Fun Plex..Omaha's 'Amusement Park'..

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here is one I shot friday, not very close, but snapped it as I was crusing up L Street:

Last edited by Brad on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

Is it just me or does that look a lot like the old Galaxy from Peony Park?

[edit] - okay, that was only based on Brad's far-away one.   Looking at the fun plex site, it's certainly smaller.  Neeeevermind
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

It looks like they put it INSIDE the go-cart track.  That's kinda cool.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Asten wrote:Is it just me or does that look a lot like the old Galaxy from Peony Park?

[edit] - okay, that was only based on Brad's far-away one.   Looking at the fun plex site, it's certainly smaller.  Neeeevermind
No, it is almost the exact same coaster, a bit newer.  Its just a bunch of figure eights.

streets of omaha wrote:It looks like they put it INSIDE the go-cart track.  That's kinda cool.
They did shorten the track a bit but yep, its inside.  The line is inside also and there is a bridge across the track.
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

Brad wrote:
Asten wrote:Is it just me or does that look a lot like the old Galaxy from Peony Park?

No, it is almost the exact same coaster, a bit newer.  Its just a bunch of figure eights.
Well, it looks different on the funplex site.  The Peony one had the 3 or 4 circle spirals on each end.  This doesn't seem to.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I'm not sure what you mean by spirals... but I can certainly see 3 or 4 loops on each end.  It looks exactly like what I remember from Peony Park... although not quite as 'rickety' (which in some ways... made for a thrill in itself :D ).
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Lets hope this doesn't happen here: Roller coaster scare leaves riders hanging
CNN wrote:A dozen riders on a roller coaster spent half an hour hanging upside down -- 150 feet above the ground -- after a power outage shut down the attraction.
SychoBC
Home Owners Association

Post by SychoBC »

The worst that could happen is we are left hanging right side up about 35-40 feet off the ground. No worries.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Uh...  you take a header onto concrete from 35 feet and tell me no worries.

:;):

-Big E
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

It looks like you guys could have been in a car with me.
DTO
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I don't doubt that!

Hey folks... it's only $10 for unlimited 'dry' rides from 5-10pm on Thursday nights.  We got more than our moneys worth.  I was surprised to see the flash bulb go off on our first ride.  Yes, they have a photo booth. :)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Nice Jeff!  So how many rides did you take on it to get your money's worth?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

We went on it 3 times... along with both of the go-karts rides a few times... the bumper boats... bumper cars... the other 'spin and toss' rides.  The lines were short.... we rode on alot of stuff.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

If you look really, really, really, really ,really close at the pictures posted earlier in the thread you will see that the first picture is actually a close up of the second picture!  It has just been doctored!  

Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Heh heh.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I don't suppose it's Funplex which bought the property immediately south of theirs?

There seems to be some land development going on... some may recall there was a house sitting there... that is gone now.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:I don't suppose it's Funplex which bought the property immediately south of theirs?

There seems to be some land development going on... some may recall there was a house sitting there... that is gone now.
Funplex land is owned by KARTS INC

The property to the south is owned by VINDUSKA MARCEL J of Gretna
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

I work with some of the family of Mr. Anderson, and the activity going on may be in relation to Dwight Anderson having purchased a large portion of the land directly surrounding the area.  I don't know if it's to the north, south, east, or west, but i was talking to them and they said he just recently bought it and hopes to do something with it.  I asked if they were going to expand the water park and maybe add a coaster or 2 and they said that they are trying to do all they can without many (if any) new loans, because they still don't get quite enough attendance to offset that kind of a loan payment.  Maybe there's something more in the works that they didn't tell me, but i think they are just clearing it for now to see how things pan out before adding a ton more.  I will say, though, that they told me some of the figures they earn for company picnics (which they have a |expletive| load of, btw) and honestly, i don't see how they'd ever have an issue financing another coaster or 2.  Maybe even one with a loop in it.  But then again, their family runs it, not me :)
Go Cubs Go
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well if they only have a few bucks then maybe they could spend the few they have and class up their website.

I visited six flags last weekend and |expletive|!  They seamed to have more animals then even our zoo tucked in between some big |expletive| coasters.  Why can't we have something like that.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

MTO wrote:Well if they only have a few bucks then maybe they could spend the few they have and class up their website.

