14,000 show up for Omaha Women's March

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Stargazer
County Board

14,000 show up for Omaha Women's March

Post by Stargazer »

I would guess this was one of the largest marches of this kind to take place in Omaha. World Herald reported that it spanned some 14 blocks. We walked down Capitol to 13th, south to the Old Market, down Howard... it was quite a sight.

My wife ran into this guy
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Re: 14,000 show up for Omaha Women's March

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

You all get yourselves all riled up and come at us with Pocahontas in 4 years. Good luck with that! :lol:
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Natural attrition will ultimately leave today's progressives in power by default. It's the way of things. Enjoy a last gasp of conservatism for the time being. No offense 'grandpa', but you'll be dead soon enough (note that wasn't necessarily directed at you, Smucker, just your people :) ).
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

Stargazer wrote:Natural attrition will ultimately leave today's progressives in power by default. It's the way of things. Enjoy a last gasp of conservatism for the time being. No offense 'grandpa', but you'll be dead soon enough (note that wasn't necessarily directed at you, Smucker, just your people :) ).
I'd like to believe that...but, I don't know that I see it. We've been down this road before. I know the left was confident and the right was fearful in 2009 that the shifting demographics of our nation had shifted so much that the nation would be under control of the Democrats for decades. It was said at that time, the last gasp of the "greatest generation" was at hand, and younger Obama block would determine the makeup of DC for years. Yet, we've since seen the Democrats lose both houses of congress and now have Donald Trump sitting in the White House. We learned that the group of young and minority voters that were so excited by President Obama didn't show up at mid term elections and didn't vote for Hillary Clinton.

Now, I've said for a while the Democrats have only themselves to blame by running the worst option possible in 2016. I still believe she was back room promised the nomination in either 2012 (had Obama lost) or 2016 if he served 2 terms. That's the only way to explain just how much the party pushed her at all costs. I also believe someone like Sanders or Joe Biden could have combated Trumps populist rhetoric more successfully and would have beaten him.

Still, 2016 also showed me that the Democrats path to the White House will always be shakier than the Republicans. The right will always have their "Solid South". The Democrats have almost zero chance of pulling any Southern or Plains states from the Republicans...but, it only takes a little push for the left to lose states like Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, etc. that is supposed to be their block. I don't see this dynamic changing in 4 or 8 years either.

So, I certainly don't see this as a last gasp of conservatism, no matter how much I want to personally agree with you. I think it will take the Trump administration totally flaming out, as many predict, to bring about such a change.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:You all get yourselves all riled up and come at us with Pocahontas in 4 years. Good luck with that! :lol:
I say with much respect to you and with a good amount of German-American tough love.

This is the largest protest I've ever seen in Omaha. It's much larger than the anti-Iraq war protests of the early 2000s, larger than the Occupy Wall Street protests, and definitely larger than any of the anti-abortion protests along Dodge street. These are also larger than any tea party protests that I'm aware of.

We don't know what will happen in 4 years, but it's hubris to dismiss the fact that thousands of people in a place usually prone to political apathy. These protesters (mostly women) are burning with rage, and they're going to be more powerful than 1000 gun clenching white men with shivering shrunken phaluses who still have no idea that they voted for a guy who will wage war on the working class. It's a hard rain's a gonna fall grandpa.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

daveoma wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:You all get yourselves all riled up and come at us with Pocahontas in 4 years. Good luck with that! :lol:
These protesters (mostly women) are burning with rage
I will tell you that I did not vote for Trump, however; who are the women protesting against? If anything, they should be protesting against their own sex. It took a large population of women voters to help put Trump into office. It seems to me that plenty of women really don't care if Trump is a misogynist and a groper. If I wasn't married, I'd be out on the street grabbin' women left-and-right. If it's okay for the president to do, then why not me?
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

choke wrote:
daveoma wrote:
These protesters (mostly women) are burning with rage
I will tell you that I did not vote for Trump, however; who are the women protesting against? If anything, they should be protesting against their own sex. It took a large population of women voters to help put Trump into office. It seems to me that plenty of women really don't care if Trump is a misogynist and a groper. If I wasn't married, I'd be out on the street grabbin' women left-and-right. If it's okay for the president to do, then why not me?
This question was asked to Jane Fonda by Bill Maher. She didn't have a good answer, so it would seem women voting against their own interests needs to be explored.
OmahaOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by OmahaOmaha »

There were a lot of nasty women on the streets of Omaha and I think Donald Trump wouldn't touch most of their genitals with a 10 foot pole. Sorry, but I think those people in the march are just a bunch of sore losers who are having a hard time dealing with the fact that their candidate didn't win. I guess that's what happens when you give everyone trophies now days, no matter if you win or lose.

