Qwest Center Omaha (building)

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

Qwest Center Omaha (building)

Post by eomaha »

Qwest Center Omaha (Building)

Just happened to catch this in Tom Shatel's First downs, second guesses...

---
Roger Dixon, president of the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority, said the Big 12 has told him not to even bother applying for a league tourney with a bid under 17,500 seats. Our Arena seats 15,500. So why can this work?

Because there's room to grow. There's a space in the upper deck of the open end zone that needs to be bridged. Dixon said there is room for 1,800 seats. That would put us at 17,300. And Dixon said there is room for bleachers in that open area. Either way, he said, Omaha can meet the 17,500.

OK, someone's gotta pay for it. Dixon says the 1,800 seats would cost $4 million to $5 million and smartly adds that it must come from the private sector.

Why wasn't the upper deck finished to begin with? Because MECA and the city were worried about having too many seats to fill. Now they wish they had them.

We need a sponsor to step up. That's easy to write in a column. But we've seen ConAgra (Big East tournament) and Mutual of Omaha put their names all over college basketball in recent years. Qwest is an obvious place to ask.

We have a real opportunity to do something special here. A Big 12 tourney would bring in more than the $4 million to $5 million it would take to get it. Let's do this.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

"Why wasn't the upper deck finished to begin with? Because MECA and the city were worried about having too many seats to fill. Now they wish they had them."

Typical Omaha, always underestimating itself :) .
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I think the approach used in building the arena was brilliant. Again... we're talking about 1 or 2 major events which hinge on this additional seating. The current capacity has obviously accomodated everything else (CU-Huskers haven't sold out yet). Let a corporate donor (heck... even a major franchise owner :idea: ) pick up the tab for adding additional seating to accomodate those couple of bigger events/franchise that require it.

Bottom line is... the Qwest Center is going to fit Omaha's needs for years to come.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

jhuston wrote: Bottom line is... the Qwest Center is going to fit Omaha's needs for years to come.
I hope you're right, Jeff. But I have had concerns about the size of the arena from the start. It seems to me, and apparently to some others as well, that Omaha too often dreams at the 98% percent level (rather than 120%) and then cuts things back to the 90% level upon funding or implementation. Then we end up with something good but not quite what it could have been. Omaha deserves better. Omaha can do better.

The Qwest Center was scaled back and some of the plaza features were removed. Heck, the arena capacity was scaled back before that. The hotel as we all know was scaled back. And Lormung Lo's canal entertainment district didn't see the light of day. (As the only other Omahan besides Lo that is really charged up about that dead idea, I had to work it in. I am trying to make this my signature theme. :wink: Heck, I might be the only one as perhaps Lo has given up on the idea.)

Now the bridge design is in a tenuous position. I don't mean to sound negative. I love this city and these are very exciting times. But there is a lesson in these experiences that we need to capitalize on as we continue to move forward.

When you look at the last 20 (maybe more) years of the Civic's life, it has been woefully inadequate from the standpoint of capacity. We have had a facility for the previous twenty years in a stage of decline rather than a cash cow that we could leverage for all it's worth. By overbuilding now, we could have been assured that the productive, non-decline stages of the Qwest Center would be available to Omaha much further into the future thus great enhancing our return on our investment before a new one is required.

I also realize that my comments are easy to say when I am not part of the private entities that are often asked to foot the bill for these dreams. Omaha's conservative culture has probably served it well during much of its history. But there are times to capitalize on momentum and be bold and daring too.

I hope, as you believe, that this will not be the future of the Qwest Center. And if we can expand this by filling in the upper bowl as Dixon believes, then let me get behind this and support it. But let's continue to challenge ourselves to dream bigger. A great city can continue to raise the bar.
sokkerdewd
Home Owners Association

Post by sokkerdewd »

Hey - maybe if Qwest added the seats, the World-Herald would finally start calling it the Qwest Center! :lol:
sokkerdewd
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

And remember how half way through the construction of the FNC, they came out and said they were nearly all filled up, and should have built the building bigger?

