Omaha's Annexation Plans

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Big E wrote:I think when I initially proposed the hypothetical a couple years ago I said don't change the way property is assessed unless it is built new or changes ownership.  It would literally take a generation or two before all properties changed hands and were on the new system, but it would certainly steer development in the meantime.  I think the overall effect on home values away from the city center would actually be positive, as it would essentially limit the likelihood of building more.  And unless/until we do something about multiple school districts, there's ALWAYS going to be demand for the far flung 'burbs and their separate school coffers.
While some of that may happen, I would wager you would simply see people migrating to Sarpy County.  Not a good end result for Omaha.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Toll roads.  $10/day to get to your job. :D

The overall goal is to lower property taxes across the board.  I think in time the service/cost ratio would be attractive enough to attract home buyers and businesses to Omaha.

In the meantime, I'd like to see some Omaha employers start boycotting some of their out of town employees, too.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

To Quote you from another thread

For |expletive|'s sake, really?

Big E wrote:Toll roads.  $10/day to get to your job. :D

The overall goal is to lower property taxes across the board.  I think in time the service/cost ratio would be attractive enough to attract home buyers and businesses to Omaha.

In the meantime, I'd like to see some Omaha employers start boycotting some of their out of town employees, too.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Obviously joking about the toll roads.  That's what the smiley is for.  (I'd actually be totally for the toll roads, but know there's exactly zero chance of it ever happening.)

Second statement is feasible, although again I don't see it ever happening.

Third is obviously a snarky comment.

I swear to god some of the egos on this board are more sensitive than a wet vaj.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Big E wrote:Obviously joking about the toll roads.  That's what the smiley is for.  (I'd actually be totally for the toll roads, but know there's exactly zero chance of it ever happening.)

Second statement is feasible, although again I don't see it ever happening.

Third is obviously a snarky comment.

I swear to god some of the egos on this board are more sensitive than a wet vaj.

Then I guess you need to quit checking the mirror!      :mrgreen:
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

TechnicalDisaster wrote:
cdub wrote:
TechnicalDisaster wrote:It's time for a City and County Merger into a single city.  Save money by combining the municipalities.  This would allow Omaha to stop the suburban sprawl beyond its borders.  Combine the school districts into a single entity to reduce overlap in administrations.  Combine the suburban SID Levy's into a single debt and make the fee dependent on how far away from the city center your subdivision is.  Every 5-10 years you can adjust the scale.
Not that this would be a poor idea, but.   If the problem is, 'the suburban sprawl beyond its borders' the solution should be eliminate the negative of sprawl, not expand the borders to accommodate it.  

Its like saying that drunk driving is a problem, so solve it by upping the .08 so fewer would technically be drunk driving?
The merger isn't expanding Omaha's borders to accommodate growth, the merger expands Omaha's borders so they can control the growth.  What happens on the other side of 180th and Pacific is none of Omaha's business.*  The county has different standards for home construction and neighborhood amenities.   Merge the two, and Omaha can make the rules.

*Omaha has a limited ability to collect fees and make rules in the 3 mile radius around the city, but the state legislature has recently put an end to that practice as of 2013.
Spoken like someone who doesn't understand the process.  Omaha controls every bit of that new growth.  Omaha allows it via provision of sewer and then controls its form via subdivision and zoning.  The only thing the new rule does is end the collection of wheel tax, not change the other control.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

cdub wrote: Spoken like someone who doesn't understand the process.  Omaha controls every bit of that new growth.  Omaha allows it via provision of sewer and then controls its form via subdivision and zoning.  The only thing the new rule does is end the collection of wheel tax, not change the other control.
From the Douglas County website:

http://www.douglascounty-ne.gov/envserv ... and-zoning

Planning and ZoningThis division provides planning and zoning administration and assistance to the Douglas County planning and zoning jurisdiction.  The County’s jurisdictional limit begins three miles outside of the current City of Omaha city limits and one mile outside the incorporated city limits of Valley, Bennington, and Waterloo, respectively.

A Comprehensive Land Use Development Plan, which is required by State Statute, is the visionary document that serves as the basis for land use planning in the County and was update in 2006.  Planning assistance includes interpretation of zoning, subdivision, and floodplain regulations for the purposes of promoting and maintaining the health, safety, and general welfare of the residents that reside in the County’s jurisdiction.

This division administers the Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Adjustment, (volunteer boards appointed by the County Board of Commissioners to hearing planning and zoning issues and appeals).  

Land use applications for zoning changes, special use permit, and subdivisions are first considered at a public hearing by the Planning Commission and then a recommendation is made on the applications to the County Board.  The County Board conducts a public hearing and renders a decision.  