Proud to be a deplorable.
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Bomaha »

I'm very proud of my hometown and for all of those who showed up. I wish I could've been there. It must've been a sight to see with all of those people. Proud to be born and raised in Omaha. :)
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

OmahaOmaha wrote:There were a lot of nasty women on the streets of Omaha and I think Donald Trump wouldn't touch most of their genitals with a 10 foot pole. Sorry, but I think those people in the march are just a bunch of sore losers who are having a hard time dealing with the fact that their candidate didn't win. I guess that's what happens when you give everyone trophies now days, no matter if you win or lose.

It's not a bunch of sore losers, its men, women and children concerned that a xenophobic, racist, reality star has taken the position president with no prior experience in politics. They're concerned their rights and privileges as an American are going to be taken away, starting with the ACA.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
OmahaOmaha wrote:There were a lot of nasty women on the streets of Omaha and I think Donald Trump wouldn't touch most of their genitals with a 10 foot pole. Sorry, but I think those people in the march are just a bunch of sore losers who are having a hard time dealing with the fact that their candidate didn't win. I guess that's what happens when you give everyone trophies now days, no matter if you win or lose.

It's not a bunch of sore losers, its men, women and children concerned that a xenophobic, racist, reality star has taken the position president with no prior experience in politics. They're concerned their rights and privileges as an American are going to be taken away, starting with the ACA.

Those women are mostly concerned about themselves. They could not give a tinkers damn about the tens of millions of 27-40 year old males who will probably not go to the doctor twice in the next 5 years and are now required by law to buy health insurance to the tune of $500 a month. The reason the womens insurance cost 3 times more in the old days was because they go to the Dr 3 times more then men. They were not being charged more due to discrimination. Making the men pay for some of the womens share is not fair it is communism. Half the scam of the ACA was to force the healthy and young people to pay for the sick and old people.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote: Half the scam of the ACA was to force the healthy and young people to pay for the sick and old people.
Hate to break it too you, but that is how insurance works. Healthy people buy it in case they get sick. Its a gamble you have to take since you never know when you'll need it. ACA just attempted to increase access to insurance for more people by not allowing insurance companies to exclude higher risk people with existing conditions from being grouped in with a larger pool of healthy people who probably won't need it until later in life. It also attempted to help people that cannot afford insurance obtain it and reduce the occurrence of more serious illness by paying for more preventative medicine. The GOP and the insurance and pharmaceutical industries should share at least part of the blame for the shortcomings of ACA.

People who are against ACA are primarily just looking out for themselves and don't want to pay for other people's misfortune.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

GetUrban wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote: Half the scam of the ACA was to force the healthy and young people to pay for the sick and old people.
Hate to break it too you, but that is how insurance works. Healthy people buy it in case they get sick. Its a gamble you have to take since you never know when you'll need it. ACA just attempted to increase access to insurance for more people by not allowing insurance companies to exclude higher risk people with existing conditions from being grouped in with a larger pool of healthy people who probably won't need it until later in life. It also attempted to help people that cannot afford insurance obtain it and reduce the occurrence of more serious illness by paying for more preventative medicine. The GOP and the insurance and pharmaceutical industries should share at least part of the blame for the shortcomings of ACA.

People who are against ACA are primarily just looking out for themselves and don't want to pay for other people's misfortune.
You are talking nonsense. How is it fair to make a 28 year old male help pay for a 50 year old persons health insurance? Thats not free enterprise and capitalism its communism. If the government wants to give the 50 year old person a big fat discount thats one thing but to force the young and healthy to pay for it is age discrimination. I know life aint fair. Its the same with car insurance. Why should a guy like me who has not been in an accident in 20 years have to pay the same for my car insurance as some ding bat woman who destroyed her car twice in the past decade? Why should the ding bat even be allowed in my insurance pool?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
GetUrban wrote:

You are talking nonsense. How is it fair to make a 28 year old male help pay for a 50 year old persons health insurance? Thats not free enterprise and capitalism its communism. If the government wants to give the 50 year old person a big fat discount thats one thing but to force the young and healthy to pay for it is age discrimination. I know life aint fair. Its the same with car insurance. Why should a guy like me who has not been in an accident in 20 years have to pay the same for my car insurance as some ding bat woman who destroyed her car twice in the past decade? Why should the ding bat even be allowed in my insurance pool?
50 year old people typically pay a higher rate than 28 year old people. That's what makes it fair. It's all based on risk. The money is pooled together by the insurance company to balance the risk and cover the total costs they incur from the different age groups they insure.

