Really Bad Storm: 6-16-17.

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

RockHarbor
Planning Board

Really Bad Storm: 6-16-17.

Post by RockHarbor »

I'm surprised I don't see any post about the recent big storm that just hit. I drove by the homes in the Capehart/Bellevue area that were hit by the F1/F2 funnels. Pretty shocking. That's probably the worst storm damage I've seen in Omaha in the last decade (unless you consider the 2008 tornado in SW Omaha worse). I was down looking at the damage on Saturday, while officials were deciding if a tornado was involved, or not. I knew looking at that neighborhood that straight line winds couldn't have done that kind of damage. I estimated an F2 struck. Today, I find out that they have a video that shows 2 funnels struck -- one being an F1, the other an F2. Pretty crazy weather... I have plenty of damage photos. Any storm stories to share? I was at work. Lights were blinking on & off. The wind was bad enough out the windows I was a bit scared. The sirens were blaring. Light poles were shaking back & forth. Tree leaves & branches were blowing all around. I estimated the winds gusted to 70mph where I was at -- at that speed, I'm very alarmed, but not frightened, like when winds reach 90+ mph. Even so, 100 mph winds were reported about a mile from me. Nature can be so powerful.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Re: Really Bad Storm: 6-16-17.

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

I was downtown for CWS. It rained. Then it stopped and there was a double rainbow. Besides the double rainbow, it was pretty normal.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is the view of a house 2 blocks up the street from my house:

We came out pretty good. Our fence got completely swept away. Some of it 2 houses down. All of our patio furniture is gone as well. Also had some shingles and roof leaks. Amazing that no one was hurt during the storm.

Here is another picture from our deck right after the storm:

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I live in the 132nd and West Center Rd area..

My residence received just minor tree damage- some branches/twigs. I was lucky. Many of my neighbors in our subdivision were not as fortunate. I did lose power for about 8 hours- from the time the storm hit Friday between 7:30-8:00pm until 3:30am Saturday when my power, thankfully, was restored..

I was lucky this go around indeed...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Thanks for your reponses! Wow... (I'm such a nerd when it comes to weather. I loved "Storm Stories" on TWC.) Omaha Corn Burner: I figured it wasnt that bad downtown. Some lady told me that we can pretty much count on a bad storm hitting Omaha day 1,2, or 3 of the College World Series, and I can see why she feels that way. It does seem that way. Skinzfan23: Oh my word, you must be in that area that had the tornado come through. That nearby house damage is unbelievable. Glad you're Ok, though. Sorry about your losses... Thanks for posting the pics. Omaha Cowboy: Sounds like you were in a better area than many. The loss of power in the area was extensive, for sure.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Here's 2 YouTube videos I found of Bellevue. I was near the Douglas/Sarpy County line when the storm struck, so it looked similar to this where I was at. This is around 7-7:30 pm (ish). Look at how dark it was! Although I feel Omaha seems to get less tornado watches & warnings then it did when I was growing up, I do feel like the storms are heavier overall (drenching rain, scary winds) when they sweep through -- almost more hurricane-like, or something. And, this storm had only a severe thunderstorm watch preceding it. No talk of tornadoes at all, nor a tornado watch. Just goes to show.... VIDEOS:
Last edited by RockHarbor on Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Here's the other video. ( I'm on a mobile phone, and it wouldn't allow me to copy it in the former reply.) I would post pics, but they are too large to post them straight from my phone, I find. The damage is surprising in that subdivision, though. It's strange to see popular, new Celebrity Homes severely damaged & destroyed by a funnel, like they are south of Capehart. There's videos on YouTube of the damage, linked to these videos I'm posting, if interested.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Thanks Rock Harbor for starting this topic. Also thanks for posting the videos. That is exactly what it was like at our house. At first, we were looking out the window and securing some small stuff outside right before the storm. Then, you could feel the pressure change and we made a made dash for the basement. Having been through 2 tornadoes growing up in CB when I was a kid, I know you don't have much time once you feel that. The only thing I did wrong was coming up twice to grab my camera and then some batteries. I noticed all the fences blowing by and I was fearing for the worst. Like I mentioned above, thankfully we don't have any major damage other than our fence being gone.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

skinzfan23 wrote:Thanks Rock Harbor for starting this topic. Also thanks for posting the videos. That is exactly what it was like at our house. At first, we were looking out the window and securing some small stuff outside right before the storm. Then, you could feel the pressure change and we made a made dash for the basement. Having been through 2 tornadoes growing up in CB when I was a kid, I know you don't have much time once you feel that. The only thing I did wrong was coming up twice to grab my camera and then some batteries. I noticed all the fences blowing by and I was fearing for the worst. Like I mentioned above, thankfully we don't have any major damage other than our fence being gone.
Well, the main thing is you're all OK. Good to hear...

I talked to several people that had their backyard items launched across the yard, or blown away. Some people had their heavy grill blow across their yard. One guy had a 400 pound item blow across his yard. Another had a trampoline blow from a neighbor's yard into theirs (in another storm that hit Omaha, a lady told me a neighbor's trampoline flew over their fence, hit their house and broke their window). I don't feel they stress enough to the public to store your backyard items away (including the patio furniture) with these storms that come through. Not only do you risk losing what you own, they also become "flying missiles" that can harm & damage.

