Apple Map 3D Omaha

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Uffda
County Board

Apple Map 3D Omaha

Post by Uffda »

I just saw a FB post that Apple Maps is now featuring Omaha in 3D.
Brad
City Council

Re: Apple Map 3D Omaha

Post by Brad »

Uffda wrote:I just saw a FB post that Apple Maps is now featuring Omaha in 3D.
Apple Maps? is this a website?
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Brad wrote:
Uffda wrote:I just saw a FB post that Apple Maps is now featuring Omaha in 3D.
Apple Maps? is this a website?

Only on iOS devices young man. :D
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

It's been 3D for a few months now, I was going to mention it butt I figure why bother the cool people ( users) must already know.

15-17, 26, 32
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

 has added a flyover tour for Omaha in Maps.

15-17, 26, 32
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Wow! Thanks for pointing this out. I knew about Google Maps/Google Earth 3D, but I didn't know about Apple Maps. I'm just AMAZED that we can look at our cities in 3D now -- including each individual house. It makes my jaw drop. Back in the day, I would buy a satellite poster of a city at a store, and that is all I had. Now, we can not only look at any city or region at any height or angle, we can actually zoom down on the city, and look at everything in 3D. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. (I notice Google Maps doesn't have everything done yet. For example, if you go to the Chicago or Las Vegas metros, not all the metro is done yet...)

I'm a fan of the Flight Simulator game, and can you imagine if they incorporated all this 3D detail into that game? The cities in that game have been very clunky compared to this new stuff, and you used to have to buy additional software to get a more realistic-looking city. If they could only incorporate all this into the game...
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

RockHarbor wrote: (I notice Google Maps doesn't have everything done yet. For example, if you go to the Chicago or Las Vegas metros, not all the metro is done yet...)
I think something is amiss with what you are doing.

The 3D is generated algorithmically, not modeled. Any building with enough satellite date should render (so effectively all the USA)