The real question at the heart of the ACA is whether people want to subsidize coverage for others who can't afford it, and whether in the long run it actually saves money to insure those folks rather than have them postpone treatment until they have no choice but go to the emergency room. The verdict is still out on whether the ACA can be tweaked enough to make everybody happy. If you only care about yourself, friends, family, and other people like you, your answer is probably no.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Stargazer wrote:I would guess this was one of the largest marches of this kind to take place in Omaha. World Herald reported that it spanned some 14 blocks. We walked down Capitol to 13th, south to the Old Market, down Howard... it was quite a sight.

My wife ran into this guy
I was talking with some friends yesterday who marched downtown for the Saturday protest and they told me 14,000 was a lowball number and the organizers of the event estimated the number ending up at actually 18-20,000.. Regardless, the sheer number is quite impressive for a mid major metro of about 1 million in the heart of what most would categorize as "conservative middle America".. and should not be minimized as meaningless..

Just sayin' :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

omaha79 wrote:
Stargazer wrote:Natural attrition will ultimately leave today's progressives in power by default. It's the way of things. Enjoy a last gasp of conservatism for the time being. No offense 'grandpa', but you'll be dead soon enough (note that wasn't necessarily directed at you, Smucker, just your people :) ).
I'd like to believe that...but, I don't know that I see it. We've been down this road before. I know the left was confident and the right was fearful in 2009 that the shifting demographics of our nation had shifted so much that the nation would be under control of the Democrats for decades. It was said at that time, the last gasp of the "greatest generation" was at hand, and younger Obama block would determine the makeup of DC for years. Yet, we've since seen the Democrats lose both houses of congress and now have Donald Trump sitting in the White House. We learned that the group of young and minority voters that were so excited by President Obama didn't show up at mid term elections and didn't vote for Hillary Clinton.

Now, I've said for a while the Democrats have only themselves to blame by running the worst option possible in 2016. I still believe she was back room promised the nomination in either 2012 (had Obama lost) or 2016 if he served 2 terms. That's the only way to explain just how much the party pushed her at all costs. I also believe someone like Sanders or Joe Biden could have combated Trumps populist rhetoric more successfully and would have beaten him.

Still, 2016 also showed me that the Democrats path to the White House will always be shakier than the Republicans. The right will always have their "Solid South". The Democrats have almost zero chance of pulling any Southern or Plains states from the Republicans...but, it only takes a little push for the left to lose states like Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, etc. that is supposed to be their block. I don't see this dynamic changing in 4 or 8 years either.

So, I certainly don't see this as a last gasp of conservatism, no matter how much I want to personally agree with you. I think it will take the Trump administration totally flaming out, as many predict, to bring about such a change.
I agree with this take. But I also think Trump flaming out may not be enough to bring down the right. If you look at the past few election cycles, all the youthful star power seems to be on the right. Paul Ryan and Ted Cruz are 46. Marco Rubio is 45. Evan McMullin is 40. Rand Paul is still a nimble 54. Mike Pence is 57. Granted, the GOP just nominated and got elected a 70 year old man. But that seems to be more akin to what the left is offering lately. Bernie Sanders is 75,Hillary is 69, Biden is 74, Jill Stein is 66 Elizabeth Warren in 67. The youth of Obama and the twilight years of Trump are counter to the direction their respective parties seem headed.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

edsas wrote:
omaha79 wrote:

I agree with this take. But I also think Trump flaming out may not be enough to bring down the right. If you look at the past few election cycles, all the youthful star power seems to be on the right. Paul Ryan and Ted Cruz are 46. Marco Rubio is 45. Evan McMullin is 40. Rand Paul is still a nimble 54. Mike Pence is 57. Granted, the GOP just nominated and got elected a 70 year old man. But that seems to be more akin to what the left is offering lately. Bernie Sanders is 75,Hillary is 69, Biden is 74, Jill Stein is 66 Elizabeth Warren in 67. The youth of Obama and the twilight years of Trump are counter to the direction their respective parties seem headed.
The left also has rising leaders in Julian Castro, Kamala Harris, Corey Booker, and Tammie Duckworth. I don't think the next nominee will be Warren or Sanders. Democrats will probably want new blood.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Garrett wrote: The left also has rising leaders in Julian Castro, Kamala Harris, Corey Booker, and Tammie Duckworth. I don't think the next nominee will be Warren or Sanders. Democrats will probably want new blood.
I don't know about that. Dems are still rolling out Nancy Pelosi.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

choke wrote:
Garrett wrote: The left also has rising leaders in Julian Castro, Kamala Harris, Corey Booker, and Tammie Duckworth. I don't think the next nominee will be Warren or Sanders. Democrats will probably want new blood.

Exactly! Pocohontas is 100% what is behind that womens march. The Dems want to see if they can get the women riled up and then get them to throw their support behind Pocohontas. The 2020 presidential race will almost certainly be Warren against Trump. If its not Warren then its going to be Sanders. If there was any young Dem talent they are just going to lay back until 2024 and not risk running against a sitting president.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
choke wrote:

Exactly! Pocohontas is 100% what is behind that womens march. The Dems want to see if they can get the women riled up and then get them to throw their support behind Pocohontas. The 2020 presidential race will almost certainly be Warren against Trump. If its not Warren then its going to be Sanders. If there was any young Dem talent they are just going to lay back until 2024 and not risk running against a sitting president.
I don't think the presidency is her goal though. She's far more effective in the Senate and I think she likes working there. We'll see how the party reorganizes itself in the next two years for the midterms, state elections, and beyond. Another thing that needs to happen is reform against gerrymandering, but we'll see on that one.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Exactly! Pocohontas is 100% what is behind that womens march.
Wrong again Grandpa. Why don't you try to learn something new instead of reading your Breitbart fish wrap for once.
What the Women’s March Stands For

Their platform calls for a broad range of reforms to address not only gender inequity but also racial and economic inequality. It supports paid family leave; anti-discrimination protections for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Americans; access to affordable reproductive health care, including contraception and abortion; an end to the use of military-style weapons and tactics by the police in minority communities; a living minimum wage; immigration reform, with a path to citizenship; and protection of the environment and public lands.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Coyote wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Exactly! Pocohontas is 100% what is behind that womens march.
Wrong again Grandpa. Why don't you try to learn something new instead of reading your Breitbart fish wrap for once.
What the Women’s March Stands For

Their platform calls for a broad range of reforms to address not only gender inequity but also racial and economic inequality. It supports paid family leave; anti-discrimination protections for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Americans; access to affordable reproductive health care, including contraception and abortion; an end to the use of military-style weapons and tactics by the police in minority communities; a living minimum wage; immigration reform, with a path to citizenship; and protection of the environment and public lands.

Actually I see what I see and form my own opinion. I don't read bogus internet sites on any side of the political spectrum. You shouldn't either. Nobody should. Those sites dumb a person down with all their lies and misrepresentations of the truth.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Actually I see what I see and form my own opinion. I don't read bogus internet sites on any side of the political spectrum. You shouldn't either. Nobody should. Those sites dumb a person down with all their lies and misrepresentations of the truth.
When I studied Political Science at UNO in the early 80's we actually had spin checks on most of the major periodicals at the time. We tracked to see how accurately they reported and didn't put their own spin on news. Grandpa, don't tell me how to make my own discernments on what I read. You are the one spewing alternative facts.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Garrett wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
choke wrote:

I don't think the presidency is her goal though. She's far more effective in the Senate and I think she likes working there. We'll see how the party reorganizes itself in the next two years for the midterms, state elections, and beyond. Another thing that needs to happen is reform against gerrymandering, but we'll see on that one.
I'd much prefer to see Tulsi Gabbard in the mix at the top.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

OmahaOmaha wrote:Proud to be a deplorable.
That's not something to be proud of. It shows true ignorance to call yourself something negative thinking it's good. And they are not really worried about Trump touching them - they are worried about what message that sends to everyone else. 102 year olds get raped. It's not about age and looks and this is no joking matter either.

Also, this was not a case of "sore losers". It was making sure the majority made their voices heard. Whether you like it or not, a majority in this country voted against Trump (he lost the popular vote by close to three million). The fact that Trump is taking the win to mean some kind of mandate is just ridiculous. He only won because a lot of people really did not like Clinton and chose to just stay home. Now people need to stand up to the onslaught on the middle class and the rights of all. And we need to stand up to the creation of a dictatorship. His actions are not much different than Kim Jong Un. Talking about locking up political rivals is no joking matter. And him calling his critics enemies is another worrying statement.