Yet, who really knew? There was talk of severe storms rolling in later in the evening. We had a Severe Thunderstorm Watch prior to the storm rolling in. Then, it turned to a Severe Thunderstorm Warning. I could look to the west around 6pm, and it was darkening, but it didn't look all that bad yet, and I remember thinking something like: "Whatever. There's no tornado watch at all. Conditions must not be right for any tornadoes, so I won't worry." Then, it got really dark, and the winds picked up, and the sirens blew in SW Omaha (I later learned because the winds coming into the city were 90mph +, not because there was a tornado). Then, this tornado hit the Bellevue area as the storm was passing through, and probably caught the city off guard in a way. You just never know.

AND, I've passed big trees that were uprooted and toppled over alongside major streets. That's another factor: When a Severe Thunderstorm Warning is posted for Omaha, you often don't think about all the possibilities. You could be driving along a major street and have a big tree blow over right in front of you, or actually hit your car. People really need to take cover with these storms, even if there is no talk of tornadoes.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The one piece of damage I haven't seen a photo of yet... On the north side of the Platte River, about 38th Street, there is one of those giant "erector set" High Voltage Transmission line towers is crumbled in to a ball and the high voltage power lines went down in to the Platte River. Not sure you can see it from the road, but you can see it from the 3rd Tee Box at Bay Hills Golf Course.

Speaking a Bay Hills, the golf course is indefinitely closed and they revived a ton of damage. Many of the houses around the course a damaged including my Dad's. He lost about a dozen trees on his lot, some landing on the roof. We went down there Saturday and had to detour about 10 miles to get there due to a couple miles worth of snapped power poles blocking Bay Road.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Brad wrote:The one piece of damage I haven't seen a photo of yet... On the north side of the Platte River, about 38th Street, there is one of those giant "erector set" High Voltage Transmission line towers is crumbled in to a ball and the high voltage power lines went down in to the Platte River. Not sure you can see it from the road, but you can see it from the 3rd Tee Box at Bay Hills Golf Course.

Speaking a Bay Hills, the golf course is indefinitely closed and they revived a ton of damage. Many of the houses around the course a damaged including my Dad's. He lost about a dozen trees on his lot, some landing on the roof. We went down there Saturday and had to detour about 10 miles to get there due to a couple miles worth of snapped power poles blocking Bay Road.
Wow... There really is a lot of damage around town we don't really hear about (like your dad's area).

Funny, I didn't even know new houses sat destroyed & severely damaged in the Omaha area until the next day (Saturday). It's almost like the Weather Channel in Atlanta knows quicker than us locals do...and this is our own city and own neighbors. Seriously, this guy told me on Saturday "houses are missing their second story and flattened in Sarpy County." I thought "Right. Is he exaggerating?" Later that day, I couldn't believe the pictures, then I went down and saw it for myself. After the storm on Friday night, I just thought we had a soggy, fierce windstorm, and the tornado sirens were a "false alarm."

Speaking of power poles: Along Platteview Road, there is a long line of wooden telephone poles completely toppled over on their side, and occasionally you see a snapped-off stump. That alone would make me think "tornado." It is so obvious a funnel hit down there. I guess the F2 that hit the subdivision went almost to Glenwood, IA. I wonder if anybody saw it cross I-29? Here's overviews of the area: http://www.wowt.com/content/news/Two-to ... 65683.html

The weather: It always gives us something to talk about. :)
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The power lines and poles on Schneekloth Rd in Bellevue were all snapped and down as well. Crews did an amazing job repairing them and all of them were replaced by Monday afternoon. They were working from 7 am - 10 pm on Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

We are having an adjuster come out today, so maybe I will know the extent of our damage a little more. First time having to file a claim and I hope the whole process goes smoothly (or at least more smooth than a lot of people I have talked to about filing homeowner claims)
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I remember when I first saw the pictures of the extensive damage in south Bellevue, I thought there was no way straight line winds could have caused that type of damage, it had to be a Tornado.. Then we find out multiple Tornados hit the area Friday evening..

Crazy weather. Let's hope there isn't a repeat performance the next couple of days...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:I remember when I first saw the pictures of the extensive damage in south Bellevue, I thought there was no way straight line winds could have caused that type of damage, it had to be a Tornado.. Then we find out multiple Tornados hit the area Friday evening..

Crazy weather. Let's hope there isn't a repeat performance the next couple of days...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Exactly... It's just like the Jaws movies I've rewatched/watched lately, where people say stuff like: "A whale or dolphin couldn't have done this. It was a SHARK." It was so obvious straight line winds couldn't have done that to those houses. It was a TORNADO -- a whole different animal altogether. When they look at damage to determine, I read one aspect they look at is the way the debris is laying. If debris is tossed around, boards pointing in all directions, like in a swirl, then they know a tornado came through. Straight line winds don't swirl debris. Makes sense. I know what you mean... I was out at the new Costco, and it just like something was possibly brewing. Thunderheads are building, I noticed. These thunderheads can reach 70,000 feet -- over twice the height of Mt. Everest. No wonder when their anvil cloud spreads out, and starts coming over Omaha, it is like a high-up "giant mothership" coming overhead. It makes houses & buildings (even skyscrapers) on the prairie look dwarfed, so small & insignificant.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

I was surprised they didn't issue a tornado watch Friday. Models were showing an intense jet stream flowing east across Nebraska, perpendicularly hitting boundaries of high instability and dew points. Once we got into late afternoon, dew points really shot up. Local meteorologists said tornado threat was low yet Reed Timmer was chasing in the area.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

twiztid1 wrote:I was surprised they didn't issue a tornado watch Friday. Models were showing an intense jet stream flowing east across Nebraska, perpendicularly hitting boundaries of high instability and dew points. Once we got into late afternoon, dew points really shot up. Local meteorologists said tornado threat was low yet Reed Timmer was chasing in the area.
I'm surprised, too. We get tornado watches and nothing happens. We don't have a tornado watch and a twister drops down unexpectedly. (Same thing happened last April w/ that surprise funnel over Boys Town). Therefore, I'll be alert if we even just have a severe thunderstorm watch anymore. I met a local main weatherman on one of our newstations and I mentioned that the forecasts seem more "off" than when I was young. Shouldn't they be getting better at it?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

These weren't classic Supercell Tornadoes, they were spin-ups along a Bow Echo. Most of the time a Bow Echo reduces the threat of a tornado and shifts it to a straight line wind threat, so this was a fairly unusual event. It seems like we usually get a handful Bow Echos a year, but this is the first time I remember a tornado along the bow. It was a dangerous situation because unlike a lot of classic super cells, these tornadoes were completely camouflaged by the rain and nobody actually saw them.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Brad wrote:These weren't classic Supercell Tornadoes, they were spin-ups along a Bow Echo. Most of the time a Bow Echo reduces the threat of a tornado and shifts it to a straight line wind threat, so this was a fairly unusual event. It seems like we usually get a handful Bow Echos a year, but this is the first time I remember a tornado along the bow. It was a dangerous situation because unlike a lot of classic super cells, these tornadoes were completely camouflaged by the rain and nobody actually saw them.
That makes sense. These did seem hidden and inbedded in all the wind & rain -- more like spin-off tornadoes in a soggy hurricane. The storm didn't have any significant hail, I don't think, which is unusual for a tornadic storm. I don't care about anybody says: Our weather is different around here in winter & summer. Winters are obviously warmer & milder. Spring & summers seem to have less tornadic storms & major hail, yet general thunderstorms seem more heavy & fierce & angry (overall) when they do come thru. For years, I didn't hardly see any massive thunderheads, but last summer I did. In my opinion, it is sunnier overall here. It almost feels like Denver now, where we can count on the sun shining most of the time. Something is different. Is it "global warming?" Is the weather being tinkered with? (Possibly causing less hail & tornadoes to the benefit of insurance companies? Possibly making the climates in Midwest & Rustbelt cities more attractive, so the Sunbelt doesnt get overpopulated?) Why & what? Who knows... It makes me wonder if this is why forecasts seem more "off" than before.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:These weren't classic Supercell Tornadoes, they were spin-ups along a Bow Echo. Most of the time a Bow Echo reduces the threat of a tornado and shifts it to a straight line wind threat, so this was a fairly unusual event. It seems like we usually get a handful Bow Echos a year, but this is the first time I remember a tornado along the bow. It was a dangerous situation because unlike a lot of classic super cells, these tornadoes were completely camouflaged by the rain and nobody actually saw them.
This is a very good point. Very dangerous indeed..

Thankfully, only property was damaged...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Pentagon's nuke-proof 'Doomsday' planes damaged by tornado
Two of the Pentagon's specially reinforced "Doomsday" planes, designed to withstand the heat from a nuclear blast, were grounded after being damaged by a tornado, the Air Force said Friday. Two were damaged June 16 at Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska when a tornado whipped through the area with little advance warning.

The E4-B Boeing 747s, built in the 1970s during the Cold War, are essentially flying command centers that can refuel in the sky and are designed to remain airborne for days on end in times of crisis. Additionally, seven RC-135 reconnaissance planes suffered minor damage and another needed an inspection. The E-4B is a 747 that has been reinforced to protect against the electromagnetic pulse from a nuclear blast and is shielded from a thermal blast.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Speaking of supercells, the last one I remember was on mothers day in 2014. I wonder what it is around Omaha, but we rarely see rotating thunderstorms. We almost always get bow echoes.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Supercells.. Bow Echoes..

I'd like to see neither, moving forward. However geography and reality always seem to make Swiss cheese holes out of my wishes...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Let alone meteorology :;):
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Tornado Watch until 10pm! Eyes to the skies fellow Omahans, fellow Nebraskans! Thunderheads were building, so I Googled "Omaha weather", and lo & behold, I see written in chilling, alerting red-orange letters on the computer screen: "TORNADO WATCH."