Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Athomsfere
Planning Board

Washington Post's "You're Going Where?" - Omaha

Post by Athomsfere »

Not a ton of new or interesting things, but some more national attention:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... -in-omaha/
Even a bridge named Bob earned my affections; you can see my valentine on his Instagram account. By trip’s end, I realized that I wasn’t just crushing on the people of Omaha but on the place, too.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Re: Washington Post's "You're Going Where?" - Omaha

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

I found the article very odd. I've lived in Omaha my entire life and maybe have been to 4 of the places on the list. The intro paragraph was just a hodgepodge of names that I've really never heard of. If an out-of-towner asked me where to go in Omaha, the only place on the list I would recommend is the Old Market.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

This is a very good article.. And there are a number of other places I'd recommend an out of tower to go other than the Old Market, which in 2017, would be maybe the 5th or 6th place on my list. I'd recommend Blackstone District, Benson and even Aksarben Village over the Old Market first a first and 2nd stop..

Don't get me wrong, I like the Old Market.. And back in the 80's or 90's it would be THE place I'd recommend.. There are so many more diversified and in most cases, less expensive places to go and have fun in Omaha today.. This will improve even more once Capitol Disctric is completed.. And I haven't even mentioned the developing North Downtown area, Midtown Crossing or historic South Omaha..

In any case, as someone else already mentioned, this is more national attention for Omaha and again, I think it's a good, solid article. Certainly appropriate for a metro area of 1 million...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Cowboy, what would you recommend people to see in Aksarben Village?

Come to Omaha to see Ground Floor Guitar and Borsheims???
Also Benson should be mentioned instead of Blackstone, IMO.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Lol. C'mon..

Ak Village has multiple restaurants and options for entertainment and even a nice movie theater (locally owned).. Plus, most options are far less expensive than the "tousisty" Old Market.. New places are popping up seemingly every month in The Village.
There is even a nice open public space/park which provides a live outdoor entertainment option and a Fall Farmers Market..

Listen, it's not an entertainment Shangri-la..but it's a he!! of a lot more than visiting Subby's Parlor and Shave..or Ground floor Guitar..

Perhaps you need a more recent visit :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I agree that AV has quite a few options but nothing really sticks out as unique. It is a nice development but many other cities have things that are very similar.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Ak Village has multiple restaurants and options for entertainment and even a nice movie theater (locally owned).. Plus, most options are far less expensive than the "tousisty" Old Market.. New places are popping up seemingly every month in The Village.
There is even a nice open public space/park which provides a live outdoor entertainment option and a Fall Farmers Market..
I'm just trying to think how this appeals to somebody visiting for a few days from Cincinnati.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:Ak Village has multiple restaurants and options for entertainment and even a nice movie theater (locally owned).. Plus, most options are far less expensive than the "tousisty" Old Market.. New places are popping up seemingly every month in The Village.
I'm just trying to think how this appeals to somebody visiting for a few days from Cincinnati.
I hear what you're saying.. I'm looking at it more as another option for entertainment in a specific, concentrated dirstrict..

As it relates to providing an out of tower, from say Cincinnati Ohio, places to go that are uniquely Omaha, certainly the Old Market would be a place I'd recommend, as would Benson, Blackstone and Dundee.. and coming from that city (Cincy) which last I checked, does not have the Latino core/population Omaha has, I'd suggest historic South Omaha.. Others would be the Hot Shops art "district" within North Downtown, the entire North Downtown area, Boystown, perhaps historic Florence.. Also HDZ, Fontenelle Forest, SAC Museum, Joslyn Art Museum etc etc..

I think we'd all agree, Omaha is more than the one trick pony city some believe it is as it relates to entertainment/activity options :) ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

AK Village, and MTC would both be high on my list actually. Good dining and some nice organic entertainment activities. Namely free live concerts outdoors.

And the Old Market is great for walking around, I get asked about this picture all the time:

And as long as you go in decent weather there is a lot of fun things happening, including a great walk to Iowa.

Omaha really has a lot to be proud of, and a lot going for it (just stay East of 72nd and you'll never be bored)
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

A/V is great for QOL for Omaha citizens, but it wouldn't be at the top of my list to suggest to a visitor.

Maybe once it is built out a little more with some more entertainment options. Wasn't some new concept bowling alley rumored to be going in?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

iamjacobm wrote:A/V is great for QOL for Omaha citizens, but it wouldn't be at the top of my list to suggest to a visitor.

Maybe once it is built out a little more with some more entertainment options. Wasn't some new concept bowling alley rumored to be going in?
I think I remember something like that too. It would be nice to have some other sort of entertainment option other than the theater in cold weather.