The Broom Man Project

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

The Broom Man Project

Post by Coyote »

The Broom Man Project Is an effort to raise funds to create a Bronze Sculpture to keep the memory alive of an Omaha Icon, The Broom Man - Livingston Wills.

It was said that one of the Reverend's favorite scripture passages was the following found in Psalms 133:

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!

"The hearts of the people of Omaha were for him," said Bernadine Jefferson, a friend of about 50 years. "I think a lot of people felt like he was part of their family. He was joyful and he had a good memory."

...Jefferson said Wills lived his life as God had instructed: "Love thy neighbor as thyself. Love your enemies, do good to them who hate you, bless them that curse you, and pray for them who despitefully use you."
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: The Broom Man Project

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I hope this tribute comes to fruition..

I used to see this guy all the time walking along Saddle Creek Rd in the late 80's/early 90's.. and he was a heck of a nice guy. A legendary part of the 20th Certury urban Omaha mosaic.. Anyone who lived in or frequented this area of Omaha in the 80's or 90's, remembers the "Broom Man"...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Bought my first house in the 90's. Before we moved in got our broom for it from him. My Dad had been buying brooms from him for years. My Dad really looked up to him.

Greg
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

I can remember back in my heavy partying days in the late 70s and it was always a mind blower to be driving along half ripped and see the broom man walking down the street. One time around 2000 and something I was eating at the Old Country Buffet on 74th & Dodge and the Broom Man was there eating with a small entourage of about 6 or 7 people. After the Broom Man got done eating they went out and got his nice big blue Cadillac and pulled it up by the front door. The Cadillac was pretty new and nice and had Broom Man vanity plates on it. The Broom Man came outside and stood by the front door/his caddy and quickly sold about 6 or 7 brooms in about 10 minutes. His entourage then loaded him up into the car and the show went down the road.