Qwest Center Omaha (building)

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Back to topic..

Supurb pics guys..And I agree. Even though the seat expansion added only 1518 more seats, from what I see in your pics, the Qwest Center looks even more impressive..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

I thought they were going to add the lights ribbon all the way around the arena. I can't really tell from the pics but it doesn't look like they did that. I honestly kind of like it with the breaks on the ends anyway.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I thought they were going to add the lights ribbon all the way around the arena
Its just not done yet. (Posted with the pictures)
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

Brad wrote:
I thought they were going to add the lights ribbon all the way around the arena
Its just not done yet. (Posted with the pictures)

Thanks, haven't had time to look at more than just the pics today.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Thanks for the pics Brad!!! I was going to sneak over on Sunday, but it got a bit busy with football fans, so I never did make it. The new seating looks great, and I think I like the Bud Bar better with a "roof" over it. And, I don't remember those colors all over the bar floor either. I sat in the same seat three times last year for hockey, and had a prime view of the bar area, and I'm sure I would have remembered it.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
DundeeDude
New to the Neighborhood

closer up pic of the new seats and bud bar

Post by DundeeDude »

eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Correct your link there Dundee... and welcome to the forum! :)
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Where is the new scoreboard going? Anybody know what's being done with the old one that used to be above the Bud Bar?

Greg
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

Greg S wrote:Where is the new scoreboard going? Anybody know what's being done with the old one that used to be above the Bud Bar?

Greg
The old one from above the Bud Bar is moving to the top of the South end. They're also adding ribbon boards to both the south and north ends.
DundeeDude
New to the Neighborhood

Closer view of new seats and Bud Bar

Post by DundeeDude »

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Your link is still a no go DundeeDude..The dreaded red x..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Just like I guessed. The Ribbon is up just before the first Creighton Game! It was up at the Maverick Hockey Game tonight.
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Any master plan for qwest center?

Post by Bomaha »

Basically, I just wanted to know if their were any long-term plans for expansion of the convention center space (obviously to the north). I think that's it.
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Bomaha »

I was thinking that possibly in however many years maybe 10-20years hopefully 10 that the convention center could be expanded possibly 300,000 more sqft bringing it to 500,000 and add an 9,000-11,000 seat identical arena on the north side. Yes I know that this would all go where that huge parking lot is, but I have already thought of solutions, just wait. The other two massive parking lots would be basically filled up with hotels, condos, shops, retail, restaurants. Just imagine right along 10th street, Underground parking would encompass both blocks down 3 to 5 levels with the 4 and 5 levels being connected with each other for one humongous underground lot like in san fran, or anywhere else. Expansion of Hilton would suffice as well.

Just wait, there's more.

Can anyone tell me what rail lines are actually being used in north omaha or show me. Because the line going across the switchback bridge or whatever, looks dead so I think that could be a rails to trails line, what do you know it meets up with the levee trail. Yes, I also know that we would have to turn that bridge back but it is possible, through magic and a whole lot of elbow grease. Assuming it does turn again, it would have to have a sweet a** paint job, structural stabilization, reinforcing, making it jumper proof (because everyone i talk to says that is the number two reason against the orig) and all that hoopla. But think, Botta-boom second pedestrian bridge.

The waste sewege treatment plant could be moved to a area of land just south of the north omaha power plant, it should fit. Plus all of the industrial type businesses north of abbott drive all the way to Locust street would be moved to the industrial park north of the airport with the 16th street bridge built over the river and connecting to the interchange in iowa (talked about before), this would open more space up there for an industrial park, even though in Iowa.

Now that all of the land north to Locust Street is free, let's get building!

BTW that trail coming off the switchback bridge would follow the tracks to 11th street and turn and continue north along 11th and carter lake road until right before Boyd Park where it would cross the tracks with a Dodge Street type bridge and continue NNW on an older track (what it looks like on google) through that area and under Storz Expy to the I think it is a Rugby Park. That whole very thin green area east of Miller PArk and north of Rugby complex could be a large park, better facilities for rugby, lacrosse, soccer, baseball, cricket, whatever, plus better access from the neighborhood by possibly tearing down some houses on the east side of florence blvd and giving access, also line trees or whatever along that rail line for sound or whatever.

Back to the River, Freedom Park could expand south toward Miller's landing, (yes I know it is part of iowa but it could happen) plus expand toward the switch bridge and tie into it.

I think that is all i have to say or suggest or envision. Funding I think is going to be a problem, but not impossible. :D
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The Track behind the Qwest Center is the UP line that feeds north downtown, carter lake, the area to the north of the airport, the MUD plant, the OPPD Plant and the OWH.  Its not going away.  

The swing bridge is left the way it is as a just in case something happens to the UP bridge.  The CN owns the bridge put uses UP's bridge.  There are plans somewhere in case they are needed.  Its not just a matter of shutting it, it needs to be open for barge traffic unless there is a train coming.

As far as the line leading up to the bridge, it is still in service there are 2 industries just east of abbot drive, by the jail that use it.

I wish they would still use the bridge:
Bluejay_Nation
Home Owners Association

Post by Bluejay_Nation »

the arena should definitely expand before the convention center does.
omaha has way too many convention centers anyways.
GO JAYS!!!!!

