University of Nebraska Medical Center - News

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Raraavis
Library Board

Post by Raraavis »

Having the University of Iowa and the University of Neb. med schools so highly regarded is great for the region.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Yeah and I wonder if a healthy rivalry may be brewing.
15-17, 26, 32
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I know a girl originally from Boston who now lives in SF who is really interested in going to grad school at UNMC.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Good for her, it’s an awesome school from what I hear from their graduates and their always glad they went there.
15-17, 26, 32
jcitta
Home Owners Association

Post by jcitta »

UNMC had their ground breaking ceremony for their new education building today. When I was walking out of class the channel 6 news van was there, so i would guess this story will be on the news tonite.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

^Thanks for the head up. I'll be watching tonite.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

UNMC Breaks Ground For New Classrooms
The 134,000-square-foot building will be located just south of the college of pharmacy. It's expected to be completed by the fall of 2008.
Last edited by Coyote on Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

UNMC Set For Expansion
An interlocal agreement between UNMC and the city would bring improvements to the intersection of 42nd and Leavenworth, and convert 42nd street from four lanes to two lanes with a turning lane between Leavenworth and Harney Streets. The vote comes on the same day as UNMC broke ground on a new health education building near 42nd and Emile Streets.
Street Improvements
"The council certainly supports public works and the Med Center on what they're trying to do here -- improving pedestrian safety by narrowing the number of lanes," said Omaha city councilman Jim Vokal.

"Calming 42nd Street becomes a very important part of making this a campus and having some identity when people come here," said Don Leuenberger, V.C. Business and Finance.
Last edited by Coyote on Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

MTO
City Council

bye bye caffeine dreams

Post by MTO »

bye bye caffeine dreams

word is UNMC want's to turn it into a parking lot....
:cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

oh you have got to be kidding! I thought caffiene dreams was far enough off saddle creek that it wouldnt be affected? This would be a major loss for people in midtown
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

your telling me. maybe because it in an area that without that building it would make a parfect lot.
i feel like a hippy more and more
15-17, 26, 32
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

jeff sure is behind on his emoticons

*update your php!!!!
15-17, 26, 32
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

I get mine from here:
http://emoticons4u.com/
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

yeah you see that we have to import our own waaaah
15-17, 26, 32
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

sad!!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I remember when Caffiene Dreams used to be 3 Cheers Lounge back in the late 80's/mid 90's..

Lets indeed hope it's demise dosen't happen anytime soon..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
w8ing
Human Relations

Post by w8ing »

I'll go back to quoting the same song i did when indian hills crumbled... they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

How fitting :!:
15-17, 26, 32
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

What a sick joke it would be if that building got torn down for a parking lot. Not only should those parking lots be being used for INFILL!!!!, but if it were to be a UNMC parking lot, it could certainly co-exist with Caffein Dreams.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I've sniffed around this one for the past several weeks and none of my 'sources' have heard of the potential demise of Caffiene Dreams..

Perhaps Jakes's source was mistaken..

I sure hope so..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I honestly hope so Lou, but I got it from some property/business owners around MTO.
15-17, 26, 32
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I can see why you'd want to get rid of this eyesore:

-Big E
Stable genius.
craychek
New to the Neighborhood

sad

Post by craychek »

if they got rid of caffiene dreams that would suck. However it's not out of the realm of possibility. I mean look at what creighton is doing. They are buying up everything around them to build stuff
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Oh yeah UNMC is buying up tons of |expletive| too. Just watch if saddle creek is ever converted I bet UNMC buys up 10 more block at least.
15-17, 26, 32
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

The photo posted by Big E perfectly shows how little space CD takes up. It can EASILY co-exist.

Not only that, the photo shows the need for INFILL on that land, not a new parking lot.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Infill definitely! You see this old beautiful structure with to huge open lots on both sides. Doesn’t make much since to me.
15-17, 26, 32
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Do you think that building was BUILT by itself on a corner with empty space around it in 1900? Not hardly. That's another example of Omaha's "redevelopment" plans.