I visited six flags last weekend and |expletive|!  They seamed to have more animals then even our zoo tucked in between some big |expletive| coasters.  Why can't we have something like that.
...because Steve Minard hasn't popped his head in for a while
Go Cubs Go
freedomfighter
New to the Neighborhood

Post by freedomfighter »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

It's supposed to be a link to a picture of the coaster, but the way the site is set up you can't.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Still doesn't make any sense?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Would love to know what's going on on this property.  It may not be owned by Karts, Inc... but they put up a Funplex sign on the property... land development continues.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Too bad we don't have Midtown Charlie to go through the Council Agenda anymore...
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Trees separating the land under development and Funplex have been taken out.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

maybe they'll do 2 more coasters (or 4) and a detonator type ride.
Go Cubs Go
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:Trees separating the land under development and Funplex have been taken out.
Jeff, You figure anything out yet?  I keep meaning to go by and take a look but have not found the time.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

If your talking about the land to the south there is a very tentative plan for extra parking but no real park expansion.   They also intend to parcel off some ground for random |expletive| (carwash).

wow - you cant say carp (with an inverted r-a)?
Brad
City Council

Re: Fun Plex..Omaha's 'Amusement Park'..

Post by Brad »

Fun-Plex amusement park adding $5 million in attractions

http://www.omaha.com/money/fun-plex-amu ... ac2cf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paige Yowell / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The park will roll out the expansion over the next several years. Construction of "Makana Splash," a 40-foot-tall water playground for all ages that will be completed by Memorial Day weekend, has begun. Initial plans for the next several years include adding a six-lane “mat racer” water slide and another tower with three twisting tube slides.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Great to hear. I still wish we had a major waterpark in the metro.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

maybe they will add a little brother of this roller coaster.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Aerial Photo from Saturday, the new water playground is on the lower right. Reminds me of something at Coco-Key.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I really really wish we had a decent amusement park option as well as a true waterpark. Though if we got the amusement park, they could convert this place to more of a true waterpark.

We got to Worlds of Fun every year. Some years also to Adventureland and now Schlitterbahn. I really wish we had a true alternative here or between Omaha and Lincoln. Assuming the start up costs are what has stopped it.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I have always agreed to that statement. I can't believe that Fun Plex is NE largest waterpark. It is ok, but for an area of near 1 million residents we should have something with more of the modern slides and a much better look. Even Waterloo, IA has a nice waterpark. Also, with no major lakes nearby, you would think a developer would realize how much could be made on this if it were developed properly.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote:I have always agreed to that statement. I can't believe that Fun Plex is NE largest waterpark. It is ok, but for an area of near 1 million residents we should have something with more of the modern slides and a much better look. Even Waterloo, IA has a nice waterpark. Also, with no major lakes nearby, you would think a developer would realize how much could be made on this if it were developed properly.
I am not so sure that the Island Oasis Water Park in Grand Island doesn't offer more than Fun Plex. in terms of water park activities.

http://www.grand-island.com/your-govern ... water-park
Island Oasis offers over six acres of refreshing Family Fun! Guests can brave the waves in the 350 thousand-gallon wave pool or relax and unwind in our 750-foot lazy river. More adventurous thrill seekers will experience the force of gravity first hand when they ride one of two six-story high-speed slides! Adventurers can also attempt to tackle four giant 150-foot slides. Children will love zero depth acres that include spraying fountains and a wacky wet otter slide. Plus they can build sand castles in the sand, stroll across the lily pads, or test their skills on the log walk. Enjoy a match of sand volleyball then drop your anchor and feed the crew at our full concession and patio area.
Attachments
ShowImage.jpg
ShowImage.jpg (171.62 KiB) Viewed 2223 times
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I think that would be an upgrade over Fun Plex. I just hate how dirty Fun Plex always looks, which they would update the lazy river instead of just an oval loop.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Fun Plex has proven it's fecklessness to prosper making it one of those Omaha institutions that needs to fade away. We need every reason to get some future developer to take pity on us anything to land a REAL amusement park.
15-17, 26, 32