The Zoning Board of Adjustment considers applications at public hearings for requested variances to the zoning regulations and appeals of decisions by administrative staff.
Can you show me how Omaha controls zoning for Douglas County?
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I know there is a "planning boundary" of some sort that extends Omaha's say in development so far from the edges of it's borders. I think it's 3 miles, so most SIDs would fall under this rule.
DTO
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

TechnicalDisaster wrote:
cdub wrote: Spoken like someone who doesn't understand the process.  Omaha controls every bit of that new growth.  Omaha allows it via provision of sewer and then controls its form via subdivision and zoning.  The only thing the new rule does is end the collection of wheel tax, not change the other control.
From the Douglas County website:

http://www.douglascounty-ne.gov/envserv ... and-zoning

Planning and ZoningThis division provides planning and zoning administration and assistance to the Douglas County planning and zoning jurisdiction.  The County’s jurisdictional limit begins three miles outside of the current City of Omaha city limits and one mile outside the incorporated city limits of Valley, Bennington, and Waterloo, respectively.

A Comprehensive Land Use Development Plan, which is required by State Statute, is the visionary document that serves as the basis for land use planning in the County and was update in 2006.  Planning assistance includes interpretation of zoning, subdivision, and floodplain regulations for the purposes of promoting and maintaining the health, safety, and general welfare of the residents that reside in the County’s jurisdiction.

This division administers the Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Adjustment, (volunteer boards appointed by the County Board of Commissioners to hearing planning and zoning issues and appeals).  

Land use applications for zoning changes, special use permit, and subdivisions are first considered at a public hearing by the Planning Commission and then a recommendation is made on the applications to the County Board.  The County Board conducts a public hearing and renders a decision.  

The Zoning Board of Adjustment considers applications at public hearings for requested variances to the zoning regulations and appeals of decisions by administrative staff.
Can you show me how Omaha controls zoning for Douglas County?
Omaha doesn't.  However that was not the original point.  The original point was to control growth and development, none of which is happening in that area.  If you are extremely concerned about a couple of 20 acre lots and a few out buildings though then forgive me as your point would stand.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

cdub wrote: Omaha doesn't.  However that was not the original point.  The original point was to control growth and development, none of which is happening in that area.  If you are extremely concerned about a couple of 20 acre lots and a few out buildings though then forgive me as your point would stand.
Jeez, did I upset you off somehow?  You seem kind of bent for no reason.

Which area do you believe their is no growth in?  180th and Pacific?  Swing by my place tonight and I'll show you how the county allows for non-existant sidewalks connecting neighborhing subdivisions - making it impossible to walk or bike around here.  I can also dig up my home inspection report and show you where my house doesn't meet City code but does meets County code (I'm missing an extra ground wire from my natural gas line in the furnace room).  Their might be some hand shaking between the city and county, but it isn't capturing everything about how subdivisions and homes are built.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

TechnicalDisaster wrote:
cdub wrote: Omaha doesn't.  However that was not the original point.  The original point was to control growth and development, none of which is happening in that area.  If you are extremely concerned about a couple of 20 acre lots and a few out buildings though then forgive me as your point would stand.
Jeez, did I upset you off somehow?  You seem kind of bent for no reason.

Which area do you believe their is no growth in?  180th and Pacific?  Swing by my place tonight and I'll show you how the county allows for non-existant sidewalks connecting neighborhing subdivisions - making it impossible to walk or bike around here.  I can also dig up my home inspection report and show you where my house doesn't meet City code but does meets County code (I'm missing an extra ground wire from my natural gas line in the furnace room).  Their might be some hand shaking between the city and county, but it isn't capturing everything about how subdivisions and homes are built.
I am not upset, but I also don't like arguments based upon fiction.  Building permits are issued by Omaha for properties within the Omaha jurisdiction, which 180/Pacific is within today.  The only way your house wasn't built to Omaha code was if it was built before it was in Omaha's jurisdiction.  Frankly, if you are in a typical subdivision, as opposed to some large lot thing, you are and were in Omaha's jurisdiction, meaning the home was built under an Omaha permit and frankly there should be sidewalks in as well as they would have been required.   Sometimes the City falls down on making sure they get in though and you may also have disconnections if there are vacant lots as sidewalks only generally go in when a lot is built upon.
Uffda
County Board

Mayor Plans to Add 7,000 to Omaha Population

Post by Uffda »

Most of the neighborhoods are in far west Omaha -- Banyan Hills, Hawthorne, Autumn Ridge, Pacific Meadows second addition, Oakbrook Meadows and Oakbrook Meadows 2, Pacific Hollow and Le Beau West.

