MediaWatchOMA and MeanStreetsOMA

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Hal Dawg
Home Owners Association

MediaWatchOMA and MeanStreetsOMA

Post by Hal Dawg »

I have been following the new @MediaWatchOMA account and the long-standing MeanStreetsOMA accounts on Twitter. The former has more than 25,000 followers and the latter more than 100,000.

Only two legitimate news media outlets in Omaha have more than 100,000 followers: @Omaha and @KETV. Do many people on here follow media accounts on Twitter? It seems like those are awfully big numbers, leading me to believe that perhaps some media are buying followers.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Re: MediaWatchOMA and MeanStreetsOMA

Post by Silverspoon »

Meanstreets is legit. I have followed and contributed for years and his followers are real. He posts everything that comes across the scanner so there's a ton of good content, so that helps to draw ppl in.
Jim Flowers rules!
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Silverspoon wrote:Meanstreets is legit. I have followed and contributed for years and his followers are real. He posts everything that comes across the scanner so there's a ton of good content, so that helps to draw ppl in.
It's also very timely. It could be 10's of minutes before KETV or other mass media outlets report on something.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Hal Dawg wrote:I have been following the new @MediaWatchOMA account and the long-standing MeanStreetsOMA accounts on Twitter. The former has more than 25,000 followers and the latter more than 100,000.

Only two legitimate news media outlets in Omaha have more than 100,000 followers: @Omaha and @KETV. Do many people on here follow media accounts on Twitter? It seems like those are awfully big numbers, leading me to believe that perhaps some media are buying followers.

I am guessing the numbers are legit. I follow twitter news media sites from where I have lived in the past as well as here and I am guessing many others do to. It is not unbelievable to me to be 100,000 plus for Omaha and KETV.

As for MeanstreatsOMA Does anyone have any idea if it one person or a group pf people running that feed? It seems like for the # of hours and the days never missed that it almost has to be more than one individual.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Man, long time since your last post Hal Dawg, welcome back.

The only reason I have a Twitter account is to follow MeanStreets. Most news sources I follow on Facebook.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

nebugeater wrote:
Hal Dawg wrote:I have been following the new @MediaWatchOMA account and the long-standing MeanStreetsOMA accounts on Twitter. The former has more than 25,000 followers and the latter more than 100,000.

I am guessing the numbers are legit. I follow twitter news media sites from where I have lived in the past as well as here and I am guessing many others do to. It is not unbelievable to me to be 100,000 plus for Omaha and KETV.

As for MeanstreatsOMA Does anyone have any idea if it one person or a group pf people running that feed? It seems like for the # of hours and the days never missed that it almost has to be more than one individual.
Their website tells you about how it works. I believe it is 2 ppl still.
Jim Flowers rules!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Silverspoon wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

Their website tells you about how it works. I believe it is 2 ppl still.

Thanks

Never looked at their web site. Will have to do that.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Hal Dawg
Home Owners Association

Post by Hal Dawg »

Coyote wrote:Man, long time since your last post Hal Dawg, welcome back.
I have been busy policing national anthem disrespect by Husker football players and getting the board of regents ready for a vote on Husker hockey!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Hal Dawg wrote:
Coyote wrote:Man, long time since your last post Hal Dawg, welcome back.
I have been busy policing national anthem disrespect by Husker football players and getting the board of regents ready for a vote on Husker hockey!
I echo the sentiment.. Long time, no see Hal Dawg..

Welcome back and don't be a stranger.. We need more of the long timers to impart their perspectives on the forum more often :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

I consider MeanStreets Omaha to be Omaha's leading news source.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Hal Dawg wrote:Do many people on here follow media accounts on Twitter? It seems like those are awfully big numbers, leading me to believe that perhaps some media are buying followers.
I have recently un-followed or in the process on un-following all media (Not just News, but Weather and Sports as well) on Facebook and now follow them all on Twitter. I think Twitter's real-time interface is way more important for all media. Seems like I would get a lot of media posts 18 hours after they posted in my facebook feed. I don't need 18 hour old news.

As far as @MediaWatchOMA and @MeanStreetsOMA, I have seen you re-tweet stuff from @MediaWatchOMA, but I just now started following them. I guess I have read the post but never actually hit the follow button. I have followed @MeanStreetsOMA for quite a while now. Its amazing all the "Little Things" that go on every single day in our community that nobody ever hears about from the big guys. I find all the real life every day |expletive| that OPD has to deal with interesting and @MeanStreetsOMA is great and pointing that stuff out.

