University of Nebraska enrollment news not all bad

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

University of Nebraska enrollment news not all bad

Post by eomaha »

UNO drawing in more freshmen

In the university recruiting game, Omaha is having more success finding freshmen than Lincoln, fall enrollment figures show.

Freshman enrollment increased 6.7 percent at the University of Nebraska at Omaha, as it added new campus housing that made the school more attractive to traditional freshman students.

In contrast, freshman enrollment at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln dropped by 11.2 percent, according to figures released Wednesday. Among the possible causes: rising tuition, which prompts more students to start in community college; and a decline in the number of foreign students. Overall enrollment declined at both campuses, although UNL's drop was steeper.

UNO Chancellor Nancy Belck said Thursday that the increase continues a trend toward more traditional students choosing the university.

"This has happened despite budget cuts in our recruiting," Belck said.

At the same time, UNO's overall enrollment dropped 1.2 percent from 13,997 last fall to 13,824 this fall, the second year of decline after four straight years of increases.

Two national trends have affected the overall enrollment, Belck said.

One is the drop in the number of international students as national security measures make it harder to cross U.S. borders.

The other is the nationwide drop-off in the computer science industry, causing a 12.1 percent decline in enrollment in UNO's Information Science & Technology Department.

The freshman drop-off in Lincoln, which contributed to a total enrollment drop of 3.4 percent to 21,792, left UNL administrators looking for causes and vowing to stop the slide.

UNL registered the biggest overall drop among the university system's four campuses. The NU Medical Center was the only campus to post a percentage increase.

At UNL, the biggest decline was in new freshman enrollment, where this year's class of 3,266 is 413 fewer than the number enrolled last fall.

University officials said they planned to conduct surveys to determine specific causes for the decline.

"There is good news and bad news in the freshman enrollment," said UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman. "It is the most academically prepared class we've ever had, and increasing diversity is very good news."

The average ACT score of the incoming UNL freshmen jumped from 24.4 to 24.8, the largest one-year increase since the current admission standards were instituted in 1997 and well above the state average of 21.7.

Ethnic minorities comprise 9 percent of the freshman class, compared with 5 percent in 2002.

"But I am disappointed in the decline in overall numbers," Perlman said. He attributed the reduction in part to increasing costs and a perception that a university education might be unaffordable.

National statistics indicate that community colleges are gaining a bigger share of total postsecondary enrollment. Preliminary figures indicate that Metropolitan Community College in Omaha will have a slight fall enrollment increase.

The university, Perlman said, needs to sell Nebraskans on the value of an education at a four-year research institution. It also needs to explain better the different resources available to help pay for an education.

NU tuition rates went up 15 percent this year after increasing 10 percent each of the previous two years. NU regents have already approved a 12 percent tuition increase for next year.

UNL also will recruit more strongly in South Dakota and Iowa as well as in new markets in Chicago, Minneapolis, Denver, Dallas and St. Louis.

Overall, the four-campus NU enrollment was down 898 students from 45,800 last fall to 44,902 this fall. The Kearney campus held steady. The NU Medical Center in Omaha had a 1.4 percent increase, to 2,904 total enrollment.

UNK experienced an increase in freshman enrollment for the second year in a row. "We're not only attracting more freshmen," said UNK Chancellor Doug Kristensen, "we're attracting high-quality freshman students."

Enrollment at UNMC increased by 39 students, to 2,904.

"Some decline in enrollment might be expected given the demographics of Nebraska and the budget cuts of recent years," said NU President J.B. Milliken. "However, we cannot be complacent. We can do better, and the chancellors and I will work together to increase enrollment."

NU Regent Chuck Wilson of Lincoln said extended periods of reduced enrollment could force the university to downsize.

"Empty seats mean lost tuition revenue, and the university has fixed costs that are independent of enrollment," Wilson said. "We would have to absorb those costs."

He said increases in need-based aid and recruitment of out-of-state students could help mitigate the declines.

"I hope we can find solutions," Wilson said.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Yeah!!! People are finally starting to "get it". :)

"Among the possible causes [for declining enrollment at UNL]: rising tuition, which prompts more students to start in community college; and a decline in the number of foreign students."

They forgot "Lincoln sucks." That's the reason I left :)
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Check out Creighton...
Creighton draws from city, campus progress

With campus and neighborhood improvements as attractions, Creighton University this fall recorded the second-largest freshmen class in its 126-year history.

The influx of 970 new students - 3.6 percent more than last year's freshman class - elevated total enrollment at the Jesuit school to a record 6,716 students.

The increases are due in part to a snazzier campus and dramatic improvements in downtown Omaha - including the Qwest Center Omaha - that appeal to students who travel to check out the school, said enrollment manager Don Bishop.

"There is a sense of momentum and quality that is creating a higher level of excitement," Bishop said.

Creighton has made numerous campus improvements in recent years, including a soccer stadium, landscaping enhancements and the dedication this year of new apartment-style residence buildings for upperclassmen.