I guess it's sort of typical. One of these days, developers, city leaders, and investors will "get it" and start building things right the first time.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Now now... at least we don't have to build an entirely new arena (and perhaps FNC's situation will just accelerate the need for another downtown building. I'd personally rather see a 600 footer and another 300 footer... than a single 700 footer anyway!)
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I totally agree, Jeff. And that's kind of my point...the "underbuilding" of some of these big projects will encourage more big projects in the future.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Agreed.
eomaha
County Board

Qwest Center tidbit from Tom Shatel

Post by eomaha »

From Tom Shatel's First downs, second guesses column...

"Don't want to get too excited, but an NCAA official told me this week that Omaha is still in the mix for first- and second-round games in 2007. And it's very late in the process.

And a Big 12 official here urged Omaha to inquire about a Big 12 tournament."
jays25ks
Home Owners Association

Qwest Center expansion?

Post by jays25ks »

O.k. now were in trouble. Since Des Moines is opening the Wells Fargo Center in the near future that is 17000 for basketball verses 15500 for bball at the Qwest. Now that KC has announced its plans for the Sprint Center that is 19000 were in trouble. Omaha needs to complete the Upper bowl so that it can compete with kc and dm. If omaha wants to pay the $290mill facility off they will need to spend money to expand in order to get the events needed to book the place and pay it off.
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Wells Fargo Arena will only seat 15,558 for basketball, 17,100 for concerts.

Don't fret too much, Omaha will continue to compete very well with Des Moines and to a lesser extent, KC years down they get the Sprint Center built. Hopefully, the Big 12 will allow the NCAA basketball tournament to shuffle around with all of these nice new venues opening up. I have a feeling we're all S.O.L. when it comes to hosting the entire NCAA regional tournaments (Elite 8, Final 4, etc). Our cities are still much too small for this kind of event.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I agree, Ryan.

Of course I also think that we should have "filled the bowl in" to begin with. I mean, why is it so rare for Omaha to do something right the first time?
eomaha
County Board

Speak of the devil... MECA: Maybe we should add more seats.

Post by eomaha »

Qwest Center considering 2,000 more seats
From the World Herald...

The board running the Qwest Center Omaha is considering adding 2,000 seats to the arena - just nine months after its completion.

Over the next two months, an architectural and engineering firm will examine the feasibility of enclosing the arena's north side to bring capacity for basketball games to more than 17,500 people.

Thursday's decision by the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority board to authorize a study came, in part, because the arena failed to meet the qualifications for landing the Big 12 basketball tournament.

Omaha dropped plans to bid for the 2007 Big 12 basketball tournament, which went to Oklahoma City's Ford Center with more than 17,500 seats.

MECA Chairman David Sokol said the study isn't an admission that a mistake was made in the original plan. The arena was designed so it would be possible to add seats, he said.

The need for expansion surfaced "sooner rather than later," Sokol said.

When the decision about the arena's size was made nearly five years ago, Sokol said, there were as many doubters suggesting the facility was too large as those arguing that it was too small.

The market for a large arena in Omaha was untested, Sokol said.

"There was a dearth of major entertainment," he said. "We didn't realize how well the Qwest Center would be received."

The arena capacity for basketball is listed as 15,500 but can reach 16,200 when premium seating in the suites is included, said Roger Dixon, MECA's president.

To meet Big 12 requirements and to become more competitive for major NCAA events, Dixon said, 1,600 to 1,700 seats would have to be added.

Current capacity barely meets the requirements to host championships for the "Frozen 4" NCAA hockey and NCAA wrestling, Dixon said.

MECA has not heard whether Omaha was picked to host the early rounds of the 2007 or 2008 NCAA men's basketball tournament.

Even if adding the seats is feasible, MECA could decide that getting one or two more big events a year is not worth the cost, Sokol said.

The open, upper level of the north end of the arena has been a popular gathering place during Creighton basketball and University of Nebraska at Omaha hockey games. The large Budweiser concessions area is on the arena's north end.

The additional seats would not increase capacity for most concerts, since the seats would be located behind the stage. The seats would be available for some performances, such as Shania Twain's recent appearance, when the stage is in the center of the arena floor.

Still, landing a Big 12 tournament or major NCAA event would carry a major financial punch for the entire city, Dixon said. The Big 12 tournament brings 12,000 visitors to the host city who fill 10,000 hotel rooms for three days, he said.

Mayor Mike Fahey wants to see the outcome of the study before offering his view on whether the additional seats are needed, said Pete Festersen, the mayor's deputy chief of staff.

"We are interested in the success of the arena," he said.

The initial $29,500 contract with Omaha-based DLR, which designed the convention center and arena, will examine the structural feasibility of adding seats. There are a number of issues, including whether poured concrete or aluminum could be used to construct the seating area.

New seats also could mean more exits and bathrooms would be needed to meet building codes. If DLR determined that the project was structurally feasible, MECA would spend another $10,000 to obtain a cost estimate.

The five MECA board members also received a novel report of their success Thursday. Levy Restaurants, the facility's caterer, reported that in the first nine months of operation it had sold 104,365 hot dogs. Put end to end, they would stretch for 137 miles.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I appreciate what Dixon is saying though... with regards to there being as many yelling that we were building too big... as there were too small. Just be happy there's a quick 'upgrade path'. I still have mixed feelings about adding 2,000 seats just to get two weeks worth of events over a decades time... and in return get a crappy atmosphere, full of empty seats which we won't fill for the rest of our local sporting events. Maverick games are already rather 'quiet'... compared with the packed Civic... it will just be compounded with another 2,000 empty seats.
jiminomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jiminomaha »

I have three topics regarding the original post that I wanted to comment on.

First, I like the name Qwest Center Omaha, it sounds cool. At least when spoken the word Qwest/Quest, even if its spelled differently, has some meaning. Fans, performing acts and sport teams come to this center on a quest for . . . . . . . Its better than United Airlines Arena, Investco Field or Qualcomm Stadium.

Second, I don't like the fact that the OWH won't use the name Qwest Center Omaha. The reality is that the legal name of the facility is the Qwest Center Omaha, its in big letters on the side of the facility, the freeway signs use the name Qwest Center. I don't think that its appropriate for the OWH to decide that this facility should be called the Omaha Convention Center or Omaha Arena. Its just not appropriate to let personal feelings to edit out reality. Opinions should be relegated to the Editorial section, the rest of the paper should be real and accurate information.

Third, all the stories about the center losing money is a bunch of worthless chatter not worthy of the ink its printed on. Center's like this rarely make money, they aren't supposed to make money, their value should be measured in economic impact, not in profit and losses. A center can lose $2 Million but if it created 2000 jobs and created an economic impact to the local community, then its a success. So the center may lose money, but maybe that taxi cab driver won't have to file for bankruptcy or go on unemployment because of it. Maybe that restaurant down the street didn't go out of business because of it. Maybe that printing shop business will make a nice profit instead of a meager profit cause they printed up some brochures for a basketball tournament or a rodeo or t-shirts for a Creighton-UNL basketall game or a future NCAA tournament. Maybe that HS kid has a job instead of running loose in the streets looking for trouble. Convention Centers and even Arenas are corporations that should be based on profit or loss, they are community welfare. When the papers and the TV stations run those stories about how its losing money, they just doing so cause its a hot topic that will get a few segments of the community riled up and sell papers and cause people to watch their news broadcast. The Qwest center even if mildy successful in the long run may still lose money, but it will create jobs, increase our flight options at Eppley, help bus companies, help taxi cab drivers, help restaurants and retail in the area. It will help hotels, it will boost the lacking national image of Omaha. And it also helps to create more fun and entertainment options for us locals.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I didn't agree with it... but I think they made it clear why they didn't want to recognize the Qwest Center name. They were annoyed that all this public and private money was donated into the thing... and then Qwest is allowed to 'exploit' it for a few million dollars... and at the same time (and more importantly to the World Herald) ... benefit from the World Herald providing free Qwest marketing... every time they mentioned it in their paper.

Dumb... given this has been a long established practice for creating additional revenues to offset expenses at public venues across the nation... but I guess that was their decision.
eomaha
County Board

Surprise, surprise... Qwest Center ahead of projections

Post by eomaha »

From the World Herald...

Qwest Center's cash picture brightens

The taxpayer subsidy to Qwest Center Omaha will be reduced over the next four years, the strongest indication yet that the $291 million facility is performing better than expected.

Losses were expected to pile up during the first five years of operation, and the center was nearly $1 million in the red for the first 10 months. A financial operating report for the convention center and arena will be finalized next month.

The rosier-than-expected financial picture emerged Wednesday when Mayor Mike Fahey, MECA Chairman David Sokol and Dixon announced an agreement for MECA to repay an extra $14 million the city put up to cover higher-than-expected construction costs.

Under the agreement, MECA, which runs the convention center and arena, will pay the city $12.3 million that it will receive from Qwest Communications for naming rights proceeds between now and 2017. The rest of the $14 million will be repaid by reducing the city's annual subsidy payments to MECA for the next four years.

The agreement is subject to approval by the MECA board and the Omaha City Council.

The agreement, and the facility's initial financial return, doesn't necessarily relieve pressure on the city to meet its obligation to pay off the bond issue without a tax increase.

Several funding sources for the debt repayment, including growth in the general city sales tax revenues, are unrelated to the Qwest Center's financial results.

The center has been largely funded by a $198 million bond issue approved by voters in 2000 and $75 million in private funds.

The city will pay MECA $1.5 million in an operating subsidy in 2005, 2006 and 2007 and $1.815 million in 2008 before returning to the full $2 million in 2009.

The operating subsidy continues until MECA's annual reserves build up to $5 million.

Fahey had nothing but compliments for MECA.

"They've done a great job of marketing," Fahey said. "This helps us in the short term."

Fahey, who will deliver his 2005 budget proposal to the City Council next week, said the agreement relieves some pressure on the city's finances.

"The taxpayers of Omaha put great faith in the city and MECA leaders to operate Qwest Center Omaha as financially responsible as possible," Sokol said, "and that's what we have done."

"We have had an excellent first year, and the board is pleased to have reached agreement on a repayment schedule with the city," Sokol said.

Fahey, who plans to attend Thursday's Eric Clapton concert, said the quality of the concerts, the increased number of conventions and the success of sporting events have boosted the city's economy.

The original estimates were that the arena would lose money for the first three years and the convention center for the first five years, Dixon said.

In what was described last summer as an optimistic projection, the MECA board adopted a budget with a projected $900,000 loss for the first 10 months of operation.

The loss won't be that great, if there is any loss at all, Dixon said.

The extra $14 million the city provided during construction helped in a number of ways, Dixon said.

"It really allowed us to put forward a first-class facility with all the bells and whistles we needed," Dixon said.

The facility's state-of-the-art scoreboard, high-quality arena seats and wood decorating touches in the grand ballroom all were made possible because of the 2001 agreement with the city, he said.
Coyote
City Council

Qwest turns $1 mill profit

Post by Coyote »

Qwest Center turns profit

The Qwest Center Omaha turned a $1.1 million profit during its first year of operation, beating all predictions.

The arena was the big revenue generator with double the attendance of the convention center side. Future growth will depend on generating more business for the convention center.

The financial results gave members of the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority reason to crow during their Thursday meeting.

No one seemed more delighted than MECA member Hal Daub, the former mayor who championed building the new arena and convention center.

"It is a winner," Daub said. "It is not a loser - never has been.

"The city leaders should take note of the huge economic engine this effort is providing for the city and state," Daub said.

Mayor Mike Fahey has praised the operations of the arena and convention center while challenging the financing plan Daub put together for paying off the more than $200 million in bonds needed to construct it.

"This is good news for the citizens of Omaha," Fahey said of the first-year performance.

"I don't want to be negative in any way," Fahey said, "but this does nothing to address how it was financed."