-Big E
Stable genius.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Big E wrote:Do you think that building was BUILT by itself on a corner with empty space around it in 1900?
-Big E
No never did why?
15-17, 26, 32
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

MTO wrote:I honestly hope so Lou, but I got it from some property/business owners around MTO.
We'll just keep our fingers crossed that they're wrong on this one..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I can't imagine this to be true.

Does UNMC even have any sizeable parking lots right now?
jcitta
Home Owners Association

Post by jcitta »

They have three sizeable garages, plus the students all park off 40th street on a ground lot. But with them building the second DRC they wont have enough parking for all the new employees. One of the three lots is only for patients, the other two for the Doctors. They will need to plan for more parking, but I have not heard of anything about taking down caffeine dreams.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

According to my source who is a "scientist" at UNMC, they (UNMC) has already bought CD. Apparently it is all part of the rerouting of Saddle Creak. And we've heard on here that if it all happens that UNMC will throw up hi-rises left and right on the other side of the creak. and it just so happens CD is right in that path. So why is it so hard to believe after we all know about the destination midtown...
15-17, 26, 32
midtown charlie
Human Relations

UNMC research funding hits record high

Post by midtown charlie »

Latest info from their website:

In a year in which many academic health science centers felt the sting of cutbacks in research funding from the National Institutes of Health, UNMC had its greatest year ever, bringing in nearly $80 million during fiscal year 2005-06, an increase of nearly 10 percent over the previous year's record high of $72.5 million.
The U.S. Department of Commerce Bureau of Economic Analysis estimates that for every $1 million of research funding, 33 new jobs are created. Using this formula, Dr. Rosenquist said UNMC's research enterprise is responsible for more than 2,600 jobs.
One of the reasons for Dr. Rosenquist's optimism is the proposed addition of a second research tower adjacent to the Durham Research Center.

The 252,179 gross square feet building will be nearly identical to the Durham Research Center, which opened in 2003. As with the Durham Research Center, funding for the $74 million second research tower will come primarily from private fundraising efforts. Completion of the second tower is expected by winter of 2008.
A groundbreaking ceremony will be held Aug. 8 for the second research tower. Watch UNMC Today for more details on the groundbreaking.

http://app1.unmc.edu/publicaffairs/toda ... match=2882
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

That's spectacular!! I hope they can keep doing amazing things over there.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Med Center Celebrates 17 Heart Transplants
First Year Celebrated Since Program Revived

KETV wrote:A year ago this week, the Nebraska Medical Center resumed heart transplants, and the hospital has 17 thriving patients to show for it.

The hospital's heart transplant program was restarted under new leadership last fall after going dark in 1999. That process began early the previous year when noted cardiologist Dr. Deepak Gangahar was brought on board, and was set back when Gangahar resigned in December. Now, Quader is part of a team of surgeons who were recruited to restart the program.
Coyote
City Council

University Medical Center's Economic Impact

Post by Coyote »

University Medical campus provides economic shot in the arm
Omaha World Herald wrote:In a report on a new study that links improving health with creating wealth, the two medical partners say their economic impact on the state tops 17,000 jobs and $1.5 billion a year, plus providing the added benefit of more productive citizens.

The study quantifies, for the first time, what he and others have been pointing out in recent years: The medical campus is a major driver of the economy of Omaha and Nebraska.

Maurer said the report will illustrate the value of the medical campus during discussions of state tax support and will bolster efforts to expand the campus.

• 9,500 people, the fourth-largest employer in Nebraska behind
Offutt Air Force Base with 11,500, Tyson Foods with 11,000 and Wal-Mart with 9,755.

• Another 7,600 people indirectly through programs and spending.

• Annual payroll of $628.3 million, plus another $688.6 million in indirect economic impact as employees spend their wages on goods and services.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Having just commented on the Lincoln Verizon jobs thread, in a less enthusiastic manner... I can truly say, this is one of Omaha's few REALLY outstanding job creation stories.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »