Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts

Post by Coyote »

Bemis Center is back on track
Omaha World Herald wrote:"The Bemis has filled a huge community role in terms of educating people about what contemporary art is about and by reaching many people in different ways," said local artist Terry Rosenberg... The Bemis Center's residency program is known all over the world, but Omahans knew little about the center's activities. "That shouldn't be true," Masuoka said. "We should be as known in Omaha as we are in Berlin or London."
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Omaha World Herald wrote:In 2002, an artist licked a 2,500-square-foot gallery floor covered in yellow frosting to explore the meaning of yellow as a cultural reference. In 2004, the center held a Valentine's Day auction featuring the performance art form known as naked sushi. Recently, a Massachusetts-based artist built an installation featuring a "house" made out of hay as a commentary on American materialism.
I'll have to say, most people I know, that ain't their cup of tea, whether they are familiar with contemporary art or not.
OmahaRules
Library Board

Post by OmahaRules »

I dunno naked girls and sushi (Minus the sushi) is my cup of tea!
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Probably why the "Performing Arts" center in Mills County is sooooo popular...... :lol:
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

icejammer wrote:
Omaha World Herald wrote:In 2002, an artist licked a 2,500-square-foot gallery floor covered in yellow frosting to explore the meaning of yellow as a cultural reference. In 2004, the center held a Valentine's Day auction featuring the performance art form known as naked sushi. Recently, a Massachusetts-based artist built an installation featuring a "house" made out of hay as a commentary on American materialism.
I'll have to say, most people I know, that ain't their cup of tea, whether they are familiar with contemporary art or not.
Yeah thats probably the reason why many people in Omaha do not have any clue about Bemis. I am sure it has more appeal from people on the coasts and in Europe, which is also mentioned in the article. I think it is too much for some people in the midwest.
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

Did anyone else attend the Bemis auction Saturday night? It was a fun event - around 500 attended. The selection of art seems to be getting better yearly (and the high end art goes higher).

I would bet there aren't many in Omaha who have any idea how lucky they are to have the Bemis and how important it is in the art world. It's interesting to know that the Bemis is probably more well known in Berlin and other world capitals than in Omaha.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

icejammer wrote:Probably why the "Performing Arts" center in Mills County is sooooo popular...... :lol:
I've seen many a great live performance there. The dedication of the performers to please the crowd is enough to take ones breath (and money) away. :)
DTO
Alt(Bayern)München
Home Owners Association

Post by Alt(Bayern)München »

I was at the auction, got outbid on one item, and was afraid to bid on another. Did you buy anything? I thought the whole thing was cool, quite an interesting and diverse crowd!
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

I bought the ceramic with the fur (odd but interesting) - tried to get a couple of Kaneko's but they went much higher than last year. It was a great time but I think they'll need a bigger space next year. Not much room to walk around. I highly recommend the event for anyone to attend.
Alt(Bayern)München
Home Owners Association

Post by Alt(Bayern)München »

Yeah it was cool.
I really liked the painting to the immediate right of the stage during the live auction.
The one with the seascape with all the smoking volcanoes & the shark fins circling.
After a few drinks I was afraid if I started, I'd get cought up in a bidding war...
and since we just built a new house and moved in, but have not sold the old house yet, I really could not afford to let that happen!
Double mortgage & double utilty bills suck!
Ironically the lady who bought "my" painting was also the one who outbid me on a small item in the silent auction, oh well, there is always next year!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Well, icejammer, you ARE from Council Bluffs. ;)

I actually remember that installation that had the floor covered in yellow frosting. I didn't actually see the guy lick it up, though.

I love the Bemis, because I love art. But it's also one of Omaha's biggest assets, especially when one considers how much an institution like that does to combat various negative stereotypes that are associated with Omaha.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

People who should know about Bemis do.

People who wouldn't know about it (nor the Joslyn) don't. People who are into art, culture...or just like to be pretentious...all know about Bemis.

Also, Bemis now has a "Band in Residency" which is Tilly and the Wall.
Last edited by Swift on Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Indeed.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Painting the city's art canvas
Sarah Baker Hansen World-Herald Correspondent wrote:Now, as it celebrates its 30th birthday, the Bemis is unveiling what's possibly its showiest project to date: a major renovation of its Old Market building at 12th and Leavenworth Streets and a major expansion to its renowned artist-in-residence program. This weekend, people can tour the first part of Bemis' $2.6 million renovation project. Five new studios for resident and visiting artists on the center's renovated third floor will be open to the public.

