Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:
DTO Luv wrote:I was jogging
:shock:
Things Change when you are "In Love"... :;):

You know if you jog 10 miles and then go to Spaghetti Works and get Beer Cheese, Alfredo, Sausage, and Meatballs on you pasta, you jogging was pointless...
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Brad wrote:
Big E wrote:
Things Change when you are "In Love"... :;):

You know if you jog 10 miles and then go to Spaghetti Works and get Beer Cheese, Alfredo, Sausage, and Meatballs on you pasta, you jogging was pointless...
I thought that was the point...jog so you can eat what you want...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Within reason...
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Big E wrote:
I mean I was being chased by the police! :) You can actually ask Alfred the next time you see me. He saw me.

Yes "love" is part of it. I really crapped out though during my birthday celebration from April 16th - May 5th.
DTO
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

One should never diet on one's birthday, or during your 2 week birthday celebration.  That is just wrong!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We attended the Grand Opening of the Sculpture Garden today.  The place was very busy.  It is an awesome addition to Omaha's cultural landscape, and something we have been sorely lacking all these years.  

I predict that we will soon be seeing new photos of the garden with the museum, Central H.S. and other nearby buildings in the background.  Come on now, all you photographers.   Let's see you do your thing!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote:We attended the Grand Opening of the Sculpture Garden today.  The place was very busy.  It is an awesome addition to Omaha's cultural landscape, and something we have been sorely lacking all these years.  

I predict that we will soon be seeing new photos of the garden with the museum, Central H.S. and other nearby buildings in the background.  Come on now, all you photographers.   Let's see you do your thing!
I wanted to go, but I had a show all weekend.  If I did not have a show, I would have hit that, taste of Omaha, Sand in the City, the zoo, and the Royals game on Saturday....
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Last edited by Coyote on Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That's Awesome!  Great Shots!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Thanks.  Great work.  It is also cool to photograph it from the Joslyn steps.
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

Very  nice pics, thanks
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I parked the car at 10:55 pm, set up the camera, snapped this one pic when a security guard pulled up and said that garden will be closing at 11...  so this is To Be Continued!

windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Great photos everyone, that place really looks nice.
where the corn meets the concrete
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

The night photo is great! I'm looking forward to more.

Man. While I'm happy they've illuminated Central High School at night, I hate that it's just flooded with light. Some accent lighting would be much more tasteful.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There is a 7 page spread in "Landscape Architect"  www.landscapeonline.com on the Josyln Sculpture Garden with a bunch of photos by Omaha Photographer Tom Kessler.

Here is the cover of the magazine.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I went to the sculpture garden last night about 8 or 8:30 and was very disappointed....  Half of the lights seemed to be burned out and the reflecting pool was almost empty!  Its been on my photo "to do list" for a while, I guess I should have not waited.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Well, it won't cost much to take a trip to the museum for the next few years.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Well, it won't cost much to take a trip to the museum for the next few years.
Wow, that's cool it will be free for the next 3 years.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Well, it won't cost much to take a trip to the museum for the next few years.
Wow, that's cool it will be free for the next 3 years.
As per the article the Foundation paid for 3 years but the museum stated they will find a way to continue beyond the 3 year prepaid. It's also not 100% free, there will be an admission charge for special touring exhibits and will on donor memberships.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

This is a great gift to the people of Omaha.
Coyote
City Council

Re: The Joslyn Art Museum

Post by Coyote »

Iowa West Foundation aids Joslyn Art Museum's repairs

I haven't heard more about this, but the Joslyn is undergoing $1,000,000 repairs/renovation.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Just did Joslyn's In Living Color tour today. So cool to see Warhol's work in town, Marilyn Monroe across from Mao...
bluecollartechworker
New to the Neighborhood

Post by bluecollartechworker »

I saw this too. Josef Albers was featured with Warhol as well, I think his work was called Homage to the Square. Another artist there was Stella. Not as many pieces as I remember from the Poseidon exhibit last year, which was awesome with the giant trident, but it was worth the $10.
If you see ten troubles coming down the road, you can be sure that nine will run into the ditch before they reach you.

Calvin Coolidge
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I enjoyed the show a lot.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Kiewit posted two awesome pictures on their facebook.

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... ion-Omahas
ConAgra Foods, Inc. (NYSE:CAG) announced today that it plans to donate its corporate collection of nearly 600 original Currier & Ives prints to the Joslyn Art Museum, in Omaha, Nebraska. The prints represent a remarkably expansive pictorial documentation of the post-Civil War republic before the widespread use of photography.

“We’re excited to present ConAgra’s rare Currier & Ives collection to Omaha’s Joslyn Art Museum so that the entire community and visitors from all over the world can enjoy these historic works,” said Sean Connolly, president and chief executive officer, ConAgra Foods. “There is no better home for this artwork where it will be properly cared for and maintained in a professional, sustainable manner.”

