Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Zebra mussel again in Zorinsky Lake

Post by Brad »

Zebra mussel again in Zorinsky Lake

Zebra mussel larvae have been found again in Zorinsky Lake

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/zebra-m ... bf0e6.html
Nancy Gaarder / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Bad news for Zorinsky Lake: Evidence of the invasive zebra mussel has again been found in the lake, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers announced Thursday.

One of the most aggressive species known to invade the U.S., the mussel typically damages infrastructure around a lake and upsets the ecosystem, causing fish populations to decline.
Trips
Library Board

Re: Zebra mussel again in Zorinsky Lake

Post by Trips »

As someone that runs the trails multiple time a week this is absolutely terrible. Last time the smell was so bad from when they drained it I stopped going.

I would estimate that for every one boat there are 2,500+ people using the trails, playground, sport fields or picnic areas.

Who would support No Boating on the lake?
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Re: Zebra mussel again in Zorinsky Lake

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Trips wrote:As someone that runs the trails multiple time a week this is absolutely terrible. Last time the smell was so bad from when they drained it I stopped going.

I would estimate that for every one boat there are 2,500+ people using the trails, playground, sport fields or picnic areas.

Who would support No Boating on the lake?
It was wishful thinking to hope that draining the lake would work the first time so I don't think they would be dumb enough to drain it again. The problem is we don't know how it got zebra mussels in the first place but someone had to introduce them to the lake. How is draining the lake going to stop the same numb skull fisherman that contaminated the lake from doing it again. Odds are the fisherman that contaminated the lake the first time does not even know he did it or care and until you stop that person its going to be hopeless. They claim the only other infested lake in the area is the base lake. The connection might be some air force guy or retired air force guy uses those 2 lakes and is bringing the mussels in from out of state.