Oldest DQ in Country to Close

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

icejammer
County Board

Oldest DQ in Country to Close

Post by icejammer »

Just a sign of the ever-changing times. 10th Dairy Queen ever built and oldest still in service....

Sale of nation's oldest Dairy Queen in service would mark end of an era
"I'm selling the land and the building, not the business," owner Doug Oshlo said. "Our goal is to move the business to another location."
The existing store was the 10th Dairy Queen built in the country and the oldest one still in service among more than 5,000 Dairy Queen locations. The property for sale includes 10,575 square feet along 88 feet of West Broadway frontage. The asking price is $250,000.
. . .and he also would like to move the store further from his other operation at 32nd and West Broadway.

"I also know the new store, properly set up in an east-end location, would be a better situation for serving the people of the eastern part of Council Bluffs," Oshlo said.
My guess for the new location...along the new Beltway alignment near the new housing developments out east (although there are a few spots along Kanesville on the east side that would be good sites as well).
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Calibraskan
Home Owners Association

Post by Calibraskan »

Too bad this has to go.....The building, and especially THE SIGN, appear to have a really 'vintage' look. It would be great if they could refurbish & relocate the whole package to a more 'touristy'/ walk-up friendly location, like the area around Bass Pro or historical downtown CB.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I agree it would be nice to have that around the Bass Pro area, things like those are much needed around high volume areas of visiters and the nearby I-80
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I think Warren Buffet should buy it and move it to his front lawn. He liked the company so much he bought it, so why not make a few more nickels selling dilly bars on Farnam?
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

I guess this will leave the title of "world's oldest DQ" to a small walk-up only franchise that sits in a parking lot in Roseville, Minnesota near the northeast corner of the intersection of Lexington and Larpenteur Avenue. That franchise is #11. So not only will the town of Roseville have the oldest DQ, but they also have the oldest Target store, which sits at Snelling and County Road B to the north of the Har-Mar Mall.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Calibraskan wrote:Too bad this has to go.....The building, and especially THE SIGN, appear to have a really 'vintage' look. It would be great if they could refurbish & relocate the whole package to a more 'touristy'/ walk-up friendly location, like the area around Bass Pro or historical downtown CB.
Not a bad idea, at least with the sign on a new (but vintage) building. The existing building....tear the piece'o'k-rap down.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

This confirms the rumors that had been swirling for awhile once the for-sale sign came down:

Dairy Queen to become Jimmy John's
The sign is gone but the memories will never fade.

The Dairy Queen at 1634 W. Broadway has been sold to Simmonds Restaurant Management of Omaha, according to Doug Oshlo, the building's former owner.
Paula Glissman, a spokeswoman for Simmonds Restaurant Management, said the company is planning to build a Jimmy John's gourmet sub shop on the property and hopes to begin construction before the snow flies.

"I think it will be a nice presence in the redevelopment of Broadway," she said.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Update on Jimmy John's - the shell of the building went up this week, so shouldn't be too much longer before the opening.  Still no "official" word on this franchise relocating elsewhere in the Bluffs.

--William Jennings Bryan