Omaha Eppley passenger numbers runnin' RED HOT..

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Omaha Eppley passenger numbers runnin' RED HOT..

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

The latest through May/2005 compared to 2004..

From eppleyairfield.com:

Total passengers for the month:

May 2005: 374,073
May 2004: 337.045

An 11% increase..

Total passengers for the year through May:

2005: 1,645,601
2004: 1,501,284

144,317 more than 2004 and a 9.6% total passenger increase so far..

Smokin' :) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

And a related article about the Omaha Airport Authority's impending purchase of the Ramada Inn next door..

From the Wednesday W-H:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46& ... nd=8189702

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

An article in the OWH today about the buy-out of the Ramada touched on the possibility of expansion.
OWH wrote:Considering growth in passenger traffic, a terminal expansion is five years to seven years away "if I had to guess," Smithey said
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Smithey also said that they need to update the plan to allow for the current state of affairs, what with airline financial troubles and all.

I would guess that this means tossing out the plan for a 75 gate terminal & focusing on a more feasible addition to the current terminal. You could add gates to the current north and south satellites for a lot less $$, and keep the configuration. Also, there is quite a lot of available space at the ticket counters. Even if we did get service from Airtran, JetBlue, Alaska and Brittish Airways, there would be ticket counters and gates available.

I'd love to see upper & lower roads to split drop off & pickup, but its really ok.

By the way, take a look at the Oklahoma City and Tulsa airports web sites. They both did major remodeling projects and both look great. In addition, according to the OWH story both OKC & TUL trail OMA in passenger loads. Nice airports tho.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

They may have be bigger cities, but I think that speaks to how potent Omaha's punch is in the tier of cities. Even with Lincoln's airport were still 200,000 people ahead of OKC.
DTO
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

For total passengers, Omaha has a history of drawing larger annual airline passengers than both Oklahoma City and Tulsa..Albeit with OKC, they are really choked off by DFW being one of the largest and busiest hub airports in the US..

And I agree with Novak..Most likely down the line, a modified version of Eppley expansion is probably in the works..I don't see OMA with 75-80 passenger gates in our lifetimes at least..40 to 45 is realistically likely (up from the current 21)..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I was looking at an aerial pic of the airport last nite & there is room to expand the south sattelite farther south. You could add 6 gates easily. I really believe that 6 extra gates would serve eppley well for years to come. Given the current state of affairs in the industry I just don't see Omaha drawing a hub...heck KC tried it 3 times & couldnt make a go of it.

I'd like to hear what FlyOma has to say about this.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Novak posted:

'I'd like to hear what FlyOma has to say about this.'..

I second that..

flyOMA what's your take on the size and scope of a possible Eppley Airfield passenger gate expansion :?: ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
zedmib
Home Owners Association

Post by zedmib »

I would like to see a plan for Eppley that had 75-80 gates. I'm not sure there is enough space on the west side to put that many. A while back I sent an image of a master plan that had about 45 gates all on the east side of the terminal. To get to 75-80 gates there would need to be gates on both sides of the terminal, something like Detroit:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.20885 ... &t=k&hl=en

I think the only way to do it is to move runway 18/36 600 feet east (Alligned with its northeast parallel taxiway ).

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.30121 ... &t=k&hl=en

Keep the old runway as a parallel taxiway and expand the ramp to fit. The drawback to this is that it shrinks the amount of land at the northeast corner of the airport that could be used as a maintenance facility if we want to become an airlines hub.
To Growth! When do we get a Supertall! :mrgreen:
Zed
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

I'm happy with our steady growth this year. If it continues who knows what it will bring in 5 -10 years.
futrecndvlpr
Home Owners Association

Post by futrecndvlpr »

75-80 gates! I would like to see expansion as much as anyone else, but who is going to use all these gates? You need to have some sort of hub to accomadate that many gates and unfortunately due to the state of the airline industry, this is not a scenario of "if you build it they will come".

I have to agree with Novak, 6 gates could handle traffic for years, even decades. There are still gates empty at the airport, even the ones currently being used aren't being fully utilized. How many gates sit open for hours upon a time during the day?