One more point, kind of on topic... I actually seem to find more valuable tweets from the individual reporters that I do from the actual media outlets themselves. Media outlets seem to post too much junk as where the reports don't.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Not sure where to put this but since Hal Dawg started this thread and he was also @MediaWatchOMA, I figured this is as good as any.

Hal Dawg - aka Sean Weide has passed away

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/sean-we ... f7223.html
By Kevin Cole / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Sean Weide found great success melding his love of cycling with his talent for media relations, but his most prized accomplishment was being a father to five girls.

“He was their world, and they were his,” said Weide’s sister, Bridget Brooks of Omaha. “Sean called the girls his princesses.”

The 49-year-old Weide, pronounced Y-dee, was found dead Tuesday in his apartment. Brooks said her brother died from natural causes, but results of an autopsy were not immediately available.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

This is so sad..

RIP Sean Weide :( ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha Magazine quoted this thread.

http://omahamagazine.com/articles/meanstreets-omaha/
Omaha Magazine wrote: So, what makes MeanStreets Omaha so popular?

“It’s amazing all the ‘little things’ that go on every single day in our community that nobody ever hears about from the big guys,” wrote Brad Williams, posting on an eOmahaForums thread about Mean Streets in March. “I find all the real life every day [expletive] that OPD has to deal with interesting and
@MeanStreetsOMA is great at pointing that stuff out.”
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Sweet! :yes:
jag42
Library Board

Post by jag42 »

Haha they used my quote from March 25th in the Omaha Magazine article.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Looks like Meanstreets is in hot water for racist posts...
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

Coyote wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:47 am Looks like Meanstreets is in hot water for racist posts...
I saw the battle on their Twitter feed, and that a number of contributors had resigned. Any idea what was really said?
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

Padre wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:09 am
Coyote wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:47 am Looks like Meanstreets is in hot water for racist posts...
I saw the battle on their Twitter feed, and that a number of contributors had resigned. Any idea what was really said?
All of the tweets and Facebook posts have been deleted with negative messages. Yesterday morning it got really weird and bad with what they were posting and I thought they got hacked. Someone posted that the OPD sent out a memo to not follow or interact with them.

Andy who quit posted the following "Actions such as telling people you "hope they die of AIDS", "to go f*** themselves", or using derogatory racial terms became a prevailing theme overtime". It sounds like seven of there Tweeters had quit.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Trips wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:01 am
All of the tweets and Facebook posts have been deleted with negative messages. Yesterday morning it got really weird and bad with what they were posting and I thought they got hacked.
Russia if you can hear me and you have those deleted MeanStreets tweets please release them to us now. :shock:
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

It was quite a beat down the World Herald put on Mean Streets in the Sunday Newspaper. It sure seemed like the World Herald was enjoying kicking a little dirt in Mean Streets face by making the whole thing look like a ship of fools. I do find it hilarious that the handful of geeks that were the major contributors ended up pulling the "politically correct card" and pouting and quitting. I'm not picking on those geeks at all but good grief when one of them was saying that tweeting on Mean Streets made him feel like Batman :roll:
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

I do not tweet so I do not know but maybe someone who does tweet could report how Mean Streets is fairing now after all the bad pub.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:05 am I do not tweet so I do not know but maybe someone who does tweet could report how Mean Streets is fairing now after all the bad pub.
Its not on my FB feed anymore. I suspect it is not doing very well.
debradomayer
Library Board

Post by debradomayer »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:05 am I do not tweet so I do not know but maybe someone who does tweet could report how Mean Streets is fairing now after all the bad pub.
He only follows 402 ( for the area code). I was lucky to be a charter 402 club member. I'm not privy as to why things happened the way they did, but I still support him & what he does. He's lost a few followers and gained some. As for FB, he doesn't post all of his tweets to FB.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I'm surprised the owh didn't slide the phrase "carefully crafted hoax" into the story
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

NovakOmaha wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:01 pm I'm surprised the owh didn't slide the phrase "carefully crafted hoax" into the story
Very clever Novak.. Very clever :lafcry: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

100,000 followers is the magic number in the Twitter world. They were averaging about 2,000 to 4,500 new followers a month maxing out at 142,500 or so. Of the last 18 months I found two days with negative growth. May 26, 2017 they lost 11 followers and July 12th 2018 they lost 544. I'm not sure what was said on that day.

Since this went down last week they have lost about 3,000 followers.
7-31-618
8-1 -2,097
8-2 -454
8-3 -2
8-4 +35
8-5 +58
8-6 -10
8-7 +24
8-8 -6
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

I don't know much about twitter. I see it said here that if you have 100,000 followers it is considered good. I read in the newspaper Sunday that the owner tried to monetize Mean Streets and it did not work out. Was there some way he could of made much money off this with 100,00 followers?