You'll find two more neighborhoods over toward Crown Point. They are Glenbrook and Wynnewood.

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Mayo ... 02569.html

Well looks like I am going to end up in the city. My subdivision is about 78th & Sorensen and been around since mid 70s.

The only thing I hope is that the HOA will still pay for clearing snow of streets as I live on a steep dead end street that gets cleared very well right now.
bluecollartechworker
New to the Neighborhood

Post by bluecollartechworker »

Count me in!  I move into Omaha next week.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

I'm being annexed too. I got the package and I'm already getting ready for the tax reductions and the city next election.

I knew the city estimates during the 2000s were too high because we rarely annexed any neighborhoods.  The US Census was going by our regular annexation habits under Daub where he would annex about the same amount of people as there were new neighborhoods.

For example: There were about 55,000 people living in the non-city suburbs in Douglas County in 1990.  That number was reduced to about 50,000 in 2000.  I'm not sure what Fahey and Stuttle were thinking because you have to annex to grow.  Anyway our non-city suburbs in Douglas county grew from 50,000 in 2000 to 108,000 in 2010.  Sarpy county saw an approximate increase in non-city suburbs that douglas county did.

I expect to see Omaha, Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Gretna and Springfield to all exceed the growth rates of their counties during the 2010s as they take the sea of non-city suburbs that are in existence right now.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I'm bummed we did not make it.  I'm in Stone Park and we have a Omaha library and community center next door and we did not make it.  Hopefully we're in the 2nd wave they referenced.  I think it's odd that the city has a community center and library outside the city limits (part of the Saddlebrook complex with OPS).

Greg
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Well I found out that the HOA would still be responsible for my street and a couple of others... sigh of relief.... BUT the common areas of the development would become city property and they would be responsible for mowing.... hmmm might have to get a bigger mower.

They sent out a letter saying my taxes would go down about $600/yr  but they included a $300/yr garbage fee - which I SID picked up last year so I havent had to pay for garbage so I guess a 300 difference now
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Aww, disappointing. I thought this was going to be some sort of comprehensive infill plan to add 7,000 more residents within existing city limits. But, as usual, we're just extending the belt; I'm not saying that's bad. Indeed it's an important means by which to control development and keep tax money in the city. The thread title just got me excited, and then I was let down.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

A good number of these do seem to be surrounded by the city limits already...
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

skinzfan23
City Council

City annexes nine neighborhoods

Post by skinzfan23 »

The World Herald wrote:
City annexes nine neighborhoods

The Omaha City Council unanimously signed off Tuesday on annexing nine neighborhoods with more than 7,000 residents across west and northwest Omaha
http://www.omaha.com/article/20110719/N ... ghborhoods
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It makes total sense.  The neighborhoods I recognize from that list are all already surrounded by the city.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

well i guess i am part of the city at the end of august.

this part won't change as my SID already contracts and pays Deffenbaugh

will be part of Deffenbaugh's garbage collection routes, allowing people to cancel their contracted trash service.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

iamjacobm wrote:It makes total sense.  The neighborhoods I recognize from that list are all already surrounded by the city.
Exactly.  This is something that should have been done years ago.
Fromaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Fromaha »

With over 100,000 more people in Douglas County than in the Omaha City limits, I find it hard to believe that they could only annex 7K people. Seems like city officials are not doing what they ought to be on this front.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Fromaha wrote:With over 100,000 more people in Douglas County than in the Omaha City limits, I find it hard to believe that they could only annex 7K people. Seems like city officials are not doing what they ought to be on this front.
Just because there are people yet to be annexed doesn't mean that it's a smart idea to just go out and lay siege to other developments.  It has a lot more to do with assumed debt and cost of providing services to annexed areas and such than just 'hey, lets make Weeping Willow Hollow Brook Shire Pointe part of Omaha so we have 50,000 more people"
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Fromaha wrote:With over 100,000 more people in Douglas County than in the Omaha City limits, I find it hard to believe that they could only annex 7K people. Seems like city officials are not doing what they ought to be on this front.
They only annex residential areas which encompass business tax receipts to make it worth while. So yeah, they could annex more, but taxes would skyrocket.
Fromaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Fromaha »

Just because there are people yet to be annexed doesn't mean that it's a smart idea to just go out and lay siege to other developments.  It has a lot more to do with assumed debt and cost of providing services to annexed areas and such than just 'hey, lets make Weeping Willow Hollow Brook Shire Pointe part of Omaha so we have 50,000 more people"
Of course is has to do with debt. Thanks for that breaking news. I don't advocate annexing just to raise the population.
They only annex residential areas which encompass business tax receipts to make it worth while. So yeah, they could annex more, but taxes would skyrocket.
My point was, that I don't believe that city officials have looked closely enough at all areas that could be annexed - which could ultimately LOWER taxes.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