The new administration is trying to gaslight everyone by literally lying about petty things. Who gives a damn about the crowd size of the inauguration? People want the government to focus on real issues, but here we have Trump complaining about the media being unfair when they report facts and trying to counter with some "alternative facts" (which used to just be called bullsh*t). He even made an |expletive| out of himself by bringing this up in front of a wall of fallen agents at the CIA. While these lies don't mean much now, they show that they are willing to lie about anything and that should scare the |expletive| out of everyone. And the way he's shown that every little criticism gets under his skin, how is he going to react to some big international crisis?

Our country is headed down a slippery slope and those who stand by and support that are just deplorable as the new Commander-in-Chief. History will most likely not look kindly on Trump and his minions. His historic low approval rating is likely to only go down and so is our economy and standing in the world. He's an embarrassment to our whole country and we should be ashamed that we let this happen. [youtube][/youtube]
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Well . . . I think I have behaved myself pretty well on this thread. Despite some of the wishes expressed here though, I hope to see another day. I may be dancin' on a land mine with one left, but I'm not dead yet. Ha! Thought we could use a little levity no matter how poor the attempt.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

Dang it guys I was trying to stay out of political stuff for a while! All I have to say is that women haven't lost any rights since the election or inauguration. Donald Trump can not, would not, and will not be allowed to do anything to persecute or oppress women even if he wanted to. This fear of OUR PRESIDENT has been falsely created by the left and their media pundits. Their tactics have been to scare this country--not into voting for their party's candidate--but to NOT vote for the other candidate. I know someone is going to mention "That is exactly what Trump did this election," but let's be honest. Hillary as our president is pretty scary when you think about how much danger she's put our country in already. Don't forget about the fact that the Clinton Global Initiative is shutting its doors almost instantly as the world found out she wouldn't have the secrets or power to sell to them... All in all, yes Trump has made some bone headed comments, but that is part of the reason he had his support. Yes he let some pretty dumb things slip out of his mouth, but at least they were his thoughts and not those of a teleprompter. The working class Americans are tired of the political correctness that is used by the left to label (as many of you on this forum have blindly followed the example of your liberal overlords) as xenophobic, homophobic, misogynist, racist, bigot, etc. So they did something about it, and the left only has itself to blame for it. They also had a pretty terrible candidate, but they rigged their own convention to choose her :lol: Ah well I guess I will never understand the backward thinking of liberals.
#gohawks
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

All I have to say is that women haven't lost any rights since the election or inauguration. Donald Trump can not, would not, and will not be allowed to do anything to persecute or oppress women even if he wanted to.
He's already at it!

He seems to be using the tactic of doing what he can to gag certain information, specifically reproductive information from world-wide agencies that receive certain federal funds. He's also trying to gag agencies that have information (real information, not "alternate" information) regarding climate.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

So what you're suggesting is that the Trump was elected president partially because he says dumb things and as a punishment to those who were pushing too hard at creating a fair and balanced nation?
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:So what you're suggesting is that the Trump was elected president partially because he says dumb things and as a punishment to those who were pushing too hard at creating a fair and balanced nation?

He was elected because even though this country is full of dead beats, misfits and idiots there were still just enough of us intelligent citizens to get him in! Its as simple as that. And if you want to keep on crying about how Hillary won the most votes then maybe we should go out to California and see just how many of those suspicious looking Hispanic votes really are illegal. We can do that. We would be happy to do that. Yes lets do that.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:So what you're suggesting is that the Trump was elected president partially because he says dumb things and as a punishment to those who were pushing too hard at creating a fair and balanced nation?

He was elected because even though this country is full of dead beats, misfits and idiots there were still just enough of us intelligent citizens to get him in! Its as simple as that. And if you want to keep on crying about how Hillary won the most votes then maybe we should go out to California and see just how many of those suspicious looking Hispanic votes really are illegal. We can do that. We would be happy to do that. Yes lets do that.
Haha let me clarify. He got votes for speaking his mind and not reading off a Teleprompter at rallies.
Also this reply has me laughing GRANDPASMUCKER, but it's true.
#gohawks
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

buildomaha wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:

Haha let me clarify. He got votes for speaking his mind and not reading off a Teleprompter at rallies.
I mean apparently since you don't need any evidence to claim anything these days, I'm sure. I mean who cares that there is absolutely ZERO evidence of thousands, let alone millions of illegal votes, but there is mountains of evidence of Russian interference, right?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Garrett wrote:
buildomaha wrote:
GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:

I mean apparently since you don't need any evidence to claim anything these days, I'm sure. I mean who cares that there is absolutely ZERO evidence of thousands, let alone millions of illegal votes, but there is mountains of evidence of Russian interference, right?