Image at http://www.myspace.com/bluejaynation for coverage of Creighton Athletics!
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

The arena is not expandable as they had taken all of the inner-space allotted already, however, for a hefty price tag they can do some major renovations...
The convention center part would cost some, but not as nearly as bad as the arena.. I hope that I am wrong, but that is the impression I am getting (on being too expensive to expand the arena)...
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

in my crystal ball i see the qwest center arena being a temporary home to a future nba or nhl franchise in  10-20 years while a new arena is under construction. once the new arena is complete, the old qwest center arena will be torn down and the convention center will expand to fill that space. Events in the 7-10k range will be facilitated in a new UNO arena.
Bluejay_Nation
Home Owners Association

Post by Bluejay_Nation »

UNOstudent wrote:in my crystal ball i see the qwest center arena being a temporary home to a future nba or nhl franchise in  10-20 years while a new arena is under construction. once the new arena is complete, the old qwest center arena will be torn down and the convention center will expand to fill that space. Events in the 7-10k range will be facilitated in a new UNO arena.
get real UNOstudent
maybe in your dreams...
GO JAYS!!!!!

Image at http://www.myspace.com/bluejaynation for coverage of Creighton Athletics!
agibson95
Home Owners Association

Post by agibson95 »

UNOstudent wrote:in my crystal ball i see the qwest center arena being a temporary home to a future nba or nhl franchise in  10-20 years while a new arena is under construction. once the new arena is complete, the old qwest center arena will be torn down and the convention center will expand to fill that space. Events in the 7-10k range will be facilitated in a new UNO arena.
Why not a Dome Stadium for a NFL team? Thats what my crystal ball. It also said that I am going to win the lottery and that David Letterman is going to be president. Come to think of it, my crystal ball is usually wrong. But it does say NU is going to win the National Championship this year, so maybe its starting a winning streak.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

wow!, some of you are getting way ahead of things...

tearing down the Qwest ?

I wouldn't be devastated if the Civic was torn down for a better use(perhaps to satisfy the HOC :)) but I'd hate to lose the Music Hall.  I think its a nice venue and as Omaha's entertainment options continue to grow I think there will be real need for it.  Saving it would be worth it over the cost to build another venue this size.
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Bomaha »

Yep, totally forgot about barges on the river. DAM! But i think my last paragraph about that trail heading up towards the Miller Park area could work. Well, we would have to wait until all the industrial businesses move before we put the trail along 11th, or not. Then tie in with the riverfront trail.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

From the Royal's article:
MAGGIE O'BRIEN WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Daub's other ideas for getting the city through the recession range from expanding convention space at Qwest Center Omaha to replacing the south Omaha fire station at 24th and L Streets. He also said he wants to add more hotels rooms to the Hilton Omaha or build a new hotel so that the city can better compete for convention business.
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10559326
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

that would be awesome if he brought in a high rise hotel down there like he originally planned on putting in  :D
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

guitarguy wrote:that would be awesome if he brought in a high rise hotel down there like he originally planned on putting in  :D
That'd be a tough one...but i'd poop my pants if they did.
Go Cubs Go
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

build a new hotel so that the city can better compete for convention business.
Based on the economy I think a lot of conventions might be scaling back. We also have the three new hotels within walking distance of the QWEST.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

after looking at this, shouldn't it go into the urban section?  

Anyway, how many rows are there in each section?  I know that they vary, but when i was looking for tickets for the Creighton game, i found them in like h, p, and x.   They are in the upper bowl, and i didn't know if it went from a-z or not (which would dictate my purchase).
Go Cubs Go
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

really depends on what side. The east side row P is the top.   I think some parts of the west side hit x but some are only R  I am not sure about the North and South sides. Also most sections go beyond H so maybe those were the very corner sections.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The 22 floors thread just reminded me of this because I took a photo at the same time...

The Qwest Center built a cover for the sidewalk extending from the Qwest Center out to lot "D".  It looks fairly decent.  Photos later.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Did you see the building on the trailer down the road from there?
where the corn meets the concrete
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

windsor wrote:Did you see the building on the trailer down the road from there?
add that to the growing list of photos I have but still need to post....
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Small but visible in this photo.

As far as I have seen, they haven't added the actual "canopy" to the metal framework, or have they?

"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I thought it was, but I blasted my photo while driving so I am not sure.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Covered Walkway being built on the North end of the Convention Center.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The new sidewalk cover:

The "parking building" that was moved from the site of the stadium to its new location here:
Bugeater
Library Board

Post by Bugeater »

Wow, that's impressive that they got that out all in one piece.
Life is the sh*t that happens while we wait for moments that never come.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bugeater wrote:Wow, that's impressive that they got that out all in one piece.
I have a pic of it on the trailer somewhere...
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I am curious as to what they are going to use that building for. I usually don't park in Lot D any more so I haven't seen the changes.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I thought it was for the company that runs the parking?
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Wonder if they will build a similar cover on the long sidewalk to the west of the Qwest Center and the long sidewalk through the parking lot to the north?
where the corn meets the concrete