Omaha Airport numbers continue to sizzle for 2005..

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Omaha Airport numbers continue to sizzle for 2005..

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

The latest numbers thru April/05 from eppleyairfield.com:

Total passengers thru 04/05: 1,271,528
Total passengers thru 04/04: 1,164,239

107,289 more passengers this year compared to the record year of 2004. a 9.2% increase..

Here's to SMASHING the 2004 record and blazing beyond 4 million passengers for 2005..

:) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

Maybe the magic 5 million mark isn't as far away as we think...
sokkerdewd
Home Owners Association

Post by sokkerdewd »

With a 9% growth rate, that "5 mil mark" will be passed in 3 short years.
sokkerdewd
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

sokkerdewd wrote:With a 9% growth rate, that "5 mil mark" will be passed in 3 short years.
And then we can talk seriously about those Eppley plans for expansion :) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
flyOMA
Home Owners Association

Post by flyOMA »

Another thing to consider is the America West/US Airways merger and how it will effect us. I think Omaha is in a select group of cities that will actually GAIN service out of this deal. Under the US Airways brand, obviously Phoenix service will continue...However, connecting the dots to East Coast hubs is an almost guarantee. The question is, which? The possibilities are Charlottle, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and LaGuardia. Unfortunately, Pittsburgh has been tried 3 times in the past and never really worked. My money is on Charlottle and Philadelphia with 50-70 passenger Regional Jets, as well as flights to Las Vegas to put the squeeze on Southwest (which is the main intent of this merger). A surprise possibility could be seasonal or weekly flights to Ft. Lauderdale. I say this because there has been some interest in the past to establish this route with an un-named airline (most likely Delta Express), but 9/11 changed those plans.

Also some more expansion notes. Frontier is back to ALL Airbus aircraft, 4x daily and no longer operates the smaller 50 passenger Regional Jets between here and Denver.

American Airlines will be adding 2 mainline MD-80 aircraft between here and O'Hare, along with the Regional Jets that have operated on this route for almost 10 years...This brings the total flights between Omaha and O'Hare to 7x daily on American alone (keep in mind Southwest and United, collectively operate 15 flights/day between them to the Chicago area already).

United Airlines (after a 5 year absence) is now operating 200-seat 757 aircraft back into Omaha to both Chicago and Denver, muliple times/day.

4 million is history this year.
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

flyOMA wrote:
American Airlines will be adding 2 mainline MD-80 aircraft between here and O'Hare, along with the Regional Jets that have operated on this route for almost 10 years...This brings the total flights between Omaha and O'Hare to 7x daily on American alone (keep in mind Southwest and United, collectively operate 15 flights/day between them to the Chicago area already).

United Airlines (after a 5 year absence) is now operating 200-seat 757 aircraft back into Omaha to both Chicago and Denver, muliple times/day.

FlyOma - Cool! Where do you get this info? I've been in Chicago just over 5 years now, so I'd love to know more about the AA thing in particular (i'm 6'4" - those regionaljets are painful!). However - United has flown 757s a lot more recently than 5 years ago - I used to fly that route all the time on 757s. IIRC, it was not reduced to the current 737s until after Sept 11th.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Great info flyOMA..

FYI-I believe flyOMA is an air traffic controller Asten. He always has good general and Omaha airline/airport 'scoop' information..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

Damn, Eppley is on fire. Too bad I don't fly out of there enough to see all the new hustle and bustle.
God created alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the world!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: FYI-I believe flyOMA is an air traffic controller
Sounds like a whole lot of fun. Too bad no tours of the tower :(
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Unfortunately as of right now I will not get to help "boost" the passanger numbers this year :cry:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

FlyOma et al - how will Northwest's bankruptcy problems affect Omaha?
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

flyOMA wrote:Another thing to consider is the America West/US Airways merger and how it will effect us. I think Omaha is in a select group of cities that will actually GAIN service out of this deal. Under the US Airways brand, obviously Phoenix service will continue...However, connecting the dots to East Coast hubs is an almost guarantee. The question is, which? The possibilities are Charlottle, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and LaGuardia. Unfortunately, Pittsburgh has been tried 3 times in the past and never really worked. My money is on Charlottle and Philadelphia with 50-70 passenger Regional Jets, as well as flights to Las Vegas to put the squeeze on Southwest (which is the main intent of this merger). A surprise possibility could be seasonal or weekly flights to Ft. Lauderdale. I say this because there has been some interest in the past to establish this route with an un-named airline (most likely Delta Express), but 9/11 changed those plans.

Also some more expansion notes. Frontier is back to ALL Airbus aircraft, 4x daily and no longer operates the smaller 50 passenger Regional Jets between here and Denver.

From what I've been reading, the Charlotte hub is questionable under the merger. Philly is an international gateway, and a huge one for USAirways. I'd bet on OMA-PHL service, if there is any expansion. Interesting about the FLL route. That airport is growing like a weed, and is becoming more popular than MIA, though MIA is still the South American gateway of choice.

FlyOMA? Any news on LUV's expansion here? BWI, LAX, TPA, etc.? I even heard a little rumor about OMA-SEA. Anything in the pipeline?
I'm not betting on JetBlue any time soon, nor Alaska. I could be wrong tho.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

What cities are MIA, BWI, and TPA?
DTO
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

DTO Luv wrote:What cities are MIA, BWI, and TPA?
I think Miami and Tampa, but I don't know BWI.
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

Baltimore-Washington International
flyOMA
Home Owners Association

Post by flyOMA »

I wouldn't count on any new airlines this year, although it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility. The growth at Eppley will be primarily with incumbent carriers adding new routes and adding capacity to existing routes.

JetBlue will not serve Omaha until their Embraer 190 jets are delivered. Even then, Omaha will still have to wait in line. There are midwestern cities higher in the pecking order than Omaha. That is not to say that JFK-OMA wouldn't be profitable, but considering JetBlue currently has NO presence in the midwest, you have to believe that they will start with the Chicago's and Kansas City's before venturing into the secondary markets like Omaha, Louisville, Oklahoma City, etc.

As far as Southwest expansion, your guess is as good as mine. Southwest is usually very tight-lipped when it comes to expansion (with the exception of the Omaha to Orlando service). If there is going to be more expansion, BWI has to be the number one possibility. This route has been speculated for years...Why it hasn't happened is a mystery, they would make a killing on this route. If it does happen, there is a very good possibility that there could be *3* carriers operating from Omaha to the D.C. area: Midwest (which has been the traditional carrier), Northwest (which has been expanding point-to-point service from midwestern cities), and Southwest. Personally, I think that would over-saturate the city pair and wouldn't be very profitable for Midwest and Northwest in the long-run, since history has shown that Southwest 9/10 will beat any airline on any given city-pair.
Dark Eyes
Home Owners Association

Post by Dark Eyes »

I'm glad to see the larger aircraft making a return to Omaha, e.g. the American MD-80s and Frontier's Airbus jets. Perhaps Continental and Delta will follow suit.

Regional jets say "small market", so the fewer of those we get, the better.
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

flyOMA wrote: American Airlines will be adding 2 mainline MD-80 aircraft between here and O'Hare, along with the Regional Jets that have operated on this route for almost 10 years...This brings the total flights between Omaha and O'Hare to 7x daily on American alone (keep in mind Southwest and United, collectively operate 15 flights/day between them to the Chicago area already).
From American Airlines - They will add one MD80 between O'Hare and Omaha starting 8/23, they will still have 5 regional jets at that time and hopefully a 2nd MD80 will follow as FlyOmaha states above. It appears that they are replacing one of the regional jets with the MD80 and decreasing reg. jets daily from 6 to 5 for a total of 6 daily flights. Still a nice win to change from RJ's to MD80's.

New Nonstop Routes Within the United States

Origin City Destination City Date Operated by

Boston Logan, MA (BOS) New Orleans, LA (MSY) 10/1/2005
Chicago O'Hare, IL (ORD) Colorado Springs, CO (COS) 6/09/2005
Chicago O'Hare, IL (ORD) Jacksonville, FL (JAX) 6/09/2005
Chicago O'Hare, IL (ORD) Lexington, KY (LEX) 5/01/2005
Chicago O'Hare, IL (ORD) Omaha, NE (OMA) 8/23/2005
Chicago O'Hare, IL (ORD) Pensacola, FL (PNS) 6/09/2005
Last edited by jjjjhskr on Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Excellent news!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Northwest - Wall Street Journal article

Post by jjjjhskr »

From an article in today's Wall Street Journal titled "Northwest Bets on Hinterlands for Survival"

"A senior Northwest executive has been assigned to each of the top seven targets in the heartland strategy: Indianapolis; Milwaukeel Madison; Green Bay, Wisconsin; Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo, Michigan; and Omaha, Neb. The executives visit their towns every frew months to call on travel agencies, corporate accoutns, Northwest employees and the local newspaper or Chamber of Commerce."

The article describes NW's strategy of developing its heartland routes to help stave off competition and notes that NW will be adding more point to point flights between cities in the region instead of having all flights go to their 3 hubs. This should bode well for more direct flights out of Eppley.

Maybe someone else can add to this discussion.
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

nwa has 26 destinations from indianapolis and 16 from milwaukee so that gives us something to look at for the future.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I wonder if the WSJ would refer to Warren Buffet's base of operations as "the Hinterlands"?

Does anyone else feel that Omaha/Eppley is being set-up/tested as a sort-of mini-hub?

-Big E
Stable genius.