About the Russian hacking thing......Yes the Russians are up to no good on the internet. But you know what, we are 3 times worse then them. Yes the Russians invaded a country or two. But you know what, we invaded Iraq and Afghanistan. Now are we all going to play goodie two shoes and act and pretend to be sweet and innocent like Obama and Hillary or are we going to be honest and admit we are just as bad as them. I watched the recently released movie on "Snowden" last night. That was pretty disturbing indeed. If we are to believe Oliver Stone and Snowden we are up to our necks in cyber espionage and skulldugery ourselves. The Bush and the Obama administrations policy on internet hacking and hocus pocus has been a lie and misrepresented since 9-11. Behind closed doors their rules have been and still are there are no rules.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

buildomaha wrote:Dang it guys I was trying to stay out of political stuff for a while! All I have to say is that women haven't lost any rights since the election or inauguration. Donald Trump can not, would not, and will not be allowed to do anything to persecute or oppress women even if he wanted to. This fear of OUR PRESIDENT has been falsely created by the left and their media pundits. Their tactics have been to scare this country--not into voting for their party's candidate--but to NOT vote for the other candidate. I know someone is going to mention "That is exactly what Trump did this election," but let's be honest. Hillary as our president is pretty scary when you think about how much danger she's put our country in already. Don't forget about the fact that the Clinton Global Initiative is shutting its doors almost instantly as the world found out she wouldn't have the secrets or power to sell to them... All in all, yes Trump has made some bone headed comments, but that is part of the reason he had his support. Yes he let some pretty dumb things slip out of his mouth, but at least they were his thoughts and not those of a teleprompter. The working class Americans are tired of the political correctness that is used by the left to label (as many of you on this forum have blindly followed the example of your liberal overlords) as xenophobic, homophobic, misogynist, racist, bigot, etc. So they did something about it, and the left only has itself to blame for it. They also had a pretty terrible candidate, but they rigged their own convention to choose her :lol: Ah well I guess I will never understand the backward thinking of liberals.
I read no empathy in your post for the sincere fear of the vulnerable communities which were scapegoated during the election. I recommend you gain some perspective by experiencing the following:
1. Speak with or read a story about a journalist who was imprisoned for reporting the facts that embarrassed their government
2. Befriend a Muslim refugee and ask them about their religious obligations to give part of their salary to charities in their communities
3. Get your genitals grabbed without your permission by a dude so physically powerful that you're unable to fight back. Then you'll know what it's like to be p***y grabbed and understand a little bit more about misogyny.
4. Ask a working class white person how giving tax breaks to millionaires will help their children go to college
5. Ask a farmer how ignoring the dangers of global warming will affect their land.
6. Befriend 5 black Omahans from north Omaha and ask them to explain their feelings about crime, poverty, and the police.
7. Befriend 3 immigrants from Mexico and ask them why they're here.
8. Ask an indigenous Nebraskan about why the water protectors are so important.

You don't have to agree with us and please continue to criticize the political left--there's PLENTY to criticize. But please for your own good and for the future of this country please get some f****ng perspective; lest your arrogance cause you to see the world with blind eyes.
buildomaha
Human Relations

Post by buildomaha »