S33 wrote: They only annex residential areas which encompass business tax receipts to make it worth while. So yeah, they could annex more, but taxes would skyrocket.
I think that is more prevalent out in West Omaha or what becomes west O.  My neighborhood being annexed doesn't have any businesses in it.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Fromaha wrote:
Of course is has to do with debt. Thanks for that breaking news. I don't advocate annexing just to raise the population.
Then spend your time clarifying your statements instead of being a dick.  :roll:
Fromaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Fromaha »

Then spend your time clarifying your statements instead of being a dick.

Maybe I'll spend my time making you a jump-to-conclusions mat, tough guy.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Fromaha wrote:
Then spend your time clarifying your statements instead of being a dick.

Maybe I'll spend my time making you a jump-to-conclusions mat, tough guy.
whatevs. moving on, kids...we annexed 7,000 people.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

There is plenty of looking going on.  Even these aren't big money deals but the City wanted to clean up some.  I'm not sure how Suttle is going to keep annexing in future phases as he's indicated.  Without changing the way you count, most possible annexations out there just don't add up without spreading services thinner or increasing costs beyond the additional revenue.  

Homes on 10k lots never pay the bills and a lot of commercial has already been annexed in those same general areas.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

cdub wrote:There is plenty of looking going on.  Even these aren't big money deals but the City wanted to clean up some.  I'm not sure how Suttle is going to keep annexing in future phases as he's indicated.  Without changing the way you count, most possible annexations out there just don't add up without spreading services thinner or increasing costs beyond the additional revenue.  

Homes on 10k lots never pay the bills and a lot of commercial has already been annexed in those same general areas.

There are still several substantial subdivisions in NW Omaha that are close to being annex ready.  One already has a Omaha public library and rec center.

Greg
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Greg S wrote:
cdub wrote:There is plenty of looking going on.  Even these aren't big money deals but the City wanted to clean up some.  I'm not sure how Suttle is going to keep annexing in future phases as he's indicated.  Without changing the way you count, most possible annexations out there just don't add up without spreading services thinner or increasing costs beyond the additional revenue.  

There are still several substantial subdivisions in NW Omaha that are close to being annex ready.  One already has a Omaha public library and rec center.

Greg
Depends on what you call annex ready.  If they've stretched out their debt or taken on more, they may not be.  There is no way to look at an SID and know unless you see the numbers.  Also, Omaha can offer services outside the city in a number of instances and once there it really makes little difference how soon the area is annexed.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I spoke with someone on my SID  board and they stated our SID has very low debt numbers.  He seemed to indicate those in the SID's that directly boarder us were nearing the range that would make the whole area attractive to the city....

The guys from Grow Omaha were on KFAB stated there were more annexations to come that would benefit Omaha.  Seems there's a backlog because we had slowed so much on the annexation front.

Greg
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Greg S wrote:I spoke with someone on my SID  board and they stated our SID has very low debt numbers.  He seemed to indicate those in the SID's that directly boarder us were nearing the range that would make the whole area attractive to the city....

The guys from Grow Omaha were on KFAB stated there were more annexations to come that would benefit Omaha.  Seems there's a backlog because we had slowed so much on the annexation front.

Greg
As much as I hate conspiracy theories, I really do think politics enter into it.  Look at it as a form of gerry-mandering.  Why would a democratic controlled government want to add 10-20k mostly right-leaning people?

NOTE: I am not commenting on one side or the other.  I would see the right doing the same thing if things were reversed.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Doubt it. I don't think left/right partisan politics have that much of an influence in Omaha, at least in this aspect.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

S33 wrote:Doubt it. I don't think left/right partisan politics have that much of an influence in Omaha, at least in this aspect.
I certainly hope that would be true.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Their back:
Southeast of 156th Street and West Maple Road, Seven Pines, Highland Park and adjacent area.
East of 156th Street and Rolling Ridge Road, Walnut Lake.
Northwest of 132nd and Fort Streets, Standing Bear.
Northeast of 147th Street and West Maple Road, Hillsborough Plaza.
Southwest of 132nd and Fort Streets, Pegasus.
Northwest of 156th and “Q” Streets, Lakeview Heights and Chimney Ridge.
Northeast of 156th Street and West Dodge Road, Pepperwood.
Southwest of 144th and “F” Streets, The Colonies and adjacent area.