Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

2008 Offutt Defenders of Freedom Air Show

Post by Brad »

2008 Air Show with the Thunderbirds!

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10233251
The Air Force Thunderbirds, an aerial performance team, will headline the show on Aug. 16 and 17, said Staff Sgt. Randy Redman, a Thunderbirds spokesman.

Offutt officials are completing the show's full program and will announce other acts this month, said Staff Sgt. A.J. Bosker, a spokesman for Offutt's 55th Wing.

The Thunderbirds, who perform acrobatic routines in F-16 jets, last headlined Offutt's show in 2004, helping draw about 300,000 spectators to the Bellevue base.
Last edited by Brad on Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icejammer
County Board

History of Air Force Week

Post by icejammer »

History of Air Force Week
Daily Nonpareil wrote:Offutt Air Force Base, Neb., has been selected as one of only three American sites to host History of Air Force Week events.

They will be held at the base Aug. 9-17.

The announcement was made Monday at the base with various dignitaries present, including Council Bluffs Mayor Tom Hanafan.

Offutt will support Air Force Week in the Heartland with numerous large and small events planned throughout the week in venues spanning the entire state of Nebraska, western Iowa, southeast South Dakota and northern Kansas.

Among the highlights will be the 2008 Defenders of Freedom Open House and Air Show Aug. 16-17 at Offutt Air Force Base.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Thanks Icejammer.  I remember reading that yesterday and forgot to say something.  Pretty cool that out of all the air shows we are only 1 of 3 cities to get it and the other two are Philly and LA!

Week of events to precede Offutt show

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10327631
TIM ELFRINK WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Omaha is one of three cities - the others are Philadelphia and Los Angeles - chosen by the Air Force to host a full week of free public events before its weekend air show.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Speaking of airshow.  Word on the street is that the B2 Stealth Bomber just landed at Offutt of anyone is around there with their cameras.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Mayor Fahey was just talking about this - and he listed a wide assortment of jets (including MiGs) that will be in town, and UP will be sending a train from Cheyenne - he is expecting 500,000 this year.
AF_Jim
New to the Neighborhood

Post by AF_Jim »

I am not looking forward to this.  A week worth of activities means we have to keep the base in tip top shape.  I don't know about Offutt, but that usually leads to commanders deciding that we need to pick up pine cones on golf courses.   :x
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Offutt Air Show canceled due to military budget cuts

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130403/N ... udget-cuts
For the first time since 1971, there will be no air show at Offutt Air Force Base this year.

Base officials announced Wednesday that because of operating budget uncertainties tied to the federal budget sequestration, the show and open house that had been scheduled for Aug. 24-25 won't be held.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Let's be honest, this is probably an easy expense to cut. Unless ticket prices could meet or exceep the costs of the logistics, fuel, and everyone involved to put on the show, it's a huge waste.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

S33 wrote:Let's be honest, this is probably an easy expense to cut. Unless ticket prices could meet or exceep the costs of the logistics, fuel, and everyone involved to put on the show, it's a huge waste.
Wasn't this a free event?

I love the people that |expletive| about it getting it cut but if they would have come out and said they can do it this year it would just be 20 bucks a person to attend they would have also bitched.

People are fun.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I don't know, I always thought there was an admission charge. But even more so, that event is expense as heck to put on.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The air shows have always been free events. There haven't been shows in prior years when there was runway work being done at Offutt. Omaha will survive.
S33 wrote:Let's be honest, this is probably an easy expense to cut. Unless ticket prices could meet or exceep the costs of the logistics, fuel, and everyone involved to put on the show, it's a huge waste.
Not to mention that you're taking part of a major military installation out of service.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It is an easy one to cut obviously.  Still sucks that it wont be happening though.  It brings in a ton of people from out of town, I am sure hotel operators are upset.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

iamjacobm wrote:It is an easy one to cut obviously.  Still sucks that it wont be happening though.  It brings in a ton of people from out of town, I am sure hotel operators are upset.
I'm sure the thousands of federal employees who will be furloughed because of the budget cuts are upset too.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

Thank Jebus.  As someone who was in military, getting voluntold to work these things as security is horrible.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

I loved the flying demos and antique airplanes.  What I really loved were the metaphors.  All the mothers and children huddled beneath the sheltering wings of a B52.  Perfect metaphor for the Cold War.   The tarmac where master seregeants were frying brats on the east, and corporals with fully loaded weapons on the west standing behind rope fence and "live fire authorized beyond this point".   Constant reminder of the reality of the place.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Having the show once every four years is probably often enough.....it's not like they have new planes or skills to show-off every year.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

GetUrban wrote:Having the show once every four years is probably often enough.....it's not like they have new planes or skills to show-off every year.
Check your PM's buddy!
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Bosco....I posted a reply...it's in my outbox now...not sure if it stays there until you read it.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

GetUrban wrote:Bosco....I posted a reply...it's in my outbox now...not sure if it stays there until you read it.
Yes it does.

There are a few in my outbox that have been there a couple months!