daveoma wrote:
buildomaha wrote:Dang it guys I was trying to stay out of political stuff for a while! All I have to say is that women haven't lost any rights since the election or inauguration. Donald Trump can not, would not, and will not be allowed to do anything to persecute or oppress women even if he wanted to. This fear of OUR PRESIDENT has been falsely created by the left and their media pundits. Their tactics have been to scare this country--not into voting for their party's candidate--but to NOT vote for the other candidate. I know someone is going to mention "That is exactly what Trump did this election," but let's be honest. Hillary as our president is pretty scary when you think about how much danger she's put our country in already. Don't forget about the fact that the Clinton Global Initiative is shutting its doors almost instantly as the world found out she wouldn't have the secrets or power to sell to them... All in all, yes Trump has made some bone headed comments, but that is part of the reason he had his support. Yes he let some pretty dumb things slip out of his mouth, but at least they were his thoughts and not those of a teleprompter. The working class Americans are tired of the political correctness that is used by the left to label (as many of you on this forum have blindly followed the example of your liberal overlords) as xenophobic, homophobic, misogynist, racist, bigot, etc. So they did something about it, and the left only has itself to blame for it. They also had a pretty terrible candidate, but they rigged their own convention to choose her :lol: Ah well I guess I will never understand the backward thinking of liberals.
I read no empathy in your post for the sincere fear of the vulnerable communities which were scapegoated during the election. I recommend you gain some perspective by experiencing the following:
1. Speak with or read a story about a journalist who was imprisoned for reporting the facts that embarrassed their government
2. Befriend a Muslim refugee and ask them about their religious obligations to give part of their salary to charities in their communities
3. Get your genitals grabbed without your permission by a dude so physically powerful that you're unable to fight back. Then you'll know what it's like to be p***y grabbed and understand a little bit more about misogyny.
4. Ask a working class white person how giving tax breaks to millionaires will help their children go to college
5. Ask a farmer how ignoring the dangers of global warming will affect their land.
6. Befriend 5 black Omahans from north Omaha and ask them to explain their feelings about crime, poverty, and the police.

You don't have to agree with us and please continue to criticize the political left--there's PLENTY to criticize. But please for your own good and for the future of this country please get some f****ng perspective; lest your arrogance cause you to see the world with blind eyes.
1. I haven't heard about this but I do not support any censorship and I support free speech under any circumstances. The left has done plenty to hinder free speech from not identifying radical Islamic terrorism to the accusers of the Clinton affairs disappearing...
2. Nobody has made any case about muslims themselves. It's the radical sharia law and its followers that cannot be given access to this country. If the American people are too ignorant to realize that when ISIS wrote out in words their plans to infiltrate the refugee population and attack our country when they've built up a large enough force, then we have a pretty big problem. It has nothing to do with the religion, it's the interpretation. The Bible contradicts itself on almost everything stated, the reason Christianity doesn't have these issues is because there aren't radical churches interpreting the word of god as crusades anymore. Muslims in our country have not been targeted by the president. Jihadists have. I don't see any issue with trying to stop people who hate, and want to kill us, from doing so.
3. I'm not defending Trump's private conversation 11 years ago... But it was a private conversation 11 years ago. It's not misogyny and misogyny is almost as nonexistent as racism in this country. Having a president and media who have separated us by gender, race, religion, and sexual orientation has only fueled the fire for these "Civil Rights" movements. The issues are almost nonexistent and the fear and divisiveness created by the left has left the people of this country at each other's throats.
4. Ask the working white class why they elected this president... Redistribution of wealth has never worked, and never will. It's the basis of communism. Also, the top 20% of highest paid people in this country pay over 80% of the federal taxes in this country.
5. We can not stop global warming when countries like China are doing nothing about their emissions. The president wants to create jobs and money for our country by using our natural resources.
6. Ok this is a perfect example of the ignorant left yet again. The dems have had control of the cities (for 50+ years in some cases) where black crime, poverty, and unemployment is through the roof. They have manipulated the black population into voting for them while they are ignored. Donald Trump was the only candidate this election who had any mention of the problems in the inner cities. He was the candidate with the plan for choice of education. He could have potentially gotten the black vote had it not been for the biased media. This is quite possibly your most invalid point in your reply. Trump is not racist, he has not said or done anything to oppress African Americans. What he has done is come up with a plan to help them. Oh and the black population has a smaller percentage of unarmed citizens shot by police than white people. Not backing our police is part of the reason why black on black crime has skyrocketed under Obama and the democratic mayors.
7. Trump will not do anything to harm latinos, unless they are criminals. Building a wall to prevent people from coming here without documentation is not racist. The man just wants to keep our country safe, and out of harms way of drugs. I don't think this is an issue?! The Mexican population has every right to come here LEGALLY. If you are from European or Asian descent, your ancestors most like came through Ellis island or San Fran in the west. The Mexican people in poverty has the obligation to do the same and come into our country legally. We are a country built on immigrants and without them we will not stay a growing economy. But without knowing who is in our country our cities will be out of money and violent crime increases tremendously.
8. As I said before, the man just wants to use our natural resources so we don't fall behind and reply on other people for our essential supplies.
SO, all of the things the left like to through out ( racist, misogynist, xenophobic, homophobe, etc) just don't apply. Sorry but just because he loves our country and wants to put our people before someone across the world is not an issue under and circumstance.
#gohawks
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

buildomaha wrote: [M]isogyny is almost as nonexistent as racism in this country.
Man, you really need to get out more.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

buildomaha wrote:
daveoma wrote:

1. I haven't heard about this but I do not support any censorship and I support free speech under any circumstances. The left has done plenty to hinder free speech from not identifying radical Islamic terrorism to the accusers of the Clinton affairs disappearing...
2. Nobody has made any case about muslims themselves. It's the radical sharia law and its followers that cannot be given access to this country. If the American people are too ignorant to realize that when ISIS wrote out in words their plans to infiltrate the refugee population and attack our country when they've built up a large enough force, then we have a pretty big problem. It has nothing to do with the religion, it's the interpretation. The Bible contradicts itself on almost everything stated, the reason Christianity doesn't have these issues is because there aren't radical churches interpreting the word of god as crusades anymore. Muslims in our country have not been targeted by the president. Jihadists have. I don't see any issue with trying to stop people who hate, and want to kill us, from doing so.
3. I'm not defending Trump's private conversation 11 years ago... But it was a private conversation 11 years ago. It's not misogyny and misogyny is almost as nonexistent as racism in this country. Having a president and media who have separated us by gender, race, religion, and sexual orientation has only fueled the fire for these "Civil Rights" movements. The issues are almost nonexistent and the fear and divisiveness created by the left has left the people of this country at each other's throats.
4. Ask the working white class why they elected this president... Redistribution of wealth has never worked, and never will. It's the basis of communism. Also, the top 20% of highest paid people in this country pay over 80% of the federal taxes in this country.
5. We can not stop global warming when countries like China are doing nothing about their emissions. The president wants to create jobs and money for our country by using our natural resources.
6. Ok this is a perfect example of the ignorant left yet again. The dems have had control of the cities (for 50+ years in some cases) where black crime, poverty, and unemployment is through the roof. They have manipulated the black population into voting for them while they are ignored. Donald Trump was the only candidate this election who had any mention of the problems in the inner cities. He was the candidate with the plan for choice of education. He could have potentially gotten the black vote had it not been for the biased media. This is quite possibly your most invalid point in your reply. Trump is not racist, he has not said or done anything to oppress African Americans. What he has done is come up with a plan to help them. Oh and the black population has a smaller percentage of unarmed citizens shot by police than white people. Not backing our police is part of the reason why black on black crime has skyrocketed under Obama and the democratic mayors.
7. Trump will not do anything to harm latinos, unless they are criminals. Building a wall to prevent people from coming here without documentation is not racist. The man just wants to keep our country safe, and out of harms way of drugs. I don't think this is an issue?! The Mexican population has every right to come here LEGALLY. If you are from European or Asian descent, your ancestors most like came through Ellis island or San Fran in the west. The Mexican people in poverty has the obligation to do the same and come into our country legally. We are a country built on immigrants and without them we will not stay a growing economy. But without knowing who is in our country our cities will be out of money and violent crime increases tremendously.
8. As I said before, the man just wants to use our natural resources so we don't fall behind and reply on other people for our essential supplies.
SO, all of the things the left like to through out ( racist, misogynist, xenophobic, homophobe, etc) just don't apply. Sorry but just because he loves our country and wants to put our people before someone across the world is not an issue under and circumstance.
I didn't say to analyze from afar, I said to go out and meet people and hear their perspective. You didn't follow the assignment. I grade your response an F.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Couple of questions Dave.........

Do I have to go to North O to befriend those 5 black Omahan's or could I just use a couple of black people from out here in Millard :roll:
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

It's not misogyny
Talk about alternative facts! :(
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Couple of questions Dave.........

Do I have to go to North O to befriend those 5 black Omahan's or could I just use a couple of black people from out here in Millard :roll:
That comment reminds me of another disturbing thing about Trump. He always seems to assume, in his words "The Blacks" all live in the inner cities and act as a single homogeneous group, incapable of choosing representatives and helping to formulate policies on their own, all beholden to liberal Democrats. It's a subtle form of racism to use the term "The Blacks" or "The Mexicans" or The Muslims" lumping them all into single groups incapable of individual thought. The way Trump talked to people determined who they wanted to vote for. He has a knack for offending people more than uniting them.