The enrollment announcement comes a day after the University of Nebraska reported a 2 percent overall decline in enrollment and a 11.2 percent drop in freshman enrollees at the Lincoln campus.

Bishop said Creighton has tried to involve students, faculty and alumni in encouraging high school graduates to consider attending the institution.

"We've energized everybody in the concept of recruiting students," he said.

Visits to the Creighton campus by high school seniors have increased by 27 percent over two years ago.

Of this year's freshmen, 36 percent come from more than 300 miles from Creighton, while 38 percent are from Nebraska. Forty-two of the 970 new students are from Hawaii ?!?.

Creighton's largest freshman enrollment was 989 in 1979. Total enrollment has increased each of the last five years.

Bishop said 17 percent of the new students are ethnic minorities, marking progress in Creighton's goal to have a more diverse student body.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Ya know, I saw one of those Hawaiian cars last week driving into a Creighton lot. I wonder how much it cost to get her car from there to here.
scraper
Home Owners Association

Post by scraper »

Hawaii is the one of the top 5-6 most represented states at CU. It traces back to WWII when Hawaiians were being discriminated against because of their Asian ancestry and being denied admissions to alot of schools. CU made an effort to not only admit, but actively recruit Hawaiians. Thus, there is a lot of loyalty on the Islands for what CU provided for their grandparents.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Yeah!!! People are finally starting to "get it". :)

"Among the possible causes [for declining enrollment at UNL]: rising tuition, which prompts more students to start in community college; and a decline in the number of foreign students."

They forgot "Lincoln sucks." That's the reason I left :)
Right On!

I think that as Omaha grows more cosmo Omaha will start to attract those students who want the urban experience along with the college experience. UNL is a security blanket school. UNL. The football team with a school. :P
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Hahaha, YES, DTO Luv!

One of the things I found most funny (and sad) about UNL, is that it actually tries to look at itself as an "Urban Campus".....Hahaha, what a joke! Sure it buts right up against Lincoln's bar and drunkenness district (aka "downtown"), but the attitudes of the majority of students and faculty, as well as most of the people actually living in the town, couldn't be more of a contrasting juxtaposition to the "Urban Campus" notion.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

The Creighton campus is really developing and melding into an urban atmosphere in downtown which will attract a more diverse student base. That is always good for Omaha. I have actually seen quotes from some of the east coast recruits and freshman class at Creighton say that "Omaha was like a regular city".

I guess thats a compliment coming from our friends from the east!
Last edited by projectman on Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

When my mom left Nebraska City back in '84-'85 she had considered going to school in Lincoln but found the place to be to small town minded for her. She was determined to never live in a small town again so it came down to Omaha or KC. Luckily for me she chose Omaha.

When I talked to some of the kids at my job who just graduated or will graduate, many always considered UNL over UNO or CU. One UNL hopefuls plans were shot down when she found out how much it would be, so is instead gong to Penn State. I am trying to talk my best friend into going to UNO instead of UNL for music next year. I about shot myself in the head when he said," but UNL is the only thing that gives our state any recognition." Sad, but to an extent true. People here are brouhgt up to think there is nothing but UNL. UNO maybe smaller in enrollment but it is by and far better than UNL. I'm taking a break this year but will probably try to go to UNO next year for something.
DTO
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

I graduated from UNO in 86 and proud of it! At that time the Business College was very well respected. Not sure how it rates today but with the Keiwit Technology Center and dormitories I think the school has a bright future.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I think you're absolutely right, DTO.

It has perplexed me for years, but for some reason, young people in Nebraska seem more likely to base their opinions OF THEIR OWN STATE on what people TELL them, in stead of THEIR OWN EXPERIENCE. It is just absolutely baffling to me.

But like I've been saying, as Omaha continues to grow, and urban perspectives become more and more prevailant in the state, I think, I hope, we will start to see changes. In many ways I think we already are.
nebugeater
City Council

Re: University of Nebraska enrollment news not all bad

Post by nebugeater »

2017 Enrollment is up for UNL to a record level for the third straight year.
The University of Nebraska-Lincoln announced that fall 2017 enrollment reached 26,079 students, exceeding the previous enrollment record of 25,897 that was set last year.
The largest incoming freshman class in the university’s history drove the record enrollment. There are 4,905 first-time freshmen at Nebraska this fall, surpassing last year’s entering class of 4,860.
http://news.unl.edu/newsrooms/today/art ... ight-year/
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

As a side note, some of the discussion from the early days of the forum in this thread..crack me up :lol: ..

Part of me really misses those days..and those guys...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:As a side note, some of the discussion from the early days of the forum in this thread..crack me up :lol: ..

Part of me really misses those days..and those guys...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I agree completely and that is the reason when I searched to see if there was a thread that this fit, and found this, I had to bring it back to life.

What really struck me was the Streets comment from Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:15 pm about the DT scene. How many people today would like to have the Lincoln Rail yard scene around the Clink!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!