Let's shoot for a few more gates and maybe a "modernization" of the terminal. I could sure go for some place to eat that is inside security. Maybe move security somewhere in that vast space of nothing on the second floor, so you can go to Pauli's without having to go back through security when your flight is delayed.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

When Omaha passes the 4 million passenger mark this year enroute to 5 million..I have little doubt in the end, we'll see a modest but significant expansion at Eppley Airfield..Most likely 6 to 20 more gates..

75-80 gates? That was part of the OAA masterplan first announced back in 1998..Masterplans are what they are..More conceptual than 'real'..Kind of like the old Casey Cassum AT40 addage 'keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars'..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I hope with the expansion they ad a customs office witch would quantify Eppley as an international airport. heck DM has one why not us?
15-17, 26, 32
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Omaha does have a customs office at Eppley.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I called the DM airport and was told that's wat is needed for Int?
15-17, 26, 32
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Right, so in this instance both OMA and DSM are designated as international airports because they both have customs facilities.
GoWest
Home Owners Association

Post by GoWest »

Oh no. This sounds like the beginning of the renaming of the airport debate again. Or was that thread on the old chamber site.
loyalomahan
Library Board

Post by loyalomahan »

pkiphd Eppley could call itself "Eppley International" if it wanted to. It meets the requirements having a customs office of its own. Fortunately Eppley administration realizes that an airport should only call itself "international" if it actually has daily commercial flights to and from international destinations. Otherwise it would look as silly as 'Des Moines International'. :roll:
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

We've been through this a million times before.

All I will say is when it keeps on coming up with numerous Omaha people that are concerned that Eppley doesn't have international in its name, that it must be one of those chamber of commerce issues that bug certain people.

We can debate the merits of having International Airport or 'Airfield' in your airports' name all day, it comes down to preference. Unless we're talking about the 'airfield' in North Platte, I would prefer International Airport if it meets the technical qualifications of an international airport previously set by the FAA.
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

Here's a good one - The Governor Preston Smith Lubbock International Airport (the Lubbock airport's new name). Can't get much longer than that one!

Eppley is fine with me, international or not.

Lubbock has a customs office because the ship cotton to other countries - not scheduled flights. I would think Eppley does some international non-scheduled flights also but I doubt that the name would make much difference to anyone who flies in.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Yeah, Ryan, but about the time Eppley adds International to its name Des Moines will get something else, like the World Food Prize headquarters or a Cheesecake Factory or a really cool science center or something and then we'll want that.

We better stick to Eppley Airfield.

Next thing you know Iowa will have its caucuses first....

But hey, we got...ummm...we got....well we got something.

Sheesh. I still insist that we call the airport Eppley-Omaha-Eastern Nebraska-Western Iowa-Metro-Intergalactic-Worldport!

I am also partial to Eppley International Energetic Interplanetary Omaha- Transportation And Destination Area. EIEIO-TADA
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Hasten the day when it is called OIA.
DTO
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

i could care less about the name as long as we get more direct flights
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I'm focused on the fact that Omaha looks to SMASH the 4 million passenger mark for 2005 en route to 5 mill..

The name discussion has been repeated over and over again ad-nauseum..

Lets focus on the positives of increased passenger traffic and growth in both flights, airlines and possible gate expansion as a by product..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

<<<<
i could care less about the name as long as we get more direct flights
>>>>

Boy, that's the truth. Call it Monkey's Butt Flyin' Wagon Park for all I care as long as I can get to Vegas in under four hours.

But Cowboy is right. As Omahans demonstrate a need for more flights in and out, the airlines will notice. As the number of direct flights - both in volume and variety of destinations - increase, it becomes that much easier to attract big name events and conventions, and thusly the snowball effect begins.

-Big E
Stable genius.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

Back on track, do you think by 2008 we will reach 5million thanks to the NCAA basketball, CWS and olympic swim trials?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

OmahaDevelopmentMan wrote:Back on track, do you think by 2008 we will reach 5million thanks to the NCAA basketball, CWS and olympic swim trials?
Good question..

I believe that IS a possibility..Maybe by then too, discount airlines such as JetBlue and Alaska Air will have also entered the OMA market..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

Post by Minneapolis Boy »

It would be great if some airport expansion/remodeling was in the midst of being done in the midst of all the '08 activities.