During the next year, Bemis will continue remodeling the 10,000-square-foot Okada building, across the street from the center. Bemis leaders hope to turn that space into a world-class studio for artists to create large-scale ceramic work and sculptures. The renovations allow the center to expand its residency program from 24 artists per year to 36.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

6 years. Fire it up, Tuna.  :mrgreen:
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

the1wags wrote:6 years. Fire it up, Tuna.  :mrgreen:
Holla!! :D

nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

New sign atop the Bemis?

quick and dirty...

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Is that on some sort of wooden rack?
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Brad wrote:Is that on some sort of wooden rack?

Yeah its old style like the City View(Rorick) sign.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Ok, I saw it.  It needs to be painted or something, it sticks out like a sore thumb in the day.  Do you think they got a permit for that?  Seems like something the old marker would fight?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It is one of their current art exhibitions as far as I understand.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Wooden Rack? No sign up there has been on a wooden rack...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.bemiscenter.org/art/exhibiti ... akers.html
Jason Manley’s (AIR 2005) drawings and installations compact the language and forms of advertising into off-kilter beacons. Manley’s monumental icons are open-ended and speculative propositions that trump the gamesmanship and diversions of conventional public messaging. For Placemakers, Manley imagines the Bemis Center as a locus of collective possibility and personal hope.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

wow, i was under the impression it was a scaffold setup. well that's a bit cheesy.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Jason Manley’s (AIR 2005) drawings and installations compact the language and forms of advertising into off-kilter beacons. Manley’s monumental icons are open-ended and speculative propositions that trump the gamesmanship and diversions of conventional public messaging. For Placemakers, Manley imagines the Bemis Center as a locus of collective possibility and personal hope.
Manley also "borrowed" the BELIEVE idea, font and all, from Baltimore's civic campaign:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-0 ... c-campaign
Stable genius.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Reminds me of some of the old hotel signs.....

I think there is still one like this in downtown KC too....can't remember the name of the building. Edit: It's the Western Auto sign/building in KC...saw it one of Brads recent photos.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Anyone know what's going on with the 6 huge water tanks along the north side of this building?  That's several thousand gallons of water storage...  There are a couple of large PVC pipes routed up the side of the building to the top floor.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Ben wrote:Anyone know what's going on with the 6 huge water tanks along the north side of this building?  That's several thousand gallons of water storage...  There are a couple of large PVC pipes routed up the side of the building to the top floor.
Probably rain water collection which can be used to flush toilets, irrigation, or other non-potable uses. Or in that context, it could be claimed to be art!

1" of rain on 1 acre = 27,000 gallons of water, I've heard.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Hopefully they get grandfathered in. Many states, while others already are, making the collection of potable rainwater, illegal.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

S33 wrote:Hopefully they get grandfathered in. Many states, while others already are, making the collection of potable rainwater, illegal.
Which is extremely stupid! I don't know how they can justify passing laws like that.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

S33 wrote:Hopefully they get grandfathered in. Many states, while others already are, making the collection of potable rainwater, illegal.
Not an issue here.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

the water tanks, btw, are a part of a new installation where they're going to spray over the roof to create some sort of semi-permanent rainbow.
Or so I hear.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Please tell me these tanks and pipe are TEMPORARY!!!!

I need to get back down there with my camera and get some photos.  This instillation looks Hideous!!!  Do they even have a permit to build this thing.  I can't believe the city were ever allow this.

They have huge pipes sticking straight out the side of the building and down to these huge tanks just sitting in the alley!

It looks AWFUL!!!  
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Brad wrote:Please tell me these tanks and pipe are TEMPORARY!!!!

I need to get back down there with my camera and get some photos.  This instillation looks Hideous!!!  Do they even have a permit to build this thing.  I can't believe the city were ever allow this.

They have huge pipes sticking straight out the side of the building and down to these huge tanks just sitting in the alley!

It looks AWFUL!!!  
Calling it Art = Leniency.  Normal laws do not apply!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Per Bemis' facebook page.
Today, we're excited to officially announce that Michael Jones McKean's The Rainbow will be launching this summer. Twice per day with clear sun, for 20 minutes each, a rainbow will appear above the Bemis Center’s roof in downtown Omaha. The rainbows will be created using sunlight, renewable energy and 100% captured rainwater.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Now that is cool!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

That is effing sick!
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Here's some more information I found about it:
http://www.bemiscenter.org/art/exhibiti ... oject.html
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Whatever.  That happens over The Max most nights.  In the dark.  Without water.
Stable genius.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Sprinkler rainbows are a government conspiracy anyways.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum