Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

The Joslyn Art Museum

Post by eomaha »

The Joslyn Art Museum
Omaha World Herald wrote: Joslyn preparing for a really big show

The Italian Baroque artist Giovanni Domenico Tiepolo probably didn't consider how the size of his "The Building of the Trojan Horse" would complicate its display.

Officials at Joslyn Art Museum, though, are challenged by the size of the piece, which depicts the giant wooden horse left at the gates of Troy.

The 1774 painting is more than 6 feet tall by about 12 feet wide. It easily weighs hundreds of pounds and takes up a chunk of gallery space.

The painting is among a number of large works created by European artists during the 15th to 18th centuries that are being delivered and installed at the museum this week.

The paintings are part of the museum's exhibition "Renaissance to Rococo: Masterpieces from the Collection of the Wadsworth Atheneum Museum," scheduled to open to the public Oct. 23.

It is Joslyn's largest exhibition of European art - in terms of both the size of the works and the number of pieces - in decades. The show consists of 60 paintings by 15th through 18th century artists, including Caravaggio, Gainsborough, Goya, Strozzi, Sweerts, Van Dyck and Vouet.

Not only do many of the valuable pieces need to be handled with extreme care, but they also weigh hundreds of pounds and span several feet.

"The cost is significantly higher because you're carrying more weight and size," said Brooks Joyner, the museum's director. "Also, the handling aspect of large works require more handlers and more experienced people. Everything is scaled up."

The paintings arrived at Joslyn Tuesday morning in four semitrailer trucks. Workers began the painstaking process of unloading the 34 crates used to ship the paintings from the exhibition's last stop at the Kimbell Art Museum in Fort Worth, Texas.

"(The paintings) are not like a mass of lumber," said Joslyn registrar Penelope Smith, as she watched workers unload the pieces. "They take an enormous amount of care. You don't want the crate to slam down or fall, because that impact is not good for the object."

Officials estimate that it will take about 10 days for the paintings to be hung and made ready for viewing.

"It's really necessary that a specific procedure be followed," said Mary Schroeder, registrar for the Hartford, Conn.-based Wadsworth Atheneum, which is lending the paintings.

When the paintings arrive at the museum, they are brought into the galleries and climatized. The works must adjust to the climate in the galleries - 70 degrees with 50 percent humidity - before they are uncrated, in order not to aggravate any existing problems, said Ted James, Joslyn's collections and exhibitions manager.

Then, representatives from Joslyn and the Wadsworth Atheneum will do a condition check of each painting to make sure there are no scratches, cracks, flaking paint or loose frames. Finally, all the works will be hung on the gallery walls with thick hooks to ensure the pieces don't fall or come loose.

Because of the size of the show, the paintings will take up space in five galleries. The permanent contemporary collection is being put in storage to make room for the paintings, Joyner said.

"The only exhibit that comes to mind as far as taking up the entire space of the pavilion is the 'Searching for Ancient Egypt' (1999)," James said.

Though the installation of such a large show is a huge undertaking, officials at Joslyn and the Wadsworth Atheneum say it is worth it for both museums. Visitors to Joslyn can view works they might otherwise have to travel to see, and the Wadsworth Atheneum gets a chance to show its prestigious collection to people in other parts of the country.

"It's exposure for the collection," Schroeder said. "The Atheneum's name gets better known."
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

That is some big-city company on that list.
15-17, 26, 32
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Yes, definitely in good company. Something to be proud of.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Whoops, I meant to make a post about this a week or two ago. I have a friend who works for Josyln and she told me about it (though she only said "top 10").
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Excellent news!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Joslyn to build sculpture garden

Post by Brad »

Joslyn to build sculpture garden

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1462&u_sid=2278796
A year after Nebraska Sen. Ben Nelson was chastised on the Senate floor for netting the Joslyn Art Museum nearly $1 million, the museum has something to show for his efforts.

Joslyn leaders announced at Saturday night's 75th anniversary gala that they plan to start construction on a sculpture garden and an expanded parking lot in the spring.

The $10 million project - which was jumpstarted by federal funds secured by Nelson - calls for the roughly 1.5 acres between the museum and Omaha Central High School to be turned into an outdoor gallery. It will feature landscaping, water features and sculptures from Joslyn's collection.

The former Central High School practice field, which is just north of Joslyn's existing eastern parking lot, will be turned into a new parking area that will add 40 percent more spaces. The museum's existing northwest parking lot will be turned into a green space dedicated to families and children's education programs.

The project is Joslyn's second major addition in its 75-year history. It added the Scott Pavilion galleries and glass atrium in 1994.
Last edited by Brad on Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nice additions to look forward to.
mwegener
Home Owners Association

Re: Joslyn to build sculpture garden

Post by mwegener »

Brad wrote:Joslyn to build sculpture garden

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1462&u_sid=2278796

The $10 million project - which was jumpstarted by federal funds secured by Nelson - calls for the roughly 1.5 acres between the museum and Omaha Central High School to be turned into an outdoor gallery. It will feature landscaping, water features and sculptures from Joslyn's collection.

The project is Joslyn's second major addition in its 75-year history. It added the Scott Pavilion galleries and glass atrium in 1994.
[/
quote]

That's great but what I don't get is that the area has always been earmarked for that. It's been that way for 15 yeears or so that's why the 'big yellow thing' is planted there. That was supposed to be the big start of building the sculpture garden over a decade ago. What I want to know is why did it take so long?
http://www.omahaculture.com
Omahaculture@cox.net

WEEKLY PODCAST - Subscribe for FREE! Via ITunes or OMAHACULTURE.LIBSYN.COM.  You don't need an IPod ask me how
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I just think its awesome that it is going up now. This will be wonderful in that area.
15-17, 26, 32
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

That's great but what I don't get is that the area has always been earmarked for that. It's been that way for 15 yeears or so that's why the 'big yellow thing' is planted there. That was supposed to be the big start of building the sculpture garden over a decade ago. What I want to know is why did it take so long?
The museum's current director, Brooks Joyner, has seen plans for similar projects dating back 30 to 40 years. A public fund drive was announced for such an addition in the 1980s, but it fizzled. Some preliminary drawings for the Scott Pavilion expansion in the 1990s called for reflecting pools and other landscape features outside the museum, but they weren't pursued.

This project, though, is a lock.
Last edited by Finn on Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

This sounds like a nice addition to the grounds and should make for a more unique Jazz on the Green.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

This should be a great project for downtown. I was down at Joslyn recently and they have a really good scale model in the fountain room along with some renderings.  From what I took from the article its a multiple stage project with the first stage being just creating new access roads, the parking lot and new green space.  They would then move out some sculptures to put in the newly created green space.  Stage II would be the actual landscaping, installation of a reflecting pool, and the possible acquisition of new sculptures for the area.  All of this is to be done by sometime in 2008 but the stage II fundraising is still in the works.  Hopefully, they can get the money to get it done the way they envision it according to their timeline.  With Walter Scott and Brooks Joyner at the head of the effort, you got to think they got a pretty good chance.
mwegener
Home Owners Association

The Smithsonian at the Joslyn January 17th

Post by mwegener »

The first event in the Wakonda's Dream Festival.  It will be nice to see some of the Bodmer collection again!

The Smithsonian at the Joslyn:

American Indian Art
Wednesday, January 17, 6:30pm | Joslyn Art Museum,
2200 Dodge Street | Omaha

Dr. Richard West, Jr., Director of Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of the American Indian, presents a slide lecture on American Indian Art. Included in the evening is a tour of the Joslyn Art Museum’s Bodmer Collection of 19th century drawings and watercolors of American Indian life and the Museum’s collection of contemporary American Indian Art. Co-hosted by Joslyn Art Museum’s Bodmer Society and Contemporary Art Society.

Mark -  :music:
Omahaculture@cox.net

WEEKLY PODCAST - Subscribe for FREE! Via ITunes or OMAHACULTURE.LIBSYN.COM.  You don't need an IPod ask me how
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Is there a fee?
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
mwegener
Home Owners Association

Fee for show

Post by mwegener »

When I did the Wakonda's Dream Festival Podcast the Opera stated that all festival programs are to be FREE.

so I would assume so.  According to all 15 events I listed they are all free

Hopefully you can make it

Mark  :music:
Omahaculture@cox.net

RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I love Joslyn and I love gardens.  This should be cool.  Hey, I was downtown last night, and WHAT is that new rock and grass garden by the Civic Auditorium?  It so cool.  It is around a new building, that is only a few stories high.  I just can't believe how SHARP downtown Omaha is getting!  I ate at the Spaghetti Works with friends & family last night, and I admired the new art center.  I love how they light up that horizontal strip along the roof line.  From that bridge going over the GL Mall, downtown Omaha looks so high-tech and so sharp.  Nobody on the coasts would believe you are even in Nebraska.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I think you're talking about Pioneer Courage Park. That "new" building isn't new at all. It's the Zorinksy Federal Building that used to have the ugly turquoise tiles on the side.
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I think he's talking about First National's "technology center" or whatever that shorter building is there along Capital.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

^Thanks, guys.  I'm thinking StreetsofOmaha has what I saw correct.  It is short building near the civic that looks really new and has a rock/grass landscaping around it.  I also just noticed the huge limestone chunks laying in the grass near the FNC (by the bird sculptures).  I think I first saw that design in Minneapolis, and loved it.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

I think that is someones house.  I forget the name...is it Pouty Place, Purdy Place, awe something like that.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

midtown charlie wrote:I think that is someones house.  I forget the name...is it Pouty Place, Purdy Place, awe something like that.
I think what you're thinking of is attached to the north side of 902 Dodge.  I was just there yesterday and saw the name, and it's escaping me at the moment as well.

-Big E
Stable genius.
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

What does the development of this sculpture garden mean for Jazz on the Green?  Will this integrate the spectators of this event around the garden or will it have to be moved?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The sculpture garden plans sound absolutely awesome.  Omaha really doesn't have a honest to goodness sculpture garden right now.  This sounds like it will be a tourist attraction in its own right.  Kudos to Joslyn for aiming high.  I hope it can be built as quickly as possible, although like most gardens it will take decades for the trees to mature so as to give it the look of being completed.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Site preparation/demolition has begun for the garden.  The entire from grassy area and drive are torn up.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

So anyone know what this does to the Jazz on the Green Series as it sounds like it is in the same area.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Garden Underway:

SarahEatsOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SarahEatsOmaha »

:shock:  What's the deal with this?  Last year it was torn up, and then there was sod and jazz... now it looks worse than ever.  Anyone have the inside scoop?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Joyful_Girl wrote::shock:  What's the deal with this?  Last year it was torn up, and then there was sod and jazz... now it looks worse than ever.  Anyone have the inside scoop?
According to the title of the thread they are building a sculpture garden....
SarahEatsOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SarahEatsOmaha »

Brad wrote:
Joyful_Girl wrote::shock:  What's the deal with this?  Last year it was torn up, and then there was sod and jazz... now it looks worse than ever.  Anyone have the inside scoop?
According to the title of the thread they are building a sculpture garden....
Yes, thanks.   :;):  I was surprised it was torn up again because last summer they had sod down
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Joyful_Girl wrote:Yes, thanks.   :;):  I was surprised it was torn up again because last summer they had sod down

There are a lot of rules these days, now when you grade something and then its going to sit for "X" amount of time (i want to say its 60 or 90 days) you must seed or sod it.  Now I am guessing since its Josylan and they have a lot of money and they want a lot more money, they are going to make it look as good as they can.
SarahEatsOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SarahEatsOmaha »

^ Interesting... that makes sense.  thanks.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Sioux warrior to inaugurate Joslyn garden
DANE STICKNEY WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:A bronze Sioux warrior atop a horse and granite water works will appear this month in Joslyn Art Museum's sculpture garden. Texas artist Jesús Moroles this month will begin creating "The Omaha Riverscape," a granite reflecting pool mimicking the landscape of the Missouri River with column fountains and a large water wall.

He essentially is creating three projects under the single "Omaha Riverscape" title. The first is a 118-feet-long, 25-feet-wide, 9-inch deep reflecting pool. Moroles' second project involves building three 12-feet tall granite column fountains. The final aspect of Moroles' work is a 12-feet tall, 26-feet wide granite water wall.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

that's going to be very cool...but the writer's grammar isn't very becoming of a professional :)
Go Cubs Go
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Awesome!

I think it's really cool that they're rendering one of the originally proposed front-entrance-steps-flanking statues!  I wish they would have been installed as planned 80 years ago, but this will be an appropriate and impressive feature of the garden.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

This sounds very impressive.  The first of its kind in the Omaha area.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

I once had a professor that told our class that the Joslyn was the finest Gallery west of Chicago.  This will only add to that amazing reputation.
where the corn meets the concrete
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Joslyn wins approval for liquor 'patio'

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10628652
Paul Hammel on http://www.omaha.com wrote:LINCOLN - Visitors to Omaha's Joslyn Art Museum will soon be able to enjoy some wine with the outdoor sculpture garden.

The museum won state approval Thursday for a large, outdoor liquor "patio" on the east side of the museum.

That's where a new sculpture garden will open June 5.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

I noticed the other day that the garden looks nearly complete.  One of the great photographers on here should get a few pictures when they have time.
where the corn meets the concrete
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I was jogging through there yesterday and it does look completed but it looks like they may be adding more sculptures. I recognized a few statues that were inside the museum are now out in the garden.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

DTO Luv wrote:I was jogging
:shock:
Stable genius.