Fahey said he understands that the issues of financing and profits can confuse people. The center can operate in the black while the complicated finance plan put together four years ago to build it "is under water," Fahey said.

The first-year operating profit does not include the $2,667,000 subsidy from city taxpayers to MECA. That subsidy and the profits go into reserves to pay for future maintenance and to provide a cushion for bad years.

The city's obligation to subsidize the Qwest Center continues until reserves top $5 million.

The MECA finance report to the board stressed the direct benefits to the city and state. City sales tax, parking fees and the seat tax delivered nearly $2.1 million to city government and nearly $1.5 million in sales tax dollars to state government.

Some of those revenues, such as the seat tax, were already being generated at the old Civic Auditorium.

David Sokol, MECA board chairman, said the new facilities provide a broader economic boost by filling hotels and restaurants.

From September - when it opened - through June, 1,044,499 people attended events at the Qwest Center. About 720,000 people attended concerts, sporting events and other activities in the arena, and nearly 324,000 attended conventions, trade shows, meetings and social occasions in the convention center.

That mix is likely to change, Sokol said. Increasing the number of events in the arena in coming years could prove more difficult than on the convention side, Sokol said.

The 17 concerts held during the first fiscal year of operation averaged better than 10,000 people and the 40 sporting events - including Creighton basketball and University of Nebraska at Omaha hockey - averaged nearly 8,000 people.

A long-term subsidy has been built into the plan because of expectations of losses during the early years of operation. In 2000, before voters approved the bond issue to build the new convention center and arena, KPMG prepared a financial analysis that predicted a $1.5 million operating loss in each of the first two years.

The $1.1 million in advertising came in at nearly double the KPMG predictions and sales of suites and club seats exceeded predictions by nearly $500,000.

Income from food service did not meet expectations. MECA officials and representatives of Levy's, the caterer, said the food operation was profitable.

Sokol said the first year results are a tribute to Omahans who supported the effort to build it and have filled the facility since it opened. The staff also deserves credit, Sokol said.

"One year doesn't make a career," Sokol told other members of the board.

The budget for the new year projects a $16,000 operating loss before the city subsidy of $1.5 million.
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

If the convention center is expanded, any word if it would go towards the main exhibit hall or smaller break away rooms?

These breakaway rooms are one thing I wish Hy-Vee Hall had more of in DSM. That's why local business leaders are looking to pump a few million into the existing convention center, to keep it viable for smaller conventions not requiring so much space...or even better, having existing breakaway rooms for larger conventions that may fill the Hy-Vee Hall. The current Vets Auditorium has about 50,000 sq. ft. of floor space, but it would be the least desireable of the three venues.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I'm unaware of any expansion plans for the convention center. If money is going anywhere... it will be towards further recruitment incentives for what we already have (as another thread touches upon).
barndog
New to the Neighborhood

Post by barndog »

Well...hopefully we learn something about whats going to happen there soon, but as the article stated, they are just making recomendations to the MECA board at that point. I'm thinking we might not hear anything about it untill its eventually aprooved or denied but I also think that probably won't be too long after they submit their results.
eomaha
County Board

Public art approved for the Qwest Center

Post by eomaha »

Omaha World Herald wrote: Qwest Center art plans approved

Six large-scale steel sculptures created by regional artists will be permanently installed outside Qwest Center Omaha.

And a giant "cultural map of Omaha" made of fabric panels designed by community groups will be attached to the center's exterior wall facing 10th Street.

The projects, totaling $230,000, will be completed by summer.

The projects were designed by the Bemis Group, a local group of arts experts hired by the board of the Metropolitan Entertainment & Convention Authority, which runs the Qwest Center.

The board unanimously approved the projects Thursday morning. Neither project will require MECA funding.

The board also passed a master plan for public art created by the Bemis Group. The plan defines the scale and materials for art at the center, provides a process for acquiring and commissioning art, and identifies 20 locations for art at the center, including the projects approved Thursday.

The plan outlines a schedule for installing the art by 2011.

