to place in front of M's.

Photo Update:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

So 5 cranes of some sort in DTO? Would rather have 4 w/o this one, but still pretty cool.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Tower cranes are the only ones that count.
15-17, 26, 32
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Tower cranes are the only ones that count.
15-17, 26, 32
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Kind of disturbing seeing a crane like that in the OM. Should be OK as long as they don't hook-up a wrecking ball.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Getting more messy....
Jay Davis wrote: April 8,2016

M's Pub update

To all Old Market Businesses and residents,

As you have noticed, there has been a lot of activity over the last several weeks on the corner of Llth
and Howard. Plans were approved and permits issued to start the bracing and stabilization of the M's
Pub building.

My office was informed two weeks ago that there is going to be an additional investigation done by a
third party fire investigator. This investigator was hired by the owner's attorney and not hired by the
City of Omaha. Because of the potentialfor litigation in this case, all investigators that where initially
here in January have to return to the site and complete their investigations as well.

For this reason, the M's Pub side of the building is only authorized to remove unstable brick at the top of
the north wall and then stop until this investigation is completed. The investigation is tentatively
scheduled for the second week of April.

This ultimately means that Eleventh Street between the alley and Howard Street will not be open in time
for the Berkshire Hathaway weekend.

We will keep you informed if anything changes.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I was wondering when the lawsuits would start rolling in...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Found these pictures of the building that was there before the current M's building was built in 1905, and a photo of the replacement building before they lost the north half in the 1940's. Once again, from the Durham photo archives...

Makes me wonder if the fire started in those Christmas trees. But I think is says 2 years before the fire...1903. That building was huge.

He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Wow.

The current building is nice and all, but that first one was beautiful. Those arched windows would have made for some killer lofts.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

I wonder if they will add a couple floors on top of the building. They are going to be adding an entire new support structure inside the building there is no reason they couldn't add three more floors of residential on top of the building.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:I wonder if they will add a couple floors on top of the building. They are going to be adding an entire new support structure inside the building there is no reason they couldn't add three more floors of residential on top of the building.
I would love that, but I am guessing they are going to try to restore it back to the way it was right before the fire.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I'm glad they installed the artwork. It would be great to see some colorful art covering the entire building. :-)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

OSHA recommends $4,900 fine for excavators in M's Pub blaze
Janice Podsada - World-Herald staff writer wrote:The fine for a “serious” OSHA violation is capped at $7,000, and fines can be reduced based on the size of the employer: “Based on North Central’s size, they received a 30 percent ($2,100) reduction,” said Jeff Funke, director of OSHA in Omaha.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Is it just me or is that not a lot of money?
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

daveoma wrote:Is it just me or is that not a lot of money?
I feel like if I (as a single father) can afford it, then it probably isn't enough of a fine for a company. But what do I know.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

:P
Louie wrote:
daveoma wrote:Is it just me or is that not a lot of money?
I feel like if I (as a single father) can afford it, then it probably isn't enough of a fine for a company. But what do I know.
Kudos for the single dad! :clap:
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

OSHA isn't a court of equity. That's what the civil court system is for.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

jessep28 wrote:OSHA isn't a court of equity. That's what the civil court system is for.
I was hoping this was the case. OSHA fînes aside, the civil suit on North Central should better be significant.
But does this mean that North Central was found guilty of neglicence?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looks like the north wall has been re-built and the floors are going back in.

1. Two Fridays ago when the storms were rolling in.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

A little history:

Jim McKee: The Mercer family and Omaha’s Old Market
JIM MCKEE For the Lincoln Journal Star wrote:Beginning about 1900, the city of Omaha auctioned off sidewalk sites in the market area for open air vegetable and fruit stalls. On Jan. 28, 1905, the five-story building on the northwest corner of 11th and Howard which had been built by Mercer burned to the ground. It was reported that “streetcars ran until 2 a.m. to bring spectators to the site while nearby saloons did a roaring business.” Mercer immediately built a new five-story brick structure known as Mercer Block No. 3 on the same site designed by local architect Charles Cleeves. In the 1930s, this replacement structure was rebuilt as a banana warehouse without the top two floors and without the northern section of the building.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

$1.1M remodel plans go to the City.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:$1.1M remodel plans go to the City.
I know it is probably accurate but the use of "remodel" seems to understate it a bit!
Lillian Bean
Home Owners Association

Post by Lillian Bean »

$1.1M remodel plans go to the City.
This is actually for the building directly to the west which was gutted due to water and smoke damage.
Thinking there's not a whole lot to say anymore now that people listen & she has to make sense.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

C'mon balcony!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Looks like the draft reports for the root cause are landing on MUD's shoulders. Gas line that was hit was not marked or at least not marked properly.

http://www.omaha.com/money/the-gas-serv ... e0dbb.html
Metropolitan Utilities District workers did not mark the natural gas line that was breached and sparked the massive fire that destroyed the M’s Pub building, according to an investigative report from the State Fire Marshal’s Office.

The underground excavators drilling in the area who hit the pipe couldn’t have known of its existence without the markings of nearby gas lines, the report said.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Market House is beginning to renovate.