Connolly added, “This donation is just one of the ways that we will continue to support the Omaha community, home to more than 2,100 of our valued employees.”
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That's interesting. I didn't know ConAgra had an art collection.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Brad wrote:That's interesting. I didn't know ConAgra had an art collection.
They bought Beatrice Foods. They were inventorying a factory and in a storage space were dozens of Currier and Ives originals bought when they were new and then stored away after their marketing role ended. They were forgotten. Luckily they survived without conservation all these years.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

There is some potentially enormous news for the museum. Apparently they are going to acquire 50 works from the Phillip G. Schrager collection. Depending on which works they are, the importance of this gift could be difficult to overstate. If the gift includes the works by Rothko and de Kooning and Mangold, this would be bigger than the reattribution of the Rembrandt painting. The status of the Joslyn's collection would skyrocket. Whatever the gift includes, it will greatly improve the quality of the modern and contemporary art collection, but the addition of those works would be major news internationally among art enthusiasts.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Professor Woland wrote:There is some potentially enormous news for the museum. Apparently they are going to acquire 50 works from the Phillip G. Schrager collection. Depending on which works they are, the importance of this gift could be difficult to overstate. If the gift includes the works by Rothko and de Kooning and Mangold, this would be bigger than the reattribution of the Rembrandt painting. The status of the Joslyn's collection would skyrocket. Whatever the gift includes, it will greatly improve the quality of the modern and contemporary art collection, but the addition of those works would be major news internationally among art enthusiasts.
This is a huge deal. After Schrager died, I'd read an article somewhere about the collection being auctioned off by his survivors. The Schrager Collection is one of the largest privately held collections of mid-and late 20th Century art (mostly paintings) in the U.S.. Glad to hear at least some of it is staying in Omaha. To give you some idea of it's value, Mark Rothko's paintings have sold at auction for as much as $186,000,000 (that's "million").
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Awesome news! Keep us up to date!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Joslyn in line to obtain 50 works from late Omahan’s collection
Andrea Kszystyniak / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Harley Schrager, Phillip Schrager’s brother, said many pieces in the collection came from New York artists whom his brother met personally and purchased work from directly. A good many of the works he collected are by very well-known contemporary artists, Schrager said.

“The collection has spanned a period of time when contemporary art really started coming into its own in terms of marketability and value of paintings and sculptures and other works of art,” Schrager said.

The private collection features work by Mark Rothko, Willem de Kooning and Robert Mangold, according to World-Herald archives. Some of his collection has been on view sporadically at 4405 S. 96th St.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Hansen: With ambitious expansion plan, Joslyn Art Museum will take a big step into the future

Museum leaders on Wednesday are unveiling an ambitious expansion plan, one that will add a new building to the land Joslyn has occupied since 1931.
The expansion plan, which is in its early stages, will have Snøhetta and local architecture firm Alley Poyner Macchietto design a new building to be built somewhere on the existing Joslyn property off 24th and Dodge Streets. The expansion will also include new landscape design.

So far, there’s no price tag on the project, or renderings of the proposed building, or even a timeline for completion

The new building will most likely showcase some of the 50 pieces of high-profile contemporary art promised to the Joslyn by the Schrager family, though those works haven’t yet been given to the museum.

Attendance has boomed at the Joslyn in the past decade, spurred by the museum eliminating its entrance fee in 2013. The museum hosted nearly 200,000 people last year, a 62 percent increase since 2010.
Here is an example of some of the architect's other work:

Norwegian National Opera and Ballet building:

San Francisco Museum of Art:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This is amazing news! Plus the large donation to fill it, huge asset for the community.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

iamjacobm wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:28 am This is amazing news! Plus the large donation to fill it, huge asset for the community.
Agreed wholeheartedly! This, with the expansion of Central High, will bring a breath of fresh air to that corridor. The firm that is co-designing the building has some seriously out of this world projects. I am very excited to see what the new building will look like, both inside and out. Any guesses about where the building might go up on the site?
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Bomaha »

As much as I would like to see the Physician's Mutual site be built out more, I definitely wouldn't mind it turning into a art museum park of sorts with additional buildings, etc. Come on Powerball/Mega Millions tickets. And.....daydream over.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

ita wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:40 am
iamjacobm wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:28 am This is amazing news! Plus the large donation to fill it, huge asset for the community.
Agreed wholeheartedly! This, with the expansion of Central High, will bring a breath of fresh air to that corridor. The firm that is co-designing the building has some seriously out of this world projects. I am very excited to see what the new building will look like, both inside and out. Any guesses about where the building might go up on the site?
When they expanded the museum in 1994 they toyed around with the idea of making an underground parking garage and getting rid of the parking lot and making a much larger sculpture garden. Depending on who is funding this, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they went ahead with the underground parking garage and put the new building where the parking lot is now.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

An underground parking garage or even one on ground level with the building above it is a great idea.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Common sense dictates that building your new million dollar building over a parking garage would be creating a big problem. Now you have the potential for one of those cars to catch on fire and burn the whole place down. Is there going to be a guard at the entrance to the garage checking all vehicles to make sure they are not going to blow up from either malfunction or terrorist or lunatic?
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:32 am Common sense dictates that building your new million dollar building over a parking garage would be creating a big problem. Now you have the potential for one of those cars to catch on fire and burn the whole place down. Is there going to be a guard at the entrance to the garage checking all vehicles to make sure they are not going to blow up from either malfunction or terrorist or lunatic?
Of greater concern is that underground parking is batcrap crazy money expensive to build (last I heard estimated was >$22,000 per stall.). You could build a remote lot and hire people to run an “art shuttle” to and from parking for less.

Not sure I would worry about burning it all down, but one has to wonder what a constant flow of car exhaust would do to the air handling needs to protect the art inside.