"With the creation of this plan, we now have a powerful tool (for) acquiring and placing art in the Qwest Center Omaha," said Mark Masuoka, executive director of the Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts and a member of the Bemis Group.

MECA Chairman David Sokol noted that the board reserves the right to approve or reject future locations and artworks.

Funding and in-kind services for the two projects already have been offered by a number of area businesses, said Todd Simon, board president for the Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts.

Valmont Industries agreed to allow the six steel sculptures to be created at its manufacturing facility in Valley, Neb. The company also agreed to contribute all materials and tools.

The artists will be paid $5,000 each.

The value of this project is estimated at $200,000, Simon said.
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

I was hoping something like this would be announced soon for the Qwest. Omaha will be a more interesting place with more public art displayed inside and out.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I hope it is not similar to the metal art which is rusting along abbott drive as you head towards the airport. I also hope its something distinguishable as *something*. But it is art and is much better than nothing.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

This is good news. The article was pretty vague about thes "large scale steel sculptures". But since it is the Qwest Center, and approved by MECA, I'm sure they will be quality sleek, modern sculptures.

I also like the idea of the "cultural map of Omaha".
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

We definitely need more public art projects along our new front door.
Coyote
City Council

Qwest Center: "The Best of the Best"

Post by Coyote »

Business Wire wrote: 'Venues Today' Magazine Announces Top Concert and Event Revenue Venues for 2004

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 14, 2004--"Venues Today" magazine has announced its annual "2004 Top Stops," naming the top-grossing concert and event facilities for the year. Madison Square Garden in New York City earned top ranking among venues with seating capacity of 15,000 - 30,000, reporting grosses of nearly $62 million on 70 shows.

The rankings are based on seating capacity, total gross revenues, total number of shows, and the total attendance at those shows. Twenty buildings placed in each category.

In other rankings, Atlantic City (N.J.) Boardwalk Hall took the top spot in the 10,000 - 15,000 capacity category, and Radio City Music Hall in New York took the top spot for venues with 5,000 - 10,000 seats. Temple Hoyne Buell Theatre in Denver was ranked first in 2004 in the 5,000 and fewer seats category.

Brand new arenas like Qwest Center Omaha, Save Mart Center, Fresno, Calif., Dodge Arena, Hidalgo, Texas, Jacksonville (Fla.) Veterans Memorial Arena and Tyson Events Center, Sioux City, Iowa, joined the venerable venues like the Mark of the Quad Cities, Moline, Ill., and Allen County Coliseum, Ft. Wayne, Ind., as the best of the best in sports and entertainment.

"This gives promoters and building managers a solid comparison of how different venues across the country, and around the world, fared this year," said Linda Deckard, publisher of "Venues Today." "It is also interesting for the general public to see how their local venue is faring on a national scale."

"Venues Today" publishes a monthly Top Stops report in their magazine, and a weekly and monthly Hot Tickets report, listing the top-grossing individual concerts and shows. The Year-End reports are out now in the December 2004 issue. For a copy of the charts, please call (714) 378-5400 or e-mail april@venuestoday.com.

About Venues Today

"Venues Today" publishes a monthly magazine and weekly e-newsletter covering the public facility management industry. The magazine provides those in the industry with news on management, touring, construction, food trends, marketing and personnel. The weekly e-newsletter covers breaking news, while the monthly magazine examines the trends. For more information visit http://www.venuestoday.com, or call (714) 378-5400.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Are major city arenas purposely discluded (besides NY) in the Qwest's seating range? Not that I've been to these places, but when the ideal concert and event venue comes to mind, places named Save Mart Center and the Mark of the Quad cities in exciting Moline, Illinois don't seem like they would be such a place. If anything this seems to tell us that we are right on par with other holes in the wall. :(
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Fresno has nearly the same population as Omaha and Jacksonville's new arena got mentioned as well. If you notice, the arenas are broken into different size categories then ranked. Sioux City's arena isn't in the same category as the Qwest Center because of the size difference. The venues listed in the article are notable mentions among arenas of all sizes based on ticket sales, attendance and number of shows.
OmahaHome
New to the Neighborhood

Qwest Center Omaha

Post by OmahaHome »

I would like to consolidate the information on Qwest Center Omaha so that people don’t have to jump and search to find stuff. I am confused. I am not in Omaha right now so it is hard for me to keep up with news….

What events does the Qwest Center currently have? (meaning stuff like Bball big 12, volleyball etc…)

What will it bid for?

When is the expansion? Is there ever going to be one?

Why is the Hilton small and look like a Holiday Inn Express?

I am confused so if someone could help me out it would be GREAT!

Gracias
I hate the new plate... I designed one way better but the stupid governer didn´t pick it.
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

Why is the Hilton small and look like a Holiday Inn Express?

Wanna hear something scary? The Hilton is apparently the tallest and highest rated hotel in the state of Nebraska.

That said, it's small and looks like a holiday in express because Mayor Fahey thought the 28 story marriott that origionally supposed to go there was too much hotel for Omaha.

As for info on events at the Qwest center, here's their website. It has events calendars.

http://www.omahameca.com/
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

The Hilton is apparently the tallest and highest rated hotel in the state of Nebraska.

On second thought, I think maybe it was the most rooms, not tallest.
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

There are several hotels that are taller, but none higher rated.
Sodak
Home Owners Association

Post by Sodak »

Yes, the Doubletree in Omaha and Holiday Inn--Lincoln are both taller. As is the Regency Hotel (old Red Lion). How sad.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

IMHO, the Hilton itself and the rooms are very nice, but the carpet they put in that place looks like they got it on surplus from 1975. Apart from that I don't have that much trouble with the place I guess, except of course for wishing it was a little taller. The lack of height however doesn't necessarily make it a lesser hotel.
nativeomahan
County Board

Hilton

Post by nativeomahan »

There seem to be too many size queens here. The Hilton Omaha is about 440 rooms, and can expand (outward, not upward) to 600 should the need arise. It is Nebraska's ONLY 4 -Diamond hotel. Council Bluffs also has a 4-Diamond hotel with Ameristar, so the metro has two 4-Diamond facilities, according to AAA.

It is a first class business hotel. How tall it is or isn't is of no concern, for goodness sakes. Most of the highly prestigious hotels in Europe and even here in America are no taller. Fire ladders often cannot extend up beyond 8 floors, so if anything it offers greater safety to all who stay there.
FatGuy
Home Owners Association

Post by FatGuy »

I can be safe in the holiday inn as well. I too am disappointed that Omaha's premier downtown hotel is so short. Part of being in a nice downtown hotel is to look out the window and say, "Wow, look at that view."

A tall building there would have had great views of the river, the pearls, the old market, cbd, and even Creighton. Instead they look at the 480 bridge and a parking lot. Oh well, being from Omaha, I am never going to be staying in the hotel. It is just too bad for our visitors.

I should be less critical. It is better than we had before.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

This may seem off topic, but I though of this plan today and this is the closest topic.

Ok heres what needs to happen. The lots outside the qwest center, yea bad idea. So this is what needs to be done. Tear down the lots and build a new entertainment district with lots of stores, hotels, resteraunts, and a movie theatre. Rather than making a bunch of shorter buildings like village point for example, maybe make them taller and have condos or office space above them. Then build a grage around the area that is large enough to support the QC and the entertainment district. Oh and then build the Marriott somewhere in that area. This is just an idea, what can I say, if I were involved in the planning of the QC i would have done a lot of things differently. But I wasn't so oh well.
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

The new(er) trend in urban and transit-oriented developments is to have retail/residential/mixed use on the outside of the building facing all street blocks, with the parking tucked in towards the rear or middle of the structure. This gives you street life on virtually every side that requires it and saves on having to acquire land and build a freestanding parking garage.

I think they need to pave over a large portion of Council Bluffs across the river, build a series of ferries to transport the cars, oxen and people across the river. That will free up enough room to build a 100-story Marriott.