Kansas' Annual Prairie Grass Fires

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

BRoss
IT Director

Kansas' Annual Prairie Grass Fires

Post by BRoss »

So the air quality today in the metro has been deemed "unhealthy". My question is why is our state not taking legal action to stop Kansas from doing this year after year?
Coyote
City Council

Re: Kansas' Annual Prairie Grass Fires

Post by Coyote »

After all, they tried to get Colorado from smoking grass. :banana:
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Coyote wrote:After all, they tried to get Colorado from smoking grass. :banana:
Exactly! But in this case, it is actually a legitimate complaint. When I emailed to AG, I was going to add some snarky remark about that but I figured they would not reply back if I did...
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

HR Paperstacks wrote:So the air quality today in the metro has been deemed "unhealthy". My question is why is our state not taking legal action to stop Kansas from doing this year after year?
Is this actually an annual scheduled event?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Isn't this smoke today from a wildfire mostly in Oklahoma? It was as bad as I've ever seen it this morning. (oops, sorry I just read the OWH story)

There's not really much that can be done since it will burn eventually on it's own anyway. Somebody is always going to complain, depending on which way the wind is blowing. More frequent controlled burns in smaller areas can cut down on the amount of smoke.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Sure it is smokie. If someone is irritated ( in a physical sense) by it then by all means do what you can to stay in. But it is part of the cycle of the crop land and like already stated if not set it will most likely happen on it's own. Guess we should just put a stop to all camp fires too.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

nebugeater wrote:Sure it is smokie. If someone is irritated ( in a physical sense) by it then by all means do what you can to stay in. But it is part of the cycle of the crop land and like already stated if not set it will most likely happen on it's own. Guess we should just put a stop to all camp fires too.
Well this is a lot more than a camp fire. But I didn't know it would happen anyways. It just seemed like this would be something we should actually complain about. And I personally don't like it hazing up the whole city. Maybe I'm just a little bored